• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From 4Gamer (translated by Nintendo Everything)

http://nintendoeverything.com/super...nt-theme-song-pauline-higher-age-rating-more/

Key Quotes

The team's objective is to let people know about Mario through the games. Koizumi also mentioned that a lot of people have been introduced to Mario from the mobile title Super Mario Run, so he thought there ought to be more chances to create such introductions.

Odyssey has places based on real-life locations, such as how New Donk City is based on New York City, and Tostarena is based on Mexico. But they didn't actually intend to base them on those areas. Instead, they first created stages with certain gameplay systems and gimmicks they wanted to implement. After this they would give a scenery theme to the stages.

When people think about desert stages, normally they would make it look Egyptian. However, director Kenta Motokura really likes Mexico, and his trips to the country left a strong impression on him, so he wanted to reflect that in the game. This resulted in Tostarena.

Koizumi also received warm responses from those in America who said New Donk City "looks like New York!" and from fans in Mexico who said, "Thanks for putting our country in the game! Please come to Mexico, you can enjoy Mexican cuisine!"

Odyssey has the biggest development staff in terms of pure numbers compared to past 3D Mario games, but it's only slightly bigger than the previous biggest (3D World). The age range of the team was also very broad, which is perhaps why they could make the game be memorable for people of all ages.

Those who were testing the game were also able to make some unexpected uses of the capture system, such as creating shortcuts. Koizumi said that Mario himself has high physical abilities, so it's easier for people to generate new solving methods other than the "correct ones" that had been assumed by game planners. If the dev team found a trick to be interesting, they might actually put it into the game's specifications.

The reason why they put Pauline in New Donk City is because they had a chain of thought like, "In the past we used to have a game taking place in a city, and Mario also appeared in it…" which pointed towards Pauline. At first they wanted to make her the princess of New Donk City, but the world setting of that city doesn't have princesses. That's why she became the mayor instead.

Looks like Sombrero Mario did have a positive reaction after all! Also, it's interesting that they made the connection with Pauline and the city...but not Daisy in the Sand Kingdom. Maybe they decided against her appearing in a predominantly Mexican kingdom?

Monogatari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I wish they would be asked about New Donk City is
Did you think about having Donkey Kong appear in 3D?

Those who were testing the game were also able to make some unexpected uses of the capture system, such as creating shortcuts. Koizumi said that Mario himself has high physical abilities, so it's easier for people to generate new solving methods other than the "correct ones" that had been assumed by game planners. If the dev team found a trick to be interesting, they might actually put it into the game's specifications.

This was particularly evident on the Koopa races.

Virtu Al

Oct 25, 2017
Italy, Rome
I especially found interesting how they first created the level layout and then made up the actual concept of the setting, like with Luncheon pretty much being the "lava pits" level made totally different and much fresher by the setting they chose.

OP
OP
memoryman3

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I especially found interesting how they first created the level layout and then made up the actual concept of the setting, like with Luncheon pretty much being the "lava pits" level made totally different and much fresher by the setting they chose.

I think that's the right way to go about making levels. Otherwise you end up with a Sonic Forces and restrict the level design just to build your fancy environments.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. We love it when our country is represented in mainstream media.

Coco is absolutely loved by my family in Mexico. Gonna take my parents to watch it in Spanish as well. Glad they brought the dub over here.

Would love to see more Mexican influence in Mario games in the future as well.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017

It's pretty much Nintendo's way of doing things. Like I can imagine the whole wedding theme came from Mario's cappy mechanic requires Bowser to also have a hat, therefore suit->wedding suit.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Sombrero Mario did have a positive reaction after all! Also, it's interesting that they made the connection with Pauline and the city...but not Daisy in the Sand Kingdom. Maybe they decided against her appearing in a predominantly Mexican kingdom?
They could have retconned Daisy into being latina. Put some diversity amongst the Women of Mario.

OP
OP
memoryman3

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They could have retconned Daisy into being latina. Put some diversity amongst the Women of Mario.

Well you will be happy to hear that Nintendo recently updated her design ever so slightly. Her tan is back!

dSmuWvt.gif

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is essentially Nintendo Game Design 101 and it's why many consider Nintendo's internal teams to be the greatest in the industry.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
The fake outrage over mario wearing a sombrero was rightfully ridiculous.

Pauline is also a perfect choice for mario kart if we get a donk city course too.

El Sabroso

Oct 25, 2017
Monterrey, MX
I hope next reprint of Mario Odyssey gets the MexiMario return to the game cover, hell would love to see a new Mariachi suit for Mario

One thing I wish they would be asked about New Donk City is
Did you think about having Donkey Kong appear in 3D?

This was particularly evident on the Koopa races.

Koopa races encourages that a lot, having online rankings for those was genius

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
When I heard about Daisy being latina, there's only one thing that I can think

tumblr_numg7mQyXy1tdqgyao3_400.gif

Also, when I played the Koopa the only thing that I could think is that could be perfect for an online play. Hope Nintendo could do something like that in the future to break all the conventions for the 3D Marios.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
On the N64 era she was tanned

Did she have more melanin in early 3D renders?

She had a deep tan. I say she was brown

iKko3cS.jpg

Well you will be happy to hear that Nintendo recently updated her design ever so slightly. Her tan is back!

dSmuWvt.gif

Where did you get this? Daisy used to be my favorite princess but Nintendo just doesn't use her enough anymore.

OP
OP
memoryman3

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's cool! Where is this from?

The new set of LINE stickers. Super Mario's Relaxing Life.

The renders seem to come from the same render engine as the new Mario Parties, Super Mario Run, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and even Mario Odyssey (minus realistic hair). Seems to me that this might be a permanent change in new HD titles, like Mario's etched hat was.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new set of LINE stickers. Super Mario's Relaxing Life.

The renders seem to come from the same render engine as the new Mario Parties, Super Mario Run, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and even Mario Odyssey (minus realistic hair). Seems to me that this might be a permanent change in new HD titles, like Mario's etched hat was.
It's probably by Marza Planet Animation, Sega's CGI studio

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
There were people complaining on twitter and reddit around E3. Backfired when turned into out that Mexicans liked being represented.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

They did the same with Splatoon on the WiiU. The game mechanics were developed first, then they chose an aesthetic that matched them.

There were people complaining on twitter and reddit around E3. Backfired when turned into out that Mexicans liked being represented.

The complaints were ridiculous regarless on the reception in Mexico.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
GASP you mean to say Mexicans and Mexico like being represented as ssomething other than gangland?! Get out of town!

Also glad they didnt go with an Egyptian theme.

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
TBH Daisy looked infinitely better with her tan, now she looks like a lifeless puppet (basing that on these pics from the thread)

OP
OP
memoryman3

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's probably by Marza Planet Animation, Sega's CGI studio

The artstyle doesn't quite look like Marza's. The eyes on Peach and Daisy look like Nintendo's in house 3D models.

Here's a piece of art by Marza.

SI_WiiU_MarioAndSonicAtTheRio2016_enGB.jpg

Notice how Mario doesn't have his hat seams, and Peach and Rosalina aren't wearing glittery jewellery.

Compare it to Nintendo's in-house 3D models.

mario-party-star-rush_4.jpg

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Glad they went with the Mayor idea, and the idea of beating objectives in unintended ways is so true, and soooo good. Cappy and Capture are 2 great mechanics.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The "Everyone is so offended/outraged" argument is a baseless accusation meant to shutdown conversation. This was a common catchphrase on GAF.

I was responding to the claim that there was outrage about the sombrero. Which, in that case, would have been faux outrage IMO, yes. Don't pretend that doesn't exist. (Agreed that it shouldn't be used to try to shut down legitimate discussion.)

You're the one who tried to shut ME down with your backseat mod "stop".

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I was responding to the claim that there was outrage about the sombrero. Which, in that case, would have been faux outrage IMO, yes. Don't pretend that doesn't exist. (Agreed that it shouldn't be used to try to shut down legitimate discussion.)

You're the one who tried to shut ME down with your backseat mod "stop".
Believe what you want to believe. But it wasn't how you pictured it.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Speaking of Daisy, I was kind of disappointed that Rosalina and her didn't make a cameo in Odyssey, alongside Pauline. It would have been fun to visit Sarasaland as a kingdom (maybe they'd finally translate it to Calico Land) and see Daisy there, and have a cameo from Rosalina on the Moon. It was neat that the star bits were the purple coins there.

FromAshesRise

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Making Pauline Mayor of New Donk City was one of the raddest things they ever did (well, that, and the name New Donk City itself). Between that and Captain Toad Treasure Tracker's role reversals, I wonder if Motokura himself is trying to affect change within the gendered tropes within the series or if it was a high level company thing (I doubt it, since Koizumi has made some weird statements about Peach over the past year or so).