• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

orzkare

Apr 9, 2020
Japan
Today, they have released a special site for recruitment.
careers.fromsoftware.jp

中途採用特設ページ | FROM SOFTWARE RECRUITING WEBSITE

フロム・ソフトウェアの中途・新卒・アルバイトに関する採用情報サイトです。各募集要項やインターンシップに関する情報は、当サイトをご覧ください。「価値のある」ゲームづくりに共に真剣に取り組める仲間を募集しています。

New Interview (4gamers) in Japanese
www.4gamer.net

フロム・ソフトウェアは“面白いゲームを真剣に作っていればそれでいい”。宮崎英高社長に聞く,「ELDEN RING」で目指したものや独特の開発体制

「DARK SOULS」シリーズをはじめ,高難度のアクションRPGで世界的にも評価の高いフロム・ソフトウェア。2022年2月には「ELDEN RING」をリリースし,大ヒットを収めた。そんな本作は,何を目指して作られたのか。フロム・ソフトウェア 代表取締役社長である宮崎英高氏に振り返ってもらい,現在の開発体制や,自身の独特な手法についても語ってもらった。
translated by deepl

4Gamer: At the time of the "SEKIRO" interview in 2018, you mentioned that you had 3.5 lines running within the company at that time, two of which had not yet been announced. One of the unannounced lines was "ELDEN RING"; is the other line still under development?

Mr. Miyazaki: Yes. We are in the final stages of development.

4Gamer: Since a lot of time has passed, I would like to ask you again about From Software's current development system.

Mr. Miyazaki: As I've said in several interviews, we were able to create a title of the scale of "ELDEN RING" largely because of the development of human resources within the company, but from now on, I think we will be entrusting more projects to them. In fact, we are working on several titles directed by people other than myself, and the timing is right for us to increase our development staff. I think we will be able to show you a different color or direction for FromSoftware, so please look forward to seeing what we have in store for you.

4Gamer: Mr. Miyazaki himself is a person who joined the company as a mid-career employee with no experience in the game industry, directed a string of hit titles, and became the president, so I understand that the company has a culture that offers such opportunities. However, I am sorry to say that I have an image that the development environment seems to be severe for a manufacturer led by such a dynamic person. ......

Mr. Miyazaki: I would like to clearly deny that.I myself am a person who loves creating games and wants to immerse myself in them, but because of that, I am consciously careful not to assume such a feeling. I do not wish to work in a way that is physically or temporally demanding, nor do I intend to make it a criterion for evaluation. I think we have communicated this as a clear message within the company, and in fact, the working environment has improved greatly in recent years.

4Gamer: I see. My apologies.

Mr. Miyazaki: If I may make one more point, in recent years we have also been working to improve the compensation and treatment of our employees. In particular, this fiscal year, we have increased the bonus base by one month and plan to increase the salaries of young to mid-career employees overall, resulting in a salary figure of 260,000 for new graduates. In addition to the above, there is also a system of bonuses for the fiscal year end. This is a system that allows additional bonuses to be paid when the company's financial results are favorable. For example, in the last fiscal year, we had the "ELDEN RING," so the basic bonus was 4 months, and the core members of the project received more.

4Gamer: Lastly, now that "ELDEN RING" has come to a close, what are your plans for future titles?

Mr. Miyazaki: First of all, we will continue to update "ELDEN RING" in the future.Also, as I have mentioned, in addition to the titles that I myself am directing, we are also developing several titles by directors other than myself, but I am not at a stage where I can talk about them in detail yet. I am sorry, but I would appreciate it if you could give me a little more time.

4Gamer: Okay. We are looking forward to hearing from you. Thank you very much for your time today.

Last edited:

ozumas

Born to be Wise
Dec 15, 2020
This is so interesting so From is working in new titles but Miyazaki is not director in some of them?

Blue point x From Software anyone??

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
DLC should definitely be coming, it seems like. Which is good, it would be weird of them not to do it.

This is so interesting so From is working in new titles but Miyazaki is not director in some of them?

Blue point x From Software anyone??

Miyazaki doesn't direct all of From's games as it is. Bluepoint has no need to be involved.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Ctrl + f 'Armored Core'
0 results

computer-smash-other-guys-Mark-Wahlberg-angry.gif

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
Final stages of development? Not sure what 'line' means but I'm guessing it's a new game?

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
Please be excited.

I'm still convinced that Bluepoint Games are working on a Bloodborne remaster/remake though.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Final stages of development? Not sure what 'line' means but I'm guessing it's a new game?

their next game is armored core.

we had a leak here a couple of months ago

www.resetera.com

From Software possibly working on a new Armoured Core game (update: screenshots added) Rumor

Seems From is currently sending out surveys and showing participants gameplay footage with soulslike bosses. This was posted by Red Liquorice on the From Software Development & Speculation thread More info from Red Liquorice New Screenshots provided by Red Liquorice

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Salary of 260,000 yen i assume is monthly? Which is like $24k yearly? That seems… really low 🤧

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Armored Core is certainly the next thing given the leaks. Excited to see what else they have cooking.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
yup, Armored Core is coming soon! where could it show up tho?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if one of those other directors is Tomohiro Shibuya, I don't think he's had a credit since Dark Souls 2.
I don't think he's at From anymore. There's an off chance it was someone with the same name, but he looks to have been game design director on an Earth Defence Force title:
www.mobygames.com

Tomohiro Shibuya - MobyGames

Game credits, biography, portraits and other game industry information for Tomohiro Shibuya - MobyGames

Shiny Man

Nov 18, 2020
Loulé
If they're indeed working on Elden Ring DLC, I just hope whoever is in charge of it can give us some competently made bosses. I love the game but it has the worst set of bosses in the series IMO.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Salary of 260,000 yen i assume is monthly? Which is like $24k yearly? That seems… really low 🤧
You really can't compare salaries that way. I can only talk for myself, but an enviable above average salary in most of Europe would still be a rather low one over in the US. Prices aren't the same and neither are the type of expenses. Healthcare and education are mostly taken care of by taxes. The cost of life metrics are completely different.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like just putting the word out about company expansion, not much new game details. Glad to hear more games being helm by different people going forward.

Have to take his word when he says he dosent force anyone else to follow his work ethic.... Maybe now that they are able to expand they can not feel the need to grind so hard anymore.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
It's good to see that they are making efforts to make employees happier, especially after that thing a while back about low job satisfaction. A third of a year's salary as bonus for Elden Ring being very successful, while almost certainly not completely compensating labor, seems far and away better than whatever the CDPR profit share was after details around that came out.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Armored Fucking Core please!

Re: salary, quick google says average annual income in Japan is around 5-6m yen, so they could still do better for sure, but it's a good thing that they're trying to improve the employees well-being.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, but don't forget that stuff in Japan also costs way less than in almost every other part of the world. So, everything is cheap with salaries also being low.

Well, the price difference for things between say, the USA and Japan is not that wide.

It's a pretty open problem that salaries in Japan, not just in game dev, are way too low... the government has been trying to encourage companies to raise them

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I just really hope they can break the demons souls formula that they've been grinding since then. I know it's only getting more successful so they're not going to stop, but I'm pretty much done with it.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
I wonder if From Software is so successful they feel less inclined to pursue another exclusive title with Sony.

As a mere consumer I don't understand the business but in my mind multiplat = more money and also likely IP control which might make From more interested in investing that.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
bWcrS0R.jpg

Maybe a clue like Kojima? Game Pass deal for Sekiro 2? 🤔

Spencer also got an Elden Ring art poster but don't have the picture.

:hopium

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
He brings up how his next game will be even more abstract than all his past work. Music to my ears.

Don't think that's his next game, unless deepl translation is off.

As director, I am already working on my next title, so I will avoid spoilers for that one: .......
In the medium to long term, I would like to work on a fantasy with a higher level of abstraction than my past works.

And by abstraction he meant:

In the process of creating action RPG fantasy titles, including "ELDEN RING," I have continued to accumulate fantasy ideas and images that are not suited to that format, and I wanted to bring them all together somewhere and get them out.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
Hopefully some of these Elden Ring updates is to completely sort out these stutters. Hard to imagine Ray Tracing when it's still a bit of a mess technically on PC

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Can the fix Elden Ring on ps5 first? Game is such a stutter-fest. Can't even enjoy it.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Hopefully some of these Elden Ring updates is to completely sort out these stutters. Hard to imagine Ray Tracing when it's still a bit of a mess technically on PC
If the game is already dragging itself on PS5 I can only imagine the horrors of RT hahaha, hopefully they fix performance in all platforms alongside RT support but I doubt it

I wonder if From Software is so successful they feel less inclined to pursue another exclusive title with Sony.

As a mere consumer I don't understand the business but in my mind multiplat = more money and also likely IP control which might make From more interested in investing that.
It really is that simple. Unless Miyazaki feels so compelled by wanting to revisit Demon's Souls or Bloodborne that he's willing to play by Sony's rules again, the amount of control and flexibility they get from working on their own IPs has been proving itself the better option for them ever since Dark Souls first came out, and Elden Ring going supernova serves to illustrate that it's the correct path forward for them. Armored Core will be an interesting test, as they're coming off their greatest success as a developer into a type of game (mecha action) that typically hasn't had much luck in the mainstream, but if any studio out there can shatter the ceiling at long last, it's them.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I just really hope they can break the demons souls formula that they've been grinding since then. I know it's only getting more successful so they're not going to stop, but I'm pretty much done with it.
They have been with Sekiro and Déraciné and seemingly a new Armored Core game. Since they are a multi project studio they can afford to have those dark fantasy ARPG's going while also working on more experimental projects that reflect their portfolio further back than DeS. That was a goal for them

limone

Feb 4, 2022
Italy
I just hope that 2 Elden 2 Ring has seamless co-op, given the title.

Honestly, complete trust in whatever they do.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
They are slowly diversifying their otput. Sekiro was already a step in a different direction and before that came Deracine which has little to do with Souls. We know Armored Core is likely their next game too.

Don't think that's his next game, unless deepl translation is off.
My bad I totally ignored the "in the medium to long term" part

AEF1907

Dec 18, 2021
www.resetera.com

Kadokawa plans to utilize internal game dev resource (eg. From Software) to develop console games based off anime & light novel IPs News

As per Kadokawa Group's latest fiscal report - refer to slide 18: https://ssl4.eir-parts.net/doc/9468/ir_material_for_fiscal_ym7/117396/00.pdf Kadokawa has in recent years - emphasized the importance of isekai genre anime/novel to their business, due to success of stuff like ReZero...

I wonder if one of the projects is an anime/light novel game 🤔