• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What bothers me is that they don't re-use these Amie/Refresh/Camp animations in the actual battles. You've got a set of Sleeping Animations for Amie, yet they never see use in battles when your pokemon is set to sleep.

tumblr_ophi0xwmwu1ttdkobo1_400.gif

1523559321900.gif

c8b.gif

178.gif

BestLightHarborseal-small.gif

Yes I know not every pokemon has their animations, but you could use them for those that do.
I wonder why they were never used in battle, there was a lot of animations in Amie never used in battle. I was always confused about it.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
What bothers me is that they don't re-use these Amie/Refresh/Camp animations in the actual battles. You've got a set of Sleeping Animations for Amie, yet they never see use in battles when your pokemon is set to sleep.

tumblr_ophi0xwmwu1ttdkobo1_400.gif

1523559321900.gif

c8b.gif

178.gif

BestLightHarborseal-small.gif

Yes I know not every pokemon has their animations, but you could use them for those that do.
I think that's due to 1. It not fitting and 2. The wake up animations are too long and they don't want to prolong battles with animations

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
It would look kind of stupid for them to be taking hits while laying on the floor. Even if you added a unique sleep-recoil animation for every model I can see why it would not look good.

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
lol doesnt hitmontop continue to move back and forth while he is asleep? Feels like splitting hairs to say would be any worse

Oct 28, 2017
California
I haven't played a mainline Pokemon game since......Ruby I wanna say? There seems to be a lot of hostility surrounding Sword and Shield, but since it's been so long since I've played a mainline Pokemon game I still really want to get it (although I do gotta say, if Bulbasaur isn't in the game that might be a deal-break for me lol).

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played a mainline Pokemon game since......Ruby I wanna say? There seems to be a lot of hostility surrounding Sword and Shield, but since it's been so long since I've played a mainline Pokemon game I still really want to get it (although I do gotta say, if Bulbasaur isn't in the game that might be a deal-break for me lol).
Reception was very positive before the Dexit issue.

For someone like you, a lapsed fan, it won't change a thing since you don't have older Pokemon to import. It is basically the same situation than in Ruby but the roster is going to be way larger this time around.

Feb 22, 2019
Reception was very positive before the Dexit issue.

For someone like you, a lapsed fan, it won't change a thing since you don't have older Pokemon to import. It is basically the same situation than in Ruby but the roster is going to be way larger this time around.
It does change a thing even if you don't have anything to import. Other people would have been able to import your favourites and traded them, but in SwSh they can't.

Feb 22, 2019
Good point, you would be able to do that in the postgame right ?

Regardless, it is exactly the same situation as their last game, Ruby.
The newer games let you trade for Pokémon not in the regional dex immediately when you can trade.

Not exactly like Ruby since that still allowed you to get all Pokémon by trade. After FRLG were released, but still.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Okay for real I'm getting fucking sick of cunts like DistantKingdom and SilphSpectre constantly controlling the narrative and trying to push their shit-ass conspiracy theories, especially about Little Town Hero somehow being more of a focus than Pokémon (even though Toby Fox referred to it as a "very small team" and it's a cheap downloadable game)

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay for real I'm getting fucking sick of cunts like DistantKingdom and SilphSpectre constantly controlling the narrative and trying to push their shit-ass conspiracy theories, especially about Little Town Hero somehow being more of a focus than Pokémon (even though Toby Fox referred to it as a "very small team" and it's a small downloadable game)

Their voices are getting smaller and smaller as the release approach. They now only appeal to their niche community of vicious dev haters on Reddit, those who were already going frame by frame on every new second of footage to fuel more their conspiracy theories. They will completely disappear once the game launches, it's not worth wasting your energy on them.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Okay for real I'm getting fucking sick of cunts like DistantKingdom and SilphSpectre constantly controlling the narrative and trying to push their shit-ass conspiracy theories, especially about Little Town Hero somehow being more of a focus than Pokémon (even though Toby Fox referred to it as a "very small team" and it's a cheap downloadable game)
To be fair, that's due to VGC saying it and they are insisting their translation is correct, so the question is the context. (Especially as I've been told Pokémon is their key focus still and really Game Freak allowing the narrative of "Our biggest game isn't our focus" ahead of the release of their biggest game ever is just insane)

It could easily be a high focus but not removing people from Pokémon. Just because they have some focus on it doesn't mean Pokémon is on the backburner and the Gear Projects are the most important.

I think this is part of why Game Freak are to talk about Gear Project in their 30th anniversary stream next week, to quash the misinformation

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It would look kind of stupid for them to be taking hits while laying on the floor. Even if you added a unique sleep-recoil animation for every model I can see why it would not look good.

Don't worry, the attacks already don't come out of the mouthes of the pokemon, so not connecting directly to pokemon lying on the floor would match up with what we've seen so far.

(Gee, hope they have fixed this since July)

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Don't worry, the attacks already don't come out of the mouthes of the pokemon, so not connecting directly to pokemon lying on the floor would match up with what we've seen so far.

(Gee, hope they have fixed this since July)

That's clearly a mistake as the animation seems to be placed to where Charizard's mouth was at the start of the animation, not the end of it.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's clearly a mistake as the animation seems to be placed to where Charizard's mouth was at the start of the animation, not the end of it.

I hope it's a mistake that's fixed for the release of the game, considering Leon's probably going to be using a Dynamaxed Charizard in your big battle against him.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
The attacks have stuff like that happen because they can't really have individual attack animations for so many monsters. That's an insane amount of work.

It's not 1998 anymore and there's only 151 of these things.

There's also the fact that attacks have to be visibly recognizable across all Pokémon; Hydro Pump needs to look like Hydro Pump whether it's used by Gyarados, Blastoise, or whomever.

Last edited:

Cieviz

Jan 11, 2018
I would prefer having 150 pokemon (new and old) with good animation, good story, good character design and the lost feeling to be on an adventure.
Instead we got this mix shit all togheter

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
It's almost like the demands required to create all that are more intense now in 2019 than they were way back when, this necessitating trade offs, or something.

Feb 22, 2019
The attacks have stuff like that happen because they can't really have individual attack animations for so many monsters. That's an insane amount of work.

It's not 1998 anymore and there's only 151 of these things.

There's also the fact that attacks have to be visibly recognizable across all Pokémon; Hydro Pump needs to look like Hydro Pump whether it's used by Gyarados, Blastoise, or whomever.
What does rigging an animation to the correct place have to do with individual attack animations?

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
What does rigging an animation to the correct place have to do with individual attack animations?

I'm referring more to stuff like how people complain that attacks don't fire specifically out of their mouths, just in front of it, or how people have a bugbear about things like Blastoise not shooting it's water attacks out of its cannons.

I see now what you and Joe were actually talking about and I was rather off, but I think it's still a useful point in general.

Feb 22, 2019
I'm referring more to stuff like how people complain that attacks don't fire specifically out of their mouths, just in front of it, or how people have a bugbear about things like Blastoise not shooting it's water attacks out of its cannons.

I see now what you and Joe were actually talking about and I was rather off, but I think it's still a useful point in general.
I do think it would be nice to get some special firing animations, like having all water attacks coming from Blastoise's cannons but have the rest of the beam look normal. PBR does that by changing camera.
Although I guess it would be a bit weird if everyone else just shoots it from in front of their mouths.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol how?

None of these features do anything for me. Maybe I'm too old school, I don't care about interacting with Pokemon, camping, customizing my char etc. Only stuff that directly affect the main gameplay loop excite me like changes in battle system, exploration or catching Pokemon.
You and me both. I don't care for shit outside of battles, leveling and enhancing abilities or stats. I never cared for Pokémon: The Sims.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I do think it would be nice to get some special firing animations, like having all water attacks coming from Blastoise's cannons but have the rest of the beam look normal. PBR does that by changing camera.
Although I guess it would be a bit weird if everyone else just shoots it from in front of their mouths.

Again, attacks need to be consistent across all Pokémon so things are as identifiable to as many people as possible. If Blastoise's Hydro Pump is different from, say, Samurott's? Kids are gonna get confused.

Presentation is important, but so is accessibility and clearly communicating to the audience how things work.

Feb 22, 2019
Again, attacks need to be consistent across all Pokémon so things are as identifiable to as many people as possible. If Blastoise's Hydro Pump is different from, say, Samurott's? Kids are gonna get confused.

Presentation is important, but so is accessibility and clearly communicating to the audience how things work.
That's why I said make the rest of the beam look normal. Just like PBR does. Also, the game does tell you what the attack is.

Oct 27, 2017

The hypothetical easily confused/frustrated kid used at the crux of every Gamefreak defense strikes again!

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
The hypothetical easily confused/frustrated kid used at the crux of every Gamefreak defense strikes again!

I mean, I'm coming at this from the perspective of someone who was an autistic a kid who was actually easily confused by stuff like this - especially by different attacks in this very series that were depicted too similarly - when he was younger, so I don't know what to tell you.

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully auto-save is a thing you can turn off, though considering save is still an option it probably is. I also hope there's a better way to soft reset than LGPE as that took way too much time.

Just going to ignore the animations armchair gamedev discussion rehash #349 because no matter how hard anyone tries you're either preaching to the choir or falling on covered ears and there's better things you could be doing, although I will say I'd like the flying (literally) Pokemon idle animations from Amiefresh Camp to be used for battles more than the ones currently used. I know why they are, it's a visual indicator that Earthquake won't work, but I still miss some of the classic idles that still exist (Zapdos, Xatu, Celebi...). The sleep animations would require a lot of work to get them battle ready as the "wake up" for those is usually long and "cute" which doesn't really work for battles (as well as leading into the amie idle which every Pokemon has instead of the battle idle).

With the news that Ditto is back I'm eagerly awaiting the GTS rush of trying to get international Ditto with good stats. That's always a fun period and will be required for most pre-Home team building, although I won't be trying too hard for Gen 8 utilities as my synchro Pokemon is confirmed (Mew, but Gallade is too for the less-obsessive) as well as Ditto itself now being confirmed. Hopefully the niche the legendary Pokemon will occupy is figured out quickly this time around so I can get to SRing for the right stats sooner than things like Tapu Koko and Lunala last time.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The wake up animations could work by making them play after the menus are already back, rather than stopping everything for them.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of modern JRPGs let's you just skip animations with a button press or have an option to deactivate them if they're getting too long.
This has been an addition even in something like the Trails series which generally sells around 200k-300k on average. The newest titles were even ~150k last I checked.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
r/Pokemon has always been one of my least favorite places to discuss Pokemon, and it's only gotten worse with the toxicity over Sword and Shield

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Lots of modern JRPGs let's you just skip animations with a button press or have an option to deactivate them if they're getting too long.
This has been an addition even in something like the Trails series which generally sells around 200k-300k on average. The newest titles were even ~150k last I checked.
Fast forward is also an option, like in Bravely Default where just pushing a button ups the battle speed, and it can go up multiply times. People may say it looks stupid, but so does Blastoise firing Hydro Pump from his forehead.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Good point, you would be able to do that in the postgame right ?

Regardless, it is exactly the same situation as their last game, Ruby.
No Ruby still had all the Pokémon in it. Even had a proto-National Dex that would unlock if a Pokémon not in the Hoenn Dex was traded in.

The older console games handled this well enough by defining anchor points on the models for moves to come out of.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I have a question about the physical edition of Sword & Shield Double Pack.

Does it come with an individual plastic case for each of the cartridges, as if you bought them separately, or do the cartridges come loose in the big cardboard box? I'm planning to buy it with my cousin just to have the codes, but if we're not getting a case each, we better buy them separately.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
With the news that Ditto is back I'm eagerly awaiting the GTS rush of trying to get international Ditto with good stats. That's always a fun period and will be required for most pre-Home team building

I was so disappointed when I saw Ditto.
Here I was, hoping they fixed they breeding system... I swear if they don't put a better way to get perfect IVs....

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At least a whole new bunch of first timers/casual returners get to learn the dirty, gooey truth behind most people's complete Pokédexs. It's almost a rite of passage to learn a bulk of the Pokémon that exist for players are the results of Dittos having no standards.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Regional Pokédex calculations

Kanto: 151 (RGBYFRLG) | 153 (Let's Go)
Johto: 251 (GSC) | 256 (HGSS)
Hoenn: 202 (RSE) | 211 (ORAS)
Sinnoh: 151 (DP) | 210 (Platinum)
Unova: 156 (BW) | 301 (B2W2)
Kalos: 454 (XY)
Alola: 302 (SM) | 403 (USUM)
Galar: 240 (and counting)

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Regional Pokédex calculations

Kanto: 151 (RGBYFRLG) | 153 (Let's Go)
Johto: 251 (GSC) | 256 (HGSS)
Hoenn: 202 (RSE) | 211 (ORAS)
Sinnoh: 151 (DP) | 210 (Platinum)
Unova: 156 (BW) | 301 (B2W2)
Kalos: 454 (XY)
Alola: 302 (SM) | 403 (USUM)
Galar: 240 (and counting)
Kalos still with the GOAT Pokédex. Alola was less but they had good type spread. You could snag at least one of each type on the first island.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kalos still with the GOAT Pokédex. Alola was less but they had good type spread. You could snag at least one of each type on the first island.
The niche that I liked for Alola was each island was a de facto little regional Pokédex with, like you said, a good spread of types, but also overall quality. The later islands had to have higher levels because it's an RPG, but all four felt pretty balanced between easy-to-train low stat Pokémon, up pseudo legendarily.

Doesn't gen5 have the most confirmed pokemon so far?
Yeah, 50 or so, but given how Charizard is confirmed, there is at least ground to speculate the Venasaur and Blastoise lines are also in there somewhere, which would put Gen 1 on about 50 or so too. Looking back at that image that got posted back a few pages, Sawk is confirmed but Throh is not, ouch!

Last edited:

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
My expectations are between 400 and 500 so the biggest or second biggest Regional Dex of all time