• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Got the new Switch yesterday, but does anyone with the new system notice scan lines on fast motion? Traded in my old Switch yesterday so I couldn't compare. I don't think I've noticed it on my launch Switch.
Yes I noticed this the other day. I thought maybe I'm just going crazy. I see scan lines when there's motion but not when it's sitting idle.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
Pro might not even happen (sadly).

As for the battery life, it seems to be roughly 1.5x and maybe 2x the battery life of the original.
Never say never. If they want to stay competitive they're going to have to have a more powerful option.

Nintendo usually has upgraded options down the road.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Tell that to every single person with a defective launch Switch. Let's see how long you last.
lmao what is this, "fite me irl"?

My day 1 Switch is fine. Other than there obviously being an issue with the design of the joycon sticks I've never even heard of this supposed issue where "most people's" launch Switches are "falling apart"

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
lmao what is this, "fite me irl"?
Er, no? It's more of a joke.

My day 1 Switch is fine. Other than there obviously being an issue with the design of the joycon sticks I've never even heard of this supposed issue where "most people's" launch Switches are "falling apart"
Well, based on the multiple videos I've seen about the plastic bending and breaking I would say "most people".

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019
I would replace mine if they added BlueTooth audio. It would be wonderful to be able to use my buds without needing a stupid dongle sticking out of the bottom of my un-dockable Switch.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
There is if your launch Switch is falling apart like most people's.
Launch day Switch here, it's indeed falling apart. Didn't crack externally but did inside I think, the upper rightmost screw broke internally or something because it separates entirely. Was fine for months but recently the kickstand fell out as did the internal plastic/screws it latches into. Nevermind the two sets of drifting joycons I've now gone through. Just thought you might like an account that yes, this does happen.

I also don't "abuse" my Switch or any of my devices so the defense force can preemptively stuff it. :)

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Got 4.5 hours for Three Houses on a full charge.
Was averaging around 2.75 hours before, so decent improvement, but I was hoping for 5+.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Yes I noticed this the other day. I thought maybe I'm just going crazy. I see scan lines when there's motion but not when it's sitting idle.
You know what's weird about this... it's not a new thing. After I read your post I googled and found lots of complaints of that from launch.

May 30, 2018
Got the new Switch yesterday, but does anyone with the new system notice scan lines on fast motion? Traded in my old Switch yesterday so I couldn't compare. I don't think I've noticed it on my launch Switch.

this comment mentions the scanlines going away after a bit - is this the same for you both? how bad are they? i haven't noticed anything like this on my current device and i'm worried it would bug me.

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg
Picked up the new Switch today (first time Switch owner) with FE:3H and BOTW. Do y'all recommend the 8bitdo SP30+ or Pro Controller?

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I've been playing with my new Switch for a few hours now. It's pretty cool. I want to see if I can get a good deal on the big titles so in the meantime I downloaded a bunch of demos instead.

I'm glad I got the 400gb card, soft case and glass protector. Gives me a lot of peace of mind. As for the system itself, it's a little heavier than I've been imagining. I can't hold this up while on my back without fingers getting tired so I have to prop it on a pillow.

Games look good in handheld mode so far. TV mode looked good, except for the fire stage in Captain Toad, looked much better in handheld. However the main menu doesn't look quite as sharp, and is remarkably barebones especially coming from the PS4.

As for the joycons, they are ok holding them separately, but are really awkward when put together. When attached on the system it's fine for 30 minutes or so, but with the system as heavy as it is, I'm gonna need something more ergonomic. And those 4 buttons masquerading as a dpad... really hate that. Gonna look for a 3rd party joycon replacement that fits my hands and has a dpad for handheld mode. For tv mode might also look into a Pro controller or 8bitdo Bluetooth dongle for my PS4 controller.

Otherwise, yeah I'm going to dig it as a 2nd console (alongside my 2dxl) to my PS4 primary.

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
Glad I upgraded to the new hardware. I managed to have two 2.5 hour sessions over the span of two nights playing Fire Emblem on a single charge.

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
are there news on the new switch availability from europe ? germany, uk etc. ?
If you're in the UK it's filtering through to Smyths Toys but most don't have them atm. Argos might be getting stock on the 18th of this month but we're not sure if there will be a new listing, so you may end up buying an old Switch potentially.

Last edited:

sQr

Jun 28, 2019
You guys give me hope. I go to vacation on august 29, maybe i can manage to find one before it - Hungary.

Dec 23, 2017
Wife wanted to get this. Had to explain what it was. We will just be waiting for the next iteration of switch. Good to see people are enjoying the battery life.

Benes

Apr 17, 2019
I am also an european waiting for the Switch+ (why they didn't brand it with a new name or description? It's going to be a mess with the shop clerks or in the used market) and with a vacation incoming in the late august. :)

Needlees to say, I am constantly checking this thread for any sights on the new model.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I dont have a Switch yet but this is great, glad I waited cause having a better battery life is one aspect I wouldnt mind when playing portable (even if it may not be that much).

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know if GameStop take my Switch as a trade in with a broken vent cover at the top:

if3WbzJ.jpg

System works great. Just broke those few pieces of plastic that cover the vent.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Pro might not even happen (sadly).

As for the battery life, it seems to be roughly 1.5x and maybe 2x the battery life of the original.

It's not. The battery life in the new Switch revision seems to have been increased by, on average, about two hours. However, that drops down markedly when processor intensive games/game areas are being displayed - I can't remember where I saw it but as an example, it's only just over an extra hour if in Korok Forest in BotW.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
It seems that the Nintendo Switch revision has started to appear in Europe.

I stand corrected. He got it from Amazon US, not from an European retailer.

Last edited:

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
It's not. The battery life in the new Switch revision seems to have been increased by, on average, about two hours. However, that drops down markedly when processor intensive games/game areas are being displayed - I can't remember where I saw it but as an example, it's only just over an extra hour if in Korok Forest in BotW.
Another reason to wait for an interesting feedback and analysis from Digital Foundry

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
It's quite significant in most use cases. I was able to play Fire Emblem two nights in a row for a couple hours each time and still had juice left over. Wouldn't have made it through day one on my old Switch.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

I'm playing FE3H and Rocket League and it definitely feels longer.

But I was basing it off reports of the battery life and Nintendo's own estimations:

Toms Guide said Smash went from 2:45 to 4:50

Gamexplain said Zelda went from 2:30 to 4 hours

That falls into the 1.5 - 2x increase.

Edit: another comparison

Wow. This guy got 7 hours from Smash. Must be a typo?

Last edited:

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
New Switch, listed as Switch 2019, is in our database at work finally. Nothing up on the website yet. I estimate September.
This is at a major retailer in Sweden

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Have there been any impressions shared on the fan curve/noise on the new model?

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ive been going back and forth on this for days now, do i spend 93 bucks on upgrading my current switch...or wait another month and spend 212 on another switch that has the portable benefits that this will give me

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Ive been going back and forth on this for days now, do i spend 93 bucks on upgrading my current switch...or wait another month and spend 212 on another switch that has the portable benefits that this will give me

You already have a switch.. perhaps you can wait a bit for the portable version and at the same time get more feedback.
It's not gonna go away

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but Nintendo of America will swap your old Switch for a v2 if you bought it on or after July 17, 2019.

Call NoA for an RMA number.

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017

First scan and now Argos - seems like the 23rd August may be the date places get stock and have it available for sale.