• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I hope this feature isn't only enabled for games tagged as local coop. It would be cool to be able to message a friend while you're playing a singleplayer game and have them take control for a bit to show them some cool part of the game or have them help you out.

BTW, is there any chance the Stadia controller would be use able for streaming like this and be able to reduce latency, or would it already be as low as it could be?

How does the Stadia controller reduce latency?

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Parsec is pretty amazing, it's good to see something somewhat equivalent coming directly to steam.
True online is obviously better ( less prone to latency ), but the ability to play local coop game, online, is amazing. Also a great way to make friend and/or family discover a game and save some money... ( even more so in addition to family share ).

KingKunta

Nov 10, 2018
suppose people with downplay the ps4 share play now that steam has this? But coming from someone who uses Share Play a lot these days, this is cool shit. Hope people enjoy it, cause I know I do.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
How would that work? 2 instances of the same game running at the same time on your screen?
Yeah. In the case of Borderlands 2 you start two instances of the game in two windows that you adjust for your TV/monitor and it's a real hassle to set up inputs for player one and player two. You then search for the instance over LAN and connect.

Now, imagine Steam having the option of a split-screen box to run multiple instances of a game and manage inputs for you! It'd be beautiful. But it would of course need to have various solutions for issues like having multiple Steam users for certain games as well as being a massive resource hog. A man can dream though, a man can dream.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
At least in the case for Google streaming, I think it skips the step of the controller input going to the system before being streamed.

I'm not entirely sure what you're describing, but this seems like it doesn't have to do with the controller since it involves the stream reacting before the controller is even polled. Maybe Google is doing some kind of prediction and correction thing?

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not entirely sure what you're describing, but this seems like it doesn't have to do with the controller since it involves the stream reacting before the controller is even polled. Maybe Google is doing some kind of prediction and correction thing?
No. Input Prediction is something they *Hope* to do.

What happens now is only the controller communicating directly to Google's servers.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
I wonder how this would work with Pro Evo, the netplay is sluggish, I wonder if playing with a friend in 1v1 using this would be any better

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
It is, and it's been available on ps4 for 5 years now.

Difference here is there is no time-limit, and knowing Valve and since it needs no dev input - it can apply to everything, including non-Steam titles.
There have also been solutions for this for ages on PC, like Parsec.
However, both the convenience factor of a built in solution for Steam, and how fantastic Link Anywhere has been, makes it likely this could be the best solution so far on PC.
Retro-arch will be on Steam soon - which leads to a lot of awesome possibilities

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Difference here is there is no time-limit, and knowing Valve and since it needs no dev input - it can apply to everything, including non-Steam titles.
There have also been solutions for this for ages on PC, like Parsec.
However, both the convenience factor of a built in solution for Steam, and how fantastic Link Anywhere has been, makes it likely this could be the best solution so far on PC.
Retro-arch will be on Steam soon - which leads to a lot of awesome possibilities

The Share Play time limit is barely a limitation: you just have to renew the stream every 60 minutes. It's never been a problem for me, and I use Share Play quite a bit.

Still, it'd be nice to not have the 1 hr notification.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
No. Input Prediction is something they *Hope* to do.

What happens now is only the controller communicating directly to Google's servers.

I admit it would actually be pretty cool (and bandwidth intensive) if they sent four or five possible frames at any given time corresponding to different likely inputs being pressed, and the client picked the one that most closely matched the latest input. You could under many circumstances get the appearance of lower than possible latency if Google were to send you a frame in advance corresponding to something close to the correct input. I still hope streaming only gaming doesn't catch on too much, but thinking of solutions to the technical challenges is pretty fun.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
So basically exactly like PS4 Share Play.
And Parsec, Moonlight, nvidia share. Now we just need to wait and see it's implementation and limitations. What is imho it's current best implementation on PC ( Parsec ) has a few big and small advantage over the PS4 implementation :
- it's not limited to 2 players ( most important one for me )
- free
- lobbies
- no time limit

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Any general tips or an FAQ for this?

I noticed you can't alt tab without pausing the stream for others.. So you can't text chat? Is there a way to maximize the speed of the connection, etc?

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
It won't. Steam games only, and it has to be tagged as RPT compatible.
leo-crying.jpg

Damn

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Not sure if towerfall is great for this since it requires too much precision (aka no lag) ... Maybe the "us vs monsters" mode
Input lag is usually much more noticeable in m+kb games for me. Especially in a competitive FPS. All the muscle memory you need for snap shots just completely falls apart.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Great news, I doubt I will use it though. and it is great to have a thread about streaming that isnt full of people talking about their data caps or their slow internet speeds.