• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Those red boxes are really clean, much nicer compared to the original ones.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
for anyone considering returning their old switch for the new one: I saw this on twitter/reddit this morning.

also:

To anyone wanting to do this, please keep in mind with this that to do the transfer you need to buy the system outright first. Also check if the store will let you return and rebuy the new system with your trade-in credit

Last edited:

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I thought about looking into this but you'd still have to trade at a place like Gamestop to keep your games, right? And hope they'd let you update the new machine, and then do a transfer? We're still not at the point where I can just buy new hardware, login and then keep all my past purchases, right? This is my current hurdle as I don't need a second Switch.

for anyone considering returning their old switch for the new one: I saw this on twitter/reddit this morning.

Yeah saw this on reddit yesterday which really got me excited, then I thought about what I wrote above.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I thought about looking into this but you'd still have to trade at a place like Gamestop to keep your games, right? And hope they'd let you update the new machine, and then do a transfer? We're still not at the point where I can just buy new hardware, login and then keep all my past purchases, right? This is my current hurdle as I don't need a second Switch.

Yeah saw this on reddit yesterday which really got me excited, then I thought about what I wrote above.
You can certainly do that, it's the saves that're the issue sometimes - like with Splatoon 2. For that you need a direct transfer between two machines.

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
"Only" an extra hour and a half is like a 50% increase for super demanding games like BOTW.
Worth noting that there was test was under peak conditions - so brightness and volume set to max with WiFi. Other youtuber have achieved the 5.5h with medium brightness and volume and no WiFi.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
"Only" an extra hour and a half is like a 50% increase for super demanding games like BOTW.
I was saying that in comparison to what Nintendo claimed. You're right in that it's a pretty good upgrade on paper.

Worth noting that there was test was under peak conditions - so brightness and volume set to max with WiFi. Other youtuber have achieved the 5.5h with medium brightness and volume and no WiFi.
That sounds promising

Oct 27, 2017

To anyone wanting to do this, please keep in mind with this that to do the transfer you need to buy the system outright first. Also check if the store will let you return and rebuy the new system with your trade-in credit

OP
OP
Mcfrank

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Are we sure that this will not produce any kind of performance boost? Isn't the battery life due to a better chip? I'm interested in the game stop deal but have no need for a better battery

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are we sure that this will not produce any kind of performance boost? Isn't the battery life due to a better chip? I'm interested in the game stop deal but have no need for a better battery

It's possible that it could be an Xbox One -> Xbox One S situation where minor architectural and process improvements result in extremely tiny performance gains, but it's not going to be anything noticeable. If there was a meaningful performance improvement then Nintendo would advertise it.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is Nintendo warranty international ? Amazon USA now deliver to Europe as we pay import taxes to them directly. It's just 10e more expensive than price here and 1 month earlier .... need to know about warranty

Deleted member 58401

Banned
Jul 7, 2019
So, if I trade my old switch in with the original drifting joycons, I essentially come out even and have a new switch? And yes, I know Nintendo will repair them. I'm lazy.

Deleted member 32442

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Germany
it also has a better screen

Old Switch Moddel max brightness: 291 Nits
New Switch Model max brightnesst: 318 Nits
Old Switch colour temp: 7200 Kelvin more blueish
New Switch colour temp: 6757 Kelvin warmer picture therefore more colour accurate

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's say I have a lot of catching up to do and want to get at least 10 games on digital for it this year.

Would this card be enough?

510Kzz4c1bL._SX679_.jpg

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017

We are at that point, the only thing you need to worry about is losing any saves from games that don't support cloud save (assuming you're a Switch Online user )

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
that feeling when you got a switch at launch for animal crossing but there is a major hardware revision before it even comes out....

TheTurboFD

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
Never done this stuff with nintendo before. How do I get all my saves saved if I wanted to trade it in for the new?

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it also has a better screen

Old Switch Moddel max brightness: 291 Nits
New Switch Model max brightnesst: 318 Nits
Old Switch colour temp: 7200 Kelvin more blueish
New Switch colour temp: 6757 Kelvin warmer picture therefore more colour accurate

I would bet strongly that there's a screen lottery. Even on the original Switch model there can be pretty substantial variations between different units' screens. Those kinds of differences are probably just within that margin of variation rather than any deliberate or consistent screen upgrade.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I picked up mine at Walmart last week. Haven't measured the difference but I definitely noticed the longer battery life with Fire Emblem.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, not worth it for loosing the potential of possibly adding CFW onto the switch in the future. (but at that point i'll just buy another switch outright) (in regards to trading in my switch and spending $75 for just some extra battery life)

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Never done this stuff with nintendo before. How do I get all my saves saved if I wanted to trade it in for the new?
If you want everything copying over including saves like Pokemon which aren't backed up to the cloud, you'd have to ask the store to let you use the account transfer function on the switches to copy over your stuff to the new console.

It's very similar to the 3DS as far as I'm aware.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
Alright, what else would you recommend for a newbie? A sleeve to keep from scratching the screen? Pro Controller?

Both of those things.

Without question the first thing on your list should be a screen protector. If you're OK with a plastic one (I've got tempered glass) the official Nintendo Switch cases come with one. Get that on there as soon as you take it out of the box!

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, what else would you recommend for a newbie? A sleeve to keep from scratching the screen? Pro Controller?

- Screen protector to protect the screen from scratches.

- If you'll be using it a lot docked, I'd recommend the pro controller yeah, if you aren't using it that much you can probably get away with using the joycon grip they include with the console.

- A case if you're going to be travelling with it.

- If you think the console in handheld form is a bit uncomfortable I'd recommend getting one of those jackets/sleeves which adds grips to the sides of the console(an example being the Skull & Co. GripCase) so it feels more like a controller.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
If you trade in your hackable Switch it's your loss tbh. They're gonna be pricey in a few years.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping this comes to the UK shortly, Game doing £175 trade in at the moment for a Switch, I would like the improved battery life and my dock has magically started working again so I guess I should trade it in before it stops again