• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gar3

Oct 25, 2017
New Cumberland, PA USA
Damn I'm tempted now, mine is so bad that I feel like I can just pull them off. It just feels so cheap that it distracts from actually playing it.

And all you did was wipe the system and SD card? You didn't have to deactivate it or some weird Nintendo ass process?
I edited my post but, yes, it was super easy:
-Deregister the account associated with the Switch:

-Reformat the microSD card

-Reset the entire Switch

All can be done from the system itself in that order and without issue. I collected all the stuff GameStop wanted (basically everything that came with the system including the actual Nintendo-branded HDMI cable) and in my case I still had the original box, too. After I made sure everything was there I knocked out the above 1-2-3, turned the system off, took out the microSD card, and boxed everything up. Upon arriving at GameStop the dude booted the Switch and went through a few things just to make sure it was working 100% and then grabbed a new Switch and I was out the door in under five minutes. Easy as pie and, in my case, well worth the minimal effort.

After I got the new Switch home and unboxed I put in the old microSD card and booted the system. It reformatted the microSD card yet again, connected to Wi-Fi, downloaded an update, linked my Nintendo Account, downloaded all my save data from the cloud, and then started downloading all my digital games. For me the entire process took about four hours once I got home. Not too bad overall.

RealDealRusty

Jan 8, 2019
Think I might bite the bullet and do it. I think if we're getting an AC addition it'll be Lite only and can always sell when pro comes.

Plus Gamestop is doing +$5 on each game trade-in so will be pretty cheap. Does anyone know if they'll let me give the dock, hdmi, straps from the new switch instead of packing up my own?

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Plus Gamestop is doing +$5 on each game trade-in so will be pretty cheap. Does anyone know if they'll let me give the dock, hdmi, straps from the new switch instead of packing up my own?

Call and ask on that. My guy was pretty chill and told me we could just do that. I had lost my straps so he had taken that out of the box. Everything else I wanted new tho.

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it also has a better screen

Old Switch Moddel max brightness: 291 Nits
New Switch Model max brightnesst: 318 Nits
Old Switch colour temp: 7200 Kelvin more blueish
New Switch colour temp: 6757 Kelvin warmer picture therefore more colour accurate

Everyones screens are different, I remeber threads in the past people talking about how their switch screens are dim at max brightness while others were saying the opposite.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if this Switch model and the Switch Lite is getting this Sharp IGZO display panel mentioned by the WSJ, according to the WSJ, IGZO displays have "high resolution, low energy consumption and durability":

www.wsj.com

New Nintendo Switch to Have IGZO Display From Sharp

Nintendo’s new Switch consoles will have IGZO display panels made by Sharp. The semiconducting material’s features include high resolution, low energy consumption and durability.

New Nintendo Switch to Have IGZO Display From Sharp
Videogame maker plans to refresh its lineup with new models this month and next

Aug. 7, 2019

Sharp Corp. will supply its IGZO display panels to Nintendo Co.'s new videogame machines, a top executive said, a boost for Sharp as it tries to spread its version of advanced display technology.

IGZO - indium gallium zinc oxide - is a semiconducting material that the Osaka-based display maker was the first to use in mass-produced display panels. Its features include high resolution, low energy consumption and durability."

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
The Games Men are selling these in Australia (eBay link). They're price gouging at the moment, though, charging $510. Give it another few days for them to pop up in other stores and the prices will no doubt stabilise.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
it also has a better screen

Old Switch Moddel max brightness: 291 Nits
New Switch Model max brightnesst: 318 Nits
Old Switch colour temp: 7200 Kelvin more blueish
New Switch colour temp: 6757 Kelvin warmer picture therefore more colour accurate
Does it have better volume, did they increase the range; especially with headphones it sounds low?

Last edited:

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So there's no way to get Splatoon 2/Pokemon Let's Go save data on a new Switch without having the old one in hand?

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
I saw Gamestop os giving about $225 for the original model apprently which is a really good deal for this. I'm just not sure if I want to get this model as I have this 2 year protection plan from Best Buy that ends in February 2020...

Should i wait it out? Or should i maybe just bite the bullet and trade my old switch in for this one? The battery life is a bitttt tempting.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Let's say I have a lot of catching up to do and want to get at least 10 games on digital for it this year.

Would this card be enough?

510Kzz4c1bL._SX679_.jpg

The game sizes greatly vary, Nintendo games tend to be less than 10 GB so depending on the games you buy you could even hold more than 50 games. I have like 15 games installed currently in my 128 sd.

Nov 8, 2017
I think it's finally time for me to get a Switch.

Anyone have an idea of when this will reach Europe? I'd love to get one before I go to Japan in September to make those eleven hour flights more tolerable.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I saw Gamestop os giving about $225 for the original model apprently which is a really good deal for this. I'm just not sure if I want to get this model as I have this 2 year protection plan from Best Buy that ends in February 2020...

Should i wait it out? Or should i maybe just bite the bullet and trade my old switch in for this one? The battery life is a bitttt tempting.
How does Best Buy's protection plan work, now? I know 10 years ago you would get the purchase price as a gift card. Is it that or just replacement?

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I'm pretty sure a teardown of the new model already showed it doesn't have the Sharp IGZO display. So we'll have to see what the Lite has, and if that doesn't have it, we wait until the next revision.

Sharp is owned by Innolux, the teardown showed an Innolux labeled panel, so that is not a proof in any direction.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Let's say I have a lot of catching up to do and want to get at least 10 games on digital for it this year.

Would this card be enough?

510Kzz4c1bL._SX679_.jpg

I wouldnt get anything smaller than 400gb at this point - games are getting bigger as more ambitious titles come to Switch - The Witcher 3 will be the first 32GB game in the west and certainly not the last. Same for those every growing f2p online games - Fortnite and co. keep taking more space and if you wanna try out new stuff like Warframe or DC Online they will also use up to 20gb or more.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You can always do a partial refund of the warranty at BestBuy, i did it for my first ps4 when i sent it overseas for my nephew, at least you can get some money back.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda on new Switch, brightness and volume at medium, I wonder how long it lasted. Reviews like the one posted in this thread have the Switch at max settings.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I wouldnt get anything smaller than 400gb at this point - games are getting bigger as more ambitious titles come to Switch - The Witcher 3 will be the first 32GB game in the west and certainly not the last. Same for those every growing f2p online games - Fortnite and co. keep taking more space and if you wanna try out new stuff like Warframe or DC Online they will also use up to 20gb or more.
I find it best to plan shorter term for SD cards, given how quickly they drop. Often by the time you fill up one card you can often buy a card twice the size for the same combined price as getting the larger card to begin with, and now you have 2 cards.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I find it best to plan shorter term for SD cards, given how quickly they drop. Often by the time you fill up one card you can often buy a card twice the size for the same combined price as getting the larger card to begin with, and now you have 2 cards.
It makes more sense to buy the best card you can get for 50 bucks or less - 400gb will easily let you live comfortably until Switch 2 and +1TB cards get affordable.

Also having one bigger card will always be more attractive than juggling a couple smaller cards.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
any word of these appearing in the UK yet? i sold my switch in preparation for the new model arriving.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
400gb Cards have dropped so much in price that it's a no brainer to get that vs small stuff like the 128gb or 200gb cards we used to recommend when Switch launched.

It's an issue even if you're just going to get retail, since we're seeing quite some releases requiring an internet download to play.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
Zelda on new Switch, brightness and volume at medium, I wonder how long it lasted. Reviews like the one posted in this thread have the Switch at max settings.
If I recall correctly, the ones that set the Switch to medium setting achieved close to the numbers Nintendo stated. Gamexplain's numbers does make sense, though, since the battery life improvements are mostly due to the chipset rather than the screen, and most players will not set the brightness to max levels.

Oct 28, 2017
oh ok. not had it on any of the 8 joycons i've had. at least it seems nintendo will fix it if you're affected. it's not affecting every joycon so i don't know what they could do to fix the hardware in this new revision.
It's a hardware issue it does affect every single joycon. It's just a matter of when. Every joycon has the fault. They're all ticking time bombs. By the way in the UK Nintendo still won't fix them for free. They're only doing that in the US because they're getting sued. I've had 3 joycons with the issue. The first I got replaced. My current left and right joycons have had the problem for a long time and I won't be getting replacements until I know the issue on new ones is fixed.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
oh ok. not had it on any of the 8 joycons i've had. at least it seems nintendo will fix it if you're affected. it's not affecting every joycon so i don't know what they could do to fix the hardware in this new revision.
Trust us, it will happen with time. I'm in Canada and luckily the free replacement program was applicable for me, I had to have 2 sets replaced.

For anyone who's done it, what's the process of jumping to a new Switch like? I'm not sure that I will be able to do a System transfer, so in that case what things do I need to get in order so that my cloud saves/Nintendo account don't get wiped as well?

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I was excited to pick either this or the Lite up this year, but since looking into the joycon drift issue I find it hard to justify spending money on a defective product. I am in the US though so I guess I might be able to have them sent in and "fixed" or replaced with new ones that don't have the issue later on... if they ever care to fix it at all.