• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Hmm... So, if you have this controller, theoretically, you could just boot up your system to any TV and play your PS5/Xbox? That would be dope. Provided a dongle or app of sorts.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hm if this isn't a separate controller for PS Now, I guess this means the new DualShock 5 will have 3 connectivity modes (1) direct wired (which is already confirmed) with PS5 (2) wifi connection with PS5 and (3) wifi connection with PS Now server through the internet.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Interesting, I wonder if this will also be applied to network reliant games in addition to cloud gaming. I'm also pretty certain that it's going to be optional, since it would be incredibly stupid for PlayStation to force it in when you consider what their current catalog of games lean towards.

With what little context we have, I'm not sure why people are jumping to go on the offensive AND defensive when it comes to the worst case hypothetical (24/7 always online controller is NOT the same as an occasional or first time patch)

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, I wonder if this will also be applied to network reliant games in addition to cloud gaming. I'm also pretty certain that it's going to be optional, since it would be incredibly stupid for PlayStation to force it in when you consider what their current catalog of games lean towards.

With what little context we have, I'm not sure why people are jumping to go on the offensive AND defensive when it comes to the worst case hypothetical (24/7 always online controller is NOT the same as an occasional or first time patch)
old.jpg

That's why

Oct 26, 2017
Looking into patents of big companies like Sony may not give any better understanding of what they are actually releasing. Part of their business is to create and hold patents, even if they have no use for it internally.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
This has probably already been stated, but this was filed with the USPTO, and is a continuation of an application from 2013 and continuation in part of an application from 2012 so there is absolutely nothing to suggest it has anything to do with PS5. They could still do something like this with PS5 of course, but that original patent application itself was likely conceived as something for PS Now.

What's interesting is that the claims for the previous applications the new application draws priority from aren't directed towards the controller directly connecting to a server as this new application's claims do. What that suggests to me, though this purely conjecture, is that they included these features in their originally filed specification but didn't think to try to patent it. Now with Google doing this, there is a lot more incentive to try to patent it as they'd be able to collect royalties on it, so someone must have thought since they have it already filed with a really early priority date they might as well try.

Or to put it simply, I don't think this suggests anything about what they're actually going to do. Their lawyers just think they found a way to get money from Google.

Last edited:

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As long as this is not the standard controller. I hate paying for features (streaming controller) I won't be using anyway.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
I'm calling it now...

DS5 will have a 4K screen built in where the Touchpad used to be. You'll be able to take your games on the go using the power of the cloud. Seamless transition from playing on the big screen to playing on the bus! Mark my words! MARK THEM!...

Also will come with a phone plan, and Samsung Pay pre-loaded! Mark them!!!...

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I like this idea, hopefully this is used in all online MP games as well as PS Now going forward.

Nov 30, 2017
Sorry if its been asked.

Would this be its own separate controller, a PSNOW controller?

Or a standard DS5? Would it make DS5 a lot more expensive?

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Sony holds hundreds of patents. This is likely something they briefly explored, thought it was possible / probably technology, and got the patent so they could collect $ if anyone else pursued it.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
So basically, in theory, this is similar to what Nintendo patented back in 2016 before the Switch was out. If you look it and maybe I'm wrong this is almost like what Nintendo is making. Have a read.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remote play from any tv in the world? As long as you have a ps5 and controller, you could just take your controller to work and connect to your works wifi?

Would be dopee.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean isn't this the case with most games now anyway?
Depends on your buying preferences. Out of my shelf of 40 or so disc releases only maybe 2 wouldn't function as expected if my internet connection was down. Maybe 5 of the games would be dramatically different experiences without access to day one patches.

I actually make it a point to avoid games that are broken day one. If someone can't provide at least a mostly functioning product on the disc or through the initial download, it isn't worth my time and money. This is all anecdotal sure, but I would wager that most releases would function just fine without an always online scenario.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
If that patent makes it to the real world, all you would need to do is stick a small screen on to it and increase the battery size, and you'd effectively have a streaming portable console. A 'Vita 2' that could play all your PS4 and PS5 games on the go at 4K res as long as you had a decent 5G/Wifi connection.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Remote play from any tv in the world? As long as you have a ps5 and controller, you could just take your controller to work and connect to your works wifi?

Would be dopee.

That's actually a really ducking good idea. Holy shit, when I think about it. Own a PS5 but can't be near it? Play in any screen anywhere in the world that you have internet or at least 4G coverage.

DP, sorry.

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
If that patent makes it to the real world, all you would need to do is stick a small screen on to it and increase the battery size, and you'd effectively have a streaming portable console. A 'Vita 2' that could play all your PS4 and PS5 games on the go at 4K res as long as you had a decent 5G/Wifi connection.
You would still need something to run the PS now client. Stadia doesn't just run off the controller. You need a chrome cast. Ppl need to take two seconds to unpack what you're thinking. Why would they sell a separate PS Now controller? The entire advantage of the playstation brand is integration with the console. They're going to add a WiFi interface to the DualShock on top of the Bluetooth. Not rocket science ppl. They already let you do remote play on your laptop w/a standard controller.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's actually a really ducking good idea. Holy shit, when I think about it. Own a PS5 but can't be near it? Play in any screen anywhere in the world that you have internet or at least 4G coverage.

DP, sorry.
Thats the only way i see this being great. Basically taking the google stadia idea except its connected directly to your own console. Sony wouldnt have to invest in all those google level servers. And the consumer could just take the controller on the go.
Just thought about this: This would be awesome for remote play, right? No more installing drivers/pairing and stuff like that and it'll reduce latency.
Exactly. You wouldnt even have to login if your controller is paired to your ps5.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
So.....we're going as far as to having the controller depended on always-online servers which means if they go down, we won't be able to use the controller for even SINGLE PLAYER games???....Bluetooth or being able to connect via cable better stay in as a backup.

Last edited:

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
I'm calling it now...

DS5 will have a 4K screen built in where the Touchpad used to be. You'll be able to take your games on the go using the power of the cloud. Seamless transition from playing on the big screen to playing on the bus! Mark my words! MARK THEM!...

Also will come with a phone plan, and Samsung Pay pre-loaded! Mark them!!!...
Even if nothing like this comes to be, it's still a speculatively cool concept.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
I hate it when gamers can't handle that their condescending attempt at "correcting" people was made in error and keep doubling down on their mistake.

Whilst I agree that it's probably not what this patent is intended for, Krejlooc is correct in that his explanation would both qualify and is functionally different from remote play currently.

Remote play is it stands today requires either the output device sending the inputs to the PlayStation, or that the controller is within range for a direct connection with the console itself. What hes describing would allow for something similar, but for a device to not require support for a DualShock itself, whilst remaining playable from anywhere a network connection can be made with the console. This could be within the same household, but outside the range a controller would usually manage.

It would actually be a pretty sensible functionality to include if you wanted to offer not only PSNow, but also console remote streaming on a wide range of devices without being reliant on a dedicated app or device drivers.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy

DP, sorry.
This would vita 2.0
Glorious. Too much to ask i fear.
So easily they will use the ds for social, screencap, trophy and minor things imho

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoy not being able to play when your Internet goes down
I can't imagine this being used in offline games. Like, why would the controller go through a server somewhere far away when it could just connect directly to the console? Sounds like a streaming/online play thing and if your Internet is down, you won't be playing those no matter how the controller connects to your console or where the controller connects to.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
If this really is a feature planned for PS5 it has to only be an option for multiplayer games anyway. Having this for single player games makes no sense because what server will the controller connect to?
It makes sense as a latency reducing feature for game streaming. Nothing else that I can think of.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds to me like this is a different device than the DS5 but if this tech is inside the PS5 controller I'm guessing it would connect through the internet if the controller was away from the PS5 but still connect to the console directly through bluetooth if you were at home playing. It would be pretty great though to be able to play remoteplay with the controller even if the device you're remote playing at does not have controller support.