• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which titles are you the most excited for?

• Jet Set Radio

Votes: 667 53.3%
  • Crazy Taxi

Votes: 424 33.9%
  • Shinobi

Votes: 323 25.8%
  • Streets of Rage

Votes: 153 12.2%
  • Golden Axe

Votes: 229 18.3%

• Total voters

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I just want a PSO3 with the same melancholic tone as PSO1 and with an active dodge.

Actually my dream is for it to straight up have Souls-style combat but I know it gets annoying with people saying everything should be like Souls. But it's only because Souls games made me feel very much like PSO did back when.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
mynintendonews.com

SEGA says reveal of IP revivals is “just the start of our initiative”

One of the biggest announcements from The Game Awards this past week was SEGA’s reveal of multiple IP revivals. Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, Golden Axe, Shinobi and Streets of Rage were all confirmed to…
A fansite reposting a story from another fansite sourcing WaPo.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
IPs shown at the VGA were targeted for western audience (Megadrive/Dreamcast), i'm pretty sure a bunch of Saturn's IPs or RPGs are kept for jp events 😎

Honestly it felt like first wave/phase 1 kind of trailer. And for them it was a LOT considering we also have a new Sonic, Yakuza/Judgment, and Persona all in development too. I just dont know how many games (with decent budgets) SEGA can have in development all at once. Its a radical change from the way they were operating a few years ago. I wonder if they even have the budget and resources to take on anymore big games till these are released (as Sonic, Yakuza, and Persona are also coming with them)

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
i'd be so down for that too!
also, in what way did you find OG PSO souls-like? maybe some bosses?
The general melancholy feeling, the deliberate combat (though it's likely thay was in part due to internet speeds at the time), and the sense of exploring a hostile world.

Plus you run around these environments doing the same three hit combo over and over again!

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
The general melancholy feeling, the deliberate combat (though it's likely thay was in part due to internet speeds at the time), and the sense of exploring a hostile world.

Plus you run around these environments doing the same three hit combo over and over again!

🤣 felt that last one, even if it was way more common for me in PSO!

yeah, there definitely was a melancholy feeling, and the world was hostile at that
i can't honestly tell you want direction i'd like to see PSO go in to return to any of that feel, i just know its current one isn't it for me

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
Sega official 2016 poll
category-3.png

#14 👀

Oshima and Sega recently worked together...

so many i'd wanna see here! OutRun outta be higher, surprised my boy alex kidd made the list haha

How is Phantasy Star (single player) not on this list....

It's not considered dormant, because of PSO2

true but that series doesn't really have much in common with the single player classics these days

that said, much like seeing shining force on that list, both series had such swan songs & i don't know how much of either team remains (rip camelot) or what i'd want from them

phantasy star iv ended the series so nicely, and honestly shining force iii is incredible & just ought to see a proper localized release somehow

WildArms

Apr 30, 2022
🤣 felt that last one, even if it was way more common for me in PSO!

yeah, there definitely was a melancholy feeling, and the world was hostile at that
i can't honestly tell you want direction i'd like to see PSO go in to return to any of that feel, i just know its current one isn't it for me

For me, I'd like to see it take a more story focused approach and just... bring back the thrill of rare item finding.

If not a story focused approach then maybe look to Xenoblade Chronicles X for its environmental storytelling / worldbuilding.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Honestly it felt like first wave/phase 1 kind of trailer. And for them it was a LOT considering we also have a new Sonic, Yakuza/Judgment, and Persona all in development too. I just dont know how many games (with decent budgets) SEGA can have in development all at once. Its a radical change from the way they were operating a few years ago. I wonder if they even have the budget and resources to take on anymore big games till these are released (as Sonic, Yakuza, and Persona are also coming with them)
Maybe we can finally get a Sakura wars collection on switch/modern platforms/worldwide

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
true but that series doesn't really have much in common with the single player classics these days
thats preposterous! and as someone who played a preposterous amount of pso back when, i always felt the licence had no bearing on the game save for the name of the money

Hey, I'm not saying I agree haha... but that's how Sega sees it. They put "Phantasy Star" as a whole under current IP.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
With Shuji Utsumi's policy, nothing is impossible anymore.😘
Shenmue 0, Shenmue Kiwami 1,2,3, very soon, baby ! 😎🔥😆
RGG will finish Shenmue Kiwami 1 in 3 months 😁🤣😆

Also

View: https://x.com/neodos_/status/1733954370293678294?s=20

Considering how unreliable RGGS is with their own Kiwami games, they should be banned from touching anyone elses. Not to mention how no one needs remakes of Shenmue 1&2 (3 is up for grabs since that game was never finished), but we need the series to move forwards, not backwards.

Last edited:

ted90909

Apr 11, 2022
It would just be a waste of RGG's own resources when they could be better used in either thrusting the main LAD games forward or doing something different. Shenmue thankfully isn't Sega's problem anymore

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
I guess I was right

JSR is a Super Game. The recruitment page for that has been replaced by hiring for JSR.
It's made in the same division as PSO2 and that division is confirmed to focus on GaaS through interviews.
It's also the farthest away, pre production makes sense considering 2025 is the earliest the Super Game was said to release. They consider it to be AAA from the criteria that was on that job post graphic and criteria that they mentioned for Super Game...but not looking like that for now lol

Last edited:

Suzuki Yu

Oct 25, 2017
Jeddah
OK based on both of these interviews, it seems like they did relocate all the people who were working on JSR project from Division 4 (mobile Division) to Division 3 (Online Division)

www.sega.co.jp

『SuperGame』インタビュー | 採用サイト|株式会社セガ -【SEGA CORPORATION】

株式会社セガの新卒・中途・アルバイト採用サイトです。『プライズ』開発秘話などをご覧いただけます。

www.sega.co.jp

『ジェットセットラジオ』開発者インタビュー | 採用サイト|株式会社セガ -【SEGA CORPORATION】

株式会社セガの新卒・中途・アルバイト採用サイトです。『ジェットセットラジオ』開発者インタビューなどをご覧いただけます。

Damn! PSO2, JSR, Crazy Taxi & Colorful Stage all under one roof!

Last edited:

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
I hope they remake PSO. That would be the best game announcement ever for me. New Genesis just didn't hit the same way as the original.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I was right

JSR is a Super Game. The recruitment page for that has been replaced by hiring for JSR.
It's made in the same division as PSO2 and that division is confirmed to focus on GaaS through interviews.
It's also the farthest away, pre production makes sense considering 2025 is the earliest the Super Game was said to release. They consider it to be AAA from the criteria that was on that job post graphic and criteria that they mentioned for Super Game...but not looking like that for now lol

That's.. concerning. JSR is not the kind of project you dump that kind of money into. As much as I love that Sega is giving it attention, I do not think it has the appeal to drive a Gaas game, especially not one with the resources they said are going into these 'super games'. JSR is a series that would do well with a moderate budget releases. There's a ton of new fans now and interest thanks to bomb rush.

And regardless, I feel that most fans would rather just have a normal release instead. Because two things I don't want to think about as a JSR fan: If the service shuts down, is it going to become lost media? If it flops what happens to the series?

Why try to capture a mass audience when you know good and well that you only have a small but dedicated fanbase?

I would hate to lose faith immediately, but if this is the case, it's going to be a big uphill battle to make this a success.

Last edited:

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
I still can't believe this is real.

Hopefully, we'll be able to hear more about these games soon!

beat

Oct 28, 2017
How successful would this venture — reviving old Sega IPs — have to be for them to make a new Gunvalkyrie?

chivibowie

Feb 14, 2019
Division 3, huh? 🤔 They have good and varied projects currently. The shift of the JSR team from Division 4 to 3 would explain the increase in developers in that division.

penguinecon

alt account
Banned
Nov 12, 2023
I guess I was right

I wonder what the thought process behind this was. I was sure JSR was dead because of how the remaster didn't do well despite being on everything at the time. But if they're making it GaaS then they must have faith the IP can sell. I wonder if Fortnite being cartoony and having dancing convinced them to give JSR another go.

I need to see more before I can really solidify my feelings on this. I loved JSR (still haven't played Future, really hoped Sega would remaster that one but guess not) but JSR with grinding to unlock everything sounds like it could get boring quick. I refuse to drop money on in-game currencies or finite items.

How successful would this venture — reviving old Sega IPs — have to be for them to make a new Gunvalkyrie?

Gunvalkyrie being a single game IP locked to the orignal Xbox probably puts it at the bottom of the list. Sega should port their original Xbox lineup to modern platforms. I'm sure Otogi could sell more with From Soft being a household name.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I have a strange affinity for 3D brawlers. I know they're often not very good, which is certainly how this one may end up, but I may enjoy it regardless. I'm one of those people who thought Fighting Force was the coolest. So let's hold on hope and give Streets of Rage one of my votes.

Jet Set Radio gets my other vote. I liked JSRF, but I think maybe more for its aesthetics than from actually playing it. But maybe that could suffice. And it just looks like the one out of these that's getting the most oomph, doesn't it?

Never got to play a Crazy Taxi. Iffy on whether I'd be into it. I like its arcade sensibilities in one sense, but am also put off by them as I tend to dislike the stress of time limits. I wanna play, not stress.

Don't really feel anything towards Shinobi or Golden Axe.

Nazgoth

May 17, 2018
Belgium
Apr 21, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Ableist Slur
Relevant:

View: https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1734072995378008495?

View: https://youtu.be/rZb8MTvarrQ?feature=shared
Love to see people going a bit mental already in the meantime and suggesting stuff like Burning Rangers is 100% real coming back even though it hasn't been seriously mentioned by Sega themselves once, lol

You know i'm Craaaaazy retar**d but Sega nuts like weirdos like me 😆:
www.timeextension.com

Sonic Boss Doesn't Rule Out Possibility Of A New Burning Rangers Or Nights Game

"There may be some future where you’ll be hearing about these kinds of titles"

Last edited:

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Maybe we can finally get a Sakura wars collection on switch/modern platforms/worldwide

That wouldnt take much effort so its possible. I just think we shouldnt be expecting big new installments on the level of JSR and Crazy Taxi for a lot of the IPs they mentioned.

I guess I was right

The last financial report had the first "super game" releasing by March 2026. If JSR is that game then I have no idea why the insider in this thread is repeatedly saying its targeting 2024

ted90909

Apr 11, 2022
You know i'm Craaaaazy retar**d but Sega nuts like weirdos like me 😆:
www.timeextension.com

Sonic Boss Doesn't Rule Out Possibility Of A New Burning Rangers Or Nights Game

"There may be some future where you’ll be hearing about these kinds of titles"
That easy headline clearly only happened because the interviewer specifically put it to them. You haven't seen anyone at Sega actively come out and say they want to return to Burning Rangers like they did with Samba of late, plus like another wonderful fan favourite Skies of Arcadia, it notably hasn't ever cropped up in any of the 'IP Utilisation' talk throughout SegaSammy's recent IRs.

The tragedy is with titles like these - BR suffered because of the Saturn and Skies was failed twice over, selling dreadfully on both the Dreamcast and the GameCube. I'd love them to return more than any others as they do have so much more untapped creative potential and strong characters, but I am realistic. So Billy Hatcher revival here we come... (I don't even like that one lmao)

Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
Outrun and After Burner seem like such bad IP to attempt to reboot. Like what do you do to those games that would make people want them today?

I could see After Burner becoming an Ace Combat like. Outrun... I've absolutely no idea what they could do with it.

Make everything a proper arcade game and just market them under the genre "roguelite."

Rogues are non linear by nature, you will never see the same thing twice, while arcade games are linear. Although, I think adding a rogue mode to a potential Golden Axe game would be perfect.

Last edited:

penguinecon

alt account
Banned
Nov 12, 2023
Its still baffling to me the latest Sakura Wars is a ps4 exclusive. No wonder it failed when they put it on the platform with the second best sales in a declining console market.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/Komi_Games/status/1612506044554530816

We know another one of the developers for one of the 3d action games. Either Golden Axe and Streets of Rage are made with an american developer called Komi Games

This news deflated my hype for Streets of Rage somewhat (I'm sure that's the one they're making), I really wanted to like Mighty Fight Federation but it just felt so stiff and awful to me. Hopefully it's a more traditional beat 'em up that doesn't play anything like that game did.