• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably be in the minority here but Outside of maybe 3-4 studios, I'd prefer Sony to invest on expanding teams as opposed to outside entities. Just imagine SSM with another team, building a Wolverine game using the same engine they made GOW with?

Collectively as gamers we'd be like

giphy.gif

Jan 20, 2019
I'll probably be in the minority here but Outside of maybe 3-4 studios, I'd prefer Sony to invest on expanding teams as opposed to outside entities. Just imagine SSM with another team, building a Wolverine game using the same engine they made GOW with?

Collectively as gamers we'd be like

giphy.gif

They are doing that.
They are expanding the current studios and open new ones

Oct 31, 2017
It's funny how the narrative tends to suggest that Sony snatches these kind of games, that supposedly would be released on multiple platforms otherwise, and be exactly the same without their funding.

Yup, be thankful you have Bloodborne.

As he's defacto exclusive already they might as well save their money and buy somebody else.

Nobody is de facto exclusive these days.

Just about everyone Sony has bought has been someone who already worked almost exclusively with the company, anyway.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
You don't know that...
I do know that. Every game is improved when people have options for how and where they want to play it.

From wasn't acquired though, but the game was commissioned by Sony. It's reasonable to assume the game wouldn't exist (much like it's been with Bayonetta sequels), or at least be what it is, without the deal. Considering, Sony approached From with the idea, initiated the Lovecratian theme, and contributed on the soundtrack, IIRC.
It's still a worse game by being exclusive though. Bloodborne would be a better game if it was available on more platforms. The PlayStation hardware is a detriment to that game. It was never even updated with Pro support.

Funnily enough, that's exactly what MS has been doing, yet you're still complimenting them.

EDIT: I see it's becoming a narrative, that acquisitions are only good when Microsoft makes them, just because the games will come to PC as well, which is a part of their platform. Unsurpisingly, it's accompanied with a highly positive viewpoint on Microsoft's platform, that dismisses any negatives on their side, even how they were against crossplay when they were on the top, unlike their direct competitor. It's funny how the first one to shout "fanboys!" usually fits the definition so well himself.
I have been outspoken against Microsoft acquisitions too - but at least those games are not locked to a single platform with limited options and a limited shelf-life.
My preference is for all games to be as widely available as possible, where technically feasible - not just my platform of choice.
I would rather see companies compete on the strength of their platform and the hardware options that they offer, than which content they can lock up by throwing money around.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I do know that. Every game is improved when people have options for how and where they want to play it.

It's still a worse game by being exclusive though. Bloodborne would be a better game if it was available on more platforms. The PlayStation hardware is a detriment to that game. It was never even updated with Pro support.

I have been outspoken against Microsoft acquisitions too - but at least those games are not locked to a single platform with limited options and a limited shelf-life.
My preference is for all games to be as widely available as possible, where technically feasible - not just my platform of choice.
I would rather see companies compete on the strength of their platform and the hardware options that they offer, than which content they can lock up by throwing money around.

You are mad about a company funding games and releasing them only in their platform? What

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who is left to buy after Microsoft's buying spree? Maybe they can buy Atlas remove their incompetent management.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

The type of games a platform holder is willing to publish, is not the same as what a 3rd party will, due to different business models. You have no idea how a game fully funded and published by Sony would turn out without Sony.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland

As has been said, Bloodborne wouldn't exist, or at least be what it is, without the deal. So, it's pointless to say the exclusivity hurts it, as you wouln't have it at all, or the same game, without it. That being said, it's unfortunate it never got a Pro patch, but then again, neither did Dark Souls 3.* DS3 also has performance issues on consoles, and to my knowledge it suffers from frame-pacing on PC as well.

In a perfect world there would be no 3rd party exclusives, outside of situations like Bloodborne, Bayonetta, Sunset Overdrive and Spider-Man, and the platformer holders would build studios of their own and acquire only those who are already strongly linked with them. Grabbing multiplatform studios is just a power move, that benefits the platform holder by patching their shortcomings. You would still get games from those studios for PC without the acquisitions.

* EDIT: Actually, I was wrong. DS3 did get a minor Pro patch:
There's the sense that From Software has done the absolute bare minimum here to support PS4 Pro, so the question is to what extent this represents an improvement over the regular PS4. Well, if the original game didn't suffer from noticeable judder issues owing to a lack of consistent frame-pacing, we might have some concerns about the inadequacies of this Pro upgrade. However, even with the variable frame-rate, patch 1.11 patch does represent an improvement on PS4 Pro - though not an especially impressive one. The input latency that came with Dark Souls 3's 30fps cap is lifted at laest - meaning controls feel a touch more responsive than before. However, the judder in screen motion remains.

Fundamentally, Dark Souls 3 is designed to run at 30fps on console and simply unlocking the frame-rate isn't giving us the upgraded experience we'd hoped for. Fixing the frame-pacing (pretty please?) and increasing the resolution may have been a better utilisation of the PlayStation 4 Pro hardware overall, where an optional 'unlocked' frame-rate mode could have made a nice bonus. Maybe this is something From Software might consider for a later update (or Bloodborne Pro support) but as things stand, Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin running on PS4 Pro with boost mode remains the only game in the series to consistently hit 1080p60. And if you want that silky-smooth experience for the latest title in the series, the PC version is the only way to go.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The type of games a platform holder is willing to publish, is not the same as what a 3rd party will, due to different business models. You have no idea how a game fully funded and published by Sony would turn out without Sony.

God of War GAAS: Blade of Chaos coming 3 months after launch in the all new Ragnarok Season Pass

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018

Maybe you don't understand or don't want
No sony no bloodborne like no nintendo no bayonetta

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
That's certainly a valid point, as Sony do seem to have different priorities - so the games themselves may be different under Sony's direction. But that's something which cannot really be known.
What I'm saying is that it would be better for players if they had the choice to play games where and how they wanted to, rather than having them locked down to a single platform.

You are mad about a company funding games and releasing them only in their platform? What
I'm not "mad" about anything. I'm saying that a game like Bloodborne is made worse by being a PlayStation exclusive.
I'm not talking about the business of how the game was funded, and whether Bloodborne would even exist if not for Sony's involvement.
I'm saying that the current state of Bloodborne is worse-off by being exclusive to that hardware. It has a lot of technical issues and restrictions resulting from that exclusivity, and even though it is exclusive, they didn't care enough to update the game with support for their PS4 Pro hardware.

As has been said, Bloodborne wouldn't exist, or at least be what it is, without the deal. So, it's pointless to say the exclusivity hurts it, as you wouln't have it at all, or the same game, without it. That being said, it's unfortunate it never got a Pro patch, but then again, neither did Dark Souls 3. DS3 also has performance issues on consoles, and to my knowledge it suffers from frame-pacing on PC as well.
It does not have frame-pacing issues on PC.

Oct 27, 2017
The thread is not closed yet? It suggests something is really happening otherwise Zhuge would have closed the thread! Take Two on the table boys!

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
That's certainly a valid point, as Sony do seem to have different priorities - so the games themselves may be different under Sony's direction. But that's something which cannot really be known.
What I'm saying is that it would be better for players if they had the choice to play games where and how they wanted to, rather than having them locked down to a single platform.

I'm not "mad" about anything. I'm saying that a game like Bloodborne is made worse by being a PlayStation exclusive.
I'm not talking about the business of how the game was funded, and whether Bloodborne would even exist if not for Sony's involvement.
I'm saying that the current state of Bloodborne is worse-off by being exclusive to that hardware. It has a lot of technical issues and restrictions resulting from that exclusivity, and even though it is exclusive, they didn't care enough to update the game with support for their PS4 Pro hardware.

In a perfect world sure, but Sony do those games to sell hardware, which sells services, which fund more games. So if Sony wasn't focused on selling PlayStations they'd very likely not do the same games either, because well, there's a lot more ways to make money from individual games, which don't really mesh well with the games they usually fund. You don't really get 1 without the other and Sony don't really owe those on other platforms anything. Same for Nintendo or MS (though their platform is Xbox and PC, so different priority to the other 2).

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
In a perfect world sure, but Sony do those games to sell hardware, which sells services, which fund more games. So if Sony wasn't focused on selling PlayStations they'd very likely not do the same games either. You don't really get 1 without the other and Sony don't really owe other platforms anything. Same for Nintendo or MS (though their platform is console and PC).
I'm not saying that they do. I'm saying that, from a player's perspective, games are worse when they're exclusive to a single platform - and buying up studios to deprive other platforms of their games should not be celebrated.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not saying that they do. I'm saying that, from a player's perspective, games are worse when they're exclusive to a single platform - and buying up studios to deprive other platforms of their games should not be celebrated.
But not always, as some games are just too risky for a standard 3rd party publisher to touch, especially without a lot of additional ways to get money out of players, leading to a worst game. I agree buying or paying with the sole reason to deny others shouldn't be celebrated though, buy studios who are on their last legs or those who already wotk mostly on exclusives for them, I'm fine with, 1 is better than the alternative of them going under and the other is protecting an investment and has minimumal impact on other players on other platforms.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully a Japanese studio.

Severely lacking rpg.

Buy microsoft to get havok. There's your middleware.

Last edited:

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
A little off-topic here.
If we're talking non-dev studio acquisitions, I'm surprised that no one has acquired Discord yet, particularly Google.
Just something random that I was thinking about.

ArabianPrynce

Jun 1, 2019
i believe that sony should just focus on expanding their current studios to increase exclusive output, the fact that naughty dog release like two games per generation is a bit ridiculous. It would be a cool as fuck for them expand into different generes and do what Gurrriella is doing by trying to release a game every 2-3 years. This of course applies to all their studios.

The only studio i think they can aquire is bluepoint, homereque, maybe remedy.

ArabianPrynce

Jun 1, 2019
KojiPro seems like a logical choice. Kojima has basically been owned by Sony for years, so they may as well make it official. Funny thing is, it won't really change anything over at KojiPro. They already get money thrown at them to make Kojimas fever/ego dreams come true, so they may as well stay as they are.
I doubt Kojima wants to be bought tbh, seems like he wants to be independant and make multiplats

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Not when does games would not be funded otherwise.

Who is funding single player linear games this days? Racing games? AAA VR games? AAA Platformers?Most of those are coming from first party these days.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Who is left to buy after Microsoft's buying spree? Maybe they can buy Atlas remove their incompetent management.

There's quite a few. Here's a list of potential studios:

• 4A Games
  • 5th Cell Media
  • Access Games
  • Arc System Works
  • Armature
  • Asobo Studio
  • Behavior Interactive
  • Bluehole
  • Bluepoint
  • Bohemia Interactive
  • Bungie
  • Camelot Software Planning
  • Cave
  • CD Project Red
  • Certain Affinity
  • Codemasters
  • Croteam
  • Crytek
  • CyberConnect2
  • Dimps
  • Dontnod
  • Dovetail Games
  • Fatshark
  • Firesprite
  • Frontier Developments
  • Frozenbyte
  • Gearbox
  • Goodfeel
  • Grounding Inc
  • Haemimont Games
  • HAL Laboratory
  • Hello Games
  • Hi-Rez Studios
  • Housemarque
  • Insomniac
  • Intelligent Systems
  • Inti Creates
  • IO Interactive
  • Iron Galaxy
  • Kalypso Media
  • Larian
  • Level 5
  • Limbic Entertainment
  • Media.Vision
  • MercurySteam
  • Mistwalker
  • Moon Studios
  • Next Level Games
  • Nihon Falcom
  • Oddworld Inhabitants
  • People Can Fly
  • Platinum Games
  • Playdead
  • Q-Games
  • Quantic Dreams
  • Ready At Dawn
  • Rebellion Games
  • Remedy
  • Skybox Labs
  • Splash Damage
  • Starbreeze
  • Stoic Studio
  • Studio Wildcard
  • Sumo Digital
  • Supergiant Games
  • Supermassive Games
  • Techland
  • Tequilaworks
  • Thatgamecompany
  • tri-Crescendo
  • Turtle Rock
  • Twisted Pixel
  • Valhalla Games
  • Vanillaware
  • Wargaming
  • WayForward Techologies
  • Yager Development

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
KojiPro seems like a logical choice. Kojima has basically been owned by Sony for years, so they may as well make it official. Funny thing is, it won't really change anything over at KojiPro. They already get money thrown at them to make Kojimas fever/ego dreams come true, so they may as well stay as they are.

whats kojipro worth without Kojima tough? (Kojima is not the youngest anymore - he might pursue other things after the next or third title)

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see them acquiring anyone personally and I'm pretty sure Sony just built a new studio in San Deigo (I think)? So they're pretty much set on the first party front and also lol at people acting like no one complains about Microsoft making acquisitons. People complain about it on both sides and equally.

You may think that, but they have made it clear they want more devs. Be it expanding existing studios, building new studios or buying studios. They are already doing the first two and the third is likely on the way.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i believe that sony should just focus on expanding their current studios to increase exclusive output, the fact that naughty dog release like two games per generation is a bit ridiculous. It would be a cool as fuck for them expand into different generes and do what Gurrriella is doing by trying to release a game every 2-3 years. This of course applies to all their studios.

Well, Naughty Dog released a new game in 2013 (TLOU). And then developed TLOU Remastered (2014) themselves, while working on TLOU2 (pre production after Left Behind DLC) and UC4 at the same time.

The problem was that UC4 had huge development problems. Amy Henning, the director of the game and also key staff members were out of the project mid development. Sony had to take Neil and Bruce out of TLOU2 and make them clean up the mess it was left and finish the game. Huge amounts of work had to be completely redone. The story changed, voice actors changed, mechanics changed. The fact that they managed to finish it in 3 years was actually a freaking miracle. It is one of the most impressive turn arounds this gen imo considering the final result (93 MC, 16+ million sold).

Then, after it was finished, Neil came back to TLOU2 and a new team took the helm of a new Uncharted game, The Lost Legacy, which shipped in 2017, just 1 year after UC4. Which, again, is really fucking impressive. The game obviously would release much faster considering there is already asset templates build for it with UC4, but it is incredible how they mamaged to ship a game with that kind of productiom values in 1 year.

And now, with all Naughty Dog staff on TLOU2, the goal was to ship it in late 2019 according to rumours. Seems like they decided to delay it internally to early 2020, which is a shame but it isnt an unreasonable dev time at all considering that by early 2020 the entire team will have worked exclusively on TLOU2 just over 2 years.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't necessarily mean studio acquisitions right? Could it be tech stuff instead? I'm thinking of the Gaikai acquisition a few years back.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Sony aquisitioning Take Two would instantly put them as top dog in the digital libraries war. Here for it to be honest.

Responses alone would provide endless entertainment for years to come.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
That secret studio that they haven't officially announced its from scratch. Pixel Opus was a built studio as well iirc. It's Microsoft this gen who didn't build new ones and just acquired studios I believe. Of course Sony

Didn't MS build the Initiative, or was it last gen? Although, they poached talent from Sony's studios for it.

Quick googling implied there is, and that there's a usermade fix for it, but I'm not that familiar with the matter.

I do agree, that it's a shame Sony/From never patched Bloodborne for the Pro, and I guess it's unlikely it'll be patched for the PS5 either. Frame-pacing has never bothered me personally, but I'd welcome visual and performance improvements for the game, especially supersampling. After all, it was nice to revisit The Last of Us in an improved form as well.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Sony needs to fill voids in racing, fighting and arcade-y game. These genres aren't that strong even outside their first party. They got everything covered and no, they don't need JRPGs.

If they want to expand, I wish it would be in those areas. AND for the love of GOD, give the Astro bot team tons of money and have them make a proper platformer for PS5 that's not VR only.

Captain_Raoul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's also a great take for Sony to acquire some smaller devs like Microsoft did with the focus on multiplayer games, together with some bigger names.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
let's not forget, that when Jim Ryan talked about expanding the studios, he might have been referring to Manchester Studio and the San Diego Studio (which aren't officially announced yet)

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017

They have had bad fortune expanding their studios to 2 game studios in the past. See Naughty Dog (The Last of Us/Uncharted 4) and SSM (GOW/Stig's Game).

Really, the only dev who did it right is Insomniac, which isn't even first part lul.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
They have had bad fortune expanding their studios to 2 game studios in the past. See Naughty Dog (The Last of Us/Uncharted 4) and SSM (GOW/Stig's Game).

Really, the only dev who did it right is Insomniac, which isn't even first part lul.

they probably learned, that making 2 AAA Games simultaniously is not feasible. They can still have 2 Teams (One Major Team working on the next project and a smaller team in Pre Production)
Guerilla Games did that with Horizon and Killzone

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
whats kojipro worth without Kojima tough? (Kojima is not the youngest anymore - he might pursue other things after the next or third title)
Nothing, which is exactly why Sony would be stupid to acquire them unless it's for free or very, very cheap. Without Kojima there is no Kojima Productions.
Besides, if both Sony and Kojima were interested in an acquisition it probably would have happened when Kojima Productions reformed.