• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Dragon was stupidly broken up until Gen 6, to the point where Dragon spam was a valid (and often very effective) strategy in the Gen 5 metagame.

Again, Dragon spam was effective in Gen 5 because of the specific dragons used, not because of the type as a whole. Using OU as an example, I remember teams using cores of:

Kyurem-B/Latios/Latias/Garchomp
Dragonite/MoxieMence/Garchomp/Haxorus
Haxorus/Dragonite/Garchomp
Latios/Garchomp/Haxorus
Hydreigon/Salamence/Haxorus

What do they all have in common? These Dragons have some of the most powerful BST spreads + movepool to accommodate hyperoffensive strategy. It also doesn't help that Haxorus is the only non-pseudo and non-legendary dragon-type in the cores listed.

The Dragons definitely needed balancing, but introducing a new type was a horrible way to accomplish that. What should've happened was nerfing BSTs and/or having new abilities to minimize the efficacy of certain dragon Pokemon (for instance, Multiscale and Moxie are such fantastic and braindead ways for Dragonite and Salamence to set-up quickly).

Last edited:

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Again, Dragon spam was effective in Gen 5 because of the specific dragons used, not because of the type as a whole. Using OU as an example, I remember teams using cores of:

Kyurem-B/Latios/Latias/Garchomp
Dragonite/MoxieMence/Garchomp/Haxorus
Haxorus/Dragonite/Garchomp
Latios/Garchomp/Haxorus
Hydreigon/Salamence/Haxorus

What do they all have in common? These Dragons have some of the most powerful BST spreads + movepool to accommodate hyperoffensive strategy. It also doesn't help that only Haxorus isn't a pseudo or a legendary dragon-type in the cores listed.

The Dragons definitely needed balancing, but introducing a new type was a horrible way to accomplish that. What should've happened was nerfing BSTs and/or having new abilities to minimize the efficacy of certain dragon Pokemon (for instance, Multiscale and Moxie are such fantastic and braindead ways for Dragonite and Salamence to set-up quickly).
I agree with nerfing BSTs to an extent, but part of the reason why these core were so effective was because of how good of an offensive type Dragon used to be. The main reason why Outrage/Draco Meteor spam was so common, and not Thrash/Overheat/Leaf Storm spam was because having a type that has no immunities, and is only resisted by Steel (which in turn, can't do much back without Hidden Power Ice) meant that you could just spam these moves with little regard for what switches in, whereas you can't do so for their non-Dragon counterparts. Especially so if you ended up using 4 Drag + 2 Mag back in Gen 5 to get rid of any potentially worrisome Steel types.

Last edited:

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Since we are talking about types, does anyone know the rational behind having Fire resist Fairy instead of like giving Ice types another (much needed) resistance?
No idea, makes as much sense as Fairy being a good counter to fighting alongside Dragon, and Fairies also being strong against Bug is weird, you would think bugs could be strong against them considering most fairies are woodland spirits.

wouldn't chansey be better with evolite?

tumblr_oiyvf83kS71t8f4e9o2_250.gif

Azumarill was the MVP of XY
Azumarill is MVP of my heart, fat fuck was already a top 5 but its Fairy boost shot it up to Favorite of all Time for me.
I sincerely hope Duraludon is not the pseudo-legendary of this Gen. While I think it has a neat design, it just doesn't give off pseudo vibes.
Yeah I feel like its the Drampa of this gen. I think this gen the Pseudo will be surprising and not of the Dragon Type. Personally hoping its an ice type.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
An ice type pseudo probably wouldn't be good unless they change the type somehow.

None of the dragon pseudos are all that good anymore post-fairy either and the changes to steel hurt Metagross too though.

Yukiko

Feb 21, 2019
Spain
When the first competitive Alolan Pokémon I think of are Oranguru and Toxapex, yeah, I think the region might have a speed problem.

Tapu Koko has been one of the most dominant pokémon (in VGC) since it was first introduced. It'll (probably) be missed in SwSh. Tbh I hope UBs, Tapus and Incineroar aren't available in Galar lol

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
VGC next year is gonna be fun, no Tapus, no Genies and DMax/Gmax are gonna shake things up a lot. Dreadnaw especially I feel is gonna see a ton of useage.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
So what Pokemon will they reveal at Worlds this year that in reality has no competitive viability?

That Crabrawler reveal was even stranger it ended up being an early-game Pokemon with an evolution.
Dreadnaw especially I feel is gonna see a ton of useage.
I wonder how useful Dreadnaw will actually end up being. Nessa seems to be an early-game gym leader and it looks like it's her ace.

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
VGC next year is gonna be fun, no Tapus, no Genies and DMax/Gmax are gonna shake things up a lot. Dreadnaw especially I feel is gonna see a ton of useage.

Running at a decent frame rate and resolution is going to make it a lot more spectator friendly at least. Having a laggy 3ds game scaled up for streaming was always quite offputting.

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Running at a decent frame rate and resolution is going to make it a lot more spectator friendly at least. Having a laggy 3ds game scaled up for streaming was always quite offputting.

Better have a decent FPS, I'm still worried it won't in the final game, not from any footage I have seen just because I'm sceptical the game is going to look as smooth as it has in the trailers.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Better have a decent FPS, I'm still worried it won't in the final game, not from any footage I have seen just because I'm sceptical the game is going to look as smooth as it has in the trailers.

The game won't decrease in quality from now to the launch. It's the opposite. Performance can only go up as they optimize the game further.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I think it's almost 99% safe to say that Tapus won't be in Galar. Like what would be the explanation to be considered part of the regional dex?

It's not like legendary Kanto birds which, apparently love traveling and conquering other regions lol

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's almost 99% safe to say that Tapus won't be in Galar. Like what would be the explanation to be considered part of the regional dex?

It's not like legendary Kanto birds which, apparently love traveling and conquering other regions lol
Eventually they will have to come up with an excuse though unless they play to remake Sun and Moon soon, same with other legendaries and starters

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Eventually they will have to come up with an excuse though unless they play to remake Sun and Moon soon, same with other legendaries and starters
They show up in a raid den or something.

I think it's "easier" or more "justifiable" to put someone like Mew or Mewtwo because they're not necessarily tied to a place, or because of their origin we know they don't really come from Cerulean Cave or the Faraway Island, but the Tapus go very hand in hand with their place, imo, because they aren't just inhabitants but the actual guardians of the respective island.

I mean, at this point they can do whatever they want, and it will never explain why some Pokémon can be in some regions and others can't, but I think if they're gonna appear in raids or that sort of gigs, they should at least come up with a more arbitrary "Raid Dex" or something like that instead of trying to shove everything in a regional dex and use it as the excuse, because it just won't make sense.

I guess we'll have to wait and see

Nov 14, 2017
I think it's "easier" or more "justifiable" to put someone like Mew or Mewtwo because they're not necessarily tied to a place, or because of their origin we know they don't really come from Cerulean Cave or the Faraway Island, but the Tapus go very hand in hand with their place, imo, because they aren't just inhabitants but the actual guardians of the respective island.

I mean, at this point they can do whatever they want, and it will never explain why some Pokémon can be in some regions and others can't, but I think if they're gonna appear in raids or that sort of gigs, they should at least come up with a more arbitrary "Raid Dex" or something like that instead of trying to shove everything in a regional dex and use it as the excuse, because it just won't make sense.

I guess we'll have to wait and see
Mewtwo will absolutely show up in a raid den with a Gigantamax form

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What would an uber metagame even look like, assuming all the mythicals and legendaries are being saved later into the generation, with only a select few (The new ones and the Fifty Dollar Mew so far) being in the first entry.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still holding out that they repurpose Megas as gigantamax forms

I still don't get why anyone wants this (or expects them to) when it'd make far more sense to advertise a brand new form. What's the point of giving a Pokemon a Gigantomax form only to have it look exactly like their Mega forms? It'd feel lazy and not to mention superficial, since they wouldn't get their changed typings and stat boosts.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
The Sinnoh remakes already have the perfect basis for including past legendaries: the Distortion World. All they have to do is say something like "Mt. Coronet isn't the only place connected to the Distortion World. While wandering around inside, you might occasionally come across other mysterious portals that take you to places all over the Pokemon world!" You go through a door and boom, suddenly you're in a Tapu temple or at the top of Tin Tower or wherever.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The Sinnoh remakes already have the perfect basis for including past legendaries: the Distortion World. All they have to do is say something like "Mt. Coronet isn't the only place connected to the Distortion World. While wandering around inside, you might occasionally come across other mysterious portals that take you to places all over the Pokemon world!" You go through a door and boom, suddenly you're in a Tapu temple or at the top of Tin Tower or wherever.
There's a greater than 90% chance Distortion World is never brought up or referenced in any way in a DP remake

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
What would an uber metagame even look like, assuming all the mythicals and legendaries are being saved later into the generation, with only a select few (The new ones and the Fifty Dollar Mew so far) being in the first entry.

Honestly people are probably just gonna play a custom Ubers metagame on Showdown instead of on the Switch. Ubers is pretty pointless without all the legendaries, dexit is sadly going to destroy this format's ingame capability.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get why anyone wants this (or expects them to) when it'd make far more sense to advertise a brand new form. What's the point of giving a Pokemon a Gigantomax form only to have it look exactly like their Mega forms? It'd feel lazy and not to mention superficial, since they wouldn't get their changed typings and stat boosts.
because what they don't want is yet another mechanic that's gonna be thrown away next gen

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one who uses the box art Legends? Sure I have a tradition where I use them until the league then if I like them I keep them in my team (with the exception of Kyurem. Ironic, my favorite Legendary is the only box art one you have to wait until post game to get) but I like them all anyways. Well, except Reshiram and White Kyurem, I'm neutral on them.
TBh, i dont like using box legends, but i love doing Mythical starter runs. My UM playthrough was mostly Zeraora, Emboar, and Archeops for a long while. Sad I never got to do a Marshadow run :/

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
There's a greater than 90% chance Distortion World is never brought up or referenced in any way in a DP remake
Despite being more faithful as R/S remakes, OR/AS still featured Rayquaza and Sky Tower in the post-game. So even if D/P remakes ignore Giratina for the main story, I would still expect them to do something with it and the Distortion World as a post-game story.