• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Three recent job listings have revealed a bit more details on what Monolith Productions is currently working on. The Kirkland based studio finished production on Middle Earth Shadow of War back in 2017 and has gone quiet ever since. A job listing for an associate UI designer describes it as "our next big gaming innovation". Should you land this job, some of the tasks are "helping create menus, icons, stats/inventory screens, in-game HUD elements, and animated motion graphics".

The game looks to use Monolith's own engine and tools, as all the work needs to "implement UI content into Monolith Productions Propriety engine using in-house tools." This in-house engine also looks to be upgraded as a software engineer job listings is looking for somebody that helps "building cutting-edge technology and powering the development of Monolith's next generation of console and PC games."

The third job listing is for a character systems designer. This person is to make systems that "drive innovative interactions and behaviors between the player and non-player characters." This applicant is required to have experience in 3D open world action games, so we might be looking at an open world title. Another interesting requirement is a "Strong understanding of modern pop culture trends
within the entertainment industry with an ability to successfully apply to UI art style as needed."

Edit:

Two more job listings just went up at Monolith: Associate Producer and Senior World Designer. Seems like they are really ramping up production.

careers.wbgames.com

WB Games Jobs

WB Games Jobs
careers.wbgames.com

WB Games Jobs

WB Games Jobs

Last edited:

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
The nemesis orcs will start texting you hate messages at 3 in the morning.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like they're building off of the Nemesis system, maybe applying it to all kinds of npcs and not just to create dynamic antagonists.

LazerRanger

Oct 28, 2017
I'd love WB Games/Monolith to do a modern Matrix game and think using the Mordor games as a base could be pretty awesome.
Having complex NPCs would be perfect for The Matrix universe as well.
Edit:
For me they are my favourite of the two Monolith's as I've bounced off both of the Xenoblade games I played.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like they're building off of the Nemesis system, maybe applying it to all kinds of npcs and not just to create dynamic antagonists.

Or Nemesis system with other players? Generate NPC like elements to start needs between players who play cat and mouse through single player activities, then moves to a final confrontation.

Nov 8, 2017
I actually liked Shadow of Mordor a fair bit, but the followup had so many progression systems layered on top of the game that it was overwhelming. I can't imagine what they're working on next wouldn't continue to follow such designs when Shadow of War was successful.

Hey at least the tech they work with runs smoothly!

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I really enjoyed the Shadow of War/Mordor games despite having some flaws.

Let's see what they do next.

Deleted member 12555

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or Nemesis system with other players? Generate NPC like elements to start needs between players who play cat and mouse through single player activities, then moves to a final confrontation.

Could be cool! There's admittedly a lot of ways they could build off of it and the way they're presenting it does make it sound ambitious. Don't know if it's just to generate interest in the studio, but I'm sure they wouldn't need to do that. Eager to see what it is! And if it's original IP or not.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
How can people confuse MONOLITH PRODUCTIONS with MONOLITH SOFT in an enthusiastic forum lol

But i won't be surprised when people are still confusing AVALANCHE SOFTWARE with AVALANCHE STUDIOS.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Worth pointing out, I feel, when the majority of posts so far reduce down to "aww why isn't this the Japanese Monolith?? :("

On-topic: Monolith has consistently proven throughout its decades of existence that it is able and willing to explore new properties and gameplay; I'm excited to see what they've got coming.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I had A LOT of fun with Shadow of Mordor at the beginning of the gen, but Shadow of War was insufferable. I'm still willing to give them a pass and buy their next game though, it seems they've learned something with SoW.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
How can people confuse MONOLITH PRODUCTIONS with MONOLITH SOFT in an enthusiastic forum lol

But i won't be surprised when people are still confusing AVALANCHE SOFTWARE with AVALANCHE STUDIOS.

I still get confused as to which studio made Disney INFINITY.

Nah, this is the good Monolith, not the weeb one.

/s

MEH-MEH

Seriously though, I don't think it's productive to pull the "wrong Monolith" response when everybody clearly knows the difference between the two studios.

Shig

Oct 30, 2017
Gotham City Impostors 2 pls

Not being facetious, GCI was a blast.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
Theres another Monolith? Whenever I see this name I get F.E.A.R flashback as a teen on my 1280x1024 crt monitor.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Thought it was Monolith Soft and got excited.

ZDVgQYI.gif

Deleted member 54073

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Hopefully it's not another 'Shadow of' game. I finished Shadow of Mordor but spent about 30 mins with Shadow of War before deciding I'd had enough.

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if they'd make a proper Blood 2 to atone for their past sins and crimes against all that is good and holy and by that I mean say sorry for the unbelievable shitfest Blood 2 was.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oop, thought this was monolithsoft. Interest dropped like a rock when you said kirkland studio haha

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It says they are trying to make something groundbreaking and hiring someone that makes UI and interfaces that arent shit, thats two clear indicators that they are not the other studio.