• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of the consolidation of this industry. The only bright side would be if it's something like Obsidian, who by all accounts were having major financial issues.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Like I said in the other thread, I am only a fan of this when it's a small studio that has had trouble in the past and they look to expand them. The only big dev that Sony should buy is KojiPro, since he helped build the Playstation brand.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of acquisitions any which way. Would much rather they put the time and effort into starting new studios instead if they're expanding. I know it's harder, but if you have the right people in place you can make something special.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Given the net result, what's the difference, really?
Studios still have their independence to do as they please. Insomniac is tight with Sony, but they also made Sunset Overdrive and a bunch of VR games. Quantic Dream made the Cage Trilogy and thanks to their relationship with Sony they were able to release them on PC too.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We are going to regret this studio buying spree by platform holders in a few years aren't we?
The escalation in fanboy cheerleading will be sad to see. Nintendo and Sony fans already started overreacting to MS acquisitions, the moment someone buys a company like Capcom, this will become a mess of warring for stuff like "buy Square Enix!" "buy CDPR" etc.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Until the ink is dry on an acquisition I'll wait and see. Given Sony's pattern so far it's probably something completely left-field that they think they'll need in the future rather than buying a development studio (Unless they want to be bought/are at risk/have great ideas for the future).

OP
OP
Sillegamer

Sillegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Shuhei Yoshida recently visited Housemarque and Remedy.

One of the Insomniac guys was visiting PlayStation in San Francisco and referred to it as the "mothership".

Seems pretty random.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
"acquisition integration activities" looks pretty vague to me. Could be anything unfortunately, nothing here implies that something moved recently about a new WWS studio acquisition.

Also, we're still waiting some official confirmation about Manchester Studio and San Diego Studio #2. Hopefully during the PS5 reveal, that would make sense.

Yes, dare I say this thread is making an incredible leap of assumption and should be closed.

That said...

If I was Sony I would reacquire Naughty Dog.

Yeah, if I was Sony I'd buy Naughty Dog again just to make sure I own those guys.

Merex

May 31, 2019
I mean, if Sony didn't have exclusives or better Japanese studio support, I'd probably not buy a PlayStation.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
This has been brought up a few times in the past. It's a rather common position for a corporation their size. It may mean something but it may also mean nothing. It definitely doesn't confirm they are buying a studio.

It's a contract Position, not a perm Position. Which means it's an urgent vacancy.

Lemon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure about acquiring a studio but they need to build a studio dedicated to Knack. Can't wait for Knack 3 on my PS5.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
We are going to regret this studio buying spree by platform holders in a few years aren't we?
Microsoft doesn't bother me too much. I feel like if Sony let them Microsoft would pump out games to the PlayStation, but Sony bothers me a whole lot because they don't even like Crossplay.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
That's not what this means, and given Sony isn't a software company I'd dread them buying studios. Bad enough Microsoft stuff by and large aside from Minecraft won't be on PlayStation but god forbid Sony buys something and I can't even get it on PC.

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
That's not what this means, and given Sony isn't a software company I'd dread them buying studios. Bad enough Microsoft stuff by and large aside from Minecraft won't be on PlayStation but god forbid Sony buys something and I can't even get it on PC.

This is an odd take, Sony's been great at managing their studios and making great successful software with them...

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Not really in the favour of buying existing studios, but I guess they gotta keep up with/stay ahead of the comptetition.

Kojima/ Bluepoint/ Insomniac make sense. They have a had a good history with them. Although insomniac does pride itself being independent , they have made fantastic exclusive IPs (ratchet and clank, spiderman)

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I would love for them to beef up their internal Japanese development capabilities, but in researching Japanese studios not already under a parent company - I realized that there's honestly not much out there :(

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Giant company wants to hire M&A help is not news. People need to chill. Sony WILL buy multiple companies in the next 5 years, but this means nothing.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm a bit torn about exclusives. One on hand, it's not really 'consumer friendly' since they're often locked to a single platform. On the other hand, exclusives are important to a brand and should be system sellers, often resulting in games that really try to push the medium to a new level.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018

One of the Insomniac guys was visiting PlayStation in San Francisco and referred to it as the "mothership".

Seems pretty random.
That's pretty interesting but why would they want Housemarque? Didn't they recently give up on arcade style games?

Microsoft doesn't bother me too much. I feel like if Sony let them Microsoft would pump out games to the PlayStation, but Sony bothers me a whole lot because they don't even like Crossplay.
Really? Sony did crossplay since PS2 and still have more crossplay games.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I spoke to a Gamestop employee and heard that the rumor is that it might be Microsoft Game Studios. He says that he's an insider so I think this is real guys/gals

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope a 3rd party acquisition war hasn't started. Would suck if MS and Sony start snapping a bunch of devs up.

I agree.
I'm ok with getting a dev that pretty much only makes games for your platform. Then its ok.

But getting one that makes multiplats and making them exclusive is kind of a dick move.

But then again, these devs usually agree to this, so I dunno.

Pennywise

Oct 25, 2017

Seems pretty random.
It's not random. It's where the US headquarters are located.

Also visiting Remedy when you're already close by and visit Housemarque isn't exactly suprising either. Who knows, could be just another collab with XDEV on the Housemarque title or they're publishing it and Yoshida is just checking.

It's really non-news unless there is actually concrete evidence or rumors are start popping up.

This is just random guessing.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Sigh. Just like with Microsoft, I really don't like studios getting gobbled up and stopping millions of players from getting to play games.

Of course, sometimes, those studios wouldn't be able to afford to make the game, yadayadayada... but, lame.