• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
steam-remote-play-800x507.png

EGeOHseXoAQGYFF
Basically, this is like Parsec, but officially developed and integrated for Steam. Planned for October 21.

While most co-op/multiplayer games are online anyway nowadays, lots of games (old and new) would benefit from this, including Cuphead, Rayman, and even Tales of games. This will also help smaller indie devs to implement co-op/multiplayer without having to integrate online to their games.

Update: Ars Technica article.
On a more technical level, the host's computer renders the game in question while also shouldering two other burdens: it must stream its game video to other participants, and it must juggle all incoming buttons and commands from other players. Valve's email promises that this will support a 1080p video signal sent to other players at a 60 frames-per-second refresh, though all players must have at least a 10Mbps connection for "a successful low-latency connection."

Last edited:

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is this streaming? How is this implemented into every game with local multiplayer?

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
If they get it as low a latency as Parsec, it may be the new standard for Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 online play/all the SNK Steam ports

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Is this streaming? How is this implemented into every game with local multiplayer?
On PS4, you basically just stream your PS4 to the other person and the other person is treated as if they just connected a controller. So I assume it'll work in a similar way. So not really required for the games to implement support, it kinda just tricks the system for local co-op.

sauce

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's streaming through remote play. All games with local multiplayer are tagged as such on the steam store, so they're probably just grabbing the games from that. It's most likely an API just like their remote play touch controls they implemented earlier

Deleted member 3888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nvidia already has this I think but I never tried it, not to mention I stopped installing their client. Steam will probably make it easier for me to try with friends.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
That's perfect timing as I just finished categorizing my library, with offline co-op being one prominent category.

Burning Justice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Been using Parsec for a while, but I'm glad to see Steam adding the feature as well. It really is a great feature.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Parse is great but I'll welcome this too. I can play Overcooked with my girlfriend now

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): trolling
bUt VaLvE dOeSn'T dO aNyThInG tThEy'Re JuSt A sToReFrOnT!!!!!11!!!!

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I really wonder how well this will work. Awesome if it's flawless!

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Now this is what I'm talking about. I feel like all my PC party / co op games are better purchases now.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
See people for features like this I stuck with steam because any game I buy is automatically enabled with these features once its in my Steam library.

Xclash

Oct 25, 2017
See people for features like this I stuck with steam because any game I buy is automatically enabled with these features once its in my Steam library.

Indeed but the people that you are talking to aren't going to see this thread or even bother clicking on it. They will just downplay it in another thread.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
This makes me very happy. I use Parsec (and used to use Game Stream), but they both come with their issues and annoyances. Remote Play built right into Steam would probably solve every problem I have with those programs.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
This really is a logical extension of the remote play feature. If remote play involves just sending the video to a client and receiving input, then why can't it just send it to multiple clients and receive multiple inputs? This will really breathe life into some local multiplayer only games.

Now I just need the reverse; get to it, Valve!

What would the reverse be?

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
While most co-op/multiplayer games are online anyway nowadays ...
As someone who was looking for new coop games to play with a friend over summer, I actually would highly disagree with this. It's actually really surprising how many coop games only have local coop on Steam. Even recently released stuff like River City Girls, where the developer has even previously released games with online coop.

For me if this actually works well this could legit be one of the best features Steam has added in a looong time. There have been so many cool looking coop games I've been interested in playing with a friend but unable to since he's in another state.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what the net code is like. Would be kind of funny if using this to do local versus ends up being better for some fighters than the actual online multiplayer

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
That's neat. I wish they would just take the inputs from each player instead of a whole video stream. Kaillera did it fifteen years ago with emulation, it could be done and save some bandwidth

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
That's neat. I wish they would just take the inputs from each player instead of a whole video stream. Kaillera did it fifteen years ago with emulation, it could be done and save some bandwidth
That's not technologically feasible without spinning up an entire virtual machine with clock-cycle specific control (i.e full CPU emulation) to run the game in. Kaillera could do it for emulators because the emulator itself could be controlled by Kaillera, i.e how many frames it runs and when, and any other operating environments such as system time controlling deterministic behaviours like random seed generation.
You can't do that directly with an independent program because that program itself has direct access to behaviours such as the system clock, and also indirect behaviours that are even more nuanced such as delta time framerate compensation for physics engines which introduces non-deterministic results. And that's with me trying to simplify the problem, it's a very deep rabbit hole from here on.