• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
I prefer new studios creation unless is a close to being bankrupt studios or a studio that works almost all their game in one platform.

JetroPT

Jun 11, 2019
That is what I expect tbh (minus the part of being Sega)).
They seems to have built a studio in San Diego and they just don't even acknowledge it.

If it is a brand new studio and not "just" a second team at Sony San Diego, I think they'll officially aanounce it when they have something to show. Same with the Manchester studio.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather they expand and double the size of their current studios. Have them create two games at a time instead of one. And build a dedicated JRPG studio in Japan.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Lol this thread and the Microsoft thread. The tone of approval is so different.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
This isnt necessarily the game studio acquisition that people are waiting, it might be more audio kinetic like acquisition

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Really don't want either MS or Sony to acquire any studios that are independent and in a good place right now.

BroodShadow

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who would sony even buy that would add value to the ecosystem? Almost every 3rd party game comes to PlayStation as is, the only reason to buy someone at this point is to make sure MS can't buy them.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Ah a guy that would have rather have had Activision continue making crappy Spider-Man games.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Exclusivity can be a great means to an end if a project doesn't have a chance at existing otherwise, but exclusivity is not inherently good, ever really.

From a development standpoint they're not as advantageous as they we're several generations ago, consoles are pretty similar to PC's these days, unless there's something special about the hardware that the game takes advantage of.

tanky

Banned
Apr 2, 2019
It's slim pickings out there with Microsoft grabbing several of the larger independent studios. You have to imagine that Sony goes after its longtime partners such as Bluepoint or Housemarque and maybe even a Supergiant. I personally think they're better off building a new team in-house. Sony also doesn't strike me as being interested in going after an IO Interactive or even Asobo. It'll be interesting to see what direction they head in.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
If Sony is indeed in the process of acquiring one or more studios they should really focus on VR and MP focused studios. When it comes to SP games they have enough.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Pointless...Konami is like a retired football player in his early fourties. Good enough for 3rd division, not good enough for the big boys.
The average playstation gamer is in his 40's so I believe that's the perfect fit.

It's slim pickings out there with Microsoft grabbing several of the larger independent studios. You have to imagine that Sony goes after its longtime partners such as Bluepoint or Housemarque and maybe even a Supergiant. I personally think they're better off building a new team in-house. Sony also doesn't strike me as being interested in going after an IO Interactive or even Asobo. It'll be interesting to see what direction they head in.
Yeah if they're looking for big studios for big AAA games it's better for Sony and the industry to just create one themselves. Like how they are doing with Uncharted. Create a separate team for that project.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Why are so many people these days opposed to exclusives or studio acquisitions? Im actually curious.
It's a complicated subject.

I always buy all of the consoles, so exclusives never really affect me in a negative way. But I can understand fans of a third-party's portfolio being disappointed that they can't play their games on the system(s) that they own. I get why someone who plays FromSoftware games on a high-end PC might be frustrated if they became PS4-exclusive tomorrow.

For me, it's a delicate topic because while I don't find myself cheering for acquisitions and I'd rather see independent developers stay independent, sometimes the potential pros outweigh the possible cons. With independent devs that are working on AA/AAA-level games, the sort of studios where it always feels like they're working from project-to-project and just getting by, I'm always a bit worried that one or two games underperforming could spell the end. With Microsoft buying Obsidian and Double Fine, I'm not happy about it specifically because they'll be making games exclusively for Microsoft, but because it gives those companies stability and security. I'd rather see them making Xbox games than no games at all.

And that's where I'd land on something like Sony buying Remedy or Platinum, for example, because they are two developers I really care about and want to see continue to make games. I wouldn't look at it is "Awesome! Look at what Sony's got to fire back at Microsoft!" and more that I'd feel better about both studios' long term prospects under the umbrella of one of the platform-holders.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Capcom and Namco.
That would be it i believe.

Maybe From, Remedy. Bungie and Platinum also.

MS bough obsidian and Double Fine so it's just fair to snatch some beloved studios away from them.

Well how would those stockholders react if their sony stock would fall because ms bought many big studios and people left sony for xbox?

I'm gonna be honest and say I wouldn't be surprised if Bluepoint and a few Japanese studios are put under sony. Nippon Ichi really fucking need someone to own them so they can fix their management problems and get them to make their games without breaking themselves everytime.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Even as someone who plays primarily on PS4 I think it'd be disappointing if they acquired a dev that usually puts out multi-platform games. That partly just feels like they're taking games away from other people. However, a studio like Bluepoint, Housemarque or even Insomniac who have generally worked very closely with Sony would be reasonable, in my opinion. Sure, not every game they've worked on has been exclusive but it feels less egregious that way. Like nothing was particularly lost when MS bought Playground Games and Undead Labs but I'm sure it was a huge boost to their studios.

Agreed. The same can be said about studios like Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, Sucker Punch, and Media Molecule, before they were acquired. The same can't be said about Ninja Theory, as they were largely a multiplatform studio before. Let alone, that the development of Bleeding Edge started long before the acquisition.

The hypocrisy is cringeworthy, when the same people claim it's anti-consumer for Sony to acquire studios, while they champion the very same thing when MS does it.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
Well, neither Sony nor Microsoft are interested in acquiring studios against the will of the studio employees. Otherwise every new acquired studio would see such a brain drain that acquiring it was just a waste of money.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Why are so many people these days opposed to exclusives or studio acquisitions? Im actually curious.

I would love to have more first party games from Sony.
Personally I only have an issue with an acquisition when it's a platform holder acquiring a healthy, multiplatform-focused studio. I'm all for platform holders saving studios from going bankrupt or locking up partner studios, but if a healthy multiplatform-focused studio gets acquired by a platform holder that just means that less people get to play the game in the way they prefer.
Well, neither Sony nor Microsoft are interested in acquiring studios against the will of the studio employees. Otherwise every new acquired studio would see such a brain drain that acquiring it was just a waste of money.
I don't think the average game developer cares about working for Sony or Microsoft as long as they get their salaries on time, don't get hugely restricted on their creative freedom and don't feel the pressure of unrealistic deadlines.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I kinda wouldn't mind Sony doing this, since I buy both consoles anyway, but I want Sony to acquire hardware designers first. Good ones. Cause this generation's PlayStations looked utter trash, and are noisy as hell. While the initial Xbox looked like a giant VCR, the Xbox One S and Xbox One X look sleek as hell, and whisper quiet.

I barely play my PS4pro these days, mostly for the exclusives. Also they kinda need to do something other than cinematic action games as exclusives.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Yea I dont really like this new push to just buy studios while disrupting the market.

Sony if I remember, tends to buy studios they have worked in the past and have good relations with. Bluepoint would be ok since they seem like the best to handle Sony remasters really well. I'm not sure they would be a big loss for ms or Nintendo. Insomniac has old ties to sony as well. It would make sense but I dont think they want that.

MS on the other hand is looking to bring up their 1st party output fast due to their game pass initiative. They want to have a constant flow of 1st party games. While this is good for them, they are nabbing anyone regardless of past work so games that have release on multiple consoles are now going to be exclusive. Kinda leaves a bad taste on ppls mouth. Their recent talks of looking for a Japanese developer is worrying.

So I dont agree with buying developers left and right. I do believe like someone posted, we are gonna regret this down the line. Sony and MS should focus on teams they have worked in the past and have history. (Mistwalker or whatever would be a good option for ms for instance)

We get pissed at exclusive time frames and content now this will just make it worse.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Why do you feel this way? That's a bold statement. Not trying to be snarky, it just doesn't comport with business models and shareholders as I understand them. Microsoft loves to license things out or build on competing platforms. So does Google. Sony though...I dunno. I've rarely seen it.

I feel this way because they already have one foot in the door. PS Now is available on PC. It used to be available on TVs and other devices as well, but didn't work well so they rolled it back. They recently released an official Remote Play app on iOS and at the Apple conference a couple weeks ago Dualshock 4 support was announced. So they're definitely setting up to be at least ready for streaming across various devices. We'll see whether they go all the way with that, but I think they're going to want a slice of the cake if Stadia and XCloud prove to be profitable.

Full disclosure: I'm a Sony shareholder.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Exclusivity can be a great means to an end if a project doesn't have a chance at existing otherwise, but exclusivity is not inherently good, ever really.

From a development standpoint they're not as advantageous as they we're several generations ago, consoles are pretty similar to PC's these days, unless there's something special about the hardware that the game takes advantage of.
You're saying bad multiplatform games are better than good exclusives essentially. I'm sure people would have preferred to have a Sony exclusive Spider-Man than a crappy multiplatform Activision one and that's just one example where it can be better.

The greatest boy

Alt account
Banned
May 31, 2019
Not sure why people continue to say third party firms that get bought out are now going to be exclusive?

With game pass on pc and their improved relationship with Nintendo, this ensures multi platform will persist in the case of ms bought studios.
On the other hand, someone taking this stance that exclusives are bad would not want Sony to acquire anyone since they are so opposed to a unified collaboration between the different console manufacturers as displayed with their content for cross servers

Oct 27, 2017
I can see Take-Two, Supermassive, Thatgamecompany, Blueprint, Insomniac, and/or Square Enix joining Sony, everything else is a mixed bag.

Big 3rd-Party darlings like GTA, Resident Evil and Final Fantasy would work nicely for them.

Add Remedy, Bungie to shopping cart.

My uncle works for Sony and he said that they're buying Tencent, Activision, EA, Google and Apple.

realistically Sony should have been got Housemarque if it was possible. wouldn't have been too much and would have gotten more mid sized games

Housemarque is a studio I definitely wouldn't mind seeing get picked up by a publisher, because they always seem to be in need of the money and I can't see how Stormdivers isn't going to bomb.

I barely play my PS4pro these days, mostly for the exclusives. Also they kinda need to do something other than cinematic action games as exclusives.

Can we try to have a conversation without the hyperbole please?!

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I could see Sony acquiring Konami and then putting Kojima back to work on Silent Hills after development with Death Stranding has wrapped up.

Nobody is going to buy Konami unless they're willing to just sell the rights to their intellectual properties. The problem with purchasing publishers, let alone a business like Konami who makes most of its money outside of gaming, is that there's a bunch of redundant stuff you get alongside it.