• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Sound types makes no sense. Everything that makes noise is a sound type. There are no Sound type mechanics.

All the sound stuff in the games are based on stuff in real life and exaggerated to fit Pokémon.

There are 2 abilities and almost 30 moves that can support a sound type. If not an actual type they could theoretically evolve sound based moves and other wave based moves into a 3rd category to complement physcial and special moves.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

There are 2 abilities and almost 30 moves that can support a sound type. If not an actual type they could theoretically evolve sound based moves and other wave based moves into a 3rd category to complement physcial and special moves.
There are even abilities to block Sound moves and a move that prevents the opponent from using it.

As such, I consider Sound more of a mechanic than a type.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017

but why?

seems wholly unnecessary and would only serve to muddy the battle system'

i don't really think there's any need or justification for it

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sound types makes no sense. Everything that makes noise is a sound type. There are no Sound type mechanics.

All the sound stuff in the games are based on stuff in real life and exaggerated to fit Pokémon.
everything makes sound, but not everything weaponizes it. it doesn't seem any less abstract than Fairy which incorporates stuff like Psychic and Grass

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I realized there is a little detail no one pointed out yet, we might just have our first official city name indirectly revealed:
4th image showing the exp gain, its from a company called Turffield Orchards. This company also endorses Milo. So from that, we can come to the conclusion that this city is likely called Turffield City. Or perhaps they drop the City and Town nomenclature and its just called Turffield. I dunno if I hate it, but I definitely don't love it. Turffield sounds like a boring trying to sound British style and its boring after Kalos and Alola had some flair.
Kalos made its city names sound French, and Alola Hawaiian, so this makes perfect sense to me- plenty of British towns and cities have field in their names (Sheffield, Huddersfield, Lichfield etc.)

Wouldn't be at all surprised if we got some -chesters, some -pools, some -inghams and some -hamptons to match.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I just feel like Sound Type would be as making a "Punching" Type because there's many punching moves and Pokémon that can make fists. Even if there's more Sound based moves, it still feels the same to me.

I think sound is perfectly covered by Normal type and there's no need to separate it, because, well, it's something normal, it's not an inexplicable force from a mysterious source.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Really? That's the support for a sound type?

A Bug Buzz -Sound Type
Perrish Song - Sound Type, Singing

And abilities that block them.

Why isn't

Thunderbolt a sound type move? It makes noise

Snore? Really? I was Snoring my ass off last night and that's....

No, none of that supports Sound types. Anyone who believes it does is just a fan wanting to see something that's not there.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Sound as a type doesn't really work with the type chart that we have.
Super Effective: Water, Rock, Fighting
Ineffective: Ground, Flying
Zero Damage: Psychic, Ghost
Weak Against: Psychic, Electric, Ground
Kalos made its city names sound French, and Alola Hawaiian, so this makes perfect sense to me- plenty of British towns and cities have field in their names (Sheffield, Huddersfield, Lichfield etc.)

Wouldn't be at all surprised if we got some -chesters, some -pools, some -inghams and some -hamptons to match.
I agree that it makes a ton of sense, but it just feels a bit boring is all. Like turffield sounds like land-land, if that makes any sense. It would be like calling the water gym city Wavepool.

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that it makes a ton of sense, but it just feels a bit boring is all. Like turffield sounds like land-land, if that makes any sense. It would be like calling the water gym city Wavepool.
Yeah, I totally get it, but I'd also argue that's because you're familiar with the language- Alola's islands literally translate as Yellow, Pink, Red and Purple Islands!

EDIT: I hadn't looked into translations for Alola's place names before, and some of these are a scream:
Iki= This
Hau'oli= Be Happy
Kala'e= Forgiveness
Hokulani= French (???)
Heahea= Yelling
Mahalo= Thanks
Malie= Fun
Lanakila= Success
Po= Night
Wela= Hot

Last edited:

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I think sound works best as a mechanic rather than a type. Not everything has to be a type, and making it so would severely limit a lot of move sets that take advantage of the mechanic because, suddenly, their same type moves are now Sound-type and not STABed anymore.

Oct 26, 2017
Super Effective: Water, Rock, Fighting
Ineffective: Ground, Flying
Zero Damage: Psychic, Ghost
Weak Against: Psychic, Electric, Ground

None of the weaknesses and strengths makes any sense. Like what's the inherent logic to sound being super-effective against fighting and water?

Sound is one of those types where if you argue that it's SE against fighting types because of hearing, then what about other Pokemon of different types but still being able to hear? It just doesn't work as a viable type.

Oct 25, 2017
Idea for a spinoff Pokemon game

So the recent trailer for Sword and Shield that revealed the Galarian forms got me thinking of how to implement these remixed Pokemon. I also felt Alolan forms from Sun and Moon weren't as well implemented and I felt they didn't embody the spirit and culture of Hawaii. I also feel like Sword and Shield will get a lot of the same flak XY and Sun and Moon got for not adding enough new Pokemon.

So here is my idea

New Region
Roughly 275-300 Available Pokemon to obtain
At least 40% of the available needs to be regional remixes of older pokemon
Only 11 new pokemon (Starters + Starter evos + two main legendaries)

I have probably lost some of you but hear me out. I think the regional forms are the most exciting and innovative thing they have done post Gen 5. Remixing older pokemon breathes a lot of life into older generations of pokemon. I think it'd be really cool to focus on that. Tie those regional forms to the culture and customs of the region. If they set a game in Egypt, I want those regional forms to reference Egyptian gods and pharaohs.

For this to really work, a significant amount of the available to catch Pokemon would need be a regional remix. They would need to commit HARD to this.

I know a lot of people would be pretty skeptical and outright angry at this since their favs might change or even be excluded from the game and I get that but I think making this kind of shift in the paradigm would add so much.

For those who think 275-300 Pokemon is too few, it allows them to focus on creating regional remixes and tailoring them to the region.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why isn't

Thunderbolt a sound type move? It makes noise

Snore? Really? I was Snoring my ass off last night and that's....

No, none of that supports Sound types. Anyone who believes it does is just a fan wanting to see something that's not there.
thunderbolt attacks with electricity, not audio

it's pretty dang obvious

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

So the recent trailer for Sword and Shield that revealed the Galarian forms got me thinking of how to implement these remixed Pokemon. I also felt Alolan forms from Sun and Moon weren't as well implemented and I felt they didn't embody the spirit and culture of Hawaii. I also feel like Sword and Shield will get a lot of the same flak XY and Sun and Moon got for not adding enough new Pokemon.

So here is my idea

New Region

I have probably lost some of you but hear me out. I think the regional forms are the most exciting and innovative thing they have done post Gen 5. Remixing older pokemon breathes a lot of life into older generations of pokemon. I think it'd be really cool to focus on that. Tie those regional forms to the culture and customs of the region. If they set a game in Egypt, I want those regional forms to reference Egyptian gods and pharaohs.

For this to really work, a significant amount of the available to catch Pokemon would need be a regional remix. They would need to commit HARD to this.

I know a lot of people would be pretty skeptical and outright angry at this since their favs might change or even be excluded from the game and I get that but I think making this kind of shift in the paradigm would add so much.

For those who think 275-300 Pokemon is too few, it allows them to focus on creating regional remixes and tailoring them to the region.
That sounds like something that would please exactly no one at all.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Yeah, I totally get it, but I'd also argue that's because you're familiar with the language- Alola's islands literally translate as Yellow, Pink, Red and Purple Islands!
Fair enough, those island names in question do sound cool because of the Hawaiian Language. We'll see though, they could have some cool naming for stuff like the caves routes and forests.
None of the weaknesses and strengths makes any sense. Like what's the inherent logic to sound being super-effective against fighting and water?

Sound is one of those types where if you argue that it's SE against fighting types because of hearing, then what about other Pokemon of different types but still being able to hear? It just doesn't work as a viable type.
Sound travels faster in water and a lot of martial arts deals with being in tune with your surroundings, so a sound type can potentially disorientate the Pomemon. Meanwhile its ineffective to ground and flying types as ground types can feel the attack coming and absorb the damage while flying type Pokemon as avians and other flying creatures aren't as sensitive to sound. Meanwhile Psychic and Ghost types are more ephemeral meaning that the attacks won't work on them at all. As for the weaknesses, psychic types are stronger against it to balance out the previous point, electric and ground can damage them in the same way that psychic can be SE against Poison, they just do.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
I quite like sound move's current niche. It may not be a typing, but the ability to ignore Substitute is an INCREDIBLY valuable asset! Granted, it will be diminshed in Sword and Shield since excellent sound attacking Pokemon like Mega Salamence and Mega Gardevoir will be gone, but at the very least, you'll probably still see Sylveon using Hyper Voice thanks to Pixilate, and who knows what else could get abilities like that or killer moves like Boomburst or Bug Buzz...

To be clear, I don't think that totally means a Sound-type isn't impossible in the future. For example, we have the fighting type, but we still have several moves that invoke similar "feelings" but are different types, such as Blaze Kick, Ice Punch, Mega Kick, etc. At the very least, if we got a Sound-type eventully, I sorta hope Hyper Voice either remains normal, or we get a new sound-type replacement that's a Normal-type, if only for Pokemon that take advantage of Pixilate / Aerilate like abilities such as Sylveon.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
thunderbolt attacks with electricity, not audio

it's pretty dang obvious

You're putting more thought into then it deserves.

Screech lowers defense

Think about real life with a teacher scrapping a black board making a screeching sound. What's the natural reaction for the kids? To cover their ears and be distracted by it this lowering this attention (defense) to any thing else?

It's not a Sound Type, it's common sense. The same logic can be applied to other moves and they are people in real life who isn't bothered by such things.

You and others are adding sound type to the obvious. Zubat uses sound to get by in caves. It's not weaponized as does Noivern first evo Noibat. They are not sound types. Just Pokémon based off of animals who uses sound to get by.

Big Buzz a Sound Type. Right.. people seeing things that aren't there

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The real reason sound as a type doesnt work is because the meta doesnt need a shake up on the types atm. If you add a new type it needs to curb stomp the strong shit and bring the weaker stuff up a bit

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The real reason sound as a type doesnt work is because the meta doesnt need a shake up on the types atm. If you add a new type it needs to curb stomp the strong shit and bring the weaker stuff up a bit
Yep. Fairy did a lot to shake up the meta for the better. Sound would be cool, but it's not necessarily something we need.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're putting more thought into then it deserves.
w3hUyFC.gif

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I don't like moves that are a "type" without being a proper type because things get weird in translation and you end up with stuff like Sucker Punch not being counted as a "Punch" move, but Meteor Mash is.

It ends up being really confusing for people outside of Japan, and you mostly just need to look up all of the moves that qualify.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017

So here is my idea

New Region

I've thought about something like this before, but I think it'd work best if it was a healthy mix of both regional forms and cross gen evolutions, so there'd still be a lot more than just those 11 new Pokemon for people to get excited about. Regional rodent can be like what we're getting here by introducing Obstagoon. Regional bug could be a Kricketune evolution. Regional bird a Noctowl evolution. Give more single stage Pokemon the Roselia treatment, so the first wild Grass type you catch is a Maractus or Carnivine pre-evo. Stuff like that.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
So, do we think they'll show more stuff at Worlds?

Oct 26, 2017

The thing is they didn't really need fairy type in the first place. The dragons being overpowered could've been rectified with a strong BST nerf (Garchomp with a significant speed drop and some attack drop would be enough to hurt its usage rate. I know pseudo rule and all but balance > arbitrary tradition). I like the inclusion of fairy types, but they've quickly become one of the best attacking types.

And before people say that GF can't do it. Look at Gengar getting an ability nerf in Gen VII. So GF isn't really above editing Pokemon if need be.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Asking here as it seems to be the most recent SwSh discussion thread: has there been indication of how big the regional dex will be?

My concern is actually it will be too big for my liking rather than too small. Playing through Y again and remembering how bloated that region felt in terms of different Pokemon found on any given route. B2W2 hit my regional dex sweet spot, but with there being "no national dex" ~300 would probably be too low to expect right?

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
Asking here as it seems to be the most recent SwSh discussion thread: has there been indication of how big the regional dex will be?

My concern is actually it will be too big for my liking rather than too small. Playing through Y again and remembering how bloated that region felt in terms of different Pokemon found on any given route. B2W2 hit my regional dex sweet spot, but with there being "no national dex" ~300 would probably be too low to expect right?

No one really knows. Best we have are guesstimates.

I would imagine you're in the minority here possibly though, I think they might go a decent bit higher than that to soften the blow of the national dex removal as much as possible

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017

It's anyone's guess for now. We have 210 confirmed Pokémon so far, who knows how much they've yet to show.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it'll roughly get to 400-450.
We're at 210 with few Galar Pokémon revealed and almost no evolutions. The number will quickly grow.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017

As someone who also disliked XY's huge dex, I don't think it'll be annoying here thanks to Pokémon being visible. Much less of a pain to find what you want

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
It's anyone's guess for now. We have 210 confirmed Pokémon so far, who knows how much they've yet to show.
I think it'll roughly get to 400-450.
We're at 210 with few Galar Pokémon revealed and almost no evolutions. The number will quickly grow.
Oh wow, didn't realize we were already up to that many. 400+ seems like a safe bet then (and what I assume most would want)
As someone who also disliked XY's huge dex, I don't think it'll be annoying here thanks to Pokémon being visible. Much less of a pain to find what you want
True, shouldn't feel as bad this time thanks to no random encounters. Could also end up being that a good chunk of Pokemon are wild area exclusives

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
It will definitely be bigger than XY's dex. I suspect the variety on normal routes will be pretty typical, though, and maybe 50% or more of the dex will be exclusive to the Wild Area with a whole lot of variation there depending on which part of the map you're in, the time of day, and weather.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
The thing is they didn't really need fairy type in the first place. The dragons being overpowered could've been rectified with a strong BST nerf (Garchomp with a significant speed drop and some attack drop would be enough to hurt its usage rate. I know pseudo rule and all but balance > arbitrary tradition). I like the inclusion of fairy types, but they've quickly become one of the best attacking types.

And before people say that GF can't do it. Look at Gengar getting an ability nerf in Gen VII. So GF isn't really above editing Pokemon if need be.

This is an old post already, but I quoted it in the morning and forgot to reply lol

I think in the case of Fairy it really was needed, just to fill that empty space of physical and special types (even if that distinction had already been dropped by Gen VI) and because, design-wise Pokémon like Clefairy or Jigglypuff really needed a differentiation from Pokémon like Rattata or Tauros.

I'm not sure about Pokémon like Mr. Mime or Mawile. Not even Gardevoir made sense to me back then, but now I'm used to it. And for example I still believe Chansey needed to be Fairy too. I would've given:
  • Clefairy: Fairy
  • Jigglypuff: Fairy/Normal
  • Chansey: Normal/Fairy
But I guess it makes more sense to have the three being different.

Snubbull and Granbull is another thing I've never understood, even if the category is Fairy Pokémon. It's just I always thought of this new hypothetical type as Light and never thought of Fairy. And in that scenario, Light would've been super effective against Dark, but also Dark super effective against Light.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

If you have to heavily nerf a bunch of Pokemon of one type then clearly it's a problem with the typing itself and not the Pokemon. Adding Fairy type also helped out poison and steel types, which the former especially needed.