• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sillegamer

Oct 27, 2017
With PlayStation CEO Jim Ryan talking openly about acquisitions, a new job listing for M&A Program Manager seems to hint that SIE may have already or is in the process of acquiring new studios.

Sony PlayStation is looking for an M&A Program Manager with 2-3 years' of relevant corporate experience for a 6-9 month contract position. The M&A Program Manager will support the company in the due diligence process and put together project timelines to ensure that all acquisition integration activities are on track.

Link: https://boards.greenhouse.io/sonyinteractiveentertainmentplaystation/jobs/1725873

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
You know that special partnership with Sony that Square was talking about in their conference. Well this is it. :[

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
This has been brought up a few times in the past. It's a rather common position for a corporation their size. It may mean something but it may also mean nothing. It definitely doesn't confirm they are buying a studio.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
well.jpg

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Talking about supporting the due diligence process suggests that no acquisitions have been made yet but yeah they're probably pretty far down the track if that's the case.

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
This has been brought up a few times in the past. It's a rather common position for a corporation their size. It may mean something but it may also mean nothing. It definitely doesn't confirm they are buying a studio.
Yeah I agree, I think companies like Sony arr always doing things like this, doesn't mean they will they may just expand existing studios. Sony has enough now really imo.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I wish console-makers would stop buying studios. I'd much rather get relationships like Sony's with Insomniac than buying third party studios.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I'm not really a fan of studio's being acquired unless they have to be to stay afloat but shit if Microsoft is going to do it, Sony may as well do the same.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when MS started paid online, marketing deals, and exclusive content last gen? And Sony ran with those ideas big time this gen?

well.... >_>

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm not sure this really means much of anything at all. Sony recently bought that audio middleware company, for example, so the role could be related to integrating that.

Must admit, it's becoming a bit tiring seeing these acquisitions turned into a sport. I used to think exclusive list wars were bad, but we may have found something worse.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I don't like Sony's acquisitions because those games don't end up on PC. At least with Microsoft you're getting console and pc.

Oct 25, 2017
For good reason lol. Why would anyone want MS or Sony to buy a successful multi-plat developer? From are good were they are.
I mean I mostly wasn't being serious, but From is always brought up when there's rumors of acquisitions. Plus From's last three games were revealed at Xbox E3 conferences so there's obviously a relationship.

Oct 27, 2017
"acquisition integration activities" looks pretty vague to me. Could be anything unfortunately, nothing here implies that something moved recently about a new WWS studio acquisition.

Also, we're still waiting some official confirmation about Manchester Studio and San Diego Studio #2. Hopefully during the PS5 reveal, that would make sense.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
I'm not sure this really means much of anything at all. Sony recently bought that audio middleware company, for example, so the role could be related to integrating that.

Must admit, it's becoming a bit tiring seeing these acquisitions turned into a sport. I used to think exclusive list wars were bad, but we may have found something worse.

Agree. This is far worse. It's different to save studio by buying them, than just simply buying studio for sake of buying.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Mergers are not just buying studios. It can be smaller partners and suppliers in adjacent industries.

Don't jump to conclusions lol.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

Yeah, it's kinda getting out of hand in terms of relevance to the people. If anything cultivate and hire talent.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I doubt it's anything big like Square Enix or From Software. Insomniac at best, which got pretty big with Spiderman for sure but is already doing exclusives.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody acquire anybody please(unless the studio is about to go bankrupt or something), it's going to create this stupid fight of companies buying other studios to get one over each other.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019

A due deligence process happens BEFORE an acquisition and not after. It doesn't need to be a new studio, but they rea buying something.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We are going to regret this studio buying spree by platform holders in a few years aren't we?

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not really a fan of studio's being acquired unless they have to be to stay afloat but shit if Microsoft is going to do it, Sony may as well do the same.
Even as someone who plays primarily on PS4 I think it'd be disappointing if they acquired a dev that usually puts out multi-platform games. That partly just feels like they're taking games away from other people. However, a studio like Bluepoint, Housemarque or even Insomniac who have generally worked very closely with Sony would be reasonable, in my opinion. Sure, not every game they've worked on has been exclusive but it feels less egregious that way. Like nothing was particularly lost when MS bought Playground Games and Undead Labs but I'm sure it was a huge boost to their studios.