• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
They passed this before, then Christie vetoed it. Now the State has a Dem Governor. I can't wait for the Criminal in Chief's tax returns to go public.

The names of candidates for President or Vice-President of the United States shall not be printed upon the ballot unless, not later than 50 days before the general election, each candidate files with the Division of Elections in the Department of State a copy of the candidate's federal income tax returns, as that term is defined in section 6103(b)(1) of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. s.6103), for at least the five most recent taxable years for which the candidate has filed such a return with the Internal Revenue Service.

https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2018/Bills/S0500/119_I1.HTM

https://www.northjersey.com/story/n...-2020-ballot-releases-tax-returns/2926652002/

MadScientist

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. Not sure if it's entirely constitutional, but I at least like the idea on paper.

Maybe not. I guess then don't run for president if you won't disclose your tax info. I think someone like the president should be as transparent as possible to show there are no conflicts of interests or to divest from those conflicts if so.

Oct 30, 2017
I like the idea. But I don't really like seeing individual states having so much flexibility with how federal elections are administered.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I'm real interested in how that holds up in the court system. I feel like that can't be constitutional?

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. This will most certainly receive a federalism challenge in the courts, and probably be struck.

Five years of tax records is also a lot. Most tax professionals I know recommend people keep at least the last three to six years of returns. But who knows how much the average person actually keeps (probably one, or zero).

Last edited:

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think will hold up

What's stopping other states from arbitrarily deciding to keep candidates off the ballot for whatever reason they decide is disqualifying

Like yeah this should be disqualifying but I don't think this'll work

OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I like the idea. But I don't really like seeing individual states having so much flexibility with how federal elections are administered.
States arguably already have too much power, given that votes in some States count for more than others. This probably won't stand up in courts, but at least it will keep the pressure on to release the tax returns that the Criminal in Chief already said he'd be happy to release. Those fucks will still claim they are "the most transparent" while fighting lawsuits to prevent being as transparent as every politician in the last 40 years.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I wouldn't trust the leader of my country if I couldn't see atleast some of his finacials nowadays.

Yep. I don't expect decades of tax returns, but it seems reasonable to me to see what stake our leaders have in the tax policies they promote. It's why I wish that Bernie would do the same - even if his taxes showed he was one of the millionaires/billionaires he wants to tax more, so what? I'd still vote for him anyway since he has a long history of being on the right side of that policy. (On the other hand, in the very unlikely case that he had been paying little/no taxes at all, then I'd definitely have a problem with that...)

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
If America is able to survive Trump, then these are the kinds of changes that will happen to prevent any more Trump types coming to power.

OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
If America is able to survive Trump, then these are the kinds of changes that will happen to prevent any more Trump types coming to power.
Financial disclosure ahead of time has to be a requirement not a tradition. Clearly we can't trust a candidate or their followers to do it by themselves. We should also tighten up the rules around pardons so they can't be used to favor friends or stifle ongoing investigations in a PotuS.