• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
A new patent discovered by German website Techtastic, however, suggests the Dualshock 5 (or whatever it ends up being called) could signify a huge shift to cloud gaming for the PS4's upcoming successor, revealing a controller that connects directly over the internet, and not to the PS5 itself.

The patent, filed a few weeks ago by Sony through the World Intellectual Property Organization, describes a "a controller device for user interactivity with a server of a cloud gaming system is provided", accompanied by a sketch showing the user connecting their controller to the console remotely through an online server.

"The controller device communicates directly to an access device for connection to a network that connects the controller device to the server without connecting to a client device", reads the patent, "wherein the server receives and processes the inputs to render gameplay video that is transmitted over the network for rendering to a display device that is local to the controller device."
Gamesradar

This could be the PS5 controller, a streaming device or amount to nothing at all. It's still intriguing that Sony is interested in exploring this path (the same as Stadia).

somethingisme

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like the Stadia controller, which makes me wonder if part of the plan is game streaming outside of the console itself.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Worth mentioning that this is for a "controller device" and NOT necessarily for the PS5. In fact, patent mentions nothing about a game console. Just a "client device." It could be offered as a PS Now controller for non-PS5 devices, like mentioned above, similar to Stadia.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If this means they are getting more serious about ps now and I don't have to buy ps5 this could be good, exactly what I wanted

tabris

Oct 27, 2017

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I wouldn't mind a controller dedicated only for streaming that also has a 5-6 inch LCD screen so you don't have to use a TV.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wifi connect for streaming sounds great but surely a direct connection is always going to be better?

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Are there any games (MMOs excluded) that have zero functionality when offline?

I get the point that a lot of functionality is online now but not all.

Yeah I guess you're right now that I really think of it, most of the games I have installed have some type of online function but looking more into it most are still playable offline, although I have a feeling we are going to get to a point when that isn't the case, unfortunately.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Yeah definitely where online us the focus offline is a bit more of an afterthought.

That said it seems like going directly to cloud from the controller is the in thing, I'm guessing it cuts out some input latency from on-console processing.

Razors4edge

Nov 12, 2017
Whatever this means. A controller must be able to be used wired with USB C (or micro) to a console. Sony allowed this in the Slim and Pro, sending info through the usb cable only if you want, props for that. Xbox have had it all the time. I hate when things are forced wireless with batteries etc. Give options!

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Outside of GAAS, what games are like this? I can still play GTA5, Madden, Call of Duty, Assasin's Creed, FIFA (just trying to list the big AAA titles). Sure the multiplayer services won't be available but I can still play.
Youre making an assumption that I play games the same way you do, and you would be incorrect in that assumption...

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a great idea now that Sony is doing it instead of just google?
Were people actually negative on this feature of Stadia? I thought it was very clever to circumvent needing to have controller drivers for every device. Also, it allows you to skip an extra 'hop' to the router. Of course the latter may be a negative if the controller is closer to the console and the console is wired to ethernet, but still, for many people that may not be the case.

Enjoy not being able to play when your Internet goes down
Why not both?

As in, using Wifi when cloud streaming and / or automatically use bluetooth (or direct wifi) when close to the PS5 and when playing local games. It's an added feature that will probably be optional on the PS5.

Last edited:

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
What benefits does this have though? Will it improve latency or button presses at all? I'm trying to see how this is beneficial. Maybe for the rumored Playstation Assist tech?

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
If the input is going through the Internet, is it still going to be worsened by TV input lag?

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To clarify, this application was filled with the US Patent and Trademark Office back in May.

Would they even get this patent if the Stadia controller counts as prior art?

When was Stadia first disclosed? March? Sony might get a more limited patent scope based on some special features that the Stadia controller doesn't have.

Just Dance, of course, did this years ago with smartphone based controllers coupled with an internet/webpage stream.

If the input is going through the Internet, is it still going to be worsened by TV input lag?

TV input lag is how long it takes for your TV to process and display an image. It has nothing to do with the console or controller.

Last edited:

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
Tech companies file patents on anything and everything all the time, I don't see anything exciting here until we have something more concrete to back it up.