• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
There was a tweet by that Tidux person the other day with just the Sony logo screen tagged with #Acquisitions, lol 🤔

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
well.jpg
hehehehehe

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Largely down to the fact that Microsoft won't be changing much regarding multiplat releases. If Game Pass came to Switch the only loss for an acquisition from MS is the loss of PS Support. If Sony bought a company, they would only release those games on PS consoles.
Sony could always release certain games on pc. They already do a select few.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Sony making acquisitions is my worse nightmare. At least Microsoft guarantees the continuation of PC releases.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just because Microsoft is acquiring studios, doesn't mean Sony needs to acquire studios. Even if Microsoft wasn't pursuing Game Pass and xCloud, I still think they'd be making these acquisitions. The division was simply mismanaged and squeezed for cash for so long, that their internal studio bandwidth was severely lacking. Microsoft is playing catch-up, while Sony is already sitting on a collection of studios that's world class.
Agreed.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
If every game was available on every console there would be no competition at all and that could be a very bad thing as well.
There would be competition, but about things that actually count like how good their service is.
But that would only work in a perfect society that doesnt exist just like communism.

vastick

Banned
May 4, 2019
If they have to buy someone, let's hope that is just the studios that are already working with them like Insomniac or Kojima.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
If Sony were to introduce Game Pass like service as well as game streaming then eventually, it will come down to software catalog to drive market share. MS know this and already have a leg up when it comes to technology and Sony are responding logically.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
Oh yeah.

I hope there will be a few of new acquisitions and the best as possible.

Be part os WW studios should let them share their experience and knowledge with ND, Guerrilla, Santa Mónica... And that's never bad!!!

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony were to introduce Game Pass like service as well as game streaming then eventually, it will come down to software catalog to drive market share. MS know this and already have a leg up when it comes to technology and Sony are responding logically.

>Game Pass
> Prolific Single Player Games

Pick one.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since people keep mentioning it but Sony has actually started building a new studio that many theorize might pick up the Uncharted series. They just haven't said much about it to the public yet and probably for good reason when its still so young and hasn't actually done anything yet. They've also been greatly expanding the size of most every single AAA studio they have from moving them into much larger and better situated buildings to going on hiring sprees.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
>Game Pass
> Prolific Single Player Games

Pick one.

Why pick one? With caliber of developing houses under SIE umbrella they stand to gain significant market share by a GP like service (which they technically do). They already have PS Now which I think already allows for both streaming and local downloads (which essentially puts them ahead of the curve, albeit lacking in titles) and like MS, they can combine PS Now and PS+.

All in all, whatever they (MS, Nintendo and Sony) do, I do hope that the option to BUY games is never replaced.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Dude if Sony buys square, that would be megaton. What's the cap of square/crystal right now?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure this really means much of anything at all. Sony recently bought that audio middleware company, for example, so the role could be related to integrating that.

Must admit, it's becoming a bit tiring seeing these acquisitions turned into a sport. I used to think exclusive list wars were bad, but we may have found something worse.
It's way worse, way way worse. I'd honestly not mind if acqusitions are made organically and done in a manner that focuses on studios with deep historic working relationships with the platform holder. For example, Sony acquiring Bluepoint makes sense to me since 80% of their output has been exclusive to Sony consoles.

Looking at their studios and figuring out what we're going to see given that head of Xbox studios wants one game released for GP every 3 months isn't difficult. It doesn't sound like something structured around investing in making prolific single player games that do and should take at least 2-3 years to produce, but just having something - anything - that fills that space in the fiscal year.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
if said expansions gives them the capacity to diversify their portfolio again with other genres like the PS3 days then I am all for it

let their other studios keep on doing what they are doing and then acquire people like Sanzarou, etc... to fill in the gap left by some of the WWS leaving some genres behind like platformers

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
They can't release a Spider-man the same day on a game-pass service.

It's software sales suicide.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
of course the obvious is there

• Insomniac (if they ever finally want to be acquired)
  • KojiPro
  • BluePoint

people that they are already heavily involved with

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Doesn't Sony plan on opening it's own studios while acquiring others? It wouldn't be surprising tbh
They opened PixelOpus in 2014, Manchester in 2015 (working on a VR game), a new San Diego team sometime last year (possibly earlier, but job listings and hires indicate 2018) and Guerrilla is aiming to release a new game every 2-3 years, which would indicate a 2-team approach.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Sony already have a streaming service on PlayStation and PC with over 750 games on offer. The only reason their first party exclusives are not there is Sony choose not to. Not that they can't.

You can download/stream over 240 of those titles and only stream the rest. I wonder would they ever rebrand it Play Pass or stick with PS NOW?

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I've done a LOT of M&As from a contracting perspective, and 6-9 months really isn't that much time at all. Surprised it's a contract position... more surprised they don't already have someone in that role.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
My dream scenario would be Insomniac Games, Remedy Entertainment and a new first party studio in japan. Well let's see what Jim Ryan wants to do.

OP
OP
Sillegamer

Sillegamer

Oct 27, 2017
No insiders or Zhuge coming in to debunk any talk of acquisitions on SIE's end.

Looks like Jim could be serious.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Sony already have a streaming service on PlayStation and PC with over 750 games on offer. The only reason their first party exclusives are not there is Sony choose not to. Not that they can't.

You can download/stream over 240 of those titles and only stream the rest. I wonder would they ever rebrand it Play Pass or stick with PS NOW?

Yea, I mentioned that in the next post. What I was unaware of is the fact that it is available on PC and the number of games on offer. Given how little I know or am interested in the service despite knowing much more about Game Pass (even though I spend majority of time playing on PS4) goes to show that MS has done a phenomenal job or marketing it (although, IIRC, the revenue from PS+ and PS Now is greater than the other platforms). Personally, I was never drawn to PSNow because of the price especially as a PS+ member. MS has continually kept up one deal or another to reduce the subscription fee to ridiculously small amounts.

GIven next gen is being designed to be a seamless transition for userbase as well as providing Sony a tabula rasa for their online strategy, it would make the most sense to create a package that includes both Plus and Now (whilst explicitly highlighting the features and actively expanding and supporting them) at a discounted price and/or a monthly subscription like MS and their Game Pass Ultimate.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I'd like SOMEONE to buy Housemarque.

Heartbreaking to hear them publicly say they can no longer afford to make the games they want to make.
I'd love to see Sony buy Housmarque so they could have a big budget to make whatever they want....
or Resogun 2

Housemarque, Bluepoint, and Kojima are the only studios I think would be ok for Sony to acquire. Studios like From Software and Insomniac are doing just fine without being owned by a large publisher.

Housemarque is struggling, Bluepoint pretty much exclusively makes Sony remasters, and Kojima is already treated as 1st Party, so they just make sense for Sony to buy.

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
I mainly game on Sony consoles and see this as bad news. It adds no value to me if they buy a third party developer that was already releasing their games on PS4 and only hurts my fellow gamers that play on PC/xbox etc.

If anything I wish Sony would release more of their games on PC. Something like Dreams especially would be huge because I find the community to still be small compared to the potential that game has.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
So much concern here but MS was literally cheered by era on when buying up studios. Tsk tsk. I never really liked any corporate buying up studios.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
I'm super confused about how this job posting implies they are acquiring a studio. It seems like a generically worded Managerial posting.