• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
The Bankslammer
Oct 25, 2017
doesn't sound like there's any immediate red flags so far, good stuff. weapon changing has me very curious, i guess hotd4 had grenades as a screen-clearing weapon, but this implementation sounds totally different. if i can opt to use a hotd3-style shotgun, i would be very happy, lol

SpeedBeatz

Oct 26, 2017
i'm very into what i see. quick question if you happen to know: i see the player getting coins for critical shots, is there some kind of shopping system like in golden gun?
I'm not sure what exactly they're for; they get tallied up and are part of your rank evaluation at the end of the stage, but then your count gets reset between stages. It's possible they might be used to unlock things in the final version of the game, yeah, but no idea for now.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Assuming that the game is coming out this year, Round1 locations in the USA will almost certainly get it shortly afterward, so I'm excited. If it officially releases in North America--and I don't see why it wouldn't, as every previous game has officially released in North America--then Dave & Buster's is pretty much guaranteed to be in.

The closed booth cabinet sounds almost exactly like that of Dark Escape 4D, right down to the vibrating seat and bursts of air. That is in no way a bad thing.

Wow, it feels like it's been so long since the last one

Well, HotD 4 came out in 2006. That was over 11 years ago, so it actually has been a long time since the last one.

Thankfully HotD has a good track record of coming to consoles.

Well...it has a good track of record of coming to consoles when rail shooters are actually in production. For the first few years of the 360/PS3 there was nothing. Wii got a few, but there's no way HotD 4 would ever run on a Wii. It wasn't until PSMove that we finally got a few on PS3, and THAT is when we finally got a home port of 4...in 2012, six years later.
I don't think you're going to see console ports of this or Time Crisis 5 anytime soon because, once again, this genre of game just isn't currently in production for home consoles. There is no gun or motion controller for Xbox One, and even if Kinect was still supported, it's not fast enough for this purpose. Even if Switch is powerful enough to run the current arcade games (which it may or may not be), it lacks a proper motion control solution, and the touchscreen isn't big enough to be satisfying with two players. The demand is not there for new PSMove games outside of PSVR. And no current VR platforms allow for the use of two headsets at once, so how would you even support two players?

On this topic, no light guns only work on CRT AFAIK.
How do the new Namco ones like that pictured Time Crisis work?

I believe most of them use some sort of infrared/camera tracking. The mounted gun games don't really count because the gun is basically like a big analog stick.

Namco already developed an infrared gun for home use, the GunCon3. But AFAIK, only the crappy port of Time Crisis 4 (sold with the GC3) and the Razing Storm collection (which also included Deadstorm Pirates) actually supported it.

I'm not sure what exactly they're for; they get tallied up and are part of your rank evaluation at the end of the stage, but then your count gets reset between stages. It's possible they might be used to unlock things in the final version of the game, yeah, but no idea for now.

Almost ALL Japanese arcade games released in the last few years seem to be Internet-connected, use an IC card for login, and store your progress server-side, so this sounds like a strong possibility. Of course, this will likely be disabled in the North American release because most American arcades don't seem to care =\

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
the IC card shit is fun. no idea why they take it out of the american release. people love shit like the midnight games that still have it. arcades should just stick a card vending machine in and make money

Deleted member 19761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like just what I've been waiting for, HOTD4 is my fucking favorite lightgun game. Can't wait to try this out sometime.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Looking good, and that's one Resident Evil-as-hell mansion hall entrance. Hope it comes to PC/Consoles eventually!

SpeedBeatz

Oct 26, 2017
I suppose I'll go ahead and drop this video here; it's not the greatest quality and my arm's in the way for most of it unfortunately but it is a full playthrough of the loctest

Oct 25, 2017
It's been nearly a decade and a half since the last in house game... finally...

"They're coming out of everywhere!" [comes down the only two staircases in the room as a group at incredibly hihg speed]. K.

Kinda not liking the guy's voice acting. The duo that did Kate and James in 4 were actually pretty good (Kate's 2nd VA in Special was bad tho).

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
the IC card shit is fun. no idea why they take it out of the american release. people love shit like the midnight games that still have it. arcades should just stick a card vending machine in and make money

Practically none of the IC cards on newer games store data, apart from a serial number that identifies you and gets you logged into their network. The machine has to be connected to the network for the card to do anything at all.

Most American locations that have arcade games either don't want to pay for an Internet connection, or don't want to be bothered with connecting their games to the Internet. Not to mention, the major networks (e-Amusement, NESiCA, etc.) aren't free or easy to access. Generally they're only available in Japan and/or the arcade has to pay a monthly fee to subscribe to them and/or you have to share revenue.

I'm pretty sure that the majority of newer Japanese games won't even boot if they're not connected. The North American versions of these games (when they exist) typically strip network support and then run entirely offline instead.

MadeMan

Dec 3, 2017
Sydney, Australia
I believe most of them use some sort of infrared/camera tracking. The mounted gun games don't really count because the gun is basically like a big analog stick.

Namco already developed an infrared gun for home use, the GunCon3. But AFAIK, only the crappy port of Time Crisis 4 (sold with the GC3) and the Razing Storm collection (which also included Deadstorm Pirates) actually supported it.

Interesting, do you know how close they get to feeling like a traditional light gun? Wii motes weren't bad, but didn't feel anywhere near as good as the real thing.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
Well...it has a good track of record of coming to consoles when rail shooters are actually in production. For the first few years of the 360/PS3 there was nothing. Wii got a few, but there's no way HotD 4 would ever run on a Wii. It wasn't until PSMove that we finally got a few on PS3, and THAT is when we finally got a home port of 4...in 2012, six years later.
I don't think you're going to see console ports of this or Time Crisis 5 anytime soon because, once again, this genre of game just isn't currently in production for home consoles. There is no gun or motion controller for Xbox One, and even if Kinect was still supported, it's not fast enough for this purpose. Even if Switch is powerful enough to run the current arcade games (which it may or may not be), it lacks a proper motion control solution, and the touchscreen isn't big enough to be satisfying with two players. The demand is not there for new PSMove games outside of PSVR. And no current VR platforms allow for the use of two headsets at once, so how would you even support two players?

Switch HAS a proper motion control solution. It's not as precise as the WII with the sensor bar, but it's still viable solution.
Also i remenber playing Virtua Cop on my Saturn, r Houe Of The Dead 2 on my Dreamcast with the pad.

Also Sega could bring a Gun on Switch using the Right Joycon's Infrared sensor as Sensor bar if they wanted to. I think Nintendo Labo proved the captor was pretty occurate.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Interesting, do you know how close they get to feeling like a traditional light gun? Wii motes weren't bad, but didn't feel anywhere near as good as the real thing.

The GunCon3 feels perfect. It doesn't "drift" like the PSMove does. It's accurate and responsive, a great tool to play this sort of game. And, woefully underutilized. The only potential problems are:
1) it won't work if light is pouring through a window behind the TV
2) it won't work if any other infrared sensor is also trying to work (Kinect, sensor bar, etc.)

Switch HAS a proper motion control solution. It's not as precise as the WII with the sensor bar, but it's still viable solution.

Up until now I was not aware of the IR camera in one of the Joy-Cons. I guess that means something might be possible, but how would the game read its position?

Also Sega could bring a Gun on Switch using the Right Joycon's Infrared sensor as Sensor bar if they wanted to. I think Nintendo Labo proved the captor was pretty occurate.

Wouldn't that mean that you'd need two of the IR Joy-Cons just to play? One to be the sensor, and one to actually play the game? Or am I not understanding your logic?

Also i remenber playing Virtua Cop on my Saturn, r Houe Of The Dead 2 on my Dreamcast with the pad.

Now that's just...I am so sorry.

How about a VR version? I would be thrilled.

How would two-player support work?

OP
OP
The Bankslammer
Oct 25, 2017
Up until now I was not aware of the IR camera in one of the Joy-Cons. I guess that means something might be possible, but how would the game read its position?

it would function the same as the wii and require a sensor bar (which is actually sending IR signals rather than sensing anything at all, the remote is what's picking it up)

and like you mentioned, there's the issue of only one joycon actually having the camera

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017

Have you played BOTW? It's reeeal good

The Bankslammer yyr Kelanflyter each Joycon have full gyro aiming. No need for the IR (why are folk so clueless on the switch lol) it's that good you can use it to aim a la Resi 4 in RE:R on switch.

Last edited:

MadeMan

Dec 3, 2017
Sydney, Australia
The GunCon3 feels perfect. It doesn't "drift" like the PSMove does. It's accurate and responsive, a great tool to play this sort of game. And, woefully underutilized. The only potential problems are:
1) it won't work if light is pouring through a window behind the TV
2) it won't work if any other infrared sensor is also trying to work (Kinect, sensor bar, etc.)

That's really cool. I was worried it would feel a bit janky. I should try a new light gun game when I get the chance to see how they go with the new tech. It'd be cool to see a similar solution this gen, assuming enough games make use of it.

OP
OP
The Bankslammer
Oct 25, 2017
The Bankslammer yyr Kelanflyter each Joycon have full gyro aiming. No need for the IR (why are folk so clueless on the switch lol) it's that good you can use it to aim a la Resi 4 in RE:R on switch.

i'm sure this is well intentioned but don't you think it's a bit presumtuous to assume this is based on "cluelessness"

gyroscopic pointers certainly do exist and can work pretty well (see: world of goo and little inferno on switch, gyro-based keyboard entry on PS4 OS), but for an action game in which you're making very fast movements around the screen and have an expectation of consistency in where the direction you point corresponds to on the screen, it'll make for an EXTREMELY frustrating game experience when the pointer desynchs even a little, because who the heck wants to recalibrate in the middle of a lightgun game

i hope this doesn't come across as saying the genre is "too good" for gyro controls or anything like that, but i hope i've been able to convey to some extent the difference between using gyro to aim in a lightgun game, which is focused on aiming at exact positions on screen, and using gyro to aim in a first person/third person action game, in which the relative degree that you turn is the key focus. once again, gyro controls are certainly doable, i just believe it would be incredibly frustrating and non-ideal

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I hope they make an English version for the rest of Asia and include Dreamcast level voice acting. Then I could truly relive my childhood

NexasX

Oct 29, 2017
VC3 was a good game, but I absolutely hated the tonal shift from its Model 2 predecessors.

I need my blue skies in Virtua Cop.

maxresdefaultwzk0q.jpg

YES PLEASE.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Same as now with two player co-op in VR.

Please explain. How do you fit two people in one headset, or use two headsets on one console?

Or are you asking the developers to add network support, which has never been in any Sega rail shooter before AFAIK?

each Joycon have full gyro aiming. No need for the IR (why are folk so clueless on the switch lol) it's that good you can use it to aim a la Resi 4 in RE:R on switch.

Actually, that looks terrible. You can tell that there's no calibration whatsoever, because there's no sensor to read anything. It's all just gyro so it'll fall out of sync almost immediately (and in this video, it does). It would not be a good experience for a lightgun-style rail shooter, where players expect their shots to go where their guns are pointed.

I should try a new light gun game when I get the chance to see how they go with the new tech. It'd be cool to see a similar solution this gen, assuming enough games make use of it.

Time Crisis 5 is at every Dave & Buster's, just saying =)

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
i'm sure this is well intentioned but don't you think it's a bit presumtuous to assume this is based on "cluelessness"

gyroscopic pointers certainly do exist and can work pretty well (see: world of goo and little inferno on switch, gyro-based keyboard entry on PS4 OS), but for an action game in which you're making very fast movements around the screen and have an expectation of consistency in where the direction you point corresponds to on the screen, it'll make for an EXTREMELY frustrating game experience when the pointer desynchs even a little, because who the heck wants to recalibrate in the middle of a lightgun game

i hope this doesn't come across as saying the genre is "too good" for gyro controls or anything like that, but i hope i've been able to convey to some extent the difference between using gyro to aim in a lightgun game, which is focused on aiming at exact positions on screen, and using gyro to aim in a first person/third person action game, in which the relative degree that you turn is the key focus. once again, gyro controls are certainly doable, i just believe it would be incredibly frustrating and non-ideal

I could have used better wording. My bad - let's hope it does come to the switch?

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure this new HOTD is a looker. Looks extremely fun. I hope it makes the jumps to consoles

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
Anybody else think it's weird how the zombies evaporate away like a sparkler and there's no blood or gore?

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Please explain. How do you fit two people in one headset, or use two headsets on one console?

Or are you asking the developers to add network support, which has never been in any Sega rail shooter before AFAIK?
You can use asymmetrical local multi-player. For example, with PSVR, one player uses the VR headset, and the other uses the passthrough screen output on your flatscreen (see League of War: VR Arena).

Or you can use, as you suggest, network support for symmetrical WAN multi-player (two headsets, two systems). And if they wish, I'm sure they can setup symmetrical LAN as well.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Wouldn't the view on the passthrough screen change when the VR player moves their head? That sounds like it wouldn't be very fun (or easy) to play. I wouldn't be shocked if the player on the couch got motion-sick.

There's a reason why network support has never been added to games like this (with the exception of Time Crisis 2-5, which run side by side): there is NO acceptable amount of lag. And I don't think there is much of a market for games that require two PSVR setups in the same room.

DynamiteCop!

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
I'm one of the few people who have The House of the Dead on Sega Saturn and while I'm proud to own it my god is the framerate horrible. As much as I hope for new House of the Dead it's simply not going to happen on anything modern, the only system that could even technically do it is the Switch so my hope for this in the home market is basically non-existent.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Wouldn't the view on the passthrough screen change when the VR player moves their head? That sounds like it wouldn't be very fun (or easy) to play. I wouldn't be shocked if the player on the couch got motion-sick.
IIRC, devs have the option to provide a different viewpoint for the passthrough image on the flatscreen, thus negating your concern.

There's a reason why network support has never been added to games like this (with the exception of Time Crisis 2-5, which run side by side): there is NO acceptable amount of lag. And I don't think there is much of a market for games that require two PSVR setups in the same room.
You can leave it upto the players using WAN to decide if lag is acceptable. However, LAN symmetrical multi-player would be awesome. I remember playing Wipeout, using two PSX and two huge CRTs back in the day, and that was worth it. Carrying a PS4 and a lightweight headset is nothing in comparison.

SausagePiano

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I love this series, my childhood, but why does it look like something running on the ps2?

SausagePiano

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Is this a joke? I don't think ps3 can even handle the game, infact I have doubt that not even standard ps4 can run it at 60fps like the arcade which is most likely running on a pc with more powerful specs.

Not a joke post. Please look at the first picture with the (clipping) zombies.

I am a fan of the series.