• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
Sub 120 year old CEO in a japanese company? I'm impressed. Hopefully he can push to bring Nintendo online services to the 21st century

If by "21st century" you mean "charging for what should be a basic, free service" then yes. Coming soon.

Make m rated games then

Ahhh yes, M rated games: the quality bastion of all young male teenage gamers. What's the functional difference between a T rated game with less swearing and blood and an M rated game with more?

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Classic Nintendo thinking and yes he is right, Nintendo has no reason to exist if they can't be different. Im looking forward to hearing from him more in business calls and interviews.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Golf Story is great. I respect that he's not solely relying on "geniuses" because that's often a way to be insular. However, the "Nintendo needs to focus on being different" can also lead to an insular mentality. A bunch of the worst decisions the company has made in the last decade+ have been instances of a mentality like that. It's sometimes worked for them, sometimes not. I think being different is fine, but being different just for the sake of it can be a trap. Hopefully he will lead the company to an even better place. The mentality of re-examining the reliance on geniuses sounds like a good place to start.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this means "Create the best games in the industry like Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey" and not "forced gimmicks that make us different just for the sake of being different"

They are on the right track with the Switch, no need to change what's working.

Where do I sign?

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
...the future president of a japanese company said he liked a non japanese indie game?

consider my mind blown

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
They're doing just fine being so behind the curve though.

All I want are cloud saves and a good browser so that I can reference stuff on the system while I play, as opposed to looking at my phone/tablet. Needing a handheld for my handheld is kind of silly. :)

Industry standard is allowing saves to be backed up to local media and not locking the feature behind a paywall.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
46 seems really young for the position. I was worried looking at his credentials from Nintendo's release, but perhaps that's unfounded seeing as he seems to be saying the right things about what makes Nintendo Nintendo. Will be interesting to see how he steers the company down the road.

Waggle, gimmicks and more 3D of course
Iwata was 42 when he became president

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'd love it "experiences only we can provide" meant VC, but I really doubt it...
Dear Nintendo...only you can provide GameCube games on Switch Virtual Console. Please don't disappoint
We just had a thread on SNES Classic selling like almost 6 million. I think VC is dead now. Lots of big names in the Nintendo community saying the same thing too. Sad day, as a fan of VC. :(

Livia

Banned
Feb 9, 2018
Bergen
Hope he does a good job going forward. Not just with Switch, but beyond. And why is everyone so shocked that a CEO is this young? Isnt Phil Spencer in his 40s also?

Boney

Oct 28, 2017
Santiago
Would've preferred that not a finance guy would've gotten the job but he seems like an insightful guy that is well immersed in the industry.

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I think they do. They just want to play Nintendo games with top level graphics and performance.

I think many just don't realize that type of box wouldn't sell (just like the GameCube didn't). There's not a huge market of people who are going to pay $400-500 for a top level console who's exclusives are primarily family friendly games with cartoon art styles. Most in that market want things like Uncharted, God of War, Halo, Gears of War, Forza, GT showing off the console with realistic graphics etc.

As much as I'd like a game like BOTW on good hardware with better resolution, framerate, no pop in etc., I accept it just is what it is. Nintendo has to keep costs down to appeal to the parent market, the portable gamer market and as a cheaper secondary platform to people like me that main other consoles.

Even if they had a top power console, had games like GTA, CoD, Fifa etc. day and date with the others it wouldn't become many core gamers main platform. Simple reason is that people that like the third party western AAAs are going to be more drawn to exclusives like Uncharted, God of War, Halo, Gears, Forza etc. than Mario, Zelda and Pokemon.

Nintendo has their market (their fans, kids/parents, portable gamers) and their place as the secondary platform that offers something different to core gamers. Doing something different is key to those markets, and keeping prices down is key to them as well.
Well, you answered yourself in my stead. Can't disagree.

Those that want Nintendo to go down the path of MS/Sony don't have the immediate realization of how it would pan out in the end.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love it "experiences only we can provide" meant VC, but I really doubt it...
We just had a thread on SNES Classic selling like almost 6 million. I think VC is dead now. Lots of big names in the Nintendo community saying the same thing too. Sad day, as a fan of VC. :(

Who is saying that?

I seriously doubt VC is dead. Let's at least wait until we hear the online service details before considering it.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
This guy spent one third of his tenure at Nintendo in Germany, so I imagine (hope) he partly has a Western view on gaming.
Nintendo to start developing simulators confirmed.

yZmOP.jpg

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That isn't a strong point when we consider the fact that a hypothetical powerful "Nintendo Box" would probably still have a subpar online service, expensive first party (and then because of that influence third party) games, expensive accessories, and likely still fewer third party games because of a lack of relationships.

When people say they want a powerful Nintendo home console they aren't dreaming of what creative ways Nintendo can use that power, they fantasize about a device that is basically a PlayStation with a Nintendo label and Nintendo games.

It isn't just console power that prevents that dream, it's the whole culture of the company. It's better they are allowed to go their own way rather than try and chase the same gamers the other consoles chase. They really tried hard to do that with the Wii U and failed so completely that people don't even give them credit for trying today. That tells you why it's a bad idea for them to try again.

You're making a flawed narrative here. More expensive games can be accounted to the media chosen for Switch. Cartdriges are more expensive but we'll never know what media format Nintendo will use for Switch's successor, henceforth, your claim is an assumption.

What "expensive accessory" are you talking about? Sony and MS also has accessories for their systems as all, it's not like Nintendo is an outlier here. Nintendo's online infrastructure will have a significant upgrade from now on and, even being subpar at the moment, didn't alienated the market or the devs to ignore it like before. As for third-party support, it's becoming better and better as many big AAA western and japanese are know seriously supporting it or looking at it. Devs like Bethesda, in the last years, avoided Nintendo consoles at all costs, we can see now a complete change of tides. Third-parties don't have now the same "lol Nintendo" attitude from before. Some people seems to be still stuck with Wii/Wii U days scenario and can't realize that times have changed.

Some people also use the flawed rethoric about Nintendo is going to make "another PS4/XBO" if they follow this direction. This is false. They can rely on their succesful unique features strategies while supportive of hardware power. This will allow a better reach of third-party support and won't restrict it's library and ecosystem to selective genres, like what happened with Wii.

Wii U wasn't by no means relying on power, as the system was berely different from PS3/360 when it came out. They tried to rely on the GamePad as a unique feature and selling point like they tried with Wii's motion controller. But that failed.

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
Okay I already love him and I'm very relieved after reading the quote from the title.

takriel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as he tells the Zelda team to improve upon the BotW formula and release a sequel soon we good.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Golf Story is great. I respect that he's not solely relying on "geniuses" because that's often a way to be insular. However, the "Nintendo needs to focus on being different" can also lead to an insular mentality. A bunch of the worst decisions the company has made in the last decade+ have been instances of a mentality like that. It's sometimes worked for them, sometimes not. I think being different is fine, but being different just for the sake of it can be a trap. Hopefully he will lead the company to an even better place. The mentality of re-examining the reliance on geniuses sounds like a good place to start.
He said different not stupid. Its not stupid to be different. A lot of you have a one track mind

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
Is that the case on competing consoles?

Yup. I upgrade my PS4 hard drive from the stock 500GB to a 2TB. All I had to do was run a system backup on the old drive and I also copie my saves there individually as well. Then once I installed the new HDD, I just initialized the system and restored the backup and everything was as it was. Easy peasy.

KnightimeX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully we'll get at least a fully loaded baked potato with their next hardware.
Expectations are near rock bottom levels.
Don't want to get worked up over nothing.

Their next invention might be carpet or something.

Deleted member 11018

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they bump up the quality of their mahjong sets, they are lacking... colours are off and the feel is less than stellar.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I find it hard to disagree with that mindset, even if I haven't been in love with a lot of Nintendo's recent output aside from Odyssey. They have an identity, for better or for worse, and their best path forward is to stick to what they know and what they're good at, and it would be foolish of them to try to replicate what everyone else is doing when they're already plenty successful doing what they're doing.

Sero-Kyle

Oct 27, 2017
Labo isn't a gimmick and isn't for casuals. Grow up. It's for kids

I don't know why you are being passive agressive. Labo is not focused on core gamers asfaik, you can clearly see it by a lot of comments about it in forums and such. Kids are not core gamers, they may or may not become.

It's hard to debate with some Nintendo fans, even though I'm one aswell. I didn't even criticize Nintendo or Labo, I just stated that I fear they may not develop new "adult" (like you would say) games.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
The more I hear about Furukawa, the more I like him. The fact that he's a passionate gamer really helps. Focusing on what "Nintendo can only provide" has both worked and failed for them in the past though, so we'll have to wait and see.
I mean, what he is supposed to say "we are changing the whole philosophy of our company right now that we have very successful products"
Like or not Nintendo lives by being different

butman

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nothing new in the horizon.

Let happen Chrono Trigger or FF VI remake for god sake!

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I just got some hope when I heard about a new CEO.
New CEO won't magically mean throwing your successful new hotness away for a gamble in the traditional console market.unless he wants to get in trouble :O

Plus i have to say, Switch might be an underpowered home console but its a damn fine handheld, and modern HD games look pretty nice anyways, its a nice jump from Wii U (wich was a big jump from 3DS/Wii)