• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
https://www.dualshockers.com/unannounced-new-ip-yakuza-studio/

Satomi-san was talking about how he wants to challenge new IPs on all platforms (IE: arcade, mobile, consoles and so forth). After mentioning new IPs for the arcade and mobile markets, he teased that in regards to home consoles, a new title by the Yakuza Studio is already in development.

EDIT: wait a sec, after reading, I am not sure if it says that directly...someone needs to properly read and translte that statement from the Famitsu Interview

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Yakuza Studio is on fire! Nobody is saying no to more games from this studio

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Considering how amazing Binary Domain was. I can't wait to see what else that team can do when not being held back by an established brand identity.

crash-14

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if it'll be a new genre or it's going to be Yakuza alike.

I should play Yakuza, it looks interesting but the fact that there are like 8 entries to catch the whole story, kinda makes me pass on it...

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Thank goodness, something besides Yakuza. Binary Domain was great. Fist of the North Star looks fun as fuck.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017

I should play Yakuza, it looks interesting but the fact that there are like 8 entries to catch the whole story, kinda makes me pass on it...

Yakuza isn't like MGS etc. there's no need to play every entry in order to undestand its story, they are mostly very self-contained to each game.

Oct 27, 2017

The story isn't really that connected. You can play any of them and be satisfied when the credits hit. I would recommend you to play Yakuza 0 as it is one of the best in the series and is made for newcomers.

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy
https://www.dualshockers.com/unannounced-new-ip-yakuza-studio/
EDIT: wait a sec, after reading, I am not sure if it says that directly...someone needs to properly read and translte that statement from the Famitsu Interview

He says that directly. He's asked specifically about new IPs, and the answer is specific about new IPs. He says he wants to challenge new IPs across all platforms and gives examples, first Arcade, then mobile, and finally about home consoles, a new game by the Ryu Ga Gotoku studio in development.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OwO
Ill keep my eyes on this for sure heard good things about Yakiza and will soon have the time so play a few of em ;) (Zero and Kiwami)

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
As the one force at Sega now-a-days who has unconditionally earned my trust, I'll look forward to whatever that is!

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Gintama is probably the most firing out of the animes, even more fitting than fist of the north star which looks so damn good.

Running around a hub world and doing side stories is basically Gintama.

Especially the kind of wacky stories Yakuza team is already used to writing, they really could go overboard in a setting like Gintama, both story and gameplay wise.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
I hope it's a futuristic racing game that's F-Zero in everything but name (A man can dream right?)

Oct 27, 2017
Games based on anime mostly seems to be Bandai Namco's thing these days, especially for those two properties
Do they have exclusive rights to the IPs?
Especially the kind of wacky stories Yakuza team is already used to writing, they really could go overboard in a setting like Gintama, both story and gameplay wise.
Definitely. Everything falls in place as most of the minigames that happens in Yakuza has happened in Gintama. Hostess minigames, gambling etc

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think you read it wrong. Team Yakuza is working on a new game, but that seems separate from the new IP.

Satomi is a Sega Sammy guy, he isn't the head of Team RGG or anything.

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy
I think you read it wrong. Team Yakuza is working on a new game, but that seems separate from the new IP.

It's read correctly. The question is specific about new IPs, and the answer is specific about new IPs. It's the third example of new IPs following arcade and mobile examples.

Satomi is a Sega Sammy guy, he isn't the head of Team RGG or anything.

Satomi-san is Both Sega's CEO and Sammy's CEO. He is in charge of all the major branches of Sega's business, including RGG studio.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/haruki-satomi-2b84b65/

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Which home consoles are we talking about...as I recall only one got Yakuza. Just saying.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's read correctly. The question is specific about new IPs, and the answer is specific about new IPs. It's the third example of new IPs following arcade and mobile examples.

Until we have the text of the Famitsu article in front of us, it reads more like Dualshockers extrapolating things from an interview that aren't necessarily true. We know for a fact Team RGG is working on Yakuza Online and Shin Yakuza right now, they probably have enough manpower left for one more project, but not necessarily a full-spec new console IP.

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy
Until we have the text of the Famitsu article in front of us, it reads more like Dualshockers extrapolating things from an interview that aren't necessarily true. We know for a fact Team RGG is working on Yakuza Online and Shin Yakuza right now, they probably have enough manpower left for one more project, but not necessarily a full-spec new console IP.

I have the Famitsu text in front of me. I am the one who wrote that article. DualShockers is not "extrapolating" anything.

What is written in the article is what Satomi-san said.

Question: "You mentioned new IP, but there are already things moving behind the scenes?"

Answer: I'd like to challenge new IP on all platforms. [example of new Arcade IPs, example of new mobile IPs] About home consoles, an unannounced new title by the Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio is already in development. I'd like everyone to look forward to it.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I have the Famitsu text in front of me. I am the one who wrote that article.

What is written in the article is what Satomi-san said.

Fair enough. We'll have to see what happens, then. I still have a fair amount of doubt that they have the manpower to handle an entirely new IP right now, though.

Oct 27, 2017
A new type of game would be welcomed, but I could also see them handling Ryu Ga Gotoku sort of like Musou and using the game template for all sorts of other games. They've already done it once with the Fist of the North Star game.

It would be even cooler if they used the Yakuza characters as actors in other games like they did with Kenzan and Ishin.

crash-14

Oct 27, 2017
The story isn't really that connected. You can play any of them and be satisfied when the credits hit. I would recommend you to play Yakuza 0 as it is one of the best in the series and is made for newcomers.
Yakuza isn't like MGS etc. there's no need to play every entry in order to undestand its story, they are mostly very self-contained to each game.

Didn't know that.

I'll give it a chance when PSN puts any of them on sale.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It...it just has to be a game that weaves so effortlessly humor and seriousness.....these guys need to write stories and games to support them.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Awesome glad they get the chance to branch out, looking forward to hearing more. Gonna be stayings the Yakuza series for the first time soon.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the quote in question:

Famitsu said:
家庭用ゲームでは、龍が如くスタジオの未発表タイトルもすでに動いていますので、ファンの皆様には楽しみにしていただきたいです。
As for console games, an unannounced title by Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio is underway as well, so I'd like all fans to look forward to that

Like Abriael mentioned, this is part of an answer to the interviewer's question about new IP that is being worked on behind the scenes. Satomi says they want to try new IP on all platforms, gives examples from the Arcade and Smartphone sector and then there's the quote about RGG Studio which is highlighted by Famitsu.

One caveat imo: The next Yakuza game won't star Kiryu, so it will probably not be called Ryu Ga Gotoku. It's possible that Satomi would think of that game as a new IP if the game is different enough. I believe only the protagonist and a working title have been announced so far (Project Shin Ryu Ga Gotoku), so you could also look at it as a still "unannounced" title.