• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PhoenixSFT

Oct 25, 2017
Superior, CO
Did this last night at my local GameStop, took about an hour to transfer everything over to the new system between my account and the few others I had on the system.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Trust us, it will happen with time. I'm in Canada and luckily the free replacement program was applicable for me, I had to have 2 sets replaced.

For anyone who's done it, what's the process of jumping to a new Switch like? I'm not sure that I will be able to do a System transfer, so in that case what things do I need to get in order so that my cloud saves/Nintendo account don't get wiped as well?
Your cloud saves and Nintendo account can't be wiped unless you actually wipe them on purpose... You can lose your Switch tomorrow and as long as you don't have any games that don't support/have cloud saves, nothing will be lost.Just make sure that all games that you care about actually had automatic cloud saving turned on.

Deleted member 12933

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Your cloud saves and Nintendo account can't be wiped unless you actually wipe them on purpose... You can lose your Switch tomorrow and as long as you don't have any games that don't support/have cloud saves, nothing will be lost.Just make sure that all games that you care about actually had automatic cloud saving turned on.
Gotcha. So I should be able to unselect the Switch as my primary device, Format the device/SD card and just get the new one, log myself in, redownload games on to my formatted SD card again and load my saves from the cloud (as long as the games' saves were uploaded).

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Did this last night at my local GameStop, took about an hour to transfer everything over to the new system between my account and the few others I had on the system.

I plan to trade mine in today for a newer version.
Do you have to have both consoles to transfer or you can just trade in the old one, go home with the new one and do everything from home?
Is there anything I should do with my current switch?

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Took less than a half hour to transfer. I deleted all saves that were backed up through NSO and left Pokemon Let's Go, Splatoon 2, Fortnite, and Minecraft. I did forget to backup screenshots and videos from the microSD card, but all videos have been uploaded to Youtube and I don't value most of the screenshots I had. Forgot that Switch doesn't like a microSD card from another console, regardless of any transfer of profile.

More of the time spent had to do with signing in with a randomized password and 2FA enabled, and two system updates (one for transferring, another for microSD support). The actual transfer in store of 500MB took about 1-2 minutes. To their credit, the download speed for firmware updates was pretty quick for having supposedly "bad" internet.

Now in the process of downloading software/cloud saves again. Not at home so it will take a while.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Traded-in my launch day Switch at GameStop this evening. First time I have ever traded in a console before. Paid $92.99 in Pennsylvania, USA.
The Joy-Cons on my launch Switch were always very loose when connected to the console. With the new one there is no more wobble which is fantastic.
My Switch's screen was also scratched on its sides day one due to the dock and it got progressively worse over time. With this Switch I'll use a USB-C extension cable and HORI Playstand and never worry about that again.
Can't comment on the screen differences. Can't comment on the battery life. At the moment I'm re-downloading a ton of software and, sadly, it'll be a while :-/
But for me, I am quite happy to spend the $93 to eliminate the scratches and fix the Joy-Cons. Without a Switch Pro on the horizon, I figured this would be as good as it gets for the foreseeable future.

Man between the JoyCon wobble elimination and the battery life, I'm extremely tempted to do this.

Just worried about losing saves, etc...I know it probably wouldn't be a problem but I'm paranoid about that kind of stuff.

May 30, 2018
the only thing keeping me from doing this trade in is me banking on both of my first-run, hackable switches being worth more than 225 by the time the next revision rolls around. the one i use on a daily basis always had pretty poor battery life from the start but i feel like trading it in would be a mistake.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Took less than a half hour to transfer. I deleted all saves that were backed up through NSO and left Pokemon Let's Go, Splatoon 2, Fortnite, and Minecraft. I did forget to backup screenshots and videos from the microSD card, but all videos have been uploaded to Youtube and I don't value most of the screenshots I had. Forgot that Switch doesn't like a microSD card from another console, regardless of any transfer of profile.

More of the time spent had to do with signing in with a randomized password and 2FA enabled, and two system updates (one for transferring, another for microSD support). The actual transfer in store of 500MB took about 1-2 minutes. To their credit, the download speed for firmware updates was pretty quick for having supposedly "bad" internet.

Now in the process of downloading software/cloud saves again. Not at home so it will take a while.

I believe your Switch photos, videos, etc. are still on your sd card. Unless you PC formatted it. I could be wrong though.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Man between the JoyCon wobble elimination and the battery life, I'm extremely tempted to do this.

Just worried about losing saves, etc...I know it probably wouldn't be a problem but I'm paranoid about that kind of stuff.

You could always buy a month of NSO for safety if you're really gonna worried about your saves.

Shoozle

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
UK

lukus99

Oct 27, 2017
At Argos, they are expecting new Switch shipments from Nintendo on the 18th and 29th of August. I'd hope that they would be the new models. With it being a catalogue store though, can't see the item until you pay for it.

If you look on the Argos site now the only switch listings they have either come with the Fortnite download items or the £30 voucher.

I'd assume that the new switch would come under a separate listing to these two! I'll keep an eye out on the 18th, thanks for the info.

Shoozle

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
UK
If you look on the Argos site now the only switch listings they have either come with the Fortnite download items or the £30 voucher.

I'd assume that the new switch would come under a separate listing to these two! I'll keep an eye out on the 18th, thanks for the info.
That's a good point, old Switch items do list the battery length time so it should likely have a new catalogue number. I'm slightly concerned Argos may not set a new number which causes more call complaints for me...

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maan i just got one of these and it looks like there are scratches on the bezels

edit: they all came off with a microfiber cloth. idk what those were then. i blame the plastic packaging

Last edited:

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Just traded in old Switch with about 8 games split between PS4 and Switch. Walked away with $380 so I put $300 on brand new Switch. Had the $80 left so I grabbed a $20 eShop card for upcoming sales then preordered some games to help out the associate. Feels good, these promos make me think I robbed Gamestop though lol...

May 30, 2018
i just called my GameStop and the dude didn't even know about these, then told me they haven't gotten them in. seems kinda odd with all of the success stories i'm seeing here.

vegtro

Oct 25, 2017
Got the new Switch yesterday, but does anyone with the new system notice scan lines on fast motion? Traded in my old Switch yesterday so I couldn't compare. I don't think I've noticed it on my launch Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Can someone tell me what happens to your friends code and list if you don't do a system transfer? I would hope that Friend codes and lists are tied to your Nintendo account but they do things so differently that, who knows.

Pasedo

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno. Lite is just around the corner. I think I'll wait until its out and reviewed well before deciding if I upgrade to one or the other. I got this feeling the Lite will be better overall and im only a portable gamer.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't even think of a warranty. Never bought one for my PS4, that ran well up until a couple months ago when it started giving this weird "cinematic" glitching sound.

Is there any warranty better than the one Amazon provides? Is it too late to get 1 day after purchase?

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
I have a weird question about the system transfer process as I am strongly considering picking the new model up for the added battery - when you transfer everything, will the tiles for the games you have on your account (card or digital) still be displayed on the switch menu? Or do they only come back when you re-download digital titles or re-insert cards? I like having all the tiles visible.

Also, do your play time counters come over as well? I know it doesn't really do anything, but I like to see how much I have played certain games.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
The GameStop deal made me break and go ahead and replace om OG Switch. Reinstalling everything now while I work.

I have a weird question about the system transfer process as I am strongly considering picking the new model up for the added battery - when you transfer everything, will the tiles for the games you have on your account (card or digital) still be displayed on the switch menu? Or do they only come back when you re-download digital titles or re-insert cards? I like having all the tiles visible.

Also, do your play time counters come over as well? I know it doesn't really do anything, but I like to see how much I have played certain games.

I literally bought mine less than an hour ago. I didn't do a transfer and just relinked my account and my playtime was restored.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Just picked up a new Switch at the Nintendo World Store in Manhattan. They've only got red/blue units left for anyone looking.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
So many people to quote but yeah, just ignore the multiple complaints about Switch parts breaking, Joy Cons drifting, card slots falling, screen getting damaged, kickstands simply stopping working, etc.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Seriously considering doing this. I just picked up NSO with the vouchers, so all I have to do is transfer my saves to the cloud before going into the store, right?

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Is it possible to trade in a switch with no joycons? Both my launch ones are dead.