• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
VRFocus
Spotted by LetsGoDigital, Nintendo applied for the original patent in February 2018 at the Japanese patent office JPO (Japan Patent Office). Only published last month – on 22nd August 2019 – the patent has several detailed images showcasing a much more rugged design with an ergonomic shape for comfort.

It looks, in essence, to be a more advanced version of the Labo design, without the finicky need to build anything or the worry that the housing can easily be damaged by a knock or liquid finding its way onto the housing. Attaching to the Nintendo Switch also seems to be more secure with a wrap-around housing secured at the bottom.

new_nintendo-switch-vtgkc1.jpg

looks like it has the same functionality as the labo headset, but sold as a non-cardboard accessory.

as a reminder, currently these games on switch have VR modes:
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
  • Spice and Wolf

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That first sketch with the girl lol

Curious what it'll be priced at when it comes out.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
lmfaoooo these pictures look hilarious. I don't think i'd use that lol. I'd try it in a store but I don't think that would be fun to use for long periods of time considering what I know of vr right now lol.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
... weird that this "Let's Go Digital" site puts watermarks on officially filed patent drawings...

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how this isn't a patent for the Labo design, the patent doesn't show construction materials, and the design looks roughly the same. Drawings like these are always just for illustrative purposes, not representing exact specifications.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
*Identifying Switch"
*Yep, it's Switch*

Dunno, VR doesn't seem like something really working outside of smaller stuff. They should hold off until the Switch successor, imo.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This honestly just looks like a way to do the same type of VR they've been doing without needing you to build a kit. And it's something I'd buy for sure (if it was reasonably priced).

I don't see how this isn't the Labo design, the patent doesn't show construction materials, and the design looks the same.

The patent probably discloses the materials not being cardboard, which I'm guessing isn't conveyed well in the source article (the source document is in Japanese but I'm guessing the source article translated at least some of it?). There are also a few other images showing little dots/bumps that aren't there on Labo VR.

Deleted member 51608

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
yeah :/
i don't understand why they don't just make one with a headstrap so you can strap the tablet to your head and then play with the disconnected joycons in your hands.

I don't think the screen is good enough for a "full immersive experience" with a headstrap. By making it holding only they might be trying to avoid people getting sick and overwhelmed, it's harder to play to long due to arm strain and it's easier to bail without maybe breaking the console

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how this isn't a patent for the Labo design, the patent doesn't show construction materials, and the design looks roughly the same. Drawings like these are always just for illustrative purposes, not representing exact specifications.
it was published in august, would it be published months after labo VR came out if it was for that? to me it looks like an accessory.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's non -Labo version of the VR set for those who want something more durable?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
it was published in august, would it be published months after labo VR came out if it was for that? to me it looks like an accessory.

Patents can be published months after the product is launched, yes. This happens all the time. As long as the patent was filed within a year after the product is launched you can still claim coverage, as long as you can show that it was your product and you were working on it. At least according to US patent rules, might be different in Japan.

But the images don't seem to line up with Labo VR. Also I'm guessing the source article would have determined that it wasn't the same thing as Labo VR, but maybe I'm giving too much credit to a website that puts watermarks on official patent drawings.