• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
This is by the gantz guy? He must have been paid peanuts for this commission, what a weak promo art
Wrong person, Katsura was the artist for the I's and Zetman manga, and also the character designer for Tiger and Bunny.
a5d6336cf4ae09683dffc98d5add2123.jpg
b23e88f39f22f019d1d31205c7d9d5c1.jpg
bae9dc53aaf158ec87792fc8b4fbc38e.jpg
c390b6fa05c456abdf652d649daf2835.jpg

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
For modeling and posing? It's not that bad. I could dig up actual model references, many poses of that type are reasonably easy to uphold, despite how silly a few will look.

She is not a model, she is a police officer. T&A poses in heels are entirely impractical, way harder to uphold than they look actually, and also ill-conceived in establishing this character's abilities in combat.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
She is not a model, she is a police officer. T&A poses in heels are entirely impractical, way harder to uphold than they look actually, and also ill-conceived in establishing this character's abilities in combat.
Good thing I wasn't actually talking about whether or not the pose is out of character and even brought up attire issues

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
For modeling and posing? It's not that bad. I could dig up actual model references, many poses of that type are reasonably easy to uphold, despite how silly a few will look.

Main reason the pose gets flak is due to how transparently gratuitous it is to use it in promotional shots, particularly with this kind of attire - and yeah, some poses definitely take it too far (the general idea of the pose is always going to test an artist's grasp on general anatomy), this one only really falters on the leg imo.

Yes I get it's used in modeling a lot, but she is a police woman combatant.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Usually a Masakazu Katsura fan, but everything here looks poor-bad. Was he trying to ape the look of 3D models? Even the guys face looks off.

Oct 25, 2017
Jokes aside...

This art looks awful. The faces look off and the line work looks rushed

Honestly the only thing that seems well drawn are the bg, the mech and the ass.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Expected, we are talking about a guy that teaches the art of drawing butt to young up-and-coming artists. He draws what he loves, and is not afraid to tell it.
ass-class.jpg
Looks like another 1000 year old dragon
The Astral Chain cop has to have her ass out at all times because it fires bullets, it's in the lore

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? I think he looks fine, both faces
The lighting is so weird compared to his usual stuff >.< Just makes it look super strange compared to what I'm used to from him. He can do flatter, comic-y lighting:

fd56a3ca1b9bca9a433e17b87f240c771333504087_full.jpg

And way more realistic lighting:

300.jpg

But this is like some... Weird, 3D model-esque thing. Like he's copying Platinum's in-game implementation of his design rather than just drawing it?

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Except, if you have read Katsura past work you will know that he prefers small butts. Even his drawing of Bayonetta has a reduced butt when compared to the original.

You speak as if this is common knowledge or that I or others should be familiar with all the artist's work LOL

If you're going to go out of your way to put ass on display (which I don't think made sense here to be clear) it should at least be "phat".

Also, as has been said elsewhere, her whole bottom section looks a bit off.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
You speak as if this is common knowledge or that I or others should be familiar with all the artist's work LOL

If you're going to go out of your way to put ass on display (which I don't think made sense here to be clear) it should at least be "phat".
No it shouldn't
Small butts are best

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
The lighting is so weird compared to his usual stuff >.< Just makes it look super strange compared to what I'm used to from him. He can do flatter, comic-y lighting:

300.jpg

But this is like some... Weird, 3D model-esque thing. Like he's copying Platinum's in-game implementation of his design rather than just drawing it?
Oh, yes those look different yep maybe because its a videogame instead of a comic he made them closer to the models, but they still look drawn on specially on the hair

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, is this the artist who randomly walks into Akira Toriyama interviews and gets berated for using too much screentone or am I thinking of another guy?

EDIT: Yup, this is the guy.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Normally I wouldn't mind the booty but that just looks bad to me. Why can't she be allowed to wear some damn pants?

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to the game - any platinum game really - but that is poor key art imo.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017

Also, as has been said elsewhere, her whole bottom section looks a bit off.
Honestly, you don't know even need to read his manga, as it becomes very obvious by just looking at some of the manga covers. As for your second point, I disagree that small butts shouldn't be represented in promotions, and I will fight you to the death to prove my point. /s

No arguments about her anatomy, as it does looks wrong from below the waist.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
That just looks bad, regardless of the butt pose. It doesn't even look "sexy" as intended, it's just awkwardly forced here.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Art kinda reminds me of that semi realistic style you see in Seinen stuff like Gantz or Zetman.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, this is so not okay. It's like looking at a comic book cover from the 90s. I mean, it was bad enough already that the female cop just had to wear short shorts...

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
It's nice to finally see something new from the game, but uh....I'm not a huge fan of this piece of art. I don't like the colors and the female characters proportions look very off. I doubt this will be for the box art, so it's whatever. Everything in-game looks great though. Excited to see more at E3.

I mean, they're kinda focusing on the butt since the start...

Nice, better resolution than from the one shared above!

I wouldn't call a shot just framing the entire character from behind a butt shot. Though the added animation of her pants creasing as she walks is an interesting detail.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I wonder why they are still holding back on marketing for the game. It's out in August, that's 3 months away, and there are still zero details about the Japanese LE package. We know there's an artbook and a soundtrack, but no details about the actual content. We don't even know who the composer is, or the "other famous creators lined up".

I wonder why they are still holding back on marketing for the game. It's out in August, that's 3 months away, and there are still zero details about the Japanese LE package. We know there's an artbook and a soundtrack, but no details about the actual content. We don't even know who the composer is, or the "other famous creators lined up".

I expect an information dump during E3. Taura did retweet Nintendo's E3 announcement.

Is it just me, or are her legs much shorter than they should be?

Let's not get too crazy here. Once her ass gets its own subreddit, then we'll talk

I am holding you responsible if it does happen.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

I mean super Mario maker 2 just got it's marketing started and that game is coming out a month and a half away...

Astral chain will probably get E3 trailer / treehouse deep dive and then the actual marketing will start in early August after fire emblem is out ?

Xlad

Oct 19, 2018

300.jpg

Maybe it just style of the old manga/anime that he going for.
also this key art is nice.