• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
IGN Article reiterating the majority of these points.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2018/07/...llivision-reboot-console-controller-and-games

Perhaps more importantly, however, is what you won't see on the Intellivision:
  • Violent Games: "[If it's] violent, if it's not E for Everyone, then no it's not going on the console." Tallarico wants the console itself to be rated E for Everyone.
  • Complicated Games: "If you can't explain the game in 10 seconds, or if it needs a manual, it's not on our system."
  • 3D Games: "There's not going to be any 3D. We're not trying to compete with Nintendo. We're not trying to build the next Zelda.... We're not going to be creating 3D worlds."
Also confirms the color touch screen for the controller that was hinted at in Tallarico's livestream.

-Original Post-

This is something all right...

Facebook Q&A is up. They discuss plans for the console but not specific tech details as those are coming October 1st.

https://www.facebook.com/IntellivisionEntertainment/videos/863584233843255/

Summary:
  • Online, Wi-Fi, capable console
  • Digital Store
  • Online Leaderboard
  • Will include as many OG Intellivision games for free as they can get (apx. 60 to 80).
  • Old games are not the focus. Not a "flashback" console.
  • Will include at least 7 new games or updates of Intellivision games. "New graphics, new sounds" but the same gameplay. These will be free and are the 10 games mentioned in the VB article.
  • 20-50 new games on the store at launch.
  • Project has been in the planning stages for "many years". Not trying to cash in on the Nintendo Classic craze.
  • Aiming for the "games for everyone" crowd. Want families to be able to play together at the same level. Don't want to have games just for kids, casual or hardcore games. Everyone is at the same level as importance when getting software for the console.
  • They understand that the console needs to have, exclusive, must play titles to not fail like the OUYA. Console will live and die not on specs, but the launch lineup.
  • "In no way" trying to compete with the existing platforms.
  • No media solutions like Netflix.
  • Not looking for ports from developers. Will welcome existing licenses but want original projects.
  • Want 2D games (including "2.5D").
  • Controller will be based the original Intellivision controller (disk) but there will be alternatives. Can't speak to overlays but they are doing something with it. Sounds like a touchscreen that will use overlays onscreen.
  • Want to involve the homebrew community.
  • How will the console be different from everyone else? Quality control will be the strictest in a platform ever.
  • Games on the platform will be at "least a 7 (out of 10) or higher".
  • No DLC allowed. New games only.
Video breaks up at this point. Giving up.

Uhhhh ok, so the 7/10 bit is like 47 minutes into the video and it's even more wild to actually hear him talk about it.

They don't seem to have any understanding of how games are made? They don't seem to have any understanding how games are made. I skimmed a bit beforehand while trying to find it and the way they talk wanting emails of game submissions sounds sort of like they want pitches, but I guess it's more that they want finished games? Because then they talk about wanting strict quality control and probably only 10/1000 e-mails making it, etc. And just...

Who in the world would develop for a platform that could so easily arbitrarily reject them right at the end?

Oh, but don't worry, if you're at least at a 5 or a 6, they might work with you to improve the game. His example is... if the graphics are bad, they could try to get you connected to a different artist. Because I'm sure that would go over well with your team members...

Meanwhile, immediately before this he talks about wanting to build a community to help people make games... but he compares it to Fiver. The idea being people can form a team and make a game even if they only have design ideas by getting other team members that way and like... on a team that small, for the small amount of money you'd surely be getting, is it really worth being bossed around by someone who's just an "ideas person" instead of making your own game? And his example is a 10 year old girl having an idea other 10 year old girls would also like and being able to act on it, which is a neat concept, but... I don't think a 10 year old can manage a team of professional adults or, uh, pay them.

Last edited:

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So "no ports" means no Steam games? Do the developers need to make original games for this machine, can those games be port out to other systems?

So many questions....

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
As a guy who had an Intellivision when i was a little dude, this project has me curious. More out of nostalgia than anything though. I have fond memories of playing baseball with my father on it.

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
I applaud them for avoiding failing like the Ouya and instead finding a whole new way to fail.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

That video is starts off fine, but eventually devolves into pie in the sky madness.

So you want developers to make games for this, but they must be original titles and you are going to have final say if it releases or not based on your own impression of quality? I can't see that bringing in devs...

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
...what decides if they're a 7/10?

Like do they send out review codes and then if it doesn't hit 70 on metacritic, it can't be sold, or...

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This thing is going to fail faster than the OUYA did. Just the "No DLC" part will keep many away from it.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
No port and game must be at least a 7/10 or higher sounds like a real contradiction. Good luck with that. I see zero games meeting both those qualifications.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I met (bothered) Tommy once at a trash can at a convention. He was throwing away garbage. He didn't seem, uh, crazy at the time.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
So we'll bascially get to see Atari and Intellivision go down in flames at about the same time again, just 30+ years later and probably without taking the rest of the market with them.

Okay then.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Ouya 2?

Ouya 2.

Seriously though, I wish them luck. From the sounds of it, they are going to need truckloads.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
'Not trying to cash in on the Nintendo Classic craze'

giphy.gif

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds crazy restrictive, and why no media stuff?

If I was going to rez a dead console, I would do it as a more out of the box raspberry pi. Easy enough for kids to create on, but powerful enough for the super tech nerd can be interested in. The stuff that originally sold the those consoles.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
No dlc, only 7-10 rated games, no ports etc... publishers = morganfreemangoodluck.gif

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This sounds beyond delusional.

Stupid ideas that will go nowhere. It will die a silent death if it ever releases at all and will be forgotten about in no time

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Uhhhh ok, so the 7/10 bit is like 47 minutes into the video and it's even more wild to actually hear him talk about it.

They don't seem to have any understanding of how games are made? They don't seem to have any understanding how games are made. I skimmed a bit beforehand while trying to find it and the way they talk wanting emails of game submissions sounds sort of like they want pitches, but I guess it's more that they want finished games? Because then they talk about wanting strict quality control and probably only 10/1000 e-mails making it, etc. And just...

Who in the world would develop for a platform that could so easily arbitrarily reject them right at the end?

Oh, but don't worry, if you're at least at a 5 or a 6, they might work with you to improve the game. His example is... if the graphics are bad, they could try to get you connected to a different artist. Because I'm sure that would go over well with your team members...

Meanwhile, immediately before this he talks about wanting to build a community to help people make games... but he compares it to Fiver. The idea being people can form a team and make a game even if they only have design ideas by getting other team members that way and like... on a team that small, for the small amount of money you'd surely be getting, is it really worth being bossed around by someone who's just an "ideas person" instead of making your own game? And his example is a 10 year old girl having an idea other 10 year old girls would also like and being able to act on it, which is a neat concept, but... I don't think a 10 year old can manage a team of professional adults or, uh, pay them.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

They must have expanded on it later on in the video after I jumped off. That's insane.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But what's the price?

My dad has an Intellivision, so through some remarkable fluke of luck, I actually do have nostalgia for this console. But I can't see myself paying more than $60 for this.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do we know the price? If it's a sub-$50 microconsole, and the INTV emulation is good, I'd probably be interested just for that, and the other stuff could be gravy. At that price it can be both a flashback and a budget/family console, which is actually a neat position to be in. But it's one that becomes harder and harder the more it costs.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Tommy's kind of a quirky guy, Mega64 talked about this latest Intellivision news in their last podcast and they said that when they visited him, he and his wife were literally in the middle of an unironic Intellivision gaming session.

The guy is totally all-in on Intellivision for whatever reason, so hopefully his boundless enthusiasm and unique lifestyle translates to quality leadership and products.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'll be surprised if this thing even goes into manufacturing.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know the price? If it's a sub-$50 microconsole, and the INTV emulation is good, I'd probably be interested just for that, and the other stuff could be gravy. At that price it can be both a flashback and a budget/family console, which is actually a neat position to be in. But it's one that becomes harder and harder the more it costs.

The initial Venturebeat article mentioned that they want it to be inexpensive but didn't go into details.

Deleted member 26900

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
can't have bad games if you have no games

giphy.gif

Seriously though, I don't know. Part of me wants this to be successful, but at the same time, it's got a lot going against it. The amount of hardware that's out now and the way business models are going. It almost sounds like the way Nintendo used to handle their games. They wanted quality and so they had a quality check system in the NES days.

It almost seems like they're trying to make a console dedicated for indie developers...but good indie developers. I hope it goes well for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.