• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
That's not technologically feasible without spinning up an entire virtual machine with clock-cycle specific control (i.e full CPU emulation) to run the game in. Kaillera could do it for emulators because the emulator itself could be controlled by Kaillera, i.e how many frames it runs and when, and any other operating environments such as system time controlling deterministic behaviours like random seed generation.
You can't do that directly with an independent program because that program itself has direct access to behaviours such as the system clock, and also indirect behaviours that are even more nuanced such as delta time framerate compensation for physics engines which introduces non-deterministic results. And that's with me trying to simplify the problem, it's a very deep rabbit hole from here on.
Yeah, I guess they chose this way as the more easily achievable... Can't wait to try it!

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I would prefer them granting temporary ownership of the game to second player and then somehow streaming inputs only or something like that. But I guess that is too complicated.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Will this work.with non steam games added to the client? I got a couple of gog games that have local coop for one thing.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
This is glorious. So theoretically, if I own Mortal Kombat 11, I could play with my friend who has a laptop but doesn't have the game?

Last edited:

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I hope this is a stepping stone to Steam finally supporting concurrent logins within a single instance. It's utterly ridiculous that 2020 is around the corner and Steamworks developers still have no way to implement proper, console-like split-screen (i.e. where each player is also a user and can earn achievements, carry their character and/or world progress over to their own system, etc.).

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
JaseC
If this means 2 pcs orss laptops can log into the same steam account without issue, ala ps3 and ps4 that would be fantastic. As i plan on connexting my current laptop to my hdtv once i get a new set up next year.

kimbaka

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to try this with Cuphead but I'm not sure how the lag would be in a challenging game where timing and precision are key.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Reminder that retroarch is planned for a steam release. Will be VERY interesting for that to happen and apply it with this new feature

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I hope this is a stepping stone to Steam finally supporting concurrent logins within a single instance. It's utterly ridiculous that 2020 is around the corner and Steamworks developers still have no way to implement proper, console-like split-screen (i.e. where each player is also a user and can earn achievements, carry their character and/or world progress over to their own system, etc.).
Yeah, this has been bugging me too. I used to play MMOs together with my wife using ASTER. It works fine for non-Steam games (FFXIV, Guild Wars 2, etc), but on Steam it's just not possible and I hate it. I tried using stuff like Sandboxie but it's too much for me to tinker.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
will this work with river city girls? that would be crazy
what about emulated games now that retroarch is on steam?

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds great.

My internet won't be able to cope, but I've got so many games that could use it. When I have better internet this will be great, as long as the latency is not too bad

Last edited:

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I've used Parsec to play local co-op games online a number of times. You don't wanna do games that rely on twitch inputs, but it works surprisingly well for more casual games. Even if it's less than ideal, it's an option for people that wanna get around limits.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is the actual FAQ referenced in the tweet available anywhere?

Either way, very cool, will be nice to see this officially supported and likely much easier to use than a lot of other technologies that do similar things.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Oh cool, so this works with games that are only local co-op?

A little too late....for me I mean since I used to play MP lol - but still quite nice.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if towerfall is great for this since it requires too much precision (aka no lag) ... Maybe the "us vs monsters" mode

I've played Towerfall many times over Parsec, and other games like Hidden in Plain Sight, Samurai Gunn, Arena Gods... Each work perfectly with no perceivable lag at all.

The only problem with the tech now are image quality (which is great with Parsec) and audio (you need to take into account that Discord might be running on the host and might create a loop so there are software solutions to mute that volume for the people joining the host).

Curious to see how Steam will solve these problems.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I've played Towerfall many times over Parsec, and other games like Hidden in Plain Sight, Samurai Gunn, Arena Gods... Each work perfectly with no perceivable lag at all.

The only problem with the tech now are image quality (which is great with Parsec) and audio (you need to take into account that Discord might be running on the host and might create a loop so there are software solutions to mute that volume for the people joining the host).

Curious to see how Steam will solve these problems.

I think Steam's "Record audio from all applications on this machine" option might be the solution to that. You can uncheck that, and it should keep discord audio off the stream.

I just ran a quick test with the standard broadcast feature, and it kept my music off stream with that option unchecked.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
I think Steam's "Record audio from all applications on this machine" option might be the solution to that. You can uncheck that, and it should keep discord audio off the stream.

I just ran a quick test with the standard broadcast feature, and it kept my music off stream with that option unchecked.

That's nice!

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I wanna try this with something like Super Mario 3D world on Cemu, if that could be made to work.

BTW, is there any chance the Stadia controller would be use able for streaming like this and be able to reduce latency, or would it already be as low as it could be?

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I wanna try this with something like Super Mario 3D world on Cemu, if that could be made to work.

BTW, is there any chance the Stadia controller would be use able for streaming like this and be able to reduce latency, or would it already be as low as it could be?
I played SM3DW on Parsec with 3 others. It was pretty great.

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
Wow! ok, Steam bringing an amazing idea/update. I'm just excited because it opens up a whole new avenue of games for me to play with friends. Granted this is just a first iteration but they will expand upon on it and if it's popular, other services will adopt it. Plus only 1 of you needs to own the game.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
So I am not sure I understand this: Do I just send a video stream to a coop partner who does not need to own the game?

Edit: Apparently only 1 person needs the game.

Last edited: