• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Your really think Switch is going to beat NDS? I think gamers like playing games on the latest piece of hardware they bought. It feels good to be paying on the latest thing. Well, PS5/Nextbox are coming next year, and they're probably going to be incredible. Switch getting PS4 ports is currently a dicey situation most often not happening. Next gen it will be impossible, even on a Switch Pro model. I think for Nintendo to stay competitive they will be to do a full on new platform. Switch 2, or whatever. Still a portable console but this time the dock has an eGPU that really boosts the unit to play games it can't play in portable mode. If they don't do this Switch is going to get forgotten. Microsoft is up to something with their attaching Xbox controller and foldable surface patents. I'm telling you, Switch isn't passing NDS. Nintendo will need to do a new platform.

The consoles power is irrelevant. We already know this. Nintendos most successful console was the least capable of recieving ports from competing hardware. If a Nintendo console is successful, it will be successful on its own merits independent of its competition and what they are doing. I feel like history has taught this lesson a thousand times.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
The extended battery life has been a blessing. Honestly pretty happy with my upgrade overall. The only downside to it was losing my play time. Turns out if you don't do a straight user data migration, all you get is a snapshot of the playtimes on your old system, and they will only be overwritten once you pass them.

So let's say I had 55hrs in Fire Emblem. I'll only see +5 to get to 60, once I play for 60 hours on the new system, meaning I would have to play that game in both systems for 115hrs combined. I ended up erasing all my playtimes and just starting anew.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
The extended battery life has been a blessing. Honestly pretty happy with my upgrade overall. The only downside to it was losing my play time. Turns out if you don't do a straight user data migration, all you get is a snapshot of the playtimes on your old system, and they will only be overwritten once you pass them.

So let's say I had 55hrs in Fire Emblem. I'll only see +5 to get to 60, once I play for 60 hours on the new system, meaning I would have to play that game in both systems for 115hrs combined. I ended up erasing all my playtimes and just starting anew.
So there isn't a down side, got it👍

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say 64GB is enough, then I realized I buy so much stuff for switch I needed to go to 128, then 256...

You might find out the same thing, but maybe not, 64 should suffice.
Just don't discount the ease of digital. No cards to carry. Man, I'm going to be digital only for the rest of my life. Easy switching. I'm up to 30-40 games and SD cards are dropping. I have a 400gb and that feels safe.

It's an amazing system that sucks you in. You can hold off on the card in the beginning but I think threep might need one. Next thing you'll know, you'll be using it on the go and will want to play some indie game. It's an amazing system.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
With the new revision I figure it's a good time to pick one up used as people offload theirs, what's a good price (£££) in your guys opinion? I don't want to overpay or miss a good deal, I'll be checking eBay.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018

Deleting playtimes doesn't fix it though iirc

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Just noticed that Swedish stores are charging $31 (300 SEK) more for the new version than the old. Is this the case as well in any other country? I fear that the Swedish Nintendo distributor is getting greedy again (they overpriced the SNES classic by a LOT.)
The SEK has declined over 10% since the launch of the original Switch, might come from that.

The SEK being weaker is one reason, the increasd chemical tax that came into effect on August 1st is responsible for about 100SEK. And games and hardware usually drops in price at or after release because we don't RRP in Sweden.

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
FYI for brits and possibly Europeans

More info suggesting 23rd iswhen most places will be getting stock. Both Scan and Argos have said 23rd, although TGC is less definitive.

Starting to think the UK posters who claimed to have gotten new Switches were trolls or not, but definetly seems 23rd is when stock starts trickling into stores.

Nov 2, 2017
I'm thinking about trading my current switch in for the new . What exactly do I need to take to GameStop for the switch for the trade in. Joy Con, HDMI and grip ? Anything else ?

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
FYI for brits and possibly Europeans

More info suggesting 23rd iswhen most places will be getting stock. Both Scan and Argos have said 23rd, although TGC is less definitive.

Starting to think the UK posters who claimed to have gotten new Switches were trolls or not, but definetly seems 23rd is when stock starts trickling into stores.

I continue to F5 mash Amazon UK, will update when it goes live. in the meantime to the above news.

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
FYI UK posters - scan has changed their release date to the 28th August so not quite sure if UK release is gonna happen 23rd... Unless its just Scan affected.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
The consoles power is irrelevant. We already know this. Nintendos most successful console was the least capable of recieving ports from competing hardware. If a Nintendo console is successful, it will be successful on its own merits independent of its competition and what they are doing. I feel like history has taught this lesson a thousand times.
NDS gave us touch gaming, a true innovation that is standard on mobile gaming today. Yeah if they can be first to invent something like that every time then they can afford to ignore power. The problem is, they really don't do it very often. VR is the next big gaming thing and they're in last place right now. Switch hybrid is a good idea, but they weren't first with it and lots of gamers just play one or the other all the time. The latest model doesn't even support the HDMI out dock. And phone makers are getting in on docks more and more. A portable with an eGPU dock would be truly unique. It would enable some PS5 ports, real VR support, and still let you play a lot on portable. Difficult to make but you know whats even harder? Inventing the next big thing before the competition.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
NDS gave us touch gaming, a true innovation that is standard on mobile gaming today. Yeah if they can be first to invent something like that every time then they can afford to ignore power. The problem is, they really don't do it very often. VR is the next big gaming thing and they're in last place right now. Switch hybrid is a good idea, but they weren't first with it and lots of gamers just play one or the other all the time. The latest model doesn't even support the HDMI out dock. And phone makers are getting in on docks more and more. A portable with an eGPU dock would be truly unique. It would enable some PS5 ports, real VR support, and still let you play a lot on portable. Difficult to make but you know whats even harder? Inventing the next big thing before the competition.

Nintendo's usually not the type of company to chase trends.

I think many people still perceive VR gaming as a pricey investment since they believe that you still need a very powerful gaming PC to experience an optimal VR gaming experience with little to no compromise. Yes, there are PlayStation 4 VR deals and the Occulus Quest, but those VR experiences come with compromises. So I think VR gaming has a long way to go before it becomes mainstream.

To play devil's advocate, all the phones that have a docking feature are really expensive, so it'll be a long while before the option to put your phone in a docking station becomes mainstream. The Nintendo Switch as of now is probably the most affordable device that has a docking feature.

Don't get me wrong. I love the idea of the Nintendo Switch successor having an external GPU dock. But if Nintendo is going to bundle the tablet with the external GPU dock, I imagine it would be very cost prohibitive. And even if the Nintendo Switch successor does use an external GPU dock, that doesn't necessarily guarantee more third party support since it's not just processing power that's taken into account.

Deleted member 32442

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Germany
Amazon germany says now wednesday 18.september earliest :(

i think i just buy the old model and a Powerbank and be done with it ^^

Last edited:

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Nintendo's usually not the type of company to chase trends.

I think many people still perceive VR gaming as a pricey investment since they believe that you still need a very powerful gaming PC to experience an optimal VR gaming experience with little to no compromise. Yes, there are PlayStation 4 VR deals and the Occulus Quest, but those VR experiences come with compromises. So I think VR gaming has a long way to go before it becomes mainstream.

To play devil's advocate, all the phones that have a docking feature are really expensive, so it'll be a long while before the option to put your phone in a docking station becomes mainstream. The Nintendo Switch as of now is probably the most affordable device that has a docking feature.

Don't get me wrong. I love the idea of the Nintendo Switch successor having an external GPU dock. But if Nintendo is going to bundle the tablet with the external GPU dock, I imagine it would be very cost prohibitive. And even if the Nintendo Switch successor does use an external GPU dock, that doesn't necessarily guarantee more third party support since it's not just processing power that's taken into account.
$299 Switch 2, compatible with old dock. Or bundle with eGPU dock for VR, 4K enhanced visuals, expanded features (like 4p split screen Splatoon), some ports. $499 bundle. Let the gamer decide. People like the idea of 1 platform to rule them all. Switch does this for some people. Sell it with a couple killer apps and I think it would do well, better than some think. People would love that bundle, and it shows a clear advantage over PS5 (portable mode). People would expect a lot of support at that price too so I think EA and Ubi would take it a lot more serious. It won't be nearly as powerful as PS5, but it will probably be 'close enough' for a lot of games. Plus people will buy 4K ports of Nintendo games galore.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
$299 Switch 2, compatible with old dock. Or bundle with eGPU dock for VR, 4K enhanced visuals, expanded features (like 4p split screen Splatoon), some ports. $499 bundle. Let the gamer decide. People like the idea of 1 platform to rule them all. Switch does this for some people. Sell it with a couple killer apps and I think it would do well, better than some think. People would love that bundle, and it shows a clear advantage over PS5 (portable mode). People would expect a lot of support at that price too so I think EA and Ubi would take it a lot more serious. It won't be nearly as powerful as PS5, but it will probably be 'close enough' for a lot of games. Plus people will buy 4K ports of Nintendo games galore.

If you're suggesting that the Nintendo Switch successor is going to have a 4K touchscreen, there's no way Nintendo would price the Nintendo Switch successor at $299.99 since very few consumer mobile devices use a 4K touchscreen. Almost all consumer mobile devices use a 1080p touchscreen or a 1440p touchscreen. And Nintendo doesn't like to sell hardware at a loss (and I don't know if Nintendo has enough capital to sell the Nintendo Switch successor at a loss).

People (including EA investors) expected more support for the Nintendo Switch from EA with games that aren't necessarily the most graphically intensive like FIFA, Madden, The Sims, etc., with some compromises, considering how much the Nintendo Switch is currently selling. And EA is still not supporting the Nintendo Switch very much. So even if the Nintendo Switch successor has a eGPU dock that makes it pretty close to the PlayStation 5 performance wise, and is selling more than the current Nintendo Switch model, there's no guarantee EA (or any company) would take the Nintendo successor seriously.

I don't know if mobile technology has progressed far enough where it's close to the PlayStation 5 performance wise (but not quite there) without also encountering thermal issues. I've heard of mobile technology being close to PlayStation 4 performance wise (but not quite there).

If Nintendo can optimise most (if not all) of their games to run at 4K at a consistent 60 fps or 30 fps, I'm all for it. But I imagine Nintendo will still use dynamic resolution to maintain a consistent framerate for most (if not all) of its games.

evilcar

Oct 25, 2017
I keep going back and forth on if I should upgrade to this, some of these battery numbers I'm seeing are really impressive. These days I generally always have my Anker 28000 with me, so I'm still super undecided.

I have the better launch screen on my switch (no yellow-ish hue), how would you guys compare the new screen to mine? Any joy-con issues pop up? Mine have been solid.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
If you're suggesting that the Nintendo Switch successor is going to have a 4K touchscreen, there's no way Nintendo would price the Nintendo Switch successor at $299.99 since very few consumer mobile devices use a 4K touchscreen. Almost all consumer mobile devices use a 1080p touchscreen or a 1440p touchscreen. And Nintendo doesn't like to sell hardware at a loss (and I don't know if Nintendo has enough capital to sell the Nintendo Switch successor at a loss).

People (including EA investors) expected more support for the Nintendo Switch from EA with games that aren't necessarily the most graphically intensive like FIFA, Madden, The Sims, etc., with some compromises, considering how much the Nintendo Switch is currently selling. And EA is still not supporting the Nintendo Switch very much. So even if the Nintendo Switch successor has a eGPU dock that makes it pretty close to the PlayStation 5 performance wise, and is selling more than the current Nintendo Switch model, there's no guarantee EA (or any company) would take the Nintendo successor seriously.

I don't know if mobile technology has progressed far enough where it's close to the PlayStation 5 performance wise (but not quite there) without also encountering thermal issues. I've heard of mobile technology being close to PlayStation 4 performance wise (but not quite there).

If Nintendo can optimise most (if not all) of their games to run at 4K at a consistent 60 fps or 30 fps, I'm all for it. But I imagine Nintendo will still use dynamic resolution to maintain a consistent framerate for most (if not all) of its games.
No it would be a 1080p touch screen, but with eGPU support for 4K on a TV. You would need the full compliment of hardware on board the portable (CPU/GPU/RAM/etc) but the eGPU would have a far stronger GPU, possibly other components as well (like a hard drive if a game only runs with eGPU). Heat would be spread across both units during 4K TV gameplay, and you would probably attach by cable to separate the heat. Basically, make the Switch what we thought it was until someone cracked open the dock to find a bunch of plastic, air, and an HDMI out.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Amazon germany says now wednesday 18.september earliest :(

i think i just buy the old model and a Powerbank and be done with it ^^
It's most likely a placeholder as when I ordered it earlier it said 31st of december still. I've been looking at most German retailers for a while now and noticed that this morning the neon red and blue original switch model is now listed as unavailable at media markt, yesterday it was still in stock. I assume that the retailers got a message today to expect the shipment soon as the Amazon page for the new model has been available for a week now simply as "unavailable", and they made it available just earlier today as well.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if the trade-in is worth it yet. I'll wait. I heard rumors that fans have been emailing Nintendo support asking for a free upgrade and all they have to do is ship it to Nintendo.

Shado

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if the trade-in is worth it yet. I'll wait. I heard rumors that fans have been emailing Nintendo support asking for a free upgrade and all they have to do is ship it to Nintendo.

They already said that it's a hit and miss thing. Also the reports are mostly for people who bought their switch in the last month or two.

Nov 2, 2017
Shoot, I'm missing a joy con strap. Can't find it anywhere.

Could gamestop still take it without it? These aren't even my original joy cons

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I know the new one "doesn't dock", but can anyone clarify this?

What if you were to attempt to use a third party adapter? Can it technically dock but physically won't, and that's why they say that, or is there something in the system that locks it out completely?

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're trading, just use a strap from the new one

I was lazy and left mine at home along with the ac adapter so I wouldn't have to unplug it: GS rep just took the new ones out of my new box and called it even. I just brought my switch, joycons and the dock.

Love the battery life and the matte finish: my launch model was super smooth. I also feel like it's noticeably lighter: anecdotally my GS rep agreed as he's done quite a few system transfers in store over the last few days with the promo.

I had $65 on a gc already so my out of pocket was only $37.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I was lazy and left mine at home along with the ac adapter so I wouldn't have to unplug it: GS rep just took the new ones out of my new box and called it even. I just brought my switch, joycons and the dock.

Love the battery life and the matte finish: my launch model was super smooth. I also feel like it's noticeably lighter: anecdotally my GS rep agreed as he's done quite a few system transfers in store over the last few days with the promo.

I had $65 on a gc already so my out of pocket was only $37.
I had lost mine(actually thought I had thrown out) and did the same swap out. Later found them in a box in a closet lol. I hated the idea of trying to sell online and figured it was a pretty good deal by gamestop standards

Gary

Oct 30, 2017
NI

What if you were to attempt to use a third party adapter? Can it technically dock but physically won't, and that's why they say that, or is there something in the system that locks it out completely?
I think you're thinking of the Switch Lite, this is about the new version of the standard Switch. The Lite isn't out until later this year so no one can test that yet.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had lost mine(actually thought I had thrown out) and did the same swap out. Later found them in a box in a closet lol. I hated the idea of trying to sell online and figured it was a pretty good deal by gamestop standards

Yeah the battery life alone was worth it to me. Might not have done it if I had to fork over $110 cash but it was a no brained since I had a gift card anyway and hardly ever set foot in GameStop.

I don't know if there have been subtle QOL changes to the system since launch but this thing just feels lighter and higher quality to me.

Oct 25, 2017
México

I think you are confusing the Switch V2 with the Switch Lite. The V2 (the one being discussed here in this thread) docks normally.