• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
?

None of PG games are low budget if that is what you're implying, they actually all look AA to AAA.

They said they needed publishers to fund these games because otherwise they would have not been released, so it's clear to me PG doesn't have the resources to self publish, maybe they could with indie-level projects.

They don't look AAA at all.
AA yes.

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I wouldn't expect their own IPs to be on the scale of their more major projects, though. More something along the lines of the projects they worked on for Activision.

I'd be down with that as long as they're more creative. I never picked up those Activision games because they were so generic.

Though I'm a bit worried about the independent IP they're working on being a VR title.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Platinum.... Owning their own IPs....?

Well the big huge problem I can see up front is that Platinum type games don't sell well enough. Not on their own anyway.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Oh yeah, and the Bayo 3 news.

Is it just me or does it sound like they hit a snag and had to redo some stuff?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
On the one hand i am happy for them for transitioning to being more independent.
On the other i want a new nier.....

Oh yeah, and the Bayo 3 news.

Is it just me or does it sound like they hit a snag and had to redo some stuff?
Didnt the director that was assumed to be bayo 3's director leave as well? I think it is safe to say the game got rebooted in some form.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
So is that Matsuno's game dead? Shame
I still think there's a sliver of a chance he's involved with Babylon's Fall (though they probably would have advertised that at reveal if it was the case), just because the timeline felt like his MO and he's written a game for PG before (MadWorld).

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
i think they announced the game way before they seriously started development, it was just a teaser to get people to buy bayo 1+2 on switch.

That's what I thought as well seeing how bare-bones the reveal was, but going back to watch the Bayo 2 reveal it was the exact same thing and that game came out like 2 years after, right on time.

Didnt the director that was assumed to be bayo 3's director leave as well? I think it is safe to say the game got rebooted in some form.

That I did not hear, but I suppose isn't surprising in hindsight.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I wish them the best of luck. Really interested to see their new project and also how have they changed Bayonetta.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's cool that they have ambition to work on all these games at once but ...at what cost

He did the same thing when working on the wonderful 101, slept on the floor at office during night

Last edited:

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Very curious to see what they have in store.
1556807839368.png

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I wish them the very best. No one does action games like Platinum. They're one of the few developers with the kind of pedigree that guarantees my attention.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
eh, nintendo has been their most prolific parter so far, and i'm sure their partnership will continue. if some of the new games can't be run on switch, it's not that big of a deal.

Why would it be a bad look? Are you going to say something like Platinum's fanbase is on Nintendo consoles? There's Astral Chain and Bayo 3 coming, Platinum fans who, for some reason, play exclusively on Switch will be eating well anyway.
How? they already have game's lined up for switch.

So far Platinum has relied on other publishers to stay alive. If all of the sudden they are using their own funds and only release games on everything but Nintendo consoles, it would be weird to come back later to them if your projects fail.
Platinum games is known for their quality, not for having big sellers.

I mean I not saying they should be exclusive to any console, I would probably buy both PC and switch, but if I was a business I would not upset the hand that was helping me while I was in a bad time.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
- new "never been done before" IP

FYI
https://www.resetera.com/threads/in...e-that-will-flip-the-genre-on-its-head.42163/

May 13, 2018

Just happened during BitSummit.

There was a talk segment. Kamiya said he is working on Bayonetta 3 in some capacity and he can't wait to share more information in the future.

The following is what Inaba had to say, translated and paraphrased:

- PG is working on a bunch of interesting games.
- One title in particular they think is new and innovative that you've never seen before will turn the action genre on its head.
- A lot of people at PlatinumGames don't even know about this Top Secret project.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So far Platinum has relied on other publishers to stay alive. If all of the sudden they are using their own funds and only release games on everything but Nintendo consoles, it would be weird to come back later to them if your projects fail.

I mean I not saying they should be exclusive to any console, I would probably buy both PC and switch, but if I was a business I would not upset the hand that was helping me while I was in a bad time.
i honestly don't think nintendo would care about missing out on whatever this is, to the point of not wanting to work with PG again.
and who knows, it may come to all platforms, including switch.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
They don't look AAA at all.
AA yes.

Bayonetta 2 and TW101 are some of the most impressive looking games on Wii U, and they both integrates gamepad functionalities, we know how difficult it was to make games for that system. Switch port of Bayonetta 2 is also top notch.

Scalebound looked AAA considering the scale (Open world RPG while still keeping Platinum's flashy combat).

Vanquish and Metal Gear Rising were some of the most impressive last gen games.

Platinum can make big sellers while still releasing games on all platforms as they currently do.

I don't understand why you have to choose between Nintendo and other platforms, they ain't Capcom.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
it would be weird to come back later to them if your projects fail.
Coming back to a partner they're currently developing games for? FFS not absolutely everything HAS to be on Switch, Nintendo will be more than glad partnering with Platinum again in future endeavors, I'm sure and Platinum is allowed to have ambitious projects that might not be suitable for Switch. And we don't even have more specific details...

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
I have without fail enjoyed every game platinum touches, even the bad ones. (Legend of Korra I'm looking at you.)

Extremely excited for Bayo 3, Astral Chain, & this 'unnamed never done before' project.

Deleted member 671

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really sucks that Astral Chain is Nintendo-bound. Platinum needs to own something to flourish

Why? Over the past few years, besides some low budget Activision stuff, Nintendo seems the most willing to work with Platinum despite none of their titles making bank. Bayonetta 2/3, Wonderful 101, Star Fox Zero, Star Fox Guard, and Astral Chain over the past 5 years alone.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018

If they were happy with their current situation they wouldn't be looking to make new IP that they will fully own.
They want to maintain relationship with Nintendo (thus releasing game's on it) and expand their audience further. Nothing wrong with that.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Why? Over the past few years, besides some low budget Activision stuff, Nintendo seems the most willing to work with Platinum despite none of their titles making bank. Bayonetta 2/3, Wonderful 101, Star Fox Zero, Star Fox Guard, and Astral Chain over the past 5 years alone.
Nintendo is not the issue, it's that they don't own anything