• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tareqsalah

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It was inevitable, i feel like microsoft acquired these small studios to test the reaction of the gaming public. They announce buying studios as if they were announcing games.

Sony won't take the risk of microsoft suddenly buying big studios and publishers.

Oct 25, 2017
I mainly game on Sony consoles and see this as bad news. It adds no value to me if they buy a third party developer that was already releasing their games on PS4 and only hurts my fellow gamers that play on PC/xbox etc.

If anything I wish Sony would release more of their games on PC. Something like Dreams especially would be huge because I find the community to still be small compared to the potential that game has.

Sony's main goal in making games is bring players to their platform. Porting to PC goes completely against that. Dreams is in limited access beta. Too early to judge any type of user base.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Sony won't be buying big studios. Firstly, it just wouldn't be cost effective. Secondly, most successful studios won't want to be sold anyway. The best idea is what MS have done. Buy small to medium AA devs who show potential but are always on the line financially and give them the budget to make a proper AAA game.

Sony seem to be going more down the route of expanding their existing studios. All means the same really, increasing exclusives output. If anything Sony's way may even be easier logistically. All they lose is that big e3 'LOOK WHO WE BOUGHT' moment, which to be fair is a great hype moment but hardly going to make or break a company.

TheSantry

Dec 25, 2017
It's likely that these would be defensive acquisitions. Independent studios with a long relationship with SIE like Insomniac Games, Quantic Dream and Kojima Productions are likely purchases imo.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I can only imagine the furious bids From Software is getting from Sony, Microsoft, Bandai Namco and who knows what other companies. If they resist temptation it will be a rare thing to see.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's way worse, way way worse. I'd honestly not mind if acqusitions are made organically and done in a manner that focuses on studios with deep historic working relationships with the platform holder. For example, Sony acquiring Bluepoint makes sense to me since 80% of their output has been exclusive to Sony consoles.

Looking at their studios and figuring out what we're going to see given that head of Xbox studios wants one game released for GP every 3 months isn't difficult. It doesn't sound like something structured around investing in making prolific single player games that do and should take at least 2-3 years to produce, but just having something - anything - that fills that space in the fiscal year.
What are you talking about? Sony is releasing more than that on average, even this year with it being a down year. Yes games take time. But with as many studios as Ms owns now they should be able to get 4 games released per year.

You shouldn't be so concerned.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It's likely that these would be defensive acquisitions. Independent studios with a long relationship with SIE like Insomniac Games, Quantic Dream and Kojima Productions are likely purchases imo.

Quantic Dream was already bought.

I can only imagine the furious bids From Software is getting from Sony, Microsoft, Bandai Namco and who knows what other companies. If they resist temptation it will be a rare thing to see.

FROM too :p

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Is it sustainable? I think that is the question. Someone already made a really good comment on this. On mobile so I cant pull it. Someone should find it

It wouldn't be hard at all to get a game released every 3 months. It's basically what they already do most years. The hardest part will just be logistically spacing them out so you don't get a barren spell with nothing then 2-3 coming out in a 3-4 month gap.

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
There's a crazy amount of speculation in this thread. Some of it outrageous in nature, like Square Enix or Take Two being bought.

However, Jim Ryan DID say there would be acquisitions. Of that much we can be sure. So for the people saying it's not going to happen just because Microsoft bought studios as well, better steel yourselves.

Not that I think they will be mega huge studios of course. But some medium or small sized ones will likely get bought by Sony. We'll find out which ones soon I reckon.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Yeah right, we'll see then

Well large companies always look to make mergers/acquisitions. It's a normal part of capitalism. I just don't think them posting this position now would imply they are currently in the middle of acquiring someone. You would want the position filled to handle a merger or acquisition when it happens. You wouldn't necessarily hire someone at the same time to handle it. It's usually managed by someone already in house.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't know why companies likes to buy studios, but rarely buy IP's. You can't buy Konami but you can make a deal to make a Castlevania/Silent Hill/Suikoden‎/whatever.

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
Sony's main goal in making games is bring players to their platform. Porting to PC goes completely against that. Dreams is in limited access beta. Too early to judge any type of user base.
Sony's main goal is making money. What you are saying is an over simplification of their goals. They could make more money by releasing some games on other platforms while keeping a core set of defining games on their own platforms. I'm not saying they should release Uncharted on PC. But there are certain games that would work well on PC. They are definitely testing the waters with Detroit.

Look what Microsoft is doing with Halo MCC on Switch. If the rumor is true, I find it very clever to release it on Switch and not on PS4 which overlaps a lot more in terms of population.

Yes it is early days for Dreams and I'm sure Sony is keeping it exclusive in case it blows up at release. But for now seeing such an AMAZING game having less than 100k sales is heartbreaking. And yes it is partly due to releasing on a single platform.

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why companies likes to buy studios, but rarely buy IP's. You can't buy Konami but you can make a deal to make a Castlevania/Silent Hill/Suikoden‎/whatever.

Because companies like Konami rarely sell their IP's. For years there were rumours of Sony buying Crash and Spyro from Activision but it never happened cause Activision didn't want to sell.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
My dream scenario would be Insomniac Games, Remedy Entertainment and a new first party studio in japan. Well let's see what Jim Ryan wants to do.

Remedy Entertainment is certainly a talented studio. The biggest issue with them, and it's something they're self-aware about and seemingly restructured their company to rectify, is that they can have some pretty long development cycles. If they get that under control, then they're an absolute world class developer. Having said that, if Sony is truly acquiring studios, would you really want it to be Remedy Entertainment. What is Remedy best at? 3rd person narrative action games, and Sony is already overflowing with developers who do just that.

If I'm Sony, I'm wanting to diversify my internal capabilities. Turtle Rock (Co-Op FPS) , 4A Games (Narrative FPS), Techland (Open World Survival Horror FPS), Dontnod (Narrative Adventure), Hazelight (Action Adventure), Larian Games (RPG), Supermassive Games (Interactive Adventure Games), etc. These developers are world class and would add some much needed diversity to the games they're internally responsible for outputting. I don't understand the desire for Sony to acquire studios that are carbon copies of what they already have...

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
acquisitions are expected, curious who they'll pick up

my first guess would be kojipro, doubt insomniac would ever sell.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Meanwhile Microsoft will be making extra millions upon millions from PC players who would never buy games on Xbox or Playstation. Who seems smarter?

OP
OP
Sillegamer

Sillegamer

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why Tidux is reading this thread, tweeting about acquisitions, and retweeting this thread in Twitter.

If you know something, say it.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
In the unlikely event Sony does acquire Square Enix I want it to be noted I called it on Saturday! :)

*puts on thinking cap*

Sony skips E3, freeing up their slot
Square Enix takes their slot
Sony looking to make some acquisitions and some "sources" seem to hint that Sony may have done one.

🤔

Well, I think it's only logical to conclude that Sony has purchased Square Enix and will walk out on "their" stage at E3 to announce it in the megatons to end all megaton.

The logic is undeniable 😉

Okokok, maybe I didn't get the part about Sony walking out on the SE stage right... but the rest of it! ;)

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I'd like Sanzaru and have them work on Sly Sequels!
Meanwhile Microsoft will be making extra millions upon millions from PC players who would never buy games on Xbox or Playstation. Who seems smarter?
This is such a stupid argument! Meanwhile Konami is making millions on Pachinko machines, maybe Sony should also do that?

Oct 27, 2017
My uncle, whose name is Uncle Sony and he works for Sony, told me that they're buying Nintendo and Xbox Game Studios. If I'm wrong about this mods you can ban my main account, which is under the name Bishop89, and I apologise for spreading lies.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
My uncle, whose name is Uncle Sony and he works for Sony, told me that they're buying Nintendo and Xbox Game Studios. If I'm wrong about this mods you can ban my main account, which is under the name Bishop89, and I apologise for spreading lies.

But my uncle at MS said they are buying Kirby for 1 billions dollars

A poster used to say that here, I was anxious for his explaining thread

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure this really means much of anything at all. Sony recently bought that audio middleware company, for example, so the role could be related to integrating that.

Combine this post with mine on what this job posting actually means. Temp job to integrate.

You don't hire an excel junky on contract (no reason to stay silent) for a massive acquisition.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of whether this is signaling acquisitions or not, acquisitions are going to keep happening rather rapidly. As you've seen in the Film & TV a space, streaming has led to a lot of consolidation. The goal is to lock people to your storefront and the best way to do that is with a treasure trove of content.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
What are you talking about? Sony is releasing more than that on average, even this year with it being a down year. Yes games take time. But with as many studios as Ms owns now they should be able to get 4 games released per year.

You shouldn't be so concerned.
This was in response to as someone else described "prolific single-player games" not just any game.

Instead of making this about concern how about dialling in on the context? You are literally the one that claimed Sony only has 2 big first-party games this year and referred to it as them "resting on their laurels". You claimed Sony won't have AAA first-party exclusives for the first year or so of the next-generation. What's it gonna be? Now, we're on the verge of a new generation. Sony doesn't tend to release the kind of absurd quality story-driven games every 3 months for the first few years of a generation that we are currently getting. That kind of thing takes time and investment and refined ideas from previous games.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
SmoggyDelayedBlackfly-size_restricted.gif

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Housemarque is not going to be bought. They might make excellent games, they don't sell. They make genres that aren't in anymore. If Sony bought them, they'd close down the studio within 3 years and people here would bitch. They need a studio who's capable of given them a genre that sells. The only non super high selling studio Sony is going to keep us MM

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
Not a big fan of acquisitions. Doesn't matter if it's Sony or MS. Or Nintendo if that ever happens.

However, I understand that it may be the only way some of these companies survive in today's video game market.

Still sucks.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
This is such a stupid argument! Meanwhile Konami is making millions on Pachinko machines, maybe Sony should also do that?
I'm talking about leaving money on the table by ignoring the platform, and this is your best argument against it?

Please, tell me why you are opposed to Sony releasing its exclusives on PC.