• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I always travel with an Anker battery that lets me get 18 hours of battery life, so it isn't for me.

Yeah, I bought a RavPower one but it was designed for the switch and the biggest airlines will let you carry with you. Since I use a mini backpack for my purse that battery goes everywhere with me (good thing too as my iphone barely can keep a charge now... and it's not the battery or rather what started it wasn't though I'm sure the issue has killed the battery now too. Phone is getting replaced in a month or so but for right now it's nice having a charger in my purse).

Part of me would like a better battery in my switch but 1. I have it set up so that it's just a little inconvenient if the battery dies cause I just have to have it connected to that battery. 2. I have the hackable switch and even though I doubt I ever will hack it part of me doesn't want to give that up. 3. I really don'tw ant to deal with the hassle of changing over my data files at gamestop (I think sadly this might be my biggest hurdle).

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping this comes to the UK shortly, Game doing £175 trade in at the moment for a Switch, I would like the improved battery life and my dock has magically started working again so I guess I should trade it in before it stops again
No real reports that it has landed yet tbh. No idea when it will start filtering in considering Nintendo said early September.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I'm still going to hold out until I get confirmation if a beefier model is coming like the 3dsXL upgrade. I just can't justify going through all the effort of transferring, changing stuff, getting refunds, trading in, etc just to get some more battery life.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And once I get that glass protector, I don''t really need the sock sleeve?

713M0ngLx6L._SL1500_.jpg

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Just realized that the GameStop trade in deal is for credit and not for cash like last week. I almost impulse bought it.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, not necessary at all if you get a glass screen protector.
Nope, not necessary. Infact I'd be worried about overheating with that kind of case on it while its docked, lol.
Okay then,

System
Pro Controller
Glass Protector
Case
Online subscription

Think I'm ready for my first Nintendo console! (though I've had handhelds like 2DXL and SP)
Just have to pick 2-3 games to start off with from my youtube playlist:

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Okay then,

System
Pro Controller
Glass Protector
Case
Online subscription

Think I'm ready for my first Nintendo console! (though I've had handhelds like 2DXL and SP)
Just have to pick 2-3 games to start off with from my youtube playlist:

Super Mario Odyssey
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
(Super Smash Bros. Ultimate)

These are the absolute essentials, you can't go wrong with these!

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where do I go for discounted digital games and gift cards? I've used slickdeals for PSN stuff but is there any other I don't know about?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's really tempting to get this and use my launch for....uh, *experimenting*, but I know the actual pro will be next year.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is absolutely zero need to upgrade to this.

Buy a £20 powerbank and quadruple your battery life.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the new version is worth the upgrade for current Switch owners. Too much money and time investment (buy first, transfer, sell) for a small battery upgrade without anything else.

For future Switch owners though this is a nice improvement.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I don't think the new version is worth the upgrade for current Switch owners. Too much money and time investment (buy first, transfer, sell) for a small battery upgrade without anything else.

For future Switch owners though this is a nice improvement.

I totally agree.
I'm sticking with my og switch, but that's cool for those who'll bite from now on.
I'll totally buy a potential "new" or "pro" switch if (when ?) it ends up becoming real

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Get a glass screen protector, the Orzly one is good.

Are Switches installed with glass screen protectors able to fit inside the dock? I'm not seeing myself playing the Switch outside the dock much, but the reported screen scratching some docks have caused has me thinking about getting one regardless.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
There is if your launch Switch is falling apart like most people's.

If your hardware 'falls apart' after just one and a half year max, should you really consider getting basically the same thing again?

We don't know anything about improved build quality and I wouldn't expect it since it is, again, basically the same device. The known issues such as joycon drift will not be gone all of a sudden either.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I second this. 8BitDo adaptor is an amazing (and a WAY cheaper) alternative to Pro controller.
You can also use an Xbox One S controller which feels superb because it has trigger rumble and it feels similar to HD rumble.
third, 8BitDo adaptor has been a godsend for me, but if you dont want that, there is that new controller that company made thats like $40ish and really good.

MrFortyFive

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Happily took advantage of the Gamestop deal this morning. Improved battery life and a refreshed pair of joycons were worth it for me. Still had the launch pair and they were starting to show their age. Even when they were new they were a little off out of the box. Luckily I didn't have a cloud incompatible save to worry about, but the cashier told me I could have done a system transfer in store if I needed to.

Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with yours??

Mine is a launch system and the only dodgy things are the shitty joy-con.
Same. The system itself is fine but the joycons have issues. The rubber bit on the left joystick somehow managed to come off at one point and I was never able to get it back on properly. That one also started drifting recently and the right one started having sync issues and disconnecting a ton while playing fire emblem recently. I know they at least fixed the antenna position in the latest model joycons so that's something anyway.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
it also has a better screen

Old Switch Moddel max brightness: 291 Nits
New Switch Model max brightnesst: 318 Nits
Old Switch colour temp: 7200 Kelvin more blueish
New Switch colour temp: 6757 Kelvin warmer picture therefore more colour accurate

Im hoping to see some comparisons shortly but the screen lottery is definitely in play here. I have a feeling overall screens will be worse than launch units as Nintendo moved suppliers from where apple gets their screens to cheaper alternatives.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Hope gamestop has some trade in deals for it... I have spare consoles that I would trade for one.

Rolling Nowhere

Alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2019
There is absolutely zero need to upgrade to this.

Buy a £20 powerbank and quadruple your battery life.

It has internal batteries that are 2+ years old. By now that battery has probably lost 10-25% of its capacity. Plus wear on the rails and sticks. Getting new hardware (plus a bonus battery life bump) is a nice deal at $75

Oct 25, 2017
Im hoping to see some comparisons shortly but the screen lottery is definitely in play here. I have a feeling overall screens will be worse than launch units as Nintendo moved suppliers from where apple gets their screens to cheaper alternatives.
True about that screen lottery. One guy who got the new model from gamestop in the other thread had dust specs under the screen and you know since it's gamestop you can't return/exchange it.

Oct 27, 2017
Hope gamestop has some trade in deals for it... I have spare consoles that I would trade for one.
They had them last week and had $200 cash or credit when I traded mine. You need both systems to transfer certain saves like Splatoon 2. Now cash is down to $160 but credit is still $200. Best you will get from GS, I think they may have a $25 bonus credit atm so $225 in store credit.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I personally prefer the 8BitDo USB adapter if you already have a DualShock 4 laying around.
For the sake of input lag, I'd recommend one of Brook's adapters instead. But I suppose it won't matter much in a casual setting. Plus 8BitDo allows for wireless controller use.

ninjabreadman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Picked one up I'm the UK today, Smyth's had them weirdly enough. Then went to Currys who have £5 off cases and controllers.