• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
auPR7n5.png

Alright, I'm kinda bad at thread introductions, so I'll just jump into some frequently asked questions because why not:

Why an OT for New Japan? Isn't there already WrassleERA?

Yeah, there is. And don't get me wrong, WrassleERA is fine, but if you're like me and no longer watch WWE, it can be hard to discuss NJPW in there without feeling like you're getting a bit drowned-out. Again, no disrespect, but I just figured it'd be nice to have a place to discuss NJPW on its own. I mean there's a Manga OT and also OTs for individual manga, so why not a wrestling OT and a NJPW OT? Plus I just kinda miss how much fun the G1 Climax thread was back in the old place and thought it'd be nice to try to re-create something like that.

So this thread is JUST for NJPW?

Not really. I figure it'd be cool to discuss NJPW's affiliated promotions in here as well (ROH, CMLL, and RPW), since New Japan talent frequently work those promotions.

I'm new to all this, what is NJPW, anyway?

EDIT: Gonna add this quote from Pikma because it's pretty important and I'm dumb and bad at OTs:

You forgot to mention something a little bit important for those not in the know, imo:

Modern NJPW offers some of the best pro wrestling in the history of the (fake) sport. It continues to raise the bar of what a wrestling match can and should be, in terms of storylines, in terms of physicality, in terms of athleticism, etc.

It's good good shit from top to bottom: Great booking, outstanding in ring talent, 6 star main events.

The only downsides I could think of is that it's mostly all japanese, promos rarely get translated even though they do have english commentary most of the time now. And also their streaming site is still not friendly enough.

Instead of writing out a whole spiel that's probably been done better a million other places, I'll just post a couple of really good resources for newcomers:

1. New Japan Pro-Wrestling for Beginners: What to Know (via r/NJPW)
(A really good overall guide to NJPW, the events, the factions, and the titles.)

2. Real Neat Puro
(A great channel with really in-depth videos that explain various aspects of NJPW wrestlers, factions, and events in great detail.)

3. Showbuckle
(Another Youtube channel similar to Real Neat Puro. Most of his videos focus more on individual wrestlers and their stories/histories.)

You can also visit NJPW's English-language website, which is good for basic stuff like news and schedules.

And if you're looking for recommendations for some great matches to watch, both recent and historical, then MrLARIATO/BritishMonsoon on ERA has you covered with an amazing list of recommended matches, complete with links to watch them on NJPWWorld (more on that below)!

http://tinyurl.com/NJPW-WORLD

How do I watch New Japan?

New Japan has a streaming service called NJPWWorld. Similar to WWE Network, it costs 999 yen per month (which is a bit over $9 USD) and accepts Paypal and international customers. I've been signed up for just shy of a year now and it's been great. They stream all of NJPW's big shows and several house shows as well per month. And the bigger shows also feature an English commentary option, which is a plus for those who prefer it. Just a word of warning, though. If you're going to sign up, do it at the beginning of the month. World does this weird thing where they bill you on the first of the month regardless of when you signed up. So if you sign up on the 25th, you'll still get charged again on the 1st of the next month. Annoying, yeah, but what're ya gonna do?

(Also, if you're looking for a streaming schedule, use the one on World. The one on the English-language site lists all of their upcoming events, whether they're being streamed or not. The one on World only lists the ones that are streaming. The main site's schedule is more useful for seeing match lineups.)

Besides World, there's also NJPW on AXS:

http://www.axs.tv/programs/new-japan-pro-wrestling/

If you don't want to pay for World and you get AXS, this is definitely an option. Just be aware that the AXS show is usually anywhere from several weeks to a couple months behind, so you won't be up to date. Also the AXS show features different English commentators from World's English broadcasts (Kevin Kelly and Don Callis on World, Jim Ross and Josh Barnett on AXS).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that covers most of the important stuff, and if there's anything missing I'm open to suggestions. As I said, no disrespect to WrassleERA or anything, and if it turns out this thread is unnecessary or people prefer to stick to WrassleERA, that's fine too. Either way, welcome to the NJPW OT, have fun and remember to always stay tranquilo!

Last edited:

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You forgot to mention something a little bit important for those not in the know, imo:

Modern NJPW offers some of the best pro wrestling in the history of the (fake) sport. It continues to raise the bar of what a wrestling match can and should be, in terms of storylines, in terms of physicality, in terms of athleticism, etc.

It's good good shit from top to bottom: Great booking, outstanding in ring talent, 6 star main events.

The only downsides I could think of is that it's mostly all japanese, promos rarely get translated even though they do have english commentary most of the time now. And also their streaming site is still not friendly enough.

OP
OP
Seraphis Cain

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017

I'm just gonna add this whole post to the OP if you don't mind.

OP
OP
Seraphis Cain

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Another great resource for NJPW is the Being The Elite web series which is made by Bullet Club members, The Young Bucks. Shows a lot of behind the scenes stuff as well as an entertaining narrative that continues and establishes context for matches.

Oh absolutely, I'm a huge fan of BTE. I don't know if I'd specifically call it a "resource" per se, but it is absolutely required viewing if you're really into NJPW (or just really like Kenny/the Bucks/Marty/Cody/Hangman).

Shameless self-promotion, here's my NJPW World Recommended Viewing List;

1,300+ matches on there at present, from 1973 to 2017.

God I really dropped the ball on this OT, didn't I? I love your list and reference it all the time!

thepiratejay

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Subbed, great thread!

I can't wait for Power Struggle on Sunday, that Card is stacked. Too bad I have to work so I won't be able to watch it live.

BlueBrand

Oct 28, 2017
BritishMonsoon, Thank you for all the effort you've put into maintaining your list. I've been referencing it for at least a year and pretty much everything on it is worth watching. I can not recommend this any higher for any fans who want to see the long history of NJPW.

I'm personally looking forward to attending WK12 early next year, but for now, I am pumped for Power Struggle this weekend.

mattsdl

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Great thread!

I started watching WWE at last year's Wrestlemania and always thought I would miss the WWE storytelling in NJPW, so I didn't even try it.
The hype around Wrestle Kingdom and Kenny Omega made me finally give it a chance and I was immediately hooked.
If anyone has any of the same doubts, you should just give it a try, the way New Japan tells its story is different but I much prefer it now. I'm so in love with the product, I'm going to Japan for the first time to attend Wrestle Kingdom 12.

Shameless self-promotion, here's my NJPW World Recommended Viewing List;

1,300+ matches on there at present, from 1973 to 2017.
Your list was a great help when I started watching, thanks a lot for the work!

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
I'll probably be the most negative critic of NJPW in the thread but I'm also going to Wrestle Kingdom this year so I'll be putting away my Gedo hate for a month or two and just allow myself to get excited.

Anyway Shibata vs Okada was the best match of this decade.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Oh baby, it's about time we got a New Japan thread.

I'll write up an essay in a moment about how New Japan 2017 is pretty much the most exciting wrestling to watch since the attitude era.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
And we are SUBBED! :)

SeraphisCain, I love you like Omega used to love Ibushi.

Now, I'm still doing the WK12 OT, right? It's kinda my thing...

The last match I properly watched was Kenny Omega vs Tomohiro Ishii back in May, what should I check out to catch up?

Holy crap.

Okay, check out Dominion (entire show) and at least night 2 of the G1 USA specials. Then, watch all the G1 matches you can, but especially Naito/Ibushi, Omega/Suzuki, Okada/Elgin, Omega/Elgin, Okada/Suzuki, and the last three nights from Ryogoku. Then Destruction in Hiroshima and Kobe (skip Fukushima, it sucks), and lastly King of Pro Wrestling.

EDIT: Oh fuck, I totally forgot the Best of the Super Juniors. Some good stuff there too: Ospreay/Scurll, Lee/Hiromu, Ricochet/Ospreay, Ricochet/Hiromu, Hiromu/Liger, KUSHIDA/ACH, ACH/Volador, Ospreay/Hiromu, and at the very least, the finals.

Last edited:

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Have at it! That's way too important an event for my mediocre OT skills, haha!

Hey, my OT skills suck too due to my limited Photoshop abilities, I'm just good at storytelling :)

R.I.P Darryl, gone but never forgotten

He made his long-awaited return near the end of the G1, and finally got revenge on that asshole Fale at KOPW. He's since gotten married and is currently taking some well-deserved time off.

Last edited:

Gontrand

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for this thread! I will post again my "NJPW Single Matches Recommendations for 2017" if you guys don't mind, I will keep it updated. Not all of those matches are the best, but I found them all enjoyable.

January:
  • Kazuchika Okada vs Kenny Omega (Wrestle Kingdom 11)
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Tetsuya Naito (Wrestle Kingdom 11)
  • Katsuyori Shibata vs Hirooki Goto (Wrestle Kingdom 11)
  • Hiromu Takahashi vs KUSHIDA (Wrestle Kingdom 11)

February:
  • Tetsuya Naito vs Michael Elgin (New Beginning in Osaka)
  • Hiromu Takahashi vs Dragon Lee (New Beginning in Osaka)
  • Katsuyori Shibata vs Will Ospreay (New Beginning in Osaka)
  • Kazuchika Okada vs Minoru Suzuki (New Beginning in Sapporo)
  • Hirooki Goto vs Juice Robinson (New Beginning in Sapporo)

March:
  • Kazuchika Okada vs Tiger Mask W (NJPW 45th Anniversary)
  • Hiromu Takahashi vs Ryusuke Taguchi (NJPW 45th Anniversary)
  • Katsuyori Shibata vs Zack Sabre Jr (NJPW 45th Anniversary)
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs EVIL (New Japan Cup - Day 1)
  • Kenny Omega vs Tomohiro Ishii (New Japan Cup - Day 2)
  • Tomohiro Ishii vs SANADA (New Japan Cup - Day 6)
  • Katsuyori Shibata vs Tomohiro Ishii (New Japan Cup - Day 7)
  • Katsuyori Shibata vs Bad Luck Fale (New Japan Cup - Day 8)

April:
  • Katsuyori Shibata vs Kazuchika Okada (Sakura Genesis)
  • Zack Sabre Jr vs Hirooki Goto (Sakura Genesis)
  • Minoru Suzuki vs Hirooki Goto (Road to Wrestling Dontaku)
  • Tetsuya Naito vs Juice Robinson (Wrestling Toyonokuni)
  • Hiromu Takahashi vs Ricochet (Wrestling Toyonokuni)

May:
  • Kenny Omega vs Tomohiro Ishii (Wrestling Dontaku)
  • Kazuchika Okada vs Bad Luck Fale (Wrestling Dontaku)

Best of Super Junior 24:
  • Hiromu Takahashi vs Dragon Lee (Day 1)
  • KUSHIDA vs El Desperado (Day 1)
  • Will Ospreay vs Marty Scurll (Day 1)
  • Hiromu Takahashi vs Jushin Thunder Liger (Day 2)
  • Marty Scurll vs Dragon Lee (Day 2)
  • Ricochet vs Will Ospreay (Day 2)
  • Hiromu Takahashi vs Ricochet (Day 4)
  • Marty Scurll vs Jushin Thunder Liger (Day 4)
  • KUSHIDA vs BUSHI (Day 5)
  • Ryusuke Taguchi vs El Desperado (Day 5)
  • El Desperado vs Volador Jr (Day 7)
  • Will Ospreay vs Dragon Lee (Day 8)
  • KUSHIDA vs Ryusuke Taguchi (Day 11)
  • Marty Scurll vs Ricochet (Day 12)
  • Will Ospreay vs Hiromu Takahashi (Day 12)
  • Will Ospreay vs KUSHIDA (Final)

June:
  • Kenny Omega vs Kazuchika Okada (Dominion)
  • Hiromu Takahashi vs KUSHIDA (Dominion)
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Tetsuya Naito (Dominion)
  • KUSHIDA vs BUSHI (Kizuna Road)

July:
  • Kazuchika Okada vs Cody (G1 Special in USA Day 1)
  • Kenny Omega vs Michael Elgin (G1 Special in USA Day 1)
  • Tetsuya Naito vs Tomohiro Ishii (G1 Special in USA Day 1)
  • Zack Sabre Jr vs Juice Robinson (G1 Special in USA Day 1)
  • Zack Sabre Jr vs Tomohiro Ishii (G1 Special in USA Day 2)
  • Kenny Omega vs Jay Lethal (G1 Special in USA Day 2)
  • Kenny Omega vs Tomohiro Ishii (G1 Special in USA Day 2)
  • Hirai Kawato vs Dick Togo (Lions Gate VII)

G1 Climax 27:
  • Tetsuya Naito vs Kota Ibushi (Day 1)
  • Tomohiro Ishii vs Hirooki Goto (Day 1)
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Zack Sabre Jr (Day 1)
  • Yuji Nagata vs YOSHI-HASHI (Day 1)
  • Kenny Omega vs Minoru Suzuki (Day 2)
  • SANADA vs EVIL (Day 2)
  • Kota Ibushi vs Zack Sabre Jr (Day 3)
  • Hirooki Goto vs Yuji Nagata (Day 3)
  • Tetsuya Naito vs YOSHI-HASHI (Day 3)
  • Tomohiro Ishii vs Togi Makabe (Day 3)
  • Kazuchika Okada vs Michael Elgin (Day 4)
  • EVIL vs Juice Robinson (Day 4)
  • Kota Ibushi vs Tomohiro Ishii (Day 5)
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Yuji Nagata (Day 5)
  • Kazuchika Okada vs SANADA (Day 6)
  • Tetsuya Naito vs Yuji Nagata (Day 7)
  • Tomohiro Ishii vs YOSHI-HASHI (Day 7)
  • Kenny Omega vs Michael Elgin (Day 8)
  • Kazuchika Okada vs Satoshi Kojima (Day 8)
  • Tetsuya Naito vs Tomohiro Ishii (Day 9)
  • Kazuchika Okada vs Juice Robinson (Day 10)
  • Michael Elgin vs SANADA (Day 10)
  • Kota Ibushi vs Hiroshi Tanahashi (Day 11)
  • Tomohiro Ishii vs Yuji Nagata (Day 11)
  • Kenny Omega vs EVIL (Day 12)
  • Juice Robinson vs SANADA (Day 12)
  • Kota Ibushi vs Yuji Nagata (Day 13)
  • Kazuchika Okada vs EVIL (Day 14)
  • Kenny Omega vs Juice Robinson (Day 14)
  • Tomohiro Ishii vs Hiroshi Tanahashi (Day 15)
  • Kazuchika Okada vs Minoru Suzuki (Day 16)
  • Michael Elgin vs EVIL (Day 16)
  • Kenny Omega vs SANADA (Day 16)
  • Tetsuya Naito vs Hiroshi Tanahashi (Day 17)
  • Tomohiro Ishii vs Zack Sabre Jr (Day 17)
  • Yuji Nagata vs Bad Luck Fale (Day 17)
  • Kenny Omega vs Kazuchika Okada (Day 18)
  • Kenny Omega vs Tetsuya Naito (Final)

September:
  • Minoru Suzuki vs Michael Elgin (Destruction in Fukushima)
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Zack Sabre Jr (Destruction in Hiroshima)
  • KUSHIDA vs El Desperado (Destruction in Hiroshima)
  • Kenny Omega vs Juice Robinson (Destruction in Kobe)
  • Trent Beretta vs Yujiro Takahashi (Destruction in Kobe)

October:
  • Kazuchika Okada vs EVIL (King of Pro Wrestling)
  • KUSHIDA vs Will Ospreay (King of Pro Wrestling)
  • Tetsuya Naito vs Tomohiro Ishii (King of Pro Wrestling)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Seraphis Cain

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
If I could add anything to the above list, it'd be El Desperado vs Volador Jr. from BOSJ. A really good match that most people sleep on. Definitely worth a watch.

...we already having a wrestling thread

I know. I covered that in the first paragraph of the OP. And anyway, this thread seems well-received so far (moreso than I imagined, honestly), so why not just run with it?

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I know. I covered that in the first paragraph of the OP. And anyway, this thread seems well-received so far (moreso than I imagined, honestly), so why not just run with it?
If it works it works but I think dividing up the wrestling community here is a bad idea plus I'm pretty sure we ran this experiment back on GAF as well and it didn't end well. Hopefully this works though, sorry if I sound overly negative

OP
OP
Seraphis Cain

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
If it works it works but I think dividing up the wrestling community here is a bad idea plus I'm pretty sure we ran this experiment back on GAF as well and it didn't end well. Hopefully this works though, sorry if I sound overly negative

I understand the concern. And I mean, I'm obviously not going to expect all New Japan discussion to happen in here. If there's folks who prefer WrassleERA, that's fine. I just envision this thread as the r/NJPW to WrassleERA's r/SquaredCircle, y'know? A companion thread of sorts.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I understand the concern. And I mean, I'm obviously not going to expect all New Japan discussion to happen in here. If there's folks who prefer WrassleERA, that's fine. I just envision this thread as the r/NJPW to WrassleERA's r/SquaredCircle, y'know? A companion thread of sorts.

Exactly, and even if it goes dead I'll keep making posts to keep it alive.

Plus, there's tons of NJPW big events that I don't feel the need to make OTs for so discussion for them can be held in here, like this weekend at Power Struggle! I'll do a post of sorts previewing the event in here a bit later.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Showbuckle and Real Neat Puro are great YouTube channels if you want to get to what makes NJPW different.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for this thread! I will post again my "NJPW Single Matches Recommendations for 2017" if you guys don't mind, I will keep it updated. Not all of those matches are the best, but I found them all enjoyable.

January:
  • Kazuchika Okada vs Kenny Omega (Wrestle Kingdom 11)
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Tetsuya Naito (Wrestle Kingdom 11)
  • Katsuyori Shibata vs Hirooki Goto (Wrestle Kingdom 11)
  • Hiromu Takahashi vs KUSHIDA (Wrestle Kingdom 11)

February:
  • Tetsuya Naito vs Michael Elgin (New Beginning in Osaka)
  • Hiromu Takahashi vs Dragon Lee (New Beginning in Osaka)
  • Katsuyori Shibata vs Will Ospreay (New Beginning in Osaka)
  • Kazuchika Okada vs Minoru Suzuki (New Beginning in Sapporo)
  • Hirooki Goto vs Juice Robinson (New Beginning in Sapporo)

March:
  • Kazuchika Okada vs Tiger Mask W (NJPW 45th Anniversary)
  • Hiromu Takahashi vs Ryusuke Taguchi (NJPW 45th Anniversary)
  • Katsuyori Shibata vs Zack Sabre Jr (NJPW 45th Anniversary)
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs EVIL (New Japan Cup - Day 1)
  • Kenny Omega vs Tomohiro Ishii (New Japan Cup - Day 2)
  • Tomohiro Ishii vs SANADA (New Japan Cup - Day 6)
  • Katsuyori Shibata vs Tomohiro Ishii (New Japan Cup - Day 7)
  • Katsuyori Shibata vs Bad Luck Fale (New Japan Cup - Day 8)

April:
  • Katsuyori Shibata vs Kazuchika Okada (Sakura Genesis)
  • Zack Sabre Jr vs Hirooki Goto (Sakura Genesis)
  • Minoru Suzuki vs Hirooki Goto (Road to Wrestling Dontaku)
  • Tetsuya Naito vs Juice Robinson (Wrestling Toyonokuni)
  • Hiromu Takahashi vs Ricochet (Wrestling Toyonokuni)

May:
  • Kenny Omega vs Tomohiro Ishii (Wrestling Dontaku)
  • Kazuchika Okada vs Bad Luck Fale (Wrestling Dontaku)

Best of Super Junior 24:
  • Hiromu Takahashi vs Dragon Lee (Day 1)
  • KUSHIDA vs El Desperado (Day 1)
  • Will Ospreay vs Marty Scurll (Day 1)
  • Hiromu Takahashi vs Jushin Thunder Liger (Day 2)
  • Marty Scurll vs Dragon Lee (Day 2)
  • Ricochet vs Will Ospreay (Day 2)
  • Hiromu Takahashi vs Ricochet (Day 4)
  • Marty Scurll vs Jushin Thunder Liger (Day 4)
  • KUSHIDA vs BUSHI (Day 5)
  • Ryusuke Taguchi vs El Desperado (Day 5)
  • El Desperado vs Volador Jr (Day 7)
  • Will Ospreay vs Dragon Lee (Day 8)
  • KUSHIDA vs Ryusuke Taguchi (Day 11)
  • Marty Scurll vs Ricochet (Day 12)
  • Will Ospreay vs Hiromu Takahashi (Day 12)
  • Will Ospreay vs KUSHIDA (Final)

June:
  • Kenny Omega vs Kazuchika Okada (Dominion)
  • Hiromu Takahashi vs KUSHIDA (Dominion)
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Tetsuya Naito (Dominion)
  • KUSHIDA vs BUSHI (Kizuna Road)

July:
  • Kazuchika Okada vs Cody (G1 Special in USA Day 1)
  • Kenny Omega vs Michael Elgin (G1 Special in USA Day 1)
  • Tetsuya Naito vs Tomohiro Ishii (G1 Special in USA Day 1)
  • Zack Sabre Jr vs Juice Robinson (G1 Special in USA Day 1)
  • Zack Sabre Jr vs Tomohiro Ishii (G1 Special in USA Day 2)
  • Kenny Omega vs Jay Lethal (G1 Special in USA Day 2)
  • Kenny Omega vs Tomohiro Ishii (G1 Special in USA Day 2)
  • Hirai Kawato vs Dick Togo (Lions Gate VII)

G1 Climax 27:
  • Tetsuya Naito vs Kota Ibushi (Day 1)
  • Tomohiro Ishii vs Hirooki Goto (Day 1)
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Zack Sabre Jr (Day 1)
  • Yuji Nagata vs YOSHI-HASHI (Day 1)
  • Kenny Omega vs Minoru Suzuki (Day 2)
  • SANADA vs EVIL (Day 2)
  • Kota Ibushi vs Zack Sabre Jr (Day 3)
  • Hirooki Goto vs Yuji Nagata (Day 3)
  • Tetsuya Naito vs YOSHI-HASHI (Day 3)
  • Tomohiro Ishii vs Togi Makabe (Day 3)
  • Kazuchika Okada vs Michael Elgin (Day 4)
  • EVIL vs Juice Robinson (Day 4)
  • Kota Ibushi vs Tomohiro Ishii (Day 5)
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Yuji Nagata (Day 5)
  • Kazuchika Okada vs SANADA (Day 6)
  • Tetsuya Naito vs Yuji Nagata (Day 7)
  • Tomohiro Ishii vs YOSHI-HASHI (Day 7)
  • Kenny Omega vs Michael Elgin (Day 8)
  • Kazuchika Okada vs Satoshi Kojima (Day 8)
  • Tetsuya Naito vs Tomohiro Ishii (Day 9)
  • Kazuchika Okada vs Juice Robinson (Day 10)
  • Michael Elgin vs SANADA (Day 10)
  • Kota Ibushi vs Hiroshi Tanahashi (Day 11)
  • Tomohiro Ishii vs Yuji Nagata (Day 11)
  • Kenny Omega vs EVIL (Day 12)
  • Juice Robinson vs SANADA (Day 12)
  • Kota Ibushi vs Yuji Nagata (Day 13)
  • Kazuchika Okada vs EVIL (Day 14)
  • Kenny Omega vs Juice Robinson (Day 14)
  • Tomohiro Ishii vs Hiroshi Tanahashi (Day 15)
  • Kazuchika Okada vs Minoru Suzuki (Day 16)
  • Michael Elgin vs EVIL (Day 16)
  • Kenny Omega vs SANADA (Day 16)
  • Tetsuya Naito vs Hiroshi Tanahashi (Day 17)
  • Tomohiro Ishii vs Zack Sabre Jr (Day 17)
  • Yuji Nagata vs Bad Luck Fale (Day 17)
  • Kenny Omega vs Kazuchika Okada (Day 18)
  • Kenny Omega vs Tetsuya Naito (Final)

September:
  • Minoru Suzuki vs Michael Elgin (Destruction in Fukushima)
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Zack Sabre Jr (Destruction in Hiroshima)
  • KUSHIDA vs El Desperado (Destruction in Hiroshima)
  • Kenny Omega vs Juice Robinson (Destruction in Kobe)
  • Trent Beretta vs Yujiro Takahashi (Destruction in Kobe)

October:
  • Kazuchika Okada vs EVIL (King of Pro Wrestling)
  • KUSHIDA vs Will Ospreay (King of Pro Wrestling)
  • Tetsuya Naito vs Tomohiro Ishii (King of Pro Wrestling)

Yesssssssss Taupy

Great post. Only thing I'll say is don't try to smash all of these matches consecutively... that's no way to watch wrestling. You'll get fatigued, no matter how great the matches are. Watch maybe 1 or 2 matches a day, at most, I'd say.

OP
OP
Seraphis Cain

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Yesssssssss Taupy

Great post. Only thing I'll say is don't try to smash all of these matches consecutively... that's no way to watch wrestling. You'll get fatigued, no matter how great the matches are. Watch maybe 1 or 2 matches a day, at most, I'd say.

Myself and Bikkun watched every single G1 card minus the last four days leading up to the final three at Ryougoku (because by that point I was getting massively burned out). Not just the tournament matches. Every match.

I don't know how I'm going to make it through the next G1. Dear god.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Myself and Bikkun watched every single G1 card minus the last four days leading up to the final three at Ryougoku (because by that point I was getting massively burned out). Not just the tournament matches. Every match.

Why would you do that to yourself, just skip of the tags.

mephixto

Oct 25, 2017
Marking out like a 12 year old boy at 4/5am is one of the highlights of this year for me all thanks to NJPW.

Gontrand

Oct 27, 2017
Yesssssssss Taupy

I burned out at the end of the G1, but I really had a great time. It was hard to go back and watch other wrestling afterward. I started watching AJPW from 1987 to 1989 since then, I want to make my way up to the end of the 90s as it is considered one of the best period for wrestling.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
2017 is the greatest single year of wrestling I've seen since 2000. While 2000 (and the rest of the 90s wrestling boom in North America from 96-2001) was fun to watch mainly because of the storylines, the promos, the war between two separate promotions and just how OVER each character was (Scotty 2 Hotty's W.O.R.M got a louder pop than anyone does in WWE today)... 2017 succeeds thanks to one promotion, and one reason:

New Japan Pro Wrestling and fucking WORK RATE.

That's not to say that the characters aren't over or lack charisma. Far from it. I'm almost certain that as you watch more and more 2017 NJPW, you will begin to understand the appeal of the various New Japan factions: Bullet Club, The Elite, Suzuki-gun and Los Ingobernables de Japon.

But the main reason why New Japan is experiencing such unprecedented popularity in the Western wrestling world is due to the in ring performances in 2017. Pro Wrestling has always been a universal language, so even if you can't understand the Japanese promos or commentary, a non-native watcher can always understand and enjoy the story being told in the ring. Never has that been more true in 2017.

New Japan kicked off the year with their annual big show, Wrestle Kingdom 11 on January 4. Their equivalent to Wrestlemania, basically. Wrestle Kingdom 11 was considered by many to be one of the greatest cards in the history of pro wrestling, and the main event may very well have been the greatest match of all time. To ANYONE looking to get into New Japan, I recommend sitting down and watching the final 4 matches from Wrestle Kingdom 11. If you like what you see, then New Japan might be for you. If you don't, then you don't!

KUSHIDA (c) vs. Hiromu Takahashi
Katsuyori Shibata (c) vs. Hirooki Goto
Tetsuya Naito (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi
Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. Kenny Omega

"Kenny Omega and Kazuchika Okada may have put on the greatest match in pro wrestling history" - Dave Meltzer"

WK kicked off the year for New Japan, and in my mind, solidified 3 men as the GODS of pro wrestling in 2017: Kazuchika Okada, Kenny Omega and Tetsuya Naito. As the year went on, Okada, Omega and Naito would go on to have utterly incredible matches with almost every opponent they faced. In any other year, Kenny Omega's match with Tomohiro Ishii at G1 in USA would have been a match of the year candidate. This year, it probably won't even crack the top 10. The bar has been raised by these three men and the rest of New Japan. However, Okada and Omega would go on to have two more matches in 2017 together, and Omega would face off with Naito. These three matches, in addition to the WK main event, are all legitimate classics. For them to all take place in one single year is down right insane.

The Omega and Okada rivalry gives me strong Austin/Rock vibes. Two men going out there and actively trying to one up each other. Two men who clearly want to be the face of the company. They aren't going out there to collect a pay cheque, they're going out there to COLLECT STARS. If that means a dragon suplex on the god damn neck, then so be it. They are out there actively killing themselves to get over, and to elevate their opponent. At the same time, you have Naito right there, who plays the Foley or HHH role: arguably more over, more charismatic and more talented than the other two.

It's no surprise that many have called Okada's year in 2017 on par with Ric Flair's legendary run in the late 80s... perhaps even surpassing the Nature Boy at sheer in ring performance and elevation of his opponents.

In short, all of that excitement I got watching wrestling in the late 90s and early 2000s; all of the promos, all of the over characters, all of the story telling and work rate and heat... it all gets across in 2017 with New Japan Pro Wrestling. But it's all done in the ring. You can walk into Wrestle Kingdom 11 knowing fuck all about Omega and Okada, and come out feeling like you can write an essay about their characters thanks to what they get across in the ring.

If you feel burned out on wrestling, or burned out on WWE like I was, I implore you to give New Japan a shot. Wrestling isn't bad in 2017, the biggest company in the world just doesn't give a fuck. Here's a quick infographic I made a few months back to showcase just how insane and consistent Okada and Omega have been this year:

Again, take any of those matches above, plop it into another year, and you have the match of the year. THOSE ALL HAPPENED IN 2017. THE FUCK

WATCH NEW JAPAN YOU JABRONI

Bikkun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
South Carolina, USA

Speaking of, we still haven't gotten to those matches

Why would you do that to yourself, just skip of the tags.

But we love the wrestlers tho....

Gontrand

Oct 27, 2017
I made a point to watch all the Hirai Kawato, Katsuya Kitamura and Tomoyuki Oka matches during the G1, I love to see the progression from the young lions.

Like pretty much everybody else, I think that Kawato is the best of the bunch at the moment and it wouldn't surprise me if he went on his excursion after the Young Lion Cup or Fantasticamania. Kitamura is really impressive looking but I still think he has some trouble to move around in the ring, his footwork still needs a lot of work but he has monster star potential. Tomoyuki Oka really lacks personality but to me he seems like a guy that will give us solid Heavyweight matchup in the future. Everytime I look at him I swear I'm always telling myself that he looks like what Ishii would look like if he was 6'1.

OP
OP
Seraphis Cain

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
We don't watch it live as much because sleep is needed, but we do for big big shows if I don't have to get up the next day. Seraphis Cain has made it clear he's watching Wrestle Kingdom with or without me. XD

Yeah. To clarify a bit, Bikkun and I usually watch shows the day after they air together while talking on Discord. But WK is a big deal and I'm watching that live no matter what, heh.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am blessed that NJPW shows air at about 6-8PM here, in general. I feel really bad for everyone else.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
I love them to but no body got time to watch a muti man tag kenny do shit at half speed.

Yeah I can't imagine spending an hour watching half speed tags when there's so much good wrestling in the world to watch. (unless there's an interesting matchup. I almost always watch stuff with good YL matchups and most of the LIJ trios stuff has been great.