• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
A new patent was filed by Mark Cerny that, as the title says, suggests PlayStation may finally be able to move forward on full backwards compatibility for the PS5 and PS4.

With the mentioning of a "Spoof Clock" and "Fine Grain Frequency Control", and especially that of Claim 11, could point to them solving the software side that would allow them to run games from the PS1, PS2, PS3 and the PSP on both later systems.

It's an interesting read nonetheless, and you can find the patent here: Backward Compatability Through Use Of Spoof Clock And Fine Grain Frequency Control

It is not currently known if this has anything to do with the recent rumors and news about Spartacus, but it would be great if true. I don't expect disc versions of your games to work on PS5 though.

Source:

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I will believe PS3 when I see it, but I would pay for a PS1, PS2, and PSP and Vita games alone. The inaccessibility of this catalog is one of PlayStation's biggest shortcomings - I'd actually go so far to call it a failing - and I hope this means they are finally about to rectify this in a meaningful way.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
If he figured out PS3 I'll praise him forever considering how much of a hassle it was always considered

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I dunno, on initial skim this reads to me like a solution for PS4 backwards compatability. I don't see anything that would improve the ability to run non-x86 code (that would be required for pre-PS4 software).

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Would be nice but I got rid of all my old shit ):

I'd hunt down Champions of Norrath 1 and 2 in a heartbeat though

OP
OP
Vash

Vash

Oct 28, 2017

Good point, just forgot to mention it.

Of course, all the platforms mentioned are purely speculative. It could be just PS1 and PS2, but combined with the rumor of the PS1 and PSP library on PSNow that seems to be more like at this point. Full BC would be the dream though.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Besides, Sony already has functional emulators for PS1, PS2 and PSP games, and they used them on significantly weaker hardware than the PS5. Not sure why they would feel the need to reinvent the wheel there.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
This would be massive, endless possibilities considering how large the PS libraries of the past are.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I remember the last time people got hyped for Cerny patents. It'd be great but I'm taking a wait and see approach in terms of expectations.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
These are not new patents, have been floating about for years in various guises, and likely deal with work relating to getting PS4 software to run on PS5. Mentions of platforms in patent applications are by often by way of illustration only.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Will get excited when it's official or we get all but official types of info about this. For now, I'll just keep expectations in check.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If this happens, I expect to see PS1,2,3,P (and maybe PS4?) games from PlayStation studios on Spartacus. That would be an amazing library, even without new PS5 games.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
"Spoof Clock", in fact, sounds to me more like a FPS Boost kind of thing right?

Lying to the game that it's running at X frequency, while the console is actually running it differently?

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I read in some other thread on this site that the patents were older and related to the PS4 Pro running PS4 games at their original clock speed or something to that nature (I am not technical lol)

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I don't understand how patents regarding manipulating clocks and frequencies will help with emulating the older hardware architectures of PS1-PS3.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
This is gonna sound dumb, but is PS4 even powerful enough to run PS3 games?

Like, isn't the CELL a lot stronger from a CPU perspective than the Jaguar thingy?

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This was posted in the PS studios thread and people said it's an old patent.

Also it sounds like the PS4 BC solution.
On Reddit they said it was named differently than the old patent.
This is gonna sound dumb, but is PS4 even powerful enough to run PS3 games?

Like, isn't the CELL a lot stronger from a CPU perspective than the Jaguar thingy?
No the PS4 CPU was stronger. The Cell could be a "cell" in a daisy-chained PS3 supercomputer "body" though. The Cell was also complex, which made BC difficult.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
This looks promising. Although it is a continuation of several prior patents .

This application is a continuation of U.S. patent application Ser. No. 16/740,271, filed Jan. 10, 2020 to be issued as U.S. Pat. No. 11,119,528. U.S. patent application Ser. No. 16/740,271 is a continuation of U.S. patent application Ser. No. 15/701,736 filed Sep. 12, 2017, now U.S. Pat. No. 10,534,395, the entire contents of which are incorporated herein by reference. U.S. patent application Ser. No. 15/701,736 is a continuation of U.S. patent application Ser. No. 14/627,988 filed Feb. 20, 2015, now U.S. Pat. No. 9,760,113, the entire contents of which are incorporated herein by reference.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OKAY! WHY not discs? At least for PS3 games, allow discs so I can finally get rid of my PS3!

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I fail to see the relation with clocks and PS1/PS2/PS3 hardware when the architectures are that different. It's not like PS4 where it's from the same vendor and use an architure, while different, has some similarities between them.

Oct 30, 2017
I'd still want the ability to run old disc games.

But I wonder if the Spartacus platform will be the only way to consume legacy content. Because I have a hard time seeing Sony move the PS3 and Vita stores onto the modern PSN.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Ah, "Patent Watchers".

A lot of assumptions going on here. Similar patents regarding this have been filed from literally years back; this could still be ongoing research to improve current BC-capabilities, or just updates; it doesnt imply that we're getting PS1/PS2/PS3 BC.

Backward compatibility through use of spoof clock and fine grain frequency control (first filing january 2020)
Spoofing CPUID for backwards compatibility (first filing 2017)
Simulating legacy bus behavior for backwards compatibility (2017)
Backward compatibility testing of software in a mode that disrupts timing (2015)
BACKWARD COMPATIBILITY BY RESTRICTION OF HARDWARE RESOURCES (2015)

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
"Spoof Clock", in fact, sounds to me more like a FPS Boost kind of thing right?

Lying to the game that it's running at X frequency, while the console is actually running it differently?

No, sounds like it's fooling the emulator into thinking it's running at the correct clock speed for the corresponding console. This would allow for games to run more accurately to real hardware improving compatibility but not necessarily improving graphics/performance.

Oct 27, 2017
If BC is on the way then I hope we can purchase these older games digitally and that they aren't just tied to a subscription service.
or let us redownload them again if we use the same psn which i have for 14 years now -_- would love to replay SSX or demon souls.. i even still have my msg4 ps3 but i have no controller anymore and they are insane prices if you want a sony one.. :/

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be pessimistic and expect this to be an enhanced BC for PS4 on PS5, fixing the remaining games with issues. Not withstanding that is seems there wil be broader BC on PS5, just that I think this particular patent might not be filed for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.