• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a world of difference between thinking it's shitty and annoyed by it and thinking it's immoral.

Maybe, but my original post specified about the immoral bit, and you responded that it depended on the state of the company.

In any case, thinking it's shitty is weird too, but to each his own.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe, but my original post specified about the immoral bit, and you responded that it depended on the state of the company.

In any case, thinking it's shitty is weird too, but to each his own.
If thinking a mega corp taking options away from consumers (especially in cases when it's completely unnecessary, a healthy studio) is shitty is weird I'll happy be weird.
Those wanking and praying "X buys Y for the meltdowns" are weird.
Those trying to justify 1 mega corp doing and crying over the possibility of another mega corp also doing are weird too, you are either fine with it or not.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If thinking a mega corp taking options away from consumers (especially in cases when it's completely unnecessary, a healthy studio) is shitty is weird I'll happy be weird.
Those wanking and praying "X buys Y for the meltdowns" are weird.
Those trying to justify 1 mega corp doing and crying over the possibility of another mega corp also doing are weird too, you are either fine with it or not.

I think just about everything you list here is odd behavior. As is reducing a company trying to improve the value of its products with exclusive content to simply taking options away from consumers.

But again, to each his own.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I think just about everything you list here is odd behavior. As is reducing a company trying to improve the value of its products with exclusive content to simply taking options away from consumers.

But again, to each his own.
Oh, I get that, at the end of the day taking something from another is more noticeable and cheaper than making your own equivalent, but there's less shitty ways to do it than just buying X and Y and locking them away (I only really consider buying perfectly healthy, mostly multiplat studios as shitty though, studios who pretty much just make exclusives or those really struggling I'm fine with).

But yeah, pointless to keep going as we won't change each other's mind.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ, do you guys seriously want all game studios to be owned by the same 3-4 big tech companies and Nintendo?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, does everything have to turn into console war BS? Yes, there's a lot of excitement in Microsoft growing their first party capabilities. Why? Because years of mismanagement and budget constraints reduced their first party output to an absolute joke. Sony and Nintendo already have world class development studios and absolutely stellar first party output. Microsoft does not, so obviously it's exciting to see an entity go from zero to hero. It's newsworthy because they're making so many moves. You want everyone to ignore the fact that they've acquired 7 studios, built two additional studios from the ground up, and beefed up all existing and recently acquired studios so you can sleep soundly at night?

Ultimately, competition is good for the industry, and gamers win when all platforms are firing on all cylinders.

Well said.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ, do you guys seriously want all game studios to be owned by the same 3-4 big tech companies and Nintendo?

Yes. Very much so. Mostly by Sony so we can continue our world domination on everyone else. Pick a side Spyder, or we will do it for you.. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
I don't mind studio acquisitions between Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo as long as it majorly benefits the developer being acquired. I wouldn't be surprised by Kojima Productions, Bluepoint, or Remedy being acquired eventually (especially with how much of a budget it seems Kojima and Remedy seem to require for most of their titles).

Shadow_FFVI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Square Enix would fit very well within Sony's roster of studios. They lack on the JRPG department. Square could also benefit from the technology and knowhow that are shared among the first party studios.

Deleted member 42641

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 25, 2018
Square being bought by sony seems extremely major but in no way would I be against it.

I think Square games would only benefit from being owned by sony

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
Sony should look at:

Remedy
IO Interactive
Insomniac Games
Kojima Productions
Techland
Bigben Interactive
Playdead

Please, buy Kojima Productions and give him the land of freedom

Last edited:

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
Hypothetically if game streaming took off, MS and Sony can no longer rely on third parties the way they do now.

Producing your own content will be paramount.

EA, Ubisoft, and Activision will almost become competitors, releasing their games or subscription services on 20 devices. While big players, Amazon, Apple, and Google, will offer the same.

All trying to strike deals with smaller publishers or independent devs to prop up their services.

Thats why, baring similar technical performace, the differating factor will be original content.

And it needs to be consistent, if you can no longer rely on third parties to shore up your dry spells.

MS is positioning themselves to release an original game every quarter, while acquiring devs that offer variety.

And one thing you know about Sony, very forward thinking. You have to assume they see where the industry "could go" and wants to get ahead before it's to late.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the remedy idea

Sony is already strong in the third person action narrative genre

if anything Ready at Dawn should be given another chance

as for what studio's they should build and/or acquire? it should be studios that do genres that they lack or are weak on with multiple IPs and/or financial support to evolve the said studio being the reasoning

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
If the upcoming Predator game by Illfonic does well I could see Sony trying to pick them up. Would fit with Shawn Layden's desire for a more MP content and probably wouldn't cost too much.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
And the peopel that play on ps4, dont have the rigth to play does games?

Aquisitions are bad. There is no exception.
I don't really agree. I'd rather each console maker have a unique lineup of software complimented by strong 3rd party support. Despite being mostly a PS4 player, I thought the acquisitions MS made were great and will pay off in the long run. I'm more interested to see if other 1st party publishers explore offering some 3rd party content. I mean, Sony should totally release Spider-Man for the XB1 now, I like that MS released Cuphead on the switch, they'd probably release it on the PS4 if they could. Its just something they all should explore as another revenue source and additional relevancy as a publisher.

ft0263a

Alt account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Then lol if you really think no one here gave MS flak or crying about them buying Studios.
Let me clarify then, when Microsoft DID aquifer more studios, it was meant with praise. When insiders hinted at Microsoft gaining more, people speculated not only on small studies, but large ones that didn't need to be bought as well. The idea of Sony acquiring studios seems to be getting a lot more hate compared to Microsoft. I didn't mean to say Microsoft got no flak, they did. And again, I don't think acquisitions are good for gaming.