• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

macindc

Oct 27, 2017

I'm a big fan of the games Mary DeMarle's worked on so this sounds like great news to me!
So far it looks like this game is in good hands.

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
www.resetera.com

Eidos Montreal's Mary DeMarle joins BioWare as Senior Narrative Director

This doesn't seem to have been picked up by the media, but yesterday she posted an update on her LinkedIn at this link. To those who don't know, she was instrumental in bringing to life the stories behind Deus Ex HR/MD and Guardians of the Galaxy. A lot of writing talent here. Pretty sad to...

While usually yes, this could count as new news, new thread.

We didn't know if MDM would be on the Mass Effect team or Dragon Age.

Oct 27, 2017
That's really good. I like the stories of both and the cohesion and character development in GotG was good. Wish we were getting a GotG sequel but this bodes well for ME

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
As someone who loves Mass Effect and the writing of the latest Deus Ex games and GotG, this is great news.

Now if only there was some guarantee that we would see this game release in less than 5 years, that'd be nice too.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
After playing GoTG, can't say I'm looking forward to Mass Effect

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
One of the best writers in one of the best series. Match made in heaven.

Man, I believe in Bioware, ME4 will be awesome.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Oh, damn. The dialogue in GOTG was so great. This makes me way more excited for ME5.

I haven't finish it, but one of he things that bothered me about Andromeda was the dialogue sounding really unnatural and stiff.

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Damn, I associate her so much with Eidos Montreal, that group of writers and designers always seemed so tight knit, I'm weirdly surprised to see her go. I loved listening to her in interviews and commentary tracks.

I'm not really into Mass Effect, so this mostly just makes me more worried about Eidos' next game, instead of being an exciting next step. I'm happy for her though. Best of luck!

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Expected, but great confirmation. I was pleasantly surprised by GotG's narrative overall, but they really did a great job with the team interactions and development, especially in light of the pressure and comparisons to the films. They did a great job of making their Guardians feel like more than just cheap copies of their film counterparts. They really stood out on their own for the most part. I actually liked quite a few of them more so than those in the films.

A definite welcome addition to the ME dev team if she can help deliver similar quality there.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
A lot of people, myself included, thought GotG game reminded them of Mass Effect. So that is indeed a interesting development. And Deus Ex did have a great narrative. I have no idea what to expect from ME4 but the more talented people involved the better its chances get.

"Senior Narrative Director"? Is this just a writer for videogames?

Maybe, but when I think of narrative I think of something different than writing. It's more like how the writing is presented, and how you structure the dialogues. Deus Ex for example had several mechanics to enhance dialogue, and Mass Effect 2 had interrupts which allowed for some fantastic moments. These are not something you just write, you need to understand the mechanics of the game.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
"Senior Narrative Director"? Is this just a writer for videogames?
I'm not sure exactly how BioWare structures their writing teams but I think the general idea is that she'll be leading the game's overall narrative with a team of writers underneath her.
www.gamesindustry.biz

How to get a job as a narrative director

Finding a job in the games industry is no easy task. Our guides can help you to find the right path to the games indust…
^some explanations about the role from actual developers lol, more useful than my random gamer 2 cents

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Finally we're gonna have a good writer helming Mass Effect since the original. This is amazing news.

Soap NickTavish

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Cautiously optimistic after Andromeda but this seems like a good grab.

I miss this universe so much...

rtRJA4b.png

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Very nice, her work on Deus Ex and Guardians of the Galaxy is great, some of the best writing in gaming of recent times.

Last edited:

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
I knew she was a writer on the Eidos Deus Ex games (which I liked), but I didn't know she was a writer on GotG (which I also liked). Good news :)

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Still need to get around to GOTG, but I did like the narrative in the Deus Ex games she worked on, so hopefully that translates over to Mass Effect.

Last edited:

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This instantly makes me way more hyped for this game. Didn't have much faith in modern Bioware's ability to craft a good story, but DeMarle's hiring restores some of that at least.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to her work on the Mass Effect franchise, she's quite the addition to the team

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Very nice, her work on Deus Ex and Guardians of the Galaxy is great, some of the best writing in gaming of recent times.

Is Mandkind Divided's story good? HR's isn't particularly good outside of the background/lore stuff. Looking at GotG feels like deus ex got the short end of the stick in terms of narrative lol. (the only bad thing I hear about MD's story is that it ends prematurely tbf)

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Loved Andromeda so I was already excited, but this puts it over the edge. GOTG was incredible.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't paid super close attention to the development but I guess the game is still a long ways away?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Is Mandkind Divided's story good? HR's isn't particularly good outside of the background/lore stuff. Looking at GotG feels like deus ex got the short end of the stick in terms of narrative lol. (the only bad thing I hear about MD's story is that it ends prematurely tbf)

It's an unfinished story so kinda hard to judge, the game was clearly cut with the actual resolution pushed to a sequel. But what we got was pretty good.

Oct 27, 2017

I'm a big fan of the games Mary DeMarle's worked on so this sounds like great news to me!
So far it looks like this game is in good hands.

In good hands, yes. But clearly absolutely nowhere in terms of progression.

It's pretty embarassing really, EA has just become a complete non-entity in gaming outside of FIFA/their generic annual sport game releases and Apex Legends. All we have of Dragon Age is a logo, all we have of Mass Effect is... I guess some concept art? Just flat out pathethic given how long it has been since their last real release (which I guess is maybe Fallen Order).

Edit - Ah OK, forgot about Battlefield series. Guess they have that as well. Still not very impressive in terms of output.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
t's pretty embarassing really, EA has just become a complete non-entity in gaming outside of FIFA/their generic annual sport game releases and Apex Legends. All we have of Dragon Age is a logo, all we have of Mass Effect is... I guess some concept art? Just flat out pathethic given how long it has been since their last real release (which I guess is maybe Fallen Order).

Lol

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Is she gonna rewrite the ending of 3? Please, I want back into this universe so bad, but I can't until we exorcise the ending of 3 from the story.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
Great hire but I was hoping she'd get to do another Deus Ex. Dunno if I want one without her now that there's actually a chance we get one. But maybe she's over it lol