• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Just watched the trailer, right off the bat Snorlax and Tyranitar should be larger than they are (weird because Snorlax was scaled properly in Let's Go), Rhyperior as well.

vshiHoF.png

IfFgdVY.png

jXW3Ap0.jpg

I know that Wailord is getting gimped in this game. I have no hope for having scaled Pokemon even when there's no longer a screen restriction like with the 3DS.

Oct 29, 2017
You'd think a game with a size changing gimmick would put a bit more effort into properly scaling things.
Pokémon sizes.
Arcanine is 6 feet 3 inches, Gastrodon is 2 feet 11 inches.
Just watched the trailer, right off the bat Snorlax and Tyranitar should be larger than they are (weird because Snorlax was scaled properly in Let's Go), Rhyperior as well.
vshiHoF.png

IfFgdVY.png

jXW3Ap0.jpg

I know that Wailord is getting gimped in this game. I have no hope for having scaled Pokemon even when there's no longer a screen restriction like with the 3DS.

Thank you all. This really annoys me, like the Snorlax and Tyranitar are so glaringly off it looks so strange

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's weird because Let's Go had properly scaled Pokemon

Yup, and it had a great effect in conveying the Pokemon's scale and character:
pokemon-lets-go-red-battle-faq.jpg

inline-04-en.jpg

One would think with a smaller roster of Pokemon and updated textures (as well as the whole Dynamax mechanic) this is something they'd pay attention to. Eh.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, and it had a great effect in conveying the Pokemon's scale and character:
pokemon-lets-go-red-battle-faq.jpg

inline-04-en.jpg

One would think with a smaller roster of Pokemon and updated textures (as well as the whole Dynamax mechanic) this is something they'd pay attention to. Eh.
drwFzvL.png

Again, it's just the angle. The scale is the same

oops double post

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you using the Snorlax pic to determine the scale ? Because the angle clearly throw it off. Snorlax is bigger than the trainer.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
The official site has updated with more specifics regarding mechanics, like Max Raid Battles leading to Hidden Abilities etc.

8_16_maxmoves_11.jpg

What are the menu options 2nd and 3rd from the right?
That bag is interesting from what I can assess:
--Heal Items
-Pokeballs
-Battle Items
-Ingredients
-Other Items
-TMs
-Shiny Pearl? Sellabe Items?
-Paintbrush?
-Key Items

The paintbrush is interesting. I thino customization on the fly will be possible instead of just Pokemon Centers, finally. Also love how the UI is cohesive for everything, always hated how the bag had its own special look. Also ranked battles having actual ranks instead of an arbitrary number starting at 1500 is so good,

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
That bag is interesting from what I can assess:
--Heal Items
-Pokeballs
-Battle Items
-Ingredients
-Other Items
-TMs
-Shiny Pearl? Sellabe Items?
-Paintbrush?
-Key Items

The paintbrush is interesting. I thino customization on the fly will be possible instead of just Pokemon Centers, finally. Also love how the UI is cohesive for everything, always hated how the bag had its own special look. Also ranked battles having actual ranks instead of an arbitrary number starting at 1500 is so good,
It's not a paintbrush, it's curry with a spoon :)

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
What is not scaled properly exactly? Not trolling, genuinely curious
The Pokémon have never been properly to scale in mainline games. Back when they were using sprites, it made sense because of how sprites work, and it sort of made sense on the 3DS, because both resolution and screen size were very small, but now on Switch the lack of proper scaling is getting increasingly difficult to justify.

Oct 29, 2017
The Pokémon have never been properly to scale in mainline games. Back when they were using sprites, it made sense because of how sprites work, and it sort of made sense on the 3DS, because both resolution and screen size were very small, but now on Switch the lack of proper scaling is getting increasingly difficult to justify.

But wasn't LGPE properly scaled??

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm completely bombed, so bear with me. And I just realized something. The bell pepper looking icon is for the berries which I completely skipped and the paintbrush and paint holding wooden thing ia a bowl of stew. Why exactly?
The leak mentioned you can make curry while camping and you can find ingredients in the Wild Area as shown during the Threehouse section, that's probably the pocket for those items

as for the shiny orb icon... no idea

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
The leak mentioned you can make curry while camping and you can find ingredients in the Wild Area as shown during the Threehouse section, that's probably the pocket for those items

as for the shiny orb icon... no idea
Yeah I know but the bell pepper for berries isnflipping me out cause its a bell pepper not an Oran Berry or Cheri or something.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Right, just weirded out is all, again I'm bombed and I am very hung up on it, won't give a fuck by tomorrow. In any case the globe is interesting, I wonder if its mega stones and gigantamax stones or something.
They said megas aren't in the game and Dynamax/Gigantamax don't need held items, it's certainly weird

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Let's Go was only to scale outside of battles, like SWSH:

Sword and Shield should still have better Pokemon scaling, especially since the trainers are full-sized and not chibi like in Let's Go. The overworld Pokemon look great:
Tyranitar-Pokemon-Sword-Shield.JPG

But the effect is undercut when you go into battle:
maxresdefault.jpg

I'm not sure why the size disparity there exists when it's the same model, and screen crunch isn't an issue. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm not sure why the size disparity there exists when it's the same model, and screen crunch isn't an issue. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Because for some Pokemon battles it would be stupid such as Onix (28'10") vs Mimikyu (0'08"). How is that meant to be shown on screen? That's a 44 times difference in size. The camera would have to zoom out to see Onix and then you wouldn't be able to see Mimikyu.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Because for some Pokemon battles it would be stupid such as Onix (28'10") vs Mimikyu (0'08"). How is that meant to be shown on screen? That's a 44 times difference in size. The camera would have to zoom out to see Onix and then you wouldn't be able to see Mimikyu.

I don't care if the 3D models match the scale of the Pokedex, it makes sense that they would scale up tiny Pokemon. I just want the scale of larger Pokemon to match their overworld scale. They also already deal with the camera angles of very large Pokemon with dynamaxing, I don't see the issue of Tyranitar being two feet taller than the trainer in battle.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I'm happy with the trailer, this is what I kept saying, they could show us new things without revealing new Pokémon.

But at the same time, even though I thought I had moved on already, the more older Pokémon I see confirmed, the weirdest it feels to know that there are some Pokémon, we don't know how many, that won't appear in these games at all. Like, just when I thought I had accepted it, I find out that it still makes me feel sick.

Scale seems weird, but overall they look great, like, the hd-ness of it all, so I'm fine.

And yes, I agree with everyone, whoever designed that UI should do it for every upcoming game from now on. It's gorgeous.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
They should at least have a large, medium and small general size to convey differences. It's just as weird to see mimikyu the same size as an onyx who's the same size as the trainer.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Why do you have to see Mimikyu in this case? The game would already zoom into Mimikyu when it attacks, so it's not like the model would be totally hidden the entire battle

Onix vs Diglett worked fine in Pokemon Stadium, and that was at a lower resolution than the Switch's screen

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I think besides the scaling of the Pokémon, it makes it look even weirder that they show this humongous battlefield, only to have the 4 Pokémon in a space of 4.5 tiles or so, their faces almost touching.

I just saw that Whimsicott is confirmed, so yay I guess. But what about Jumpluff? :(

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I think besides the scaling of the Pokémon, it makes it look even weirder that they show this humongous battlefield, only to have the 4 Pokémon in a space of 4.5 tiles or so, their faces almost touching.

I just saw that Whimsicott is confirmed, so yay I guess. But what about Jumpluff? :(
Well the rest of the area is needed for the dynamax Pokémon

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You'd think they could get everything to scale seeing as they don;t have to worry about every Pokemon being in. Don;t want to have a Wailord up against a Joltik? Then don't of one (or both) of them in the game.

Well the rest of the area is needed for the dynamax Pokémon
Yes, but that doesn't stop it looking bad when there's no dyna/gigantamax Pokemon in play.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'd think they could get everything to scale seeing as they don;t have to worry about every Pokemon being in. Don;t want to have a Wailord up against a Joltik? Then don't of one (or both) of them in the game.
nah, that's the shit I've been waiting for. besides, they have rotom cameras to get in for close ups

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Okay, after some more viewings, here is what I have to say:
1. Japanese trailers keep confirming that the soundtrack is amazing:

2. Galarian Weezing can be used to Negate Slow Start on Regigigas. When and if the opportunity appears that meta is gonna be spicy. Also counters weather and terrain metas 1st turn. Hot Damn.
3. Something tells me with that Corviknight cry in the Jap. Trailer that its gonna be the 3rd Stage in a Galarian Skarmory Line. It just sounds too similar. Dunno if it could work like that with no type change however.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Okay, after some more viewings, here is what I have to say:
1. Japanese trailers keep confirming that the soundtrack is amazing:

2. Galarian Weezing can be used to Negate Slow Start on Regigigas. When and if the opportunity appears that meta is gonna be spicy. Also counters weather and terrain metas 1st turn. Hot Damn.
3. Something tells me with that Corviknight cry in the Jap. Trailer that its gonna be the 3rd Stage in a Galarian Skarmory Line. It just sounds too similar. Dunno if it could work like that with no type change however.

It doesn't sound that similar to Skarmory. It actually sounds more similar to Honchkrow.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I actually wondered that too, but would they make a Galarian Murkrow line that is Steel Flying, when Skarmory already is a Gen 2 Steel/Flying Pokemon?
They could just make regular Murkrow evolve into Corviknight in Galar, and axe Honchkrow. No Galarian Murkrow needed. Or even just make Murkrow have 2 evolutions, since Honchkrow is just a simple stone evolution.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The difference between Let's Go and SwSh isn't that weird. Two separate teams working on separate sets of games. The loss of properly-scaled Pokemon hurts, though.