• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Mod edit:
What Kodera is saying here is not that Sony will have a different approach towards GaaS but that their "vision" for the PlayStation brand as a whole is different.

Reassuring news. Most of us figured this was the case but it's always good to hear it from the suits. Obviously assuming here that he means they aren't going to buck their current trend and start nickel and diming us in all their big games.

Lock if old, didn't see anywhere.

Mod edit:

Last edited by a moderator:

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, lootcrates in singleplayer games aren't exactly a major profit industry, so I'm not sure why they would bother with that. Warner Bros is just actually crazy.

Doesn't Uncharted 4's multiplayer have lootcrates though?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I think Sony is going to keep doing their expansion DLCs kinda like with Left Behind and Lost Legacy.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Yeah, not surprising. You can quite see that GaaS is not a big part of SCI's vision in their known publishing portfolio. There's not really much point to shake up the status quo when the current strategy seems to be working out so well for them. It'd be more news worthy if they said otherwise.

Oct 27, 2017
He didn't say that PS has a different vision for GaaS he said that they have a different vision for making games.

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
Well, this is the way they can capture different preference of gamer too.

Glad they confirm the vision.

Oct 27, 2017
that's good. To be honest I don't mind GAAS if the product release cheaper or for free. Buy Battlefront 2 for 20 bucks at launch and then loot box us to hell, ok. But ask us to pay 60 bucks and then fuck us some more...not cool.

OP
OP
Aokiji

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Warner Bros is just actually crazy
i still can't believe they really put those in a SP only game like that.

They'll just put them in the multiplayer modes of their games.
this is true, but given that that's like 2 games a year, it's probably like "eh" to them.

He didn't say that PS has a different vision for GaaS he said that they have a different vision for making games.
"Please just don't go crazy with the "Games as a Service" thing"
"About the issue of "Games as a Service", do not worry about it. @PlayStation's vision is totally different."

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Keep up the good work with those single player games. Even with the free money you get in Uncharted 4 I still didn't buy dlc.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
that's good. To be honest I don't mind GAAS if the product release cheaper or for free. Buy Battlefront 2 for 20 bucks at launch and then loot box us to hell, ok. But ask us to pay 60 bucks and then fuck us some more...not cool.

You do know $60 is rather cheap all things considered. Making a title costs considerably more than it did on PS3/360. You shouldn't ask a publisher to sell you a AAA title for $20, you're fucking them at that point.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they stay strong, their single player games are why PlayStation has been so good.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
we'll see

psn was free once

I know what you mean but things are looking promising at least. I think most of the major Sony games on the horizon are single player so if there are any changes to their strategy coming, it wont be for quite a while yet.

And thank God too because single player experiences is what I love and I'm glad to see Sony (and Nintendo for that matter) still largely catering to that group of gamers.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
The title of the thread sounds weird and different from what he actually wanted to say in my opinion.

It kind of implies that Sony will try a different kind of GaaS while his actual comment is mostly to reject that kind of game completely.

Idk.

Good on Sony. I'm glad to hear.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I mean their first big GAAS game in GT Sport doesn't even have microtransactions, so I believe them.
But saying that Naught Dog's MP modes have some of the worse microtransaction though, so it's not like they are above shitty microtransactions either.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I expect they going to have some of that stuff in there MP modes.
Still it's great to know that Sony will keep on with the great SP games.

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
but they sold uncharted coins and put loot boxes in UC4. TLoU had actual pay to win DLC. They charged like $100+ for a car in gran turismo.

are they saying this because the Sony games meme is actually real and they're just focusing on open world single player games?

sony, imo, still doesn't have a prime multiplayer game they can consistent money off besides GT. TLoU is the one with the most potential weirdly.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The title of the thread sounds weird and different from what he actually wanted to say in my opinion.

It kind of implies that Sony will try a different kind of GaaS while his actual comment is mostly to reject that kind of game completely.

Idk.

Good on Sony. I'm glad to hear.
Yeah, you can come up with either of these:

1. There will be no GaaS at all
2. There will be GaaS but without all of the 'issues'

Furyous

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I wouldn't mind a totally transparent GaaS model without any of the controversial items associated with GaaS. This means no one day one retailer specific DLC but some concrete plan to support the game world two years after launch. Devs aren't nerfing the game to get you to buy more stuff but incentivizing you with strong quality content and optional cosmetics.

It's the difference between the Witcher 3 and EA's battlefront as an example. If this is where games are headed at least make it so day one customers don't feel ripped off two weeks later.

OP
OP
Aokiji

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
"about the issue of games as a service...playstation's vision is totally different." where is the confusion with the thread title? he's literally saying they have a different vision for GaaS?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking just MP modes in single player games.

Ppl still play TLoU MP to this day. It's that good.

Granted the mt in it and uncharted can be irritating.

Oct 25, 2017
"about the issue of games as a service...playstation's vision is totally different." where is the confusion with the thread title? he's literally saying they have a different vision for GaaS?
The tweet is a reply to someone asking saying to not go crazy with GaaS. He replies, not to worry about it. Playstation's vision is totally different.

That's saying that their vision for games is totally different than GaaS. Not that their vision for GaaS is different.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully he orders the dice roll micro transactions removed from Everybody's Golf then, as it's damaged many people's feelings about that series.

Oct 27, 2017
I like that he has a Twitter account and seem to read what people say to him, good way to keep contact with consumers/gamers/fans (And I already like what he's saying, it's reassuring because nobody's know this guy).

BitByDeath

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Different vision can mean different version, where as he is stating GaaS is not in vision.

Oct 26, 2017
Well of course. Single player is Sony's bread and butter, more so than nearly every other publisher, that's never gonna be in danger. Although I do wonder what their take on GaaS will be like going forward

Prophaniti

Oct 28, 2017
Right... I guess shutting down servers for older games is a much better experience than before. Or did you actually think they spent PSN subscription money on PSN?
Is this a joke? You really don't think it's improved since? I really don't care what old game servers they shut down. It has to end sometime.