• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no

Hylics 1 always seemed to turn heads when people mentioned it in Steam Sale threads, so I figured people'd be interested in this.

Hylics isn't even considered to be a game by its creators. Described as "a recreational program with light JRPG elements," it was effectively a trippy JRPG where the gameplay was incredibly simple, the art style hauntingly unique, & the dialog randomly generated.

With the sequel, we're looking at another, similarly odd experience, but based on the trailer & .GIFs posted, it looks like there's going to be a coherent plot beyond simply going to areas as they open up. Plus, those visuals are as trippy as ever. All of these pics represent a game in development, of course.

tumblr_os4k2k9tRD1qlwqqzo1_540.gif

tumblr_p01vyfa9l71qlwqqzo1_540.gif

tumblr_ovj3ssxj181qlwqqzo1_540.gif

Melt me if old.

OP
OP
Zubz

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Side-note from looking up these .GIF's on Mason Lindroth's (Creator of Hylics) Tumblr, he was commissioned to do work for that Million Dollar Extreme show. You know, the one by the Neo-Nazis that aired after Eric Andre on [adult swim] a year back, & was defended by the channel's senior executive vice president Mike Lazzo until the kids behind the show doubled-down on their beliefs & controversy boiled over? Really hoping I didn't just make a thread only to get Milkshake Duck'd. It seems Lindroth was just commissioned, so I don't think he'd've known much about the guys behind the show prior, but I looked up Lindroth & can't find anything about him other than his work.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Side-note from looking up these .GIF's on Mason Lindroth's (Creator of Hylics) Tumblr, he was commissioned to do work for that Million Dollar Extreme show. You know, the one by the Neo-Nazis that aired after Eric Andre on [adult swim] a year back, & was defended by the channel's senior executive vice president Mike Lazzo until the kids behind the show doubled-down on their beliefs & controversy boiled over? Really hoping I didn't just make a thread only to get Milkshake Duck'd. It seems Lindroth was just commissioned, so I don't think he'd've known much about the guys behind the show prior, but I looked up Lindroth & can't find anything about him other than his work.
Highly doubt he knew anything about Hyde and all that shit.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao. I never finished the original Hylics, but it was quite a trip. More the better I guess.

OP
OP
Zubz

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Highly doubt he knew anything about Hyde and all that shit.

Had a feeling, but wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing. Hylics didn't impact me as much as Earthworm Jim or The Neverhood, but damned if I'm getting Tennapel'd again.

Lmao. I never finished the original Hylics, but it was quite a trip. More the better I guess.

You should definitely finish it when you get the chance. It's super easy to beat in only a couple of hours. If it helps, the only stats that matter are Flesh, Will, & Strength, & it's pretty easy to power through everything except...

the maze under the graveyard w/ the instant-death monsters & the final boss.

Mipmap

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
I loved the first Hylics. This one is looking to be even more of a visual treat. Seems a lot more animated than the first.

OP
OP
Zubz

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I loved the first Hylics. This one is looking to be even more of a visual treat. Seems a lot more animated than the first.

Definitely. All the enemies in 1 were still images, while they're not only animated here, we have stuff like that car battle to look forward to! The .GIF from Lindroth's Tumblr looks so good!

I am going to miss Wayne's weird, stiff walking animation, though. Looked like he was doing a jig everywhere he went.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow that looks really cool. I picked up the first one but never checked it out, I should really get around to it.

OP
OP
Zubz

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Sorry to double-post/bump, but a second trailer was released today.

The scope of this game is looking to go above & beyond anything I expected from Hylics 2. I'm honestly pretty excited looking at this!

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this must be some strange new usage of the word recreational that I wasn't previously aware of

Kellan Jett

Jun 7, 2018
Giant massive Hype. the realtime 3D filter hes doing on those scanned clay models in the overworld is crazy. and that grid based first person maze section, holy shit. and the use of those gloved hands. god damnit. This new one is one of my favorite trailers of all time.

also i didnt expect more locomotion mechanics. aaaagh

OP
OP
Zubz

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Looks like this trailer showed we're definitely getting the original 4 party members back. I wonder if that other girl was a placeholder, or if we're going to have a 5 character party this time around? The UI appears to have room for 6!

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is a mostly great idea but I feel like they chose being as weird as possible for the sake of weird over being weird yet appealing or telling some greater story.

OP
OP
Zubz

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Is this the style of music that will be in the game?
Aside from that it looks really cool.

It's a safe guess. Hylics 1's OST was similar, albeit a bit more upbeat.

I think it is a mostly great idea but I feel like they chose being as weird as possible for the sake of weird over being weird yet appealing or telling some greater story.

Ooh! New people to the series, I take it? I'm always happy to see a series I love grow!

The dialogue to the first game was randomly generated for the most part; story didn't seem to be the priority. The aesthetic was the priority. Honestly, this is looking to have a greater story compared to Lindroth's games by virtue of the game having a greater scope than most of his platformers.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
It's a safe guess. Hylics 1's OST was similar, albeit a bit more upbeat.

Ooh! New people to the series, I take it? I'm always happy to see a series I love grow!

The dialogue to the first game was randomly generated for the most part; story didn't seem to be the priority. The aesthetic was the priority. Honestly, this is looking to have a greater story compared to Lindroth's games by virtue of the game having a greater scope than most of his platformers.

It's so close. I love the low-fi, discordant colors, claymation, intentionally awkward animation loops, pixel art so that it all looks like it dropped off a PC CD from 1996.
Not a fan of the randomish creature design and the discordant music.

The flying vehicle sequence of trailer 2 looks perfect, but I wish the enemies were simpler design. Like a nice looking cat enemy or something, not drawing lines over and over until it's just a scribble.

There's also too much consistent care for it to be a statement about design or something. Not enough intentional crappiness.

OP
OP
Zubz

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
It's so close. I love the low-fi, discordant colors, claymation, intentionally awkward animation loops, pixel art so that it all looks like it dropped off a PC CD from 1996.
Not a fan of the randomish creature design and the discordant music.

The flying vehicle sequence of trailer 2 looks perfect, but I wish the enemies were simpler design. Like a nice looking cat enemy or something, not drawing lines over and over until it's just a scribble.

There's also too much consistent care for it to be a statement about design or something. Not enough intentional crappiness.

That's fair. I'd love a game like that, too! But this is exactly Mason's art style, so I don't think we're getting anything that concrete.

Wow, it's sadly really unpleasent for my ears. :/
Looks dope otherwise though.

Really? That's one of the chillest songs in games for me!

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
The overworld traversal in the ship looks a little out of place and the soundtrack should have been Ween, but it still looks to be one of the most unique art styles in gaming.

OP
OP
Zubz

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Perhaps my taste in music is strange, but I don't believe I could listen the whole game to such a soundtrack.

Nah, that's fair. Like everything else about the game, Hylics' OST is... unique. Like, every minute or so, the final boss' theme picks up a drum loop that makes you think it's going to pick up into something hype for about 5 seconds before returning to the same, slow, guitar chugging song it was previously.

The overworld traversal in the ship looks a little out of place and the soundtrack should have been Ween, but it still looks to be one of the most unique art styles in gaming.

W-was Ween on the table?

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...okay I'm a hundred percent in.

I liked the first game but being plotless hurt it more then i thought, and it seems more proof of concept to this.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zubs of course you made this, blessed thee.

Gonna finally beat first one now just to prep for the sequel

OP
OP
Zubz

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Zubs of course you made this, blessed thee.

Gonna finally beat first one now just to prep for the sequel

Thanks! Hylics 1 stuck with me, even if it was short. But hey, that means it won't take you long to beat the first one! I knocked it out in just a couple short sessions, & that's mostly because of something in the penultimate dungeon.

This is looking amazing.. a 90's style PC big box release(even if empty inside lol) would b awesome.

I never even considered this... Yeah, I'd buy that immediately, too!

....I should look up Hylics 1....

You should! It's only $3 , & if that's too much, it's on Steam & frequently goes on sale down to $2. So if you're all about the Jeffersons, then this is the option for you.