• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
This has been the core speculation about what the new Sony studio will be doing - making the next Uncharted.

And it has zero evidence beyond people saying:

'Look! It's close to ND, and Q-Train is working there! And Kodera said they're going to leverage their older IPs! It must be Uncharted!!!'

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely want to see what kinds of games come from the new studios they acquired. Thats the last I´ll say since you seem bothered by them being discussed here.

As for Uncharted continuing, I can see why Sony doesn´t want to shelve the IP. At one point it was their biggest series and Sony was nearly dependent on it continuing to ensure they´d have a guaranteed massive console seller. But things are so different now. God of War, Spider-Man, Horizon, The Last of Us, etc. are such huge franchises that they dont really need to go out of their way to make sure they have an Uncharted on PS5 when they have a bunch of series on that level presently. Then again, it is still another 10+ million selling game they have in their fold so they aren´t going to move on from it when there is so much more they can do with the IP.

So with it selling so much and being so beloved, they probably don´t want to lose consumers who see Uncharted as one of their top reasons for buying a new PlayStation. I even have a sister who adores Uncharted and wants to see a new one for PS5.

Well just like most companies they will continue to leverage old IP's if they think it can sell. I imagine now that Horizon is a big hit there will be another. Same with Spiderman.

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
Can we have Cassie Drake as the main character please? She's clearly itching for adventure and it'd be fun to see what mischief Nate and Elena's kid would be up to. Especially if she's young in her first solo game, something like 18-20 years old.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I see Uncharted is mentioned, and not one Socom or Syphon Filter hahaha You're gonna see some sort of Third Person Shooter next gen, they've systematically put them out generation after generation.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
Uncharted 5 would be an amazing choice if that's what this new team is making.

TheManWhoSoldVG

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 30, 2018
I honestly dont see them working on Uncharted 5 as of yet. Why open up a new studio to work on the next big sequel to a franchise which already concluded. Tho I could see them working on a spin off for Uncharted like Lost Legacy tho that is still unlikely. There either working on a new story driven third person shooter IP or an support studio to help other WWS out.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I thought we knew that the San Diego studio was going to be doing uncharted, or at least heavily implied already

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
When has Sony ever made/funded cinematic third person action games not named Uncharted?

Is this a real question? Spider-Man and God of War just came out this year and Days Gone, Last of Us 2 and Ghosts of Tsushima are coming out in 2019. Sony almost exclusively makes cinematic third-person action games.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't describe InFamous as "cinematic". Spider-Man neither.

Many of the story beats are tightly controlled. They have cinematic setpieces. Just because the games are open world doesn't detract from that. Hell even uncharted and TLOU have huge sandbox areas, that only become cinematic when you hit certain points.

But given this is a new studio, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried working on a new project or revive a Sony franchise we thought dead.

Oct 25, 2017
Not too keen on another Uncharted game especially when it's not from Naughty Dog. Uncharted 2 is one of my favorite games, but they need to change things up considerably gameplay-wise for the formula not to feel stale at this point. And if they're doing that then why not just do a new IP and let Uncharted rest(yeah yeah brand power and all that)

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, do we know any staff about this studio?

Yes, Quentin Cobb - senior game designer, former multiplayer designer at Naughty Dog.
I have also found:
David Hall - game directior
1zvd1l.png

John Bautista - senior designer
xknlvl.png

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
So, an ex ND but doesn't speak much about what we think Uncharted is.
And a couple of ex Double Helix guys, including a director.

Ok, let's see how this goes, I'm leaning into no Uncharted camp.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Many of the story beats are tightly controlled. They have cinematic setpieces. Just because the games are open world doesn't detract from that. Hell even uncharted and TLOU have huge sandbox areas, that only become cinematic when you hit certain points.
Every game has cinematics, even Skyrim or Zelda Breath of the wild, but I wouldn't describe them as "cinematic game".

For me, it's linear games VS non linear games. Uncharted, the three first God of War are linear (and I would say "cinematic"), InFamous and Spider-Man aren't.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's keep in mind in the past there weren't as many cinematic storytelling as there is today. I know Zipper, /6 or whomever would include both those elements, ultimately, in a new game.
Seriously, it's gonna be Uncharted or at least a new IP before it's gonna be a new Socom, which is a dead IP by now like The Order ;)

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Every game has cinematics, even Skyrim or Zelda Breath of the wild, but I wouldn't describe them as "cinematic game".

For me, it's linear games VS non linear games. Uncharted, the three first God of War are linear (and I would say "cinematic"), InFamous and Spider-Man aren't.

Interesting. So I guess you would not include tlou or Uncharted 4? Anything that allows you to deviate from a set path?

I personally always thought linear simply meant linear. While cinematic referred to developer driven events that are stylistically closer to film as opposed to systematic and/or player driven. To me GTAV is cinematic despite being open and non linear.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Interesting. So I guess you would not include tlou or Uncharted 4? Anything that allows you to deviate from a set path?
I haven't played Uncharted 4 or The Last of Us so I don't know, but maybe in the middle? Not really "cinematic games", but neither "sandbox" or "open world" (I think Uncharted 4 isn't fully open world, no ?).

If 1 is a fully linear game, without any choice (something like Brothers) and 10 a fully sandbox game (Minecraft ?), the first three Uncharted would probably be at 2 (or even at 1) for me, the fourth maybe at 3, Marvel's Spider-Man at 6 and InFamous: Second Son at 7.