• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
No. No. No. No. Enough. I had enough of 2D platformers. Let the past go, Nintendo. Embrace 3D. You give it to your best two franchises, why deny the others? I desperately need my 3D Kirby and DK.

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018
A new CEO isn't going to change that. Nintendo has a very stern and deeply rooted creative ethos instilled by greats like Yamauchi and Iwata. Their entire corporate motto literally translates as "Create Something Unique". Getting rid of that completely is not going to be easy. It may even be impossible.

I mean, what he is supposed to say "we are changing the whole philosophy of our company right now that we have very successful products"
Like or not Nintendo lives by being different

Exactly.

It's even framed in the wall of a conference room at the Headquarters:

独創 = Dokusou = Creating Something Unique

https://youtu.be/9AkPdAWfFjI?t=33s

KHZEcaQ.jpg

g46dD3q.jpg

InteractiveSoftwareUser

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're just letting go of that dream now?
Took the words right out of my mouth.

The problem is that those strengths haven't always worked when looking over the grand scheme of the industry, mainly because what "Nintendo can provide" isn't always what gamers want. It failed with the GameCube and its lack of online play. It worked with the Wii and motion controls and the DS touch screen. It failed again with the 3DS's 3D and the Wii U gamepad.

I'm not saying they shouldn't do what they do best, which is innovate and supply incredible games, but at least gauge your audience before you make the jump. Labo will be a big test of this.
I see Gamecube as a testament to the risks when Nintendo doesn't differentiate themselves enough from the competitions offerings. The only hardware differences as far as I can recall were a strange controller that offered similar functionality to the PS2 and XBOX, mini-DVDs for games and handle on the back of the console.

I agree with the rest of your post.

Anyway, this new CEO seems to get where Nintendo's strength lie. I mean it's fairly obvious IMO but still good to hear. What only Nintendo can provide is exactly what I want them to offer us. They're a very exciting and unpredictable company and I hope they stay that way forever.

Sometimes I wonder whether I would have been stanning for the Virtual Boy had I owned one back in the day as well.... Never played on one but perhaps it was actually great and unfairly maligned by gleeful haters like the Wii U (probably not huh).

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. No. No. No. Enough. I had enough of 2D platformers. Let the past go, Nintendo. Embrace 3D. You give it to your best two franchises, why deny the others? I desperately need my 3D Kirby and DK.

Because we know that's the exact thing he's talking about? He may want to open up the 2D platformers. Also 2D platformers is Nintendo's blood.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Ahhh yes, M rated games: the quality bastion of all young male teenage gamers. What's the functional difference between a T rated game with less swearing and blood and an M rated game with more?
All the blood and gore and swearing makes it easier to indulge in your testosterone-loaded manchild fantasies, don'cha know?
You serious? Any thread about a new Nintendo console. All you hear is I wish they would give a normal controller and more power aka clone of ps/xbox.
I suspect it's the same folks who keep insisting Nintendo should go third party and port their IPs to another (i.e., their) console.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I love this company, and I think Furukawa has a bright(er) future here. I told my co-workers that I'm withholding judgment until I see him introduce or host a Nintendo Direct, but really, I already have a great feeling about him.

Last edited:

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Is this the guy to convince NCL to stop being dicks to content creators?

Probably not

Damian Mahadevan

User banned for use of alt account
Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Does this mean uniquely Nintendo only titles and let third parties make the othre games on the platform?

Oct 25, 2017
They're sending all the right signals. The real test, of course, is many years away, with whatever plan there is moving forward as the Switch dies down.

Still want my Iwata QoL sleep monitor, though.

I'm relieved that you specifically are not in charge.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love this company, and I think Furukawa has a even bright(er) future here. I told my co-workers that I'm withholding judgment until I see him introduce or host a Nintendo Direct, but really, I already have a great feeling about him.
I hope he has a personality similar to Iwata. It doesn't have to be like 100% Iwata, but even half would be great because if he doesn't I don't think we'll see him in Nintendo Directs.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope he has a personality similar to Iwata. It doesn't have to be like 100% Iwata, but even half would be great because if he doesn't I don't think we'll see him in Nintendo Directs.

Moreover, right now with Koizumi they have a formula and personality that works (and one that was conceived with Furukawa's guidance from marketing, from what we're hearing). It's entirely possible that he shows up for an introductory address at a digital presentation like E3 before stepping back. Not everybody can be the kind of front-facing persona that Iwata was, a "character" established enough that we could get something out of watching him fight Reggie.

One of the main things (visible on our end) that seemed difficult to replace with Iwata was Iwata Asks, since he had the unique combination of access and professional experience to talk to internal developers as developers. I'd like to see a form of public documentation like that revived, especially as Nintendo is so enclosed from outside access.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Because we know that's the exact thing he's talking about? He may want to open up the 2D platformers. Also 2D platformers is Nintendo's blood.

I know he didn't specifically mean that but it was the first thing come to my mind when I read his quote. Also I'm surprised that I'm alone on this. Yes, Nintendo is excellent when it comes to 2d platformers but today indies are slowly reaching Nintendo. I don't know about others, but indies give me my required dose of 2D platformers. Nintendo should focus on stuff indies can't do, specifically full 3D games. 2D platformers might be Nintendo's blood, but so are 3D platformers, Odyssey is a living proof of that. I fail to understand why don't we get more of this and Switch's first half of the year has three first party 2D platformers.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
He's saying the right things. I look forward to to seeing what he helps bring to us and how he leads Nintendo.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I said it in the other thread about Furukawa's appointment, but I just want to go on record: It sounds like this guy understands Nintendo. I'm optimistic about him for sure.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Cloud saves are behind a paywall, backing up on USB drives is not.

Yup. I upgrade my PS4 hard drive from the stock 500GB to a 2TB. All I had to do was run a system backup on the old drive and I also copie my saves there individually as well. Then once I installed the new HDD, I just initialized the system and restored the backup and everything was as it was. Easy peasy.
Opposite on XB1 though, right? Free cloud saves, but you can't freely copy the saves off your system... or at least that's how I understand it. Maybe that's changed. Either way, better than what Nintendo has atm.

Ulairi

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know why you are being passive agressive. Labo is not focused on core gamers asfaik, you can clearly see it by a lot of comments about it in forums and such. Kids are not core gamers, they may or may not become.

It's hard to debate with some Nintendo fans, even though I'm one aswell. I didn't even criticize Nintendo or Labo, I just stated that I fear they may not develop new "adult" (like you would say) games.

Kids are absolutely core gamers. Only perpetual adolescents think that core gamers are 18-34 olds. Children are core gamers. They may not stay core gamers but they are core gamers. Just because Sony and Microsoft have written off children from their platforms doesn't mean that kids aren't core games.

You need to get over yourself.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kids are absolutely core gamers. Only perpetual adolescents think that core gamers are 18-34 olds. Children are core gamers. They may not stay core gamers but they are core gamers. Just because Sony and Microsoft have written off children from their platforms doesn't mean that kids aren't core games.

You need to get over yourself.
With all due respect my good sir, surely there are no children playing games that I am playing.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
Opposite on XB1 though, right? Free cloud saves, but you can't freely copy the saves off your system... or at least that's how I understand it. Maybe that's changed. Either way, better than what Nintendo has atm.

Not sure. I don't have Xbox, just PS4 and Switch. Though I think I heard XB1 allows it too. But I could be wrong.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
There needs to be both. Super Mario Odyssey and Nintendo Labo can co-exist on the same platform.

Im all up for Labo, it's a big weird thing, but i meant like, it's not that much of a risk, is it? Labo is being launched at at time where the Switch has already secured the area, even if Labo fails horribly, it will not make a dent on the switch's success.

What i mean is, im hoping they don't go on a directions where they risk it all in a gimmick, Labo is not an "all in" risk, if labo fails nintendo will shrug off the losses and move on.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
46 seems really young for the position. I was worried looking at his credentials from Nintendo's release, but perhaps that's unfounded seeing as he seems to be saying the right things about what makes Nintendo Nintendo. Will be interesting to see how he steers the company down the road.

Waggle, gimmicks and more 3D of course

FWIW, Iwata was in his early 40's when he became President, so that may alleviate your concern a bit.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
Most of what I'm reading here so far actually sounds pretty great. In terms of what I'm still unsure of, I'll give him time to prove what he means by it instead of instantly jumping to conclusions. Considering Nintendo creativity made Splatoon, I'm all up for hanging on to that. Honestly as good of a job as Kimishima has done, I always felt he didn't exactly have a resume that meshed well with the position he ended up in. Too business oriented for how the company works. It seems he agreed.

That said, considering it seems like a response to the thread isn't complete without either being worried, expressing derision, or asking for a new game from some franchise or other, then with those choices in mind. . .

Well only Nintendo can greenlight a new Kid Icarus.

Get the Samurai.

tumblr_p7rtz21GDV1vl86ajo1_400.gif

*Underworld theme blares on airhorns*

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I didn't realize Nintendo has a new CEO? Looks like I missed this news. I guess some people on this forum were right after all. Kimishima was more of an "interim" president then.

Hopefully this new guy will be the right person for the job. Very interesting news.

Last edited:

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
With all these talks about Sony and MS being 'mainstream', it's a bit funny because Nintendo is on track to sell 100M units themselves. Would they still be considered 'niche' if they are able to do that? They will essentially have half the market then.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I actually think this means we'll see more out of the box ideas like Nintendo Labo, rather than any specific game.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
One thing NIntendo had done well that the others did not have exactly was an activity log.. so um could we get the 3DS one for Switch?

Otherwise.. while I understand what he is saying I hope third party AAA games continue to come to the Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
*hears Distant screams of joy*
Oh, the boys in Brisbane at Sidebar games must have woken up, I can hear them from Perth! :)

Oct 27, 2017
I know Kimishima was always a temporary president, but man is it weird seeing so many presidential changes in the last few years compared to what we're used to with Nintendo.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully he means the games they can provide and not gimmicks. I would hate it if it's possible to outgrow Nintendo.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Is Nintendo having its investors / press Q&A / conference right now? Or... soon, at least? I came here looking for a thread and don't see anything.