• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
I'm joking about Sony acquiring Square lol. But yeah Square did say that they had some sort of special partnership with Sony during the end of their E3 conference. Have no idea what that partnership entails.

Partnering with PlayStation Productions to bring us the new blockbuster movie from an SE IP, Spirits Within 2!

:-p

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Why are so many people these days opposed to exclusives or studio acquisitions? Im actually curious.

I would love to have more first party games from Sony.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Epic acquires an exclusive game... bring out the pitchforks!

Playstation acquires exclusives games... whoooo!

Be it Epic, Sony, MS, whoever; platforms buying up exclusives is not good for me as a consumer. I want to "invest" in a platform based on the hardware, service, etc. Not the exclusives they buy up that only benefit them by giving me no choice if I want to play a particular game.

Deleted member 18324

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to the same people who think a bunch of walled-off proprietary hardware manufacturers is good because "competition", simultaneously cheerleading the consolidation of studios and removal of options from customers.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be happy with the following.

• Supermassive
• Asobo Studio
• Take-Two Interactive
• Insomniac Games
• Activision
• Remedy
• Dontnod
• Telltale Games
• NetEase
• Square

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
This is an odd take, Sony's been great at managing their studios and making great successful software with them...

No, I mean that in the sense Sony's bread and butter is media and electronics. Sure yeah they pump out games for PlayStation but that isn't their sole purpose. Microsoft is a software juggernaut. The entire intent of the company from inception has been to sell you things on other people's hardware.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Begun......the acquistion wars have.
Seriously though,that seems like a reach.
People need to chill with the acquisition talk......Microsoft desperately needed to bulk up their first party for their new Gamepass strategy......so they have,good for them.
Sony WWS contains a lot of the very best in the business right now......they don't need to snap up any third party devs that are already making games for them.

Last edited:

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
OMG SONY IS BUYING DOMINO'S PIZZA FEATURING HATSUNE MIKU

idunno.gif

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
with all these services like Stadia, Gamepass, NOW, Uplay+, Gamepass exclusive Content will matter more than ever before.
Sadly....i think the next years acquisiton topics will dominate the console war pissing contests

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Microsoft doesn't bother me too much. I feel like if Sony let them Microsoft would pump out games to the PlayStation, but Sony bothers me a whole lot because they don't even like Crossplay.

Yes, but I think that's going to change. With their recent cloud partnership with MS, there's no way Sony is just going to stream games to PlayStations and not other devices in the future.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017

Be it Epic, Sony, MS, whoever; platforms buying up exclusives is not good for me as a consumer. I want to "invest" in a platform based on the hardware, service, etc. Not the exclusives they buy up that only benefit them by giving me no choice if I want to play a particular game.

Welcome to the consoles business model since 1977.

So what do you say of Nintendo, then?

Oct 27, 2017
I wish console-makers would stop buying studios. I'd much rather get relationships like Sony's with Insomniac than buying third party studios.

Yeah, I really don't like the discourse and conversation that has come about from MS beginning to buy up devs to plug the gaps in their software lineup. If they're going to make new development studios I would much prefer setting up new ones (a la Manchester Studio) or expanding existing ones (a la Guerrilla Games). The obsession and corporate cheerleading that's come about from all this is really one-note and tiring.

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
No, I mean that in the sense Sony's bread and butter is media and electronics. Sure yeah they pump out games for PlayStation but that isn't their sole purpose. Microsoft is a software juggernaut. The entire intent of the company from inception has been to sell you things on other people's hardware.
I still don't see the relevance with regards to them buying a studio? Sony is also a software and hardware company, and they also have services. Not the same way MS no, but sony is also going to be going the service route...thats what PS now is the beginning of (And partnering with Azure)...

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019

You must be new to the console market...PC is always been an open platform, consoles never have been. Not to mention don't see anyone cheering here and going WHOO.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Sony going to splash out those PS PLUS billions. Take Two, Square Enix and From Software. Who's next?

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess there are a few shareholders here, right? That's the only way to explain people making grocery lists or defending an acquisition war.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The only sensible ones are Bluepoint (worked with Sony a bunch) and Kojima Productions (who else will entertain Kojima's crazy single player games).

People saying FromSoft or Square need to lay off glue.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
I can see Take-Two, Supermassive, Thatgamecompany, Blueprint, Insomniac, and/or Square Enix joining Sony, everything else is a mixed bag.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony going to splash out those PS PLUS billions. Take Two, Square Enix and From Software. Who's next?

Capcom and Namco.
That would be it i believe.

Maybe From, Remedy. Bungie and Platinum also.

MS bough obsidian and Double Fine so it's just fair to snatch some beloved studios away from them.

I guess there are a few shareholders here, right? That's the only way to explain people making grocery lists or defending an acquisition war.

Well how would those stockholders react if their sony stock would fall because ms bought many big studios and people left sony for xbox?

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Yes, but I think that's going to change. With their recent cloud partnership with MS, there's no way Sony is just going to stream games to PlayStations and not other devices in the future.

Why do you feel this way? That's a bold statement. Not trying to be snarky, it just doesn't comport with business models and shareholders as I understand them. Microsoft loves to license things out or build on competing platforms. So does Google. Sony though...I dunno. I've rarely seen it.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
"Hi, Sid Shuman here. Just writing to let all you PlayStation fans out there know that we've recently acquired Sega Games Co., Ltd and as such now own all of their intellectual properties. Have yourselves a nice day."
That is what I expect tbh (minus the part of being Sega).
They seems to have built a studio in San Diego and they just don't even acknowledge it.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Im inclined to believe yes they will make an acquisition or two if the developer is right. This has been brought up several times in the last year. Sony is no strangers to acquisitions.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Capcom and Namco.
That would be it i believe.

Maybe From, Remedy. Bungie and Platinum also.

MS bough obsidian and Double Fine so it's just fair to snatch some beloved studios away from them.

Well how would those stockholders react if their sony stock would fall because ms bought many big studios and people left sony for xbox?
What about Konami?

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony needs ammunition for the cloud-wars.

Big 3rd-Party darlings like GTA, Resident Evil and Final Fantasy would work nicely for them.