• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lorcain

Oct 27, 2017
I just always found the New 3DS XL to be too damn top heavy to play for extended periods without getting wrist strain. The New 2DS XL is light enough that I was able to play it cozily for a while. It's a finger print magnet in a whole different way (finger oil, I guess), but the matte finish is nice, too.
The fingerprint smudges were driving me nuts on my 2DS XL, mostly on the back of the bottom, so I bought a soft TPU case that works well. It also feels a little better in my hands with the TPU case.

The 2DS XL has some positives over the n3DS XL: lighter, slimmer, cart and micro SD slot location, modern looking form factor, less expensive. But it also has some downgrades imo: speakers that direct sound into your palms, light weight plastic that vibrates sound through the back, I believe most (all?) of the 2DS XL's have TN screens, and no 3D.

I bounce back and forth between my 2DS XL and n3DS. I'm holding on to that black n3DS, never selling that. I can see those being worth something in the future.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I said before, those talking about they won't phase out the 3DS until it gets a lower price...the lower price is the 2ds.

There is no need to make the 3ds cheaper.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I am sad we never got this N3DS XL special edition in Europe :(

e60f5f95-d279-40cb-bf58-c757e68435c3_1.63951a2e8ef9d4a3f3c54e908e8f4b5c.jpeg

Oct 27, 2017
The fingerprint smudges were driving me nuts on my 2DS XL, mostly on the back of the bottom, so I bought a soft TPU case that works well. It also feels a little better in my hands with the TPU case.

The 2DS XL has some positives over the n3DS XL: lighter, slimmer, cart and micro SD slot location, modern looking form factor, less expensive. But it also has some downgrades imo: speakers that direct sound into your palms, light weight plastic that vibrates sound through the back, I believe most (all?) of the 2DS XL's have TN screens, and no 3D.

I bounce back and forth between my 2DS XL and n3DS. I'm holding on to that black n3DS, never selling that. I can see those being worth something in the future.
Do you have different accounts on each device?

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I agree with most of you - 3D added clarity and seemed to greatly enhance image quality to me. Anything in 2D looks like ass and is really difficult to read.

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
I wish they'd waited a few months, I was planning to get one for legacy use in the new year. I never found the 3D to be just a gimmick; text clarity has already been mentioned, and it was incredibly helpful in platformers.

leverpastej

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to buy a New 2DS XL but that speaker placement is crap.

I bought one for my daughter for christmas this year, and i have tried it when she sleeps xD, i must see that it works!

And i was worried about the speakers but its actually not a problem at all!

Its real nice, i love my switch but i still think 2ds/3ds is perfect for kids, the game library is one of the best ever imo.

Lorcain

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have different accounts on each device?
No, I have one setup with my account and digital games, and will sometimes use the other for games that save on cart and DS games. I've transferred my account back and forth between them a few times too. I've got that process down so that I can do it in <15 minutes. The only thing that slows me down is taking the back plate off the n3DS. With that said, it's a shame there isn't a universal account system that would allow us to use multiple 3DS/2DS devices at the same time...but that horse is already beaten and dead.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I think I might buy a spare 3DS XL. I got 1 3DS XL and 1 regular 3DS, but want another 3DS XL

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It look like those glassless screens 3DSs will cost a really good price on ebay in the future...

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
I use 3D always. The 2D screen is terrible and I'm sad I won't have a replacement option for my N3DS if it ever bites the dust.

Mr. RPG

Oct 25, 2017
I always have 3D turned on. It is my favorite feature of the Nintendo 3DS. It would have been amazing if the Switch had it...

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
I have always been very disappointed in the lack of 3D Classics Nintendo made themselves. They put out 6 and didn't even get to a Mario game. Pathetic.

Sega put out a good many (close to 30?), and it was a great new way to experience 2D retro games. The Pokemon Red-Gold releases not having any 3D effects just made them yet more lazy ROM dumps. Super Nintendo Classics like Super Metroid and Yoshi's Island with 3D depth would have been great ways to replay those games too, but just chucking them out on a new plastic box was more lucrative I guess.

Maybe 3D Classics will return in VR at some point.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Hasn't been in stock for a while (UK here). Tried to get a metallic black new 3DS XL and couldn't find one anywhere. Ended up going for the SNES edition instead, which when I checked a couple of weeks back was the only model along with the Samus Returns edition available at retailers in the UK. So this isn't surprising to me. Rest in peace you wonderful machine.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I honestly wish that Nintendo made an add-on to play 3DS and DS games on Switch. But knowing Nintendo, they'd make me want to rebuy all those DS and 3DS games on VC someday

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Not trying to start anything, legit curious. Are Vita's still on the market or have they been discontinued already?

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I agree with most of you - 3D added clarity and seemed to greatly enhance image quality to me. Anything in 2D looks like ass and is really difficult to read.

Yep games look way better with 3D turned on, just look at Samus Returns for example. I understand why someone would get the 2DS - it's the cheapest way to get to that library - but with the improved 3D on the newer models, I didn't find a lot of reasons to hate on the feature anymore. It was stable, worked well and was a worthwile addition for a lot of games.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
If you import from Japan, you can get one on any color you want, along with a memory card. Vita is region free so the only concern is how much you are willing to spend.
Do you have the problem then when O is confirm and X is cancel on a system level?

What about NA and EU, are they still sold in stores? Haven't looked in a long time.

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how much they save by not including the 3D screen.
A bummer that they need to include two cameras in the back on every model to maintain compatibility with launch year titles
Nothing because the New 2DS has the 3D screen, they just removed the slider.

(The OG 2DS has a 2D screen thought)

Also, if you play a game on a 2DS you are actually playing in 3D mode with the slider at minimum. This is a problem for some games like Luigi's Mansion or the Zelda remakes, as playing in 2D has a smoother framerate (Zelda) or antialiasing on (Luigi).

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have the problem then when O is confirm and X is cancel on a system level?

What about NA and EU, are they still sold in stores? Haven't looked in a long time.

EU I don't really know. NA is practically impossible to find one in retail, I have seen one or two on the odd store but the prices are so ridiculous that importing from Japan would be cheaper. Amazon has a lot of games, though.

As for your other question, I think you are correct, but I'm not sure since mine is the NA version. I have been wanting to buy a White one from Amazon Japan, but there are so many new games on other systems that I can't justify the cost haha.

War3333

Oct 27, 2017

There is no problem at all, you can set the system on any country and it will behave as should in that country.

For US and EU it's not officially discontinued but here in Italy you can't find it in shops anymore, you can find one online but usually not at MSRP (if you want a new console).

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing because the New 2DS has the 3D screen, they just removed the slider.

(The OG 2DS has a 2D screen thought)

Also, if you play a game on a 2DS you are actually playing in 3D mode with the slider at minimum. This is a problem for some games like Luigi's Mansion or the Zelda remakes, as playing in 2D has a smoother framerate (Zelda) or antialiasing on (Luigi).
Really? I thought that ALBW was 60FPS on both modes.

Deleted member 30569

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
With Switch shipments increasing quite a bit for 2018 Nintendo wants people to buy a Switch if they are looking for a "premium" handheld device instead of spending the money on a 3DS XL.

So customers already willing to spend +200€ for a system will be targeted with Switch. Everything below is 3DS/Mobile market.

Pretty good post. 100% agree.

It makes sense. Most people who would have wanted a 3DS would probably have bought one by now.

The high end device is now the Switch. It's the future.

Only reasons I'm pretty much holding on to my 3DS:
- Super Mario 3D Land is excellent, and while I prefer 3D World, the experiences are very different for me. One does not replace the other.
- Still has the definitive versions of the N64 Zelda games and Star Fox
- A Link Between Worlds is just too charming and fun, it was my introduction to the Zelda series as a whole and therefore has an incredibly high sentimental value

But at the same time, if some of these games get brought over to the Switch in some capacity, keeping the 3DS will stop making as much sense for me...

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's the source of the image in the OP? Do we know what shipments look like in other regions?

Nov 1, 2017
What a shame, I'm a huge fan of the 3D effect. I don't know how I will play Fire Emblem Switch without 3D.
I showed my girlfriend my New 3DS when I was playing through Samus returns in september and she was blown away by the 3D effect. She is not a gamer, had never heard of it and couldn't believe such a technology even exists. (She is now playing A Link Between Worlds).

Well, at least 3D had a good run and found some good use in quite a few games. I heard that the Mario & Luigi remake doesn't support 3D. Would make sense if they stop making games with 3D completely.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I bought one for my daughter for christmas this year, and i have tried it when she sleeps xD, i must see that it works!

And i was worried about the speakers but its actually not a problem at all!

Its real nice, i love my switch but i still think 2ds/3ds is perfect for kids, the game library is one of the best ever imo.
The speaker placement is a huge problem for someone like me that rests the device on a pillow in bed when I play. If you hold it in your hands though, the placement is pretty good as your hands kinda amplify the sound.

Oct 27, 2017
I will never understand some of the decisions Nintendo makes with their products. The regular "New" 3DS w/faceplates could have been huge. It's pixel perfect, has the ability to alter it's look with the faceplates, small enough to fit in pockets, nub, improved 3D tracking, better performance, and basically everything the original vision of 3D was but perfected. And they cancel it after barely offering it en masse to all retailers. There could have been create your own faceplates, hundreds of different official faceplates or so many potential exclusive designer faceplates (silver, gold, platinum, made by famous artists or game developers) and instead they barely even tried.

Then they only come out with Red, Black and Galaxy styles (besides the few special editions) despite literally having every color of the rainbow at their disposal. The 2DS XL makes ZERO sense. If you don't want to use 3D just put the slider down. If you like the look of it than just make a 3DS XL in that style. It's all so confusing. And their pricing is laughably too expensive. I just want them to go away so their next iteration of a handheld only can be made.

I'd love for a smaller form factor Switch but with no joy cons, 720p OLED screen and great 3D. Maybe they'll announce one at E3 for sale Holiday 2018. I'll be all over it.

amokk0

Oct 27, 2017
Probably for the best - the 3DS has astonishingly terrible, gimmicky 3D. It adds nothing to the games. Last time I turned the 3D slider up was to see if it still worked.

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Alright, this is some bullshit.

3D mode is worth it just for the resolution and clarity alone. Reading text in games such as Phoenix Wright Trilogy in 2D mode is painful. 3D wasn't just about the frills, it makes a substantial difference in visuals.

I wish they'd waited a few months, I was planning to get one for legacy use in the new year. I never found the 3D to be just a gimmick; text clarity has already been mentioned, and it was incredibly helpful in platformers.
FYI, regular 2DS has clarity, AFAIK.
So, the 2DS will become the new "budget" alternative for the Switch? It seems obvious that other regions will follow suit.

It's contingent on when Pokemon Switch hits. It it does indeed make Holiday 2018, that's the 3DS line's death knell.
You rightly mention the 2DS being the budget console, and then talk about death knells?

Last edited:

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
So, the 2DS will become the new "budget" alternative for the Switch? It seems obvious that other regions will follow suit.

Nah. I think 3DS has one holiday left in it. I think they will discontinue the 3DS in January 2019.

It's contingent on when Pokemon Switch hits. It it does indeed make Holiday 2018, that's the 3DS line's death knell.