• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017

Thing is a monster and barely under the max you can take on a plane. Used it for international travel for a few years now and I love it.
If any of you are interested in a portable power bank but don't want to spend $130 on one, this one is $40 on Amazon ($45 if you're not a Prime member):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019IFIJW8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_EdVuDbXD4MK2P

I own this and it's gotten me through several international flights no problem.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if gamestop would trade in a switch with a 3rd party dock?

I dunno if anyone answered you yet, but my store said it has to be the OG equipment. Switch, dock, and JoyCon. They don't need the Joycon straps or grip.

When I bought mine, I just gave them the dock from the new Switch as it was kind of pointless to swap it with one of my two existing docks.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Let's say I have a lot of catching up to do and want to get at least 10 games on digital for it this year.

Would this card be enough?

510Kzz4c1bL._SX679_.jpg

I have like 35 games digitally maybe more... hard to tell cause all the demos I have downloaded... that's a good sized card... won't last you forever ... but it's a good size

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
It's funny that I have no need for this at all because I play docked 99% of the time but I still want it because it's "new"

The GameStop trade-in is very tempting but honestly the whole game save thing would probably be a huge pain in the ass so I'll just hold off until / if they do an actual power upgrade in the future.

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno if anyone answered you yet, but my store said it has to be the OG equipment. Switch, dock, and JoyCon. They don't need the Joycon straps or grip.

When I bought mine, I just gave them the dock from the new Switch as it was kind of pointless to swap it with one of my two existing docks.

I contacted my store and they would take the old switch but simply open the newer unit and keep the dock from it, so pretty lenient.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
Almost got me, but no thanks. I'd rather just trade it in for the Pro next year. $75 for an hour more of battery just isn't worth it.

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
Just FYI for UK folk:

Smyth Toys may have stock (like the poster above) but it's store dependent. The store near me won't have it another couple of weeks, but you may have better look than me.

John Lewis don't know atm.

That's it.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Almost got me, but no thanks. I'd rather just trade it in for the Pro next year. $75 for an hour more of battery just isn't worth it.

Pro might not even happen (sadly).

As for the battery life, it seems to be roughly 1.5x and maybe 2x the battery life of the original.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
So does the Gamestop trick actually work, or am I likely to lose out on a big chunk?

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I impulse bought one from Target today, and will just sell my launch console on Facebook marketplace.

Can't beat the 5% RedCard discount.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
debating if I should trade in my launch Switch for one of these.

I already have a spare hacked Switch. But...I want to keep legit on my regular Switch and that newer processor (T214 Tegra vs originals T210 Tegra) along with better screen and battery life due to new SOC...all for only an extra $100 after trade in.

I am already getting the Pokemon Lite model as well...I'm starting to get crazy with Switches like I did with 3DS...

Last edited:

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
it also has a better screen

Old Switch Moddel max brightness: 291 Nits
New Switch Model max brightnesst: 318 Nits
Old Switch colour temp: 7200 Kelvin more blueish
New Switch colour temp: 6757 Kelvin warmer picture therefore more colour accurate

This is actually news to me. Those are nice improvements, where did you get the info ?

Also, do you know if the Lite model would retains those updated characteristics within the lower size (higher PPI) ?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it also has a better screen

Old Switch Moddel max brightness: 291 Nits
New Switch Model max brightnesst: 318 Nits
Old Switch colour temp: 7200 Kelvin more blueish
New Switch colour temp: 6757 Kelvin warmer picture therefore more colour accurate
I prefer the tint closer to blue thus making this a big ding. Otherwise White comes out a little yellow.

gar3

Oct 25, 2017
New Cumberland, PA USA
Traded-in my launch day Switch at GameStop this evening. First time I have ever traded in a console before. Paid $92.99 in Pennsylvania, USA.
The Joy-Cons on my launch Switch were always very loose when connected to the console. With the new one there is no more wobble which is fantastic.
My Switch's screen was also scratched on its sides day one due to the dock and it got progressively worse over time. With this Switch I'll use a USB-C extension cable and HORI Playstand and never worry about that again.
Can't comment on the screen differences. Can't comment on the battery life. At the moment I'm re-downloading a ton of software and, sadly, it'll be a while :-/
But for me, I am quite happy to spend the $93 to eliminate the scratches and fix the Joy-Cons. Without a Switch Pro on the horizon, I figured this would be as good as it gets for the foreseeable future.

Matemático

Banned
Mar 22, 2019
Brazil
Traded-in my launch day Switch at GameStop this evening. First time I have ever traded in a console before. Paid $92.99 in Pennsylvania, USA.
The Joy-Cons on my launch Switch were always very loose when connected to the console. With the new one there is no more wobble which is fantastic.
My Switch's screen was also scratched on its sides day one due to the dock and it got progressively worse over time. With this Switch I'll use a USB-C extension cable and HORI Playstand and never worry about that again.
Can't comment on the screen differences. Can't comment on the battery life. At the moment I'm re-downloading a ton of software and, sadly, it'll be a while :-/
But for me, I am quite happy to spend the $93 to eliminate the scratches and fix the Joy-Cons. Without a Switch Pro on the horizon, I figured this would be as good as it gets for the foreseeable future.

How does Gamestop business works in this trade thing???? Seems to me that they are getting a big loss.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The GameStop trade in special is pretty tempting, assuming that these new models aren't scarce. $75+tax for a double battery life upgrade seems pretty worth it to me. I PREFER to play docked at home but I end up spending the majority of my time playing portable from work, and the base battery life can be a hindrance on occasion (I carry a USB-C charger with me for my phone and Switch, though).

Oct 29, 2017
So I have NSO, so saves (with exception of a few games) are taken care of, but I have a 128 GB microSD card that all my games are on. What's the system transfer process like? Just slap that shit in there? If so, I might trade in my Switch, Dragon Quest Builders, and LA Noire, and get a new Switch for nearly free

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
That's not a bad deal in regards to GameStop. I might consider trading mine up simply because I mostly tend to play in handheld mode. Thankfully the manager at the one I go to is super cool, and they'd probably let me purchase it and do the transfer there, because if I can't carry over my saves, such as Splatoon 2, then it's not worth it.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I thought about looking into this but you'd still have to trade at a place like Gamestop to keep your games, right? And hope they'd let you update the new machine, and then do a transfer? We're still not at the point where I can just buy new hardware, login and then keep all my past purchases, right? This is my current hurdle as I don't need a second Switch.
Replying since I still haven't seen a complete response to this. Your statement, as written, is incorrect. Do note that you might save yourself some headache if you forget to uncheck your Switch as the primary device first, but even if you do forget you can unset your primary system once per year online. If even that's an issue, you can try calling. Regardless, you can sign in and download all digital purchases, primary device or not.

As someone else mentioned, saves are an issue if you don't have NSO and for these select games. If either of these affect you, then your options are limited to what you suggested OR backing up to a friend's Switch if you can access one. People seem to forget that option; transferring system to system is easy and doesn't take long (especially if you're only transferring non-cloud save games). Just keep in mind that your transferred saves will delete from the source system in the meantime, so if you were planning on transferring to a friend's and then upgrading a few days later, that may inconvenience you.

RealDealRusty

Jan 8, 2019
Need some advice here. I play mostly in handheld and have had a switch since launch. I don't find it dies too often because with the exception of flights I'm usually home or not playing long enough while I'm out. The longer battery would just mean fewer times putting in the dock when home and the safety net for flights/being out.

My main concern is down the line. If there is no special Switch for Animal Crossing or no switch pro next year, i'll still have my launch switch which will be worth less for trade-in. Does it seem worth it to just grab this gamestop deal now and have the nicer battery for the time being?

My biggest concern is the in-store transfer. How does all of that work?

My sister has a switch with basically nothing on it. Could I back my switch up to that and sell mine and then restore from hers?

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Im intrigued by the joycons being loose, it irks the fuck out of my that my barely played switch makes the joycons feel so flimsy when I play that'll be worth the price alone to upgrade

gar3

Oct 25, 2017
New Cumberland, PA USA
I asked about doing an in-store transfer at the GameStop I traded my Switch into and was told it would be a royal pain to do so at that particular location due to numerous issues. Having a free year of NSO via Twitch Loot made my decision to just deregister my account from the system, erase my microSD card and then reformat the original Switch easy. After getting home and setting the new Switch up I simply connected my Nintendo Account and then downloaded all my game saves from the cloud. After that I started the process of re-downloading all my digital games and after close to four hours I'm almost done. Certainly if I didn't have NSO I would have looked into doing the transfer in-store. NSO might be worth the cost of a one-month subscription simply to utilize cloud saves for some of you here.

Last edited:

gar3

Oct 25, 2017
New Cumberland, PA USA
Im intrigued by the joycons being loose, it irks the fuck out of my that my barely played switch makes the joycons feel so flimsy when I play that'll be worth the price alone to upgrade
I never knew just how loose my Joy-Cons were until I was handed a co-worker's newly purchased Switch one day this past Spring and felt how nice and tight that particular one was. Mine and all others I had tested previously were just as loose (but mine were the absolute worse). Like I said, coupled with the scratches on the sides of the screen from the dock it was an easy decision today for me to trade-in and be done with it.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never knew just how loose my Joy-Cons were until I was handed a co-worker's Switch one day this past Spring and felt how nice and tight that particular one was. Mine and all others I had tested previously were just as loose (but mine were the absolute worse). Like I said, coupled with the scratches on the sides of the screen from the dock it was an easy decision today for me to trade-in and be done with it.

Damn I'm tempted now, mine is so bad that I feel like I can just pull them off. It just feels so cheap that it distracts from actually playing it.

And all you did was wipe the system and SD card? You didn't have to deactivate it or some weird Nintendo ass process?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Need some advice here. I play mostly in handheld and have had a switch since launch. I don't find it dies too often because with the exception of flights I'm usually home or not playing long enough while I'm out. The longer battery would just mean fewer times putting in the dock when home and the safety net for flights/being out.

My main concern is down the line. If there is no special Switch for Animal Crossing or no switch pro next year, i'll still have my launch switch which will be worth less for trade-in. Does it seem worth it to just grab this gamestop deal now and have the nicer battery for the time being?

My biggest concern is the in-store transfer. How does all of that work?

My sister has a switch with basically nothing on it. Could I back my switch up to that and sell mine and then restore from hers?
Your launch Switch will always retain some value since it's hackable.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Really want one for the longer battery life but not a fan at all of the yellower color tone at all, always turn that off on my TVs. Shame.