• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

element

Oct 27, 2017
It's by a new team in San Diego. It's literally in one of the job listings.
Not in the one you posted about.
There is a new team.
Still going with my view. They are filling out a service team to support a title already in development.

If they were building out a team why aren't there any designer openings? A simple Linkedin search of "Designer" working at Sony or PlayStation in San Diego only returns the designers on MLB The Show.

Again. Dedicated art support for a title already in development. Even the JD makes it clear "we have a clear vision and plan to release", they are looking for firefighters.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Sony? Making a third person action game?! NO WAY!

I'm being glib because I love.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Still going with my view. They are filling out a service team to support a title already in development.

If they were building out a team why aren't there any designer openings? A simple Linkedin search of "Designer" working at Sony or PlayStation in San Diego only returns the designers on MLB The Show.

Again. Dedicated art support for a title already in development. Even the JD makes it clear "we have a clear vision and plan to release", they are looking for firefighters.

I wonder if they are being drafted in to help with TLOU Part 2?

OP
OP
Sillegamer

Sillegamer

Oct 27, 2017

Your view?

"Sony PlayStation is building a new game development team in partnership with the Visual Arts Service Group (VSG), an award-winning, full-production studio that specializes in Animation, Motion Capture, Cinematics, Art and Scanning".

"The new game development team will leverage our existing expertise and premier talent, guaranteeing a high visual quality bar for the title."

element

Oct 27, 2017
Your view?

"Sony PlayStation is building a new game development team in partnership with the Visual Arts Service Group (VSG), an award-winning, full-production studio that specializes in Animation, Motion Capture, Cinematics, Art and Scanning".

"The new game development team will leverage our existing expertise and premier talent, guaranteeing a high visual quality bar for the title."
Yes. My view as someone who has worked in games for 20 years. The second quote gives it away what they are providing, art support. They have been the in-house studio for mo-cap and 3d scanning (materials, clothing, facial capture) to leverage their existing talent to guarantee a high visual bar.

Looking over all the JD that fall into this, they are looking for senior staff. people who can step in. follow the schedule. take charge. get shit done on time.

If they were filling out a full team you would see more variety in the open positions.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark

It literally mentions a new game development team.

Also it was speculated that Q-Train (former Naughty Dog) had joined this new team as a game designer.

Still waiting to hear about this project, Q-Train!

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
If Uncharted has to go on, I hope is something like Lost Legacy.

But it's Knack 3.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I like the type of game Uncharted represents but I would prefer a completely different setting instead of another sequel. Give us Starlight!

Oct 30, 2017
It's time for Uncharted to reinvent itself.

I'm not saying it should be open world as Uncharted at its core is narrative driven that has a linear story with tons of set pieces. Making it open world it would lose that.

What I want is a Uncharted Prequel with the original Francis Drake. A pirate game looking for treasure. Exploring islands and sailing. Combat can be a mix of ship combat, gun play and melee sword combat. They can add some RPG elements such h as upgrading your ship, and getting new swords. But the focus should stay on a good narrative and great characters.

Apr 9, 2018
If it's a PS5 launch title, this would indicate it's an existing 3rd person franchise. Unless Sony is ballsy and launches it with a new 3rd person action adventure IP.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lost Legacy was the best Uncharted game (fight me), so I hope they continue somehow with them.
This. John Kodera (SIE) said they want to invest even more in 1st party and in proven 1st party IPs. Uncharted is such an IP.
I think the new team at San Diego is working on a new Uncharted. They have ex-Naughty Dog devs and they are working together with Naughty Dog, as it seems. Fans want it (as can be seen everywhere), Uncharted sold over 10 million copies worldwide and The Lost Legacy proved that you don't need Nate to make an amazing Uncharted game.
So let's bring it on. More Uncharted please! :)

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
I also think it's Uncharted 5. It's such a big IP that it has no sense to schelve it. Naughty Dog will create their new IP for PS5 while this team will make Uncharted 5 or an other Uncharted spinoff like Lost Legacy.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
If its UC5 then it better have a GoW-like reboot and a vastly better MP than UC4 devolved into after UC2/UC3'a amazing MP

Oct 30, 2017
I know they won't because money, but can we PLEASE let Uncharted rest for a while? I've loved all the games but it could use a rest.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Naughty Dog: Uncharted has run its course creatively, and I think we've taken it to a natural stopping point

Sony:
QNcdKZ6.gif

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Wait Sony started a new studio in San Diego or is this just an expansion of their current studio in San Diego adding a new team?

Deleted member 43220

May 11, 2018
What if it'll not be Uncharted 5 but.. JAK 4?!

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I mean, most of Sony's first-party games are considered third-person action-adventure cinematic single-player, so this could be a new IP or an older IP. However, I highly doubt Sony wants to let go of Uncharted when it outsold the Smash Brothers series (pre-Ultimate) and keeps selling millions of copies, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was an Uncharted game. It could be a Nathan Drake lead game or some new character. Regardless, I love Uncharted. Uncharted 2 is my favorite game of all time so I'm always down for more. I wouldn't mind if Uncharted is Sony's Halo-type series, like a stronghold of their first-party that refuses to die.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If its UC5 then it better have a GoW-like reboot and a vastly better MP than UC4 devolved into after UC2/UC3'a amazing MP
U2 still has the best MP. But I love U4's idea of using characters and their VA.

I still find it ridiculous that it took the MP team that long to release an old school mode for U4. A slap in the face to the old school fans, esp since it was such a highly requested feature during the Beta period.

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy
In response to the baseless speculation, wasn't it you that published a huge list of "baseless speculation" regarding Sony's E3 2014 that got Dualshockers banned from Gaf?

No. It was not speculation. It was plain wrong info from someone who I wrongly trusted several years ago partly confirmed by someone else I wrongly trusted (and incidentally I was not the only one who trusted him at that time, threads on his "leaks" appeared on GAF all the time before he kind of fell out of grace).

The thing is, I learned my lesson (the hard way), owned up to it, apologized, and ever since I steer very clear from this stuff. Considering that today we saw articles stating that P5R would be a Switch exclusive, others have not.

Last edited:

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
Doubt it's Uncharted.

Sony has been preaching all about "best in class" lately and an Uncharted without ND behind it doesn't fit that mindset. It's like Bloodborne 2 but without Miyazaki as the director.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Creating a new studio to milk the uncharted franchise isn't exciting to me at all. Sony can do better than that.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Maybe I misunderstand the word "cinematic", but for me a "cinematic game" is an interactive movie, a linear game where you follow a story that you can't change, with realistic graphics. So, basically, exactly Uncharted and the opposed of Spider-Man and InFamous (open world IP). But again, maybe I just misunderstand the meaning of "cinematic" and if it is the case, I'm sorry.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Creating a new studio to milk the uncharted franchise isn't exciting to me at all. Sony can do better than that.

Much better than having their most talented studios sentenced to working on their biggest franchises to keep milking them. I like it a lot more than Microsoft´s idea of having their studios as ¨the Halo studio, the Gears studio, etc.¨ with no flexibility to move onto new IPs