• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Provide stuff only Nintendo can provide may alarm some but it doesn't necessarily need to. BoTW, Odyssey, Splatoon 2, etc... are all software that only Nintendo can provide. After setting records in several countries I expect they realize the importance of capturing that audience while also trying to expand to new audiences via things like Labo.

Even the hardware they are currently providing is basically something that only Nintendo can provide. A hybrid device like Switch isn't something that either MS or Sony will be running to try anytime soon. They mostly don't have the retro IP's to offer an NES/SNES classic (I believe Sony could do a PS1 classic though).

I know some will look at it and interpret it as meaning we will be getting Wii Fit, Wii Music, Labo, etc... and not core Nintendo titles so just wanted to point out that this is basically what they are already doing.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
There goes my dream for a powerful traditional console.
I'm getting mixed messages here - so is Nintendo hoping to provide unique experiences only they can provideor hoping to just produce a suped up version of the Famicom, which I've seen other companies already provide. Nintendo needs to make up their mind.

Thebeast!

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Why is it that the switch doesnt have save transfer. The playstation vita does more and came out in 2011 what a disappointment

Ulairi

Oct 30, 2017
That is also what I think about it. While it's important for Nintendo to have such projects, they're risk and don't have any appel to me.

How old are you?

Nintendo makes games for everyone. Some are going to be explicitly for children. Nintendo is a family console and they need contented for the entire famil: from mom & dad, to kid, tweens, and teens.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Rip all the people who just want Nintendo to make another PS4/Xbox One

Maybe people should of bought the GameCube more.

And it's funny, Nintendo making a really powerful system wouldn't go against what Nintendo does lol.

Reggie said if Nintendo needed to release a system that focused on power, they could. Doesn't mean they will, just that they could.

Last edited:

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Otaku (おたく/オタク) is a Japanese term for people with obsessive interests, commonly the anime and manga fandom.

Also includes computer/game interests in some definitions.

1. in Japan) a young person who is obsessed with computers or particular aspects of popular culture to the detriment of their social skills.
This describes me to a T.

*Hugs dakimakura*

JustSomeone

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: System Wars
But they are already focusing on selling overpriced hardware with useless gimmicks

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Mobile games are fine, as long as they aren't a point of focus for Nintendo. Keep Switch the priority and everything will be fine.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Those people don't know what they want.

Oh I think they do. They just want to play Nintendo games with top level graphics and performance.

I think many just don't realize that type of box wouldn't sell (just like the GameCube didn't). There's not a huge market of people who are going to pay $400-500 for a top level console who's exclusives are primarily family friendly games with cartoon art styles. Most in that market want things like Uncharted, God of War, Halo, Gears of War, Forza, GT showing off the console with realistic graphics etc.

As much as I'd like a game like BOTW on good hardware with better resolution, framerate, no pop in etc., I accept it just is what it is. Nintendo has to keep costs down to appeal to the parent market, the portable gamer market and as a cheaper secondary platform to people like me that main other consoles.

Even if they had a top power console, had games like GTA, CoD, Fifa etc. day and date with the others it wouldn't become many core gamers main platform. Simple reason is that people that like the third party western AAAs are going to be more drawn to exclusives like Uncharted, God of War, Halo, Gears, Forza etc. than Mario, Zelda and Pokemon.

Nintendo has their market (their fans, kids/parents, portable gamers) and their place as the secondary platform that offers something different to core gamers. Doing something different is key to those markets, and keeping prices down is key to them as well.

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018
Hmm interesting about him trying to build up the mobile business more. I'm guessing more aggressive monetization in Nintendo's mobile games and more of them.

I'm liking Furukawa so far. The only thing I am worried about is placing too much important on mobile. Building a well run online infrastructure is far more important than mobile in my opinion.

This is not new, making mobile one of the pillars of Nintendo's business was the idea since the beginning.

Iwata was already talking about it back in 2015:

We will strive to expand this business into global markets at a steady pace so that eventually we will entertain hundreds of millions of people all around the world. We are aiming to make this one of the pillars of Nintendo's revenue structure.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/events/150508/03.html

Last edited:

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to see Kimishima go; he was a real businessman's businessman and seemed to be doing a damn good job. Good luck Furukawa-san!

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
What might be a useless gimmick to you is an absolute revelation to me (and apparently 17 million others).

Couldn't agree more. The convenience of the Switch is a game changer for millions of gamers and shouldn't be referred to as a gimmick.

I love my PS4 and despite the excellent library I find it harder and harder to play. It's difficult for me to be tied to a TV for long stretches of time so the Switch is perfect for me at this point in time in my life.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When was the last time a 3D platformer was half as good as Mario? Let alone half as successful.
This is a very opinionated thing, but I'd argue A Hat in Time evoked similar concepts, and proves the team could make a very similar game to what Odyssey became. And that's just an indie studio. Odyssey is a good game, but let's not act as if it's some revolution to the 3D Platforming genre.

DanteRavenkin

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Well I wish all the best to Furukawa and the future of Nintendo. I look forward to seeing how the company changes and grows under his leadership. He's 46, right? Seems young to me, but how old was Iwata when he took the reins?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt every single person who bought it thinks it's an "absolute revelation". Do you really believe every single Switch owner thinks like you?

I guess not 17 million others, but I'm sure many millions of others. Think about how much the Wii U sold in its first 13 months. No more than 5-6M, right? So I'd say it's fair to estimate that at least 10M people value the convenience and portability of the Switch.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those dreams were realized in the GameCube days, and the majority of the target audience didn't buy in the offering.

This is a faulty perception that many people has about the GameCube and used it as a set point to say Nintendo shouldn't invest more in hardware power but it's bullshit, actually a defeatist logic. GCN had many issues that made it an unappealing machine such as bad hardware design choice (purple box design), bad controller design with missing buttons, insufficient media storage space (Mini DVDs 1.8 GBs vs. PS2/OG XB' 9.6 GB Dual Layer DVD), no online and multimedia capabilities, etc. All these things alienated the mainstream audience away from it, not because they "refused to buy a strong Nintendo hardware. Nintendo can compete head on against Sony/MS if they want. This excuse about they have to be different because "they can't compete" it's unrealistic and supported mostly by apologists, defeatists and even detractors.

Innovative hardware and software is what Nintendo does best. They can't compete with Sony and Microsoft if they go mainstream. So the decision is true imo.

No. Nintendo does can compete and dominate against Sony/MS. Both this gen, with Switch, and Wii days proves Nintendo can outsell both. They might use and rely on unique features to differentiate themselves from them? Of course, not only they should as they do this greatly, but that doesn't meab they aren't competing against Sony/MS. Anyone believing Nintendo isn't competing against Sony/MS, whatever their direction is, is out of touch with the market.

Last edited:

Yavga

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
I love Nintendo mainly for the reason that it manages to give me a new kind of experience every generation, those experiences sometimes wear off after a few uses but other times they're a source for great memories.

I don't mind Nintendo staying true to the Nintendo way at all, at age 27 and several empty wallets later I am still happy to say that they manage to deliver something new and interesting and kept me enthousiastic and gave me something to look out for for all these years to date.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea Kimishima was about to step down. Good luck to you Furukawa! May you bring fortune to Nintendo.

Deleted member 5159

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Console warring
90% of the people who would be interested in a powerful nintendo console are ps4/xbone gamers with an inferiority complex cause "how can such a weak sauce console outsell my dear beloved black big ass set up box"

that rage drives them to internet forums like this, where they distill crap all the time.

Nintendo needs to be inovative and bold, as true artists and creators do

art > tech

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Let's hope things go smoothly for him and Nintendo.

Also, great shout out to Golf Story. Must be pretty awesome for such a small studio to get that from the President of Nintendo.