• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
We had similar reports last month, but I guess it's good to have more confirmation on this.
SEGA has released their 2018 performance summary, which falls under the "Road to 2020" initiative, and among the information contained within is a confirmation that Ryu ga Gotoku Studio, the creators of Yakuza, are working on an "unannounced new title" which falls under the New IP section. For comparison, other New IP in this section include Kotodaman and 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim – the former being a smartphone game and the latter being a console game.
http://segabits.com/blog/2018/05/14...toku-studio-the-yakuza-studio-in-development/

This thread is already locked if old.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
They're finally doing what they were destined to, making a Yakuza inspired game starring Captain Falcon.
Seriously though, they would be perfect for it, what with already having made the best F-Zero game in the franchise

Simon-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
City Hunter ga gotoku

giphy.gif

Please, Sega.

kenta

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, how many teams do they have? We know of Yakuza 7, Fist of the North Star and now this

Edit: Oh, the Fist of the North Star game was already released so nevermind, this makes sense and is cool

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
They're finally doing what they were destined to, making a Yakuza inspired game starring Captain Falcon.
Seriously though, they would be perfect for it, what with already having made the best F-Zero game in the franchise
I want this so bad. After how great GX was, I'm fully on board with them doing a Captain Falcon game.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I hope its something completely new and not 'Other IP no Gotoku', we already have Shin Yakuza on the horizon.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I hope its something completely new and not 'Other IP no Gotoku', we already have Shin Yakuza on the horizon.
Agreed. Well, I'd also like a FOTNS sequel to flesh out the ideas in the first game, the combat and boss encounters are pretty much the best the series has seen, but its a bit on the short side.

i would love to see a remaster of binary domain
The PC version is glorious. Just a straight port of that would be perfect.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
This is cool. There have been way too many Yakuza games at this point and the team deserves to flex their creative muscles a bit. (Yes I know you all love them and would take 30+ more if they made them but I don't care :p)
Something that isn't an attempt at trying to court the American market like Binary Domain was.
Had enough of Japanese devs trying to do that last gen.
I want something Japanese as fuck from them.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
I have Binary Domain on steam and only played 30 minutes. What makes it so great, brehs?
Everything. Plot is the good kind of cheese, bosses are cool, combat system in general is cool, characters are great. It's just a super solid TPS that everyone ignored because of the completely optional voice commands

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have Binary Domain on steam and only played 30 minutes. What makes it so great, brehs?

As others have mentioned, the interactions between squad members are pretty great but I want to note that the weapons feel pretty lackluster and lacking a punch in the first hour. As the game progresses your guns become much more satisfying as they tear through the robots limbs.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Or a Hostess Club Management sim inspired form Y0.

That's the kind of game I might actually buy on a phone.

I'd totally play this. They already fleshed it the concept out further in Fist of the North Star with mission mode that force you to tailor your character picks based on the select customers you get in the club per mission, as well as having special objectives to clear as well. It'd be great as a mobile game.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Looks I'm going to have to give it a shot then. Standard game length? Hoping it's around 10 hours or so.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Please be Streets of Rage in the Yakuza fighting engine.

Neon lit cities, bar room brawls, abandoned theme parks, a baseball stadium with a hidden underground fighting arena, deserted beaches along a city-lit skyline, all filled with gang members controlled by a corrupt ex-politician. A new Streets of Rage would fit Team Yakuza perfectly.

I so want them to take reigns over the series and make a modern take on Streets of Rage.

maxresdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

39219-Streets_of_Rage_3_(USA)-5.jpg

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017

Neon lit cities, bar room brawls, abandoned theme parks, a baseball stadium with a hidden underground fighting arena. all filled with gang members controlled by a corrupt ex-politician. A new Streets of Rage would fit Team Yakuza perfectly.

I so want them to take reigns over the series and make a modern take on Streets of Rage.
All of this sounds awesome and it's a great idea, therefore it will never happen.

Deleted member 26293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Great news, but i'll keep hoping for a space-Yakuza spin off in the meanwhile.

If Shin RGG is their next project there's a chance this new IP might be next-gen bound, can't wait to see the Dragon Engine at full force.

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to think Sega forgot that Binary Domain was a thing and the announcement is just Binary Domain 2 with Sega thinking its a new IP.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
I am thinking that they will go back to futuristic Japan, but do it wacky and Japanese. They have gone back to period Japan for a second time in Ishin after all. Could be 2019 or 2020.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Neon lit cities, bar room brawls, abandoned theme parks, a baseball stadium with a hidden underground fighting arena, deserted beaches along a city-lit skyline, all filled with gang members controlled by a corrupt ex-politician. A new Streets of Rage would fit Team Yakuza perfectly.

I don't think you could really charge $60 for a new Streets of Rage in this day and age. It would need to be way, way bigger and wider in scope in order to justify the development costs and the price tag, and at that point it's...kinda just a Yakuza game with a slightly different core theme?

Bjoern

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I'd be happy if they'd just make the Cabaret Club minigame from Yakuza 0 its own full fledged game to be quite honest.