• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
I'm all for new types. Removing a ton of the dex is already gonna mess with the meta to an insane degree, might as well go full cuckoo

Feb 20, 2019
Personally, I think that if Ice is going to remain the weakest defensive type, then it should clearly be the strongest offensive type. Right now, Ice, as an offensive type, is strong, but you could make the argument that Fighting, Ground and Rock are just as good.
Personally, I think that if Ice is going to remain the weakest defensive type, then it should clearly be the strongest offensive type. Right now, Ice, as an offensive type, is strong, but you could make the argument that Fighting, Ground and Rock are just as good.
It's an electric type- yellow's fair enough.

It's also a Pikaclone- looking like Pikachu is a feature, not a bug.
The electric type could still be justified by the pure fact that it's a pikaclone. Pachirisu isn't yellow yet it still looks like an electric type.
It doesn't need to look like a xerox of pikachu to be a pikaclone. Changing the body color would've made Morpeko more recognizable, and more interesting.

edit: why did I quote so many people lol

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Since we are talking about types, does anyone know the rational behind having Fire resist Fairy instead of like giving Ice types another (much needed) resistance?

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
A type that's SE against Electric, Water, and Ghost, resisted by Ice, Rock, Bug, and Flying, weak to Psychic, Poison, and Bug, and resists Ground, Fairy, and Water. Just make whatever type that is.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
If you have to heavily nerf a bunch of Pokemon of one type then clearly it's a problem with the typing itself and not the Pokemon. Adding Fairy type also helped out poison and steel types, which the former especially needed.

It really didnt help steel that much and its not like Steel needed helping. Sure, it gave some more utility to poison, but by the counterpoint of making dragon useless and ice even more useless. It wasn't a good trade in the end at all. If all they wanted was to nerf dragon they could easily.... just improved ice.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
stop giving stupid-ass stats to dragons. I get the point of pseudos, but they ain't always gotta be dragon. shit, that's why they had the problem in the first damn place. how about an ice-type pseudo with 100+ speed and attack/special attack?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The idea that Fairy type was necessary to "balance" the game goes out the window when the best type in the game has been Steel for over a decade and the second best is probably now Fairy.

Fairy is such a ridiculous type that just switching from Normal to Fairy turned Clefable into an absolute monster.

Last edited:

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
stop giving stupid-ass stats to dragons. I get the point of pseudos, but they ain't always gotta be dragon. shit, that's why they had the problem in the first damn place. how about an ice-type pseudo with 100+ speed and attack/special attack?

So what your saying is...

...We make another Ice/Dragon?

(Even Kyurem was only base 95 speed, hehe).

The idea that Fairy type was necessary to "balance" the game goes out the window when the best type in the game is Steel and the second best is probably Fairy.

Dragons did rule the roost until Fairy came along though by a significant margin.

Why give Steel the super effective though when it was the second best type in the game is questionable though.

I would say there's a solid argument that Water type is either third or fourth in the best type list.

And Ice is the worst, that's unquestionable.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ice type full legends can't even keep up, a psuedo wouldn't help.
there's only two at that (or 4, I guess?). I'm sure they can carve out a decent pokemon that doesn't much coddling. I'm still a believer

speaking of which, Worlds would also be a good place to talk about balance changes to typings

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Most of what makes a type "good" or "bad" is that type's weaknesses and resistances. Steel is the best type because it resists everything, even though Steel type move coverage is mediocre. Ice is the worst type because it resists nothing, even though Ice type move coverage is fantastic.

It also helps when your weaknesses and resistances don't overlap with other types. Oh Fairy's weak to Poison and Steel? No problem, half the time Fairy types get a secondary typing that resists or is flat-out immune to one or both those attack types. Yeah that Mega Mawile is really fearing Sludge Bomb LOL

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fairy type didn't even end up buffing Poison since it just made Steel even better. You see as many Poison types now as you did before Gen 6... Actually, probably less than you did before Gen 6.

It also basically had no effect on the Dragon-type pseudos other than colossally fucking over Hydreigon and Kommo'o.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When the first competitive Alolan Pokémon I think of are Oranguru and Toxapex, yeah, I think the region might have a speed problem.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

Dragons did rule the roost until Fairy came along though by a significant margin.

Why give Steel the super effective though when it was the second best type in the game is questionable though.

I would say there's a solid argument that Water type is either third or fourth in the best type list.

Steel traded some defense for more offensive when Fairy was introduced. Losing the resistance to Ghost alone was pretty big.

It also basically had no effect on the Dragon-type pseudos other than colossally fucking over Hydreigon and Kommo'o.
All of the psuedos see far less use than they did pre-Fairy.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana

btw, would it have helped at all if Ice-type was super effective against Fairy?

also, I think Poison should be super effective against Bug again

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
btw, would it have helped at all if Ice-type was super effective against Fairy?

also, I think Poison should be super effective against Bug again
Problem about that is that people would just use ice moves on other types because ice would still be trash. Ice resisting fairy though, could work

Ice is supposed to be the glass cannon but everyone can drop by and use their cannon without being as weak, so ice is mostly just glass . Hell ice doesn't even fit it's only niche of "killing dragons" anymore now that fairy is a thing.

Last edited:

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
This is an old post already, but I quoted it in the morning and forgot to reply lol

I think in the case of Fairy it really was needed, just to fill that empty space of physical and special types (even if that distinction had already been dropped by Gen VI) and because, design-wise Pokémon like Clefairy or Jigglypuff really needed a differentiation from Pokémon like Rattata or Tauros.

I'm not sure about Pokémon like Mr. Mime or Mawile. Not even Gardevoir made sense to me back then, but now I'm used to it. And for example I still believe Chansey needed to be Fairy too. I would've given:
  • Clefairy: Fairy
  • Jigglypuff: Fairy/Normal
  • Chansey: Normal/Fairy
But I guess it makes more sense to have the three being different.

Snubbull and Granbull is another thing I've never understood, even if the category is Fairy Pokémon. It's just I always thought of this new hypothetical type as Light and never thought of Fairy. And in that scenario, Light would've been super effective against Dark, but also Dark super effective against Light.

You don't want chansey to have fairy typing.

Oct 26, 2017
If you have to heavily nerf a bunch of Pokemon of one type then clearly it's a problem with the typing itself and not the Pokemon. Adding Fairy type also helped out poison and steel types, which the former especially needed.

Your argument disregards that Dragon-types are pretty small in sample size when you factor in what we had before Gen VI, and of that small sample size, we had quite a few overpowered Pokemon because of poorly thought out BSTs and ability choices, and sometimes even movepools being diverse and leading to multiple viable sets. The ones that really stand out and show their poor design:

Dragonite: Multiscale (allowing it to tank a hit for significantly less damage than otherwise, which made Dragon Dance setup)
Salamence: Intimidate/Moxie (both abilities allowing for set-up for a sweep under aggressive or passive tactics)
Garchomp: Sand Veil/Rough Skin (there's a reason why Sand Veil was banned under smogon rules, and Garchomp was almost always the main attacker in a sand team. Rough Skin was hilarious for adding chip damage)

And of course, those three in particular were used way more often than one of the "lesser dragons." Even then, those lesser Dragons were powerful in their own way. Flygon was basically dollar store Garchomp but with mediocre attack power, Kingdra requires set-up and its movepool is limited, Druddigon is slow but hits hard, etc. Historically, BST averages were also incredibly high in attacking stats because of the limited sample size. The bigger problem I see is the fact that Ice moves usually came from other Pokemon typings as Ice is terrible as a defensive type, so why not buff Ice first? It's already a strong attacking type that isn't used enough because the defensive side is too punishing (unless you're Kyurem and people still use you because the forms have some incredible attack power).

What Fairies did was introduce another powerful attacking type, while not really doing enough to mitigate the high dragon usage, and ironically enough, some Dragons had access to SE moves against Fairies if needed to go that route. And this was further compounded by stupid decisions GF made in Gen VI and VII to give Dragons more toys (M-Salamence, M-Lati twins, M-Charizard X, etc). I would rather have buffed the other types, and nerfed BSTs than introduce a type that didn't really change all that much. All this to say, oftentimes a Pokemon's design matters a lot more than simply introducing a type to counter it. Especially when you're talking about GF's tendency to overcorrect their design habits (look no further than Gen VII to see how GF overcorrected by reducing the speed of all new Pokemon when compared to previous generations), or flatout design some hilariously overpowered Pokemon.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
The idea that Fairy type was necessary to "balance" the game goes out the window when the best type in the game has been Steel for over a decade and the second best is probably now Fairy.

Fairy is such a ridiculous type that just switching from Normal to Fairy turned Clefable into an absolute monster.
Dragon was stupidly broken up until Gen 6, to the point where Dragon spam was a valid (and often very effective) strategy in the Gen 5 metagame.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do

No gods no masters only blisseys, blisseys everywhere
wouldn't chansey be better with evolite?

Dragon was stupidly broken up until Gen 6, to the point where Dragon spam was a valid (and often very effective) strategy in the Gen 5 metagame.
tumblr_oiyvf83kS71t8f4e9o2_250.gif

Azumarill was the MVP of XY

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
I sincerely hope Duraludon is not the pseudo-legendary of this Gen. While I think it has a neat design, it just doesn't give off pseudo vibes.

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
Also following all the mechanic/variation talk, wouldn't it be interesting to have some sort of hot/cold water type Pokémon that can change its type from water/fire to water/icen depending on which variation...

Dec 21, 2018
We need a pseudo that isn't dragon type. And while we're at it, a pseudo that doesn't look like it could be dragon type either, like Tyranitar.