• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly people are probably just gonna play a custom Ubers metagame on Showdown instead of on the Switch. Ubers is pretty pointless without all the legendaries, dexit is sadly going to destroy this format's ingame capability.
Would people even play Ubers on the Switch in the first place? That seems like something people don't really play ingame anymore.

Last edited:

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
stop giving stupid-ass stats to dragons. I get the point of pseudos, but they ain't always gotta be dragon. shit, that's why they had the problem in the first damn place. how about an ice-type pseudo with 100+ speed and attack/special attack?
This is a problem with Yugioh too and its frustrating

The only thing thats "cool" is dragons so there has to always be a shitty overpowered dragon no matter what, regardless of how out of place it is.

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for people defending that claiming "But guys, the remake is based on D/P, not Platinum!!!"
Eh what the hell, I'll do it before it happens!

When the Distortion World was introduced, it was placed after a gauntlet of boss fights (which came after a lengthy dungeon of their own) and was a cool way to differentiate between what happened in DP and what was happening in Platinum. Giratina wouldn't be at the Spear Pillar in a theoretical remake, it'd be Gimmick Dialga or Super Palkia 64 (which might come with a replacement Distortion World-inspired thing like "Rift in Time/Space", who knows).
So now you're left with Turnback Cave, a dungeon that is based around confusing the player with the goal being to reach the end for your reward; a chance to catch Giratina. From a gameplay and pacing standpoint, why would an entirely different dungeon be placed immediately after that? It'd probably just be the single room from when you revisit it after the Elite 4, too, and at that point it's like why even bother making unique art assets and movement properties? If they just put in a referential room, ie. the floor and background just look like it and the walking-on-walls thing wasn't recreated, you can bet people would call them lazy for that too.

So, ideally, I'd be betting on them giving Dialga and Palkia a replacement Distortion World-like area (that'd definitely be shorter) and then use the same assets to build the Distortion World's postgame room as a reference to Platinum. It wouldn't be the main dungeon like people would want, but hey, at least it'd show up.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of a Distortion World wouldn't bug me too much as long as they do a whole post game story for Giratina like Rayquaza got in ORAS.
My biggest worry is that they'll base the PokeDex and gym progression on DP, now THAT would be shitty. I also worry they'll cut the entire post game island because they don't want to do a Battle Frontier. If they don't want to do a Battle Frontier I hope they just put something else in its place there, the whole island doesn't need to die.

Last edited:

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
The lack of a Distortion World wouldn't bug me too much as long as they do a whole post game story for Giratina like Rayquaza got in ORAS.
My biggest worry is that they'll base the PokeDex and gym progression on DP, now THAT would be shitty. I also worry they'll cut the entire post game island because they don't want to do a Battle Frontier. If they don't want to do a Battle Frontier I hope they just put something else in its place there, the whole island doesn't need to die.
Also some guy in a Pokemon Center just hands you a free Heatran.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I'm still holding out that they repurpose Megas as gigantamax forms
I still don't get why anyone wants this (or expects them to) when it'd make far more sense to advertise a brand new form. What's the point of giving a Pokemon a Gigantomax form only to have it look exactly like their Mega forms? It'd feel lazy and not to mention superficial, since they wouldn't get their changed typings and stat boosts.

I don't think they're recycling Megas for Gigantamax forms, because they're two different concepts, and like, brand-wise, we have official artwork and name for Gigantamax forms. Under this premise, Mega Gardevoir and Gigantamax Gardevoir would have the same artwork, etc which just would sound, off. And that also would lead to the false idea that Gigantamax and Mega evolution are the same, so Gigantamax Alcremie is basically its mega evolution too.

Repurposing concepts would be as if Giratina Origin Forme would've suddenly become Giratina Altered Forme's Mega Evolution in Gen VI. That would be just wrong.

So I don't doubt Mewtwo or Charizard are getting Gigantamax forms but I think they will be completely new designs.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The Distortion World is safe because it's an actual selling point that more than 5% of the player base actually cares about

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
The Distortion World is safe because it's an actual selling point that more than 5% of the player base actually cares about
So were Mega Evolutions, didn't stop them from cutting them in SwSh. Really at this point it's hard to say that anything is safe, especially now that they aren't even putting every Pokemon in each game anymore.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
What's the point of giving a Pokemon a Gigantomax form only to have it look exactly like their Mega forms?

The point is to have 30+ Giga forms ready and available for popular Pokémon without having to create new designs.
I don't see what's so difficult to understand about this.

It'd feel lazy and not to mention superficial, since they wouldn't get their changed typings and stat boosts.

What make you say they wouldn't have their changed typings and abilities?
(The stat boosts could and should be redone, though, to balance a handful of Megas.)

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I feel pretty confident in saying current GF would care less about Giritina and his crusty lore and instead expanding on Arceus, especially since multiple worlds is a thing now.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't really make sense to turn Megas into Gigantamax forms. They are their own thing and will still be used for other stuff. It would also be weird from a lore perspective and there's more money in new designs.

Gen 4 remakes will likely keep all the Giratina stuff, which means the Disortion World or some new spin on it like we saw with Rayquaza.

Also some guy in a Pokemon Center just hands you a free Heatran.
They wouldn't do that.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Dynamax may not be here next gen, leaving some pokemon like Alcremie without a second form. it's happened before, and I think it showcases a lack of forethought when making these

Dynamax seems like a battle gimmick that could last for a while, it combines Z-moves, Mega Evolution, is time-limited and can be used by any Pokemon. I think GF intend to stick with it.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
The point is to have 30+ Giga forms ready and available for popular Pokémon without having to create new designs.
I don't see what's so difficult to understand about this.

(The stat boosts could and should be redone, though, to balance a handful of Megas.)
It also stops a ton of designs that people like from being thrown in the trash.
I feel pretty confident in saying current GF would care less about Giritina and his crusty lore and instead expanding on Arceus, especially since multiple worlds is a thing now.
Delta Episode was both Rayquaza and Deoxys, they could easily do both Giritina and Arceus, especially since Giritina's story is tied to Arceus.
It doesn't really make sense to turn Megas into Gigantamax forms. They are their own thing and will still be used for other stuff. It would also be weird from a lore perspective and there's more money in new designs.
Easy explanation, they are a similar type of energy that causes similar things to happen to Pokemon.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
There's a greater than 90% chance Distortion World is never brought up or referenced in any way in a DP remake
Nah. I am more confident about Platinum being used far more than Emeralds content back when ORAS was made. Emerald was literally just the Battle Frontier and Rayquaza's involvement, with some minor stuff that was replaced with better alternatives in ORAS. Meanwhile Platinum's changes are far more significant:
Entirely new Area with Story
Battle Frontier
New Dex allowing for a more varied amount of Pokemon
New postgame vignettes, including Charon and Rotom.
All of this can be repurposed for Gen 8.

-Distortion world has a connection to the Energy Source for DMax/Gmax.
-The stat trainers can all get small post game stories for each legendary, including mythicals. This was already somewhat there in DPt, but they can expand Cresselia and Darkrai to include Cheryl for example, or have that little girl be the one with nightmares. They can also act as rivals if they decide to have a tournament in Sinnoh.
-I'm also adamant the Battle Frontier will return, after SwSh has multiple facilties in the London City. That place is gonna be postgame and it shows.
-Rotom story with Charon's role expanded. I'm also fairly certain he will get a cameo in Galar, akin to Colress in Alola.
Besides the Battle Frontier, that island has the chance to bring the Wild Area to Sinnoh alongside the Underground. In fact Sinnoh has a lot of mini wild area style areas they can make, but the Island is definitely a chance for a Galar Size one.
I don't think they're recycling Megas for Gigantamax forms, because they're two different concepts, and like, brand-wise, we have official artwork and name for Gigantamax forms. Under this premise, Mega Gardevoir and Gigantamax Gardevoir would have the same artwork, etc which just would sound, off. And that also would lead to the false idea that Gigantamax and Mega evolution are the same, so Gigantamax Alcremie is basically its mega evolution too.

Repurposing concepts would be as if Giratina Origin Forme would've suddenly become Giratina Altered Forme's Mega Evolution in Gen VI. That would be just wrong.

So I don't doubt Mewtwo or Charizard are getting Gigantamax forms but I think they will be completely new designs.
They can repurpose Megas as Gigas with the explination that Gigas are the true form of megas. I don't see them bringing back Megas or Z-Moves at all in the future, nor as a postgame feature for competitive, so they have to do SOMETHING with them. For example the moves changing to something else depending on type and if its attack or status is already Z-Moves in all but name, so why not megas becoming Giga Forms? Mega Gardevoir for example becomes G-Gardevoir, Mega Pidgeot G-Pidgeot and so on so forth.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Besides the Battle Frontier, that island has the chance to bring the Wild Area to Sinnoh alongside the Underground. In fact Sinnoh has a lot of mini wild area style areas they can make, but the Island is definitely a chance for a Galar Size one.
That would be neat.
As for multiple Wild Areas, unless SwSh has a second one hidden somewhere I don't think any games in Gen 8 will have more than one, I think the idea of multiple Wild Areas will be saved for Gen 9. What I could see them doing is giving full camera control at all times to the player in the DP remakes and adjusting the many long routes to take better advantage of that, so while they wouldn't be wild areas they would still be large areas with camera control.
Nah. I am more confident about Platinum being used far more than Emeralds content back when ORAS was made. Emerald was literally just the Battle Frontier and Rayquaza's involvement, with some minor stuff that was replaced with better alternatives in ORAS. Meanwhile Platinum's changes are far more significant:
Entirely new Area with Story
Battle Frontier
New Dex allowing for a more varied amount of Pokemon
New postgame vignettes, including Charon and Rotom.
All of this can be repurposed for Gen 8.

-Distortion world has a connection to the Energy Source for DMax/Gmax.
-The stat trainers can all get small post game stories for each legendary, including mythicals. This was already somewhat there in DPt, but they can expand Cresselia and Darkrai to include Cheryl for example, or have that little girl be the one with nightmares. They can also act as rivals if they decide to have a tournament in Sinnoh.
-I'm also adamant the Battle Frontier will return, after SwSh has multiple facilties in the London City. That place is gonna be postgame and it shows.
-Rotom story with Charon's role expanded. I'm also fairly certain he will get a cameo in Galar, akin to Colress in Alola.
Don't forget that they also altered the gym order, which drastically improved the pacing.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
That would be neat.
As for multiple Wild Areas, unless SwSh has a second one hidden somewhere I don't think any games in Gen 8 will have more than one, I think the idea of multiple Wild Areas will be saved for Gen 9. What I could see them doing is giving full camera control at all times to the player in the DP remakes and adjusting the many long routes to take better advantage of that, so while they wouldn't be wild areas they would still be large areas with camera control.
That I can definitely see. In any case, the more I see of SwSh, the more confident I feel Gen 8 will be using its engine and not Let's Go. The routes and that one Cave we have seen are 100% Grid Map Pokemon, they can dial things down and remake Sinnoh in that style with ease. Not to mention that this could be the first time they will have a chance to make one of the older regions in Full 3D, and despite them being Gamefreak I don't see them passing it up.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see what's so difficult to understand about this

Again, lol at coming up with a brand new mechanic for their new gen, only to use old designs rather than advertising exciting new ones instead. Not to mention it being needlessly confusing to repurpose Mega designs for the new mechanic that has nothing to do with it in the first place.

I get that people want the Mega designs to be preserved in some way, but there's little reason for GF to do this.

For you to think that Pokemon that had Mega forms all have a real chance of getting Gigantomax forms that have the exact same changed typing, ability, etc. is pretty optimistic on your part.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Again, lol at coming up with a brand new mechanic for their new gen, only to use old designs rather than advertising exciting new ones instead. Not to mention it being needlessly confusing to repurpose Mega designs for the new mechanic that has nothing to do with it in the first place.

I get that people want the Mega designs to be preserved in some way, but there's little reason for GF to do this.
Uh, recycling Mega designs wouldn't stop them from marketing the new designs.
It really wouldn't be confusing and could be explained in universe very easily.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, recycling Mega designs wouldn't stop them from marketing the new designs.
It really wouldn't be confusing and could be explained in universe very easily.

We were talking about the idea of giving Pokemon that could Mega Evolve Gigantomax forms that would continue to use those same designs rather than advertising those Pokemon getting a brand look/form. So yes, it literally does stop them from marketing new designs... since they wouldn't exist as a result. Unless you're trying to argue that they'd all get two separate Gigantmax designs, which I'm pretty sure you're not.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
We were talking about the idea of giving Pokemon that could Mega Evolve Gigantomax forms that would continue to use those same designs rather than advertising those Pokemon getting a brand look/form. So yes, it literally does stop them from marketing new designs... since they wouldn't exist as a result. Unless you're trying to argue that they'd all get two separate Gigantmax designs, which I'm pretty sure you're not.
I'm saying that the Mega designs would be in adition to the 15-20 new Gigantamax designs. Those new designs would get the main marketing. Obviously anything with a recycled Mega design wouldn't have a unique Gigantamax design separate from those, unless they want to play favorites with Charizard or something.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Question, would Ground/Fairy make for a good type combination?
As long as it had good moves and stats, yeah.
D6JFbGT.png

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Again, lol at coming up with a brand new mechanic for their new gen, only to use old designs rather than advertising exciting new ones instead.

They can, and have, adverstised the new ones, though, since we are still speculating about Mega desgins being brought back.

For you to think that Pokemon that had Mega forms all have a real chance of getting Gigantomax forms that have the exact same changed typing, ability, etc. is pretty optimistic on your part.

Maybe.
But since Kanghaskan without Parental Bond or Mega Lopunny without its Fighting type would be pretty weird.

Obviously anything with a recycled Mega design wouldn't have a unique Gigantamax design separate from those, unless they want to play favorites with Charizard or something.

Yeah I tend to agree, and I also believe that Charizard will have something different than its own Mega form, because Leon has one.
Hopefully, a merged form of its two Megas as a Giga form, so a Dragon with Drought.

But, now that I think about it, fire G-Moves probably set the sun, so Drought is not even needed.
So Gigantamax Charizard = Fire/Dragon with Tough Claw and high Special Attack.

Nov 14, 2017
Gamefreak could even drop a line of world-building dialogue at some point in the story stating something like "The clouds that form over Gigantamax Pokemon emit a similar energy to a phenomenon found in Kalos and Hoenn."

And then later when the Kalos remakes happen, they just bring back the unique Gigantamax designs as those Pokemon's mega evolutions and the cycle is complete.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
So i watched the e3 tree house footage(I know. I'm late) and I really like the idea of the wild area. It looks cool to me honestly as well as the Max Raid battles. I'm still very split on this game but i really do like how the wild area is so far. Maybe it's something they can improve on in future games

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Instead of gaining a G-Max move they can still gain whatever megas gave them, I see no reason why they cannot change types or abilities. Megas repurposed as Gigas means that they can have a far larger pool of choices for the meta right off the bat, instead of limiting themselves to 20-30 pokemon you could have over 60.
Gamefreak could even drop a line of world-building dialogue at some point in the story stating something like "The clouds that form over Gigantamax Pokemon emit a similar energy to a phenomenon found in Kalos and Hoenn."

And then later when the Kalos remakes happen, they just bring back the unique Gigantamax designs as those Pokemon's mega evolutions and the cycle is complete.
Megas cause so much strain on Pokemon the energy gained causes pain and turns them feral. Gigantamax uses the same energy and because of the growth in size these Pokemon can now enjoy the process and truly work together with their trainer without harm. Boom, its logical and addsnsome depth to the lore.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying that the Mega designs would be in adition to the 15-20 new Gigantamax designs. Those new designs would get the main marketing. Obviously anything with a recycled Mega design wouldn't have a unique Gigantamax design separate from those, unless they want to play favorites with Charizard or something.

Like I said, if you're going to go through the trouble of letting all those same Pokemon be capable of Gigantmaxing, it makes far more sense from a marketing perspective to just give them new designs altogether in order to better help hype up the flashy new mechanic. Even more so when the alternative is needlessly confusing, regardless of whether or not you believe it could be justified in-universe.

Repurposing their Mega designs would only be a superficial compromise. Also as a consumer who likes many of those Mega designs, I'd laugh if they actually tried to pull that shit.

I mean, I get the underlying concern, that some would much rather prefer for Mega designs to stick around one way or another as opposed to the very real possibility that an older Pokemon in Gen 9 may have to worry about losing access to two forms/designs instead of just one. But I'm pretty confident that GameFreak doesn't see it that way. Hell, outside of the clear favorites like Charizard, I wouldn't be surprised if none of those Pokemon get a Gigantmax form to begin with.

Critiquing them for cutting Mega Evolution entirely in general, yes that's more than fair. But what people are suggesting here, I'm definitely not gonna act like it's this slam dunk idea that GF is crazy for not doing.

They can, and have, adverstised the new ones, though, since we are still speculating about Mega desgins being brought back.

Huh? They have yet to market an older Pokemon getting a Gigantmax form. When I say new ones, I'm talking about how it makes far more sense for them to give those older Pokemon a different design from what their Mega Evolution forms looked like.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Huh? They have yet to market an older Pokemon getting a Gigantmax form. When I say new ones, I'm talking about how it makes far more sense for them to give those older Pokemon a different design from what their Mega Evolution forms looked like.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood what your point was, I hope that, at the very least, you got the answer you were looking for as per your initial question.

What's the point of giving a Pokemon a Gigantomax form only to have it look exactly like their Mega forms?

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get why anyone wants this (or expects them to) when it'd make far more sense to advertise a brand new form. What's the point of giving a Pokemon a Gigantomax form only to have it look exactly like their Mega forms? It'd feel lazy and not to mention superficial, since they wouldn't get their changed typings and stat boosts.
fan service

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, if you're going to go through the trouble of letting all those same Pokemon be capable of Gigantmaxing, it makes far more sense from a marketing perspective to just give them new designs altogether in order to better help hype up the flashy new mechanic. Even more so when the alternative is needlessly confusing, regardless of whether or not you believe it could be justified in-universe.
Reusing the Mega designs would save a ton of time and allow there to be far more Gigantamax forms right out of the gate than they had with Megas.

Repurposing their Mega designs would only be a superficial compromise. Also as a consumer who likes many of those Mega designs, I'd laugh if they actually tried to pull that shit.
Better than the alternative of them just being gone.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
yeah i would love another 'episode' like that

i am worried about that as well though. ORAS took almost no inspiration from Emerald, so I'm worried DP remakes won't consider Platinum.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I really cannot imagine them cutting out the distortion world. It's not that much work to put in to begin with. That whole area is window dressing. If anything, I can only see them expand on it.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
I really cannot imagine them cutting out the distortion world. It's not that much work to put in to begin with. That whole area is window dressing. If anything, I can only see them expand on it.
Plus the difference between D/P and Platinum is gigantic. They have to recognize it especially with the problems the original two had. Should be doable by making Distortion World postgame storyline.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

That'd just be lame to me, if ur gonna do a new form that's effectively replacing Mega Evolutions, then actually give me a new design to distinguish them with.

With Dynamax at least, while it wouldn't make any sense either (and I don't expect it as a result of that), at least that would've been fine since Mega designs > a Pokemon getting bigger

Reusing the Mega designs would save a ton of time and allow there to be far more Gigantamax forms right out of the gate than they had with Megas.

I don't have any real opinion on how many Gigantmax forms they should have, so a potentially low number of them wouldn't bother me anyhow. I only know that I don't expect those designs to be repackaged because I have no real reason to expect GameFreak to do that.

Better than the alternative of them just being gone.

I would still prefer actually getting new designs.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
That'd just be lame to me, if ur gonna do a new form that's effectively replacing Mega Evolutions, then actually give me a new design to distinguish them with.

With Dynamax at least, while it wouldn't make any sense either (and I don't expect it as a result of that), at least that would've been fine since Mega designs > a Pokemon getting bigger

i agree with you

im just saying fan service would be a reason to do it

i think gamefreak only cares about fanservice if it appeals to genwunners though

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Remaking Diamond and Pearl while expanding them through Platinum additions would be the ideal. For me personally, have the distortion world as part of the endgame and add Origin Formes for Dialga and Palkia while there.
oh Origin forms for Dialga and Palkia is a great idea

I wonder if Dynamax/Gigantamax will carry over to Sinnoh though like Mega Evolution did for ORAS

in that case maybe we should just expect Gigantamax Dialga and Palkia

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece

I wonder if Dynamax/Gigantamax will carry over to Sinnoh though like Mega Evolution did for ORAS

Sinnoh has enough corporations and local businesses where they can do Stadiums and endorsements. Shit they can go full cartoon evil with Team Galactic operating as a telecommunications business with Cyrus wanting to create a new universe with him as this omnipotent god who can view everything through his giant satellite network.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Sinnoh has enough corporations and local businesses where they can do Stadiums and endorsements. Shit they can go full cartoon evil with Team Galactic operating as a telecommunications business with Cyrus wanting to create a new universe with him as this omnipotent god who can view everything through his giant satellite network.
even beyond story stuff like that, Gamefreak usually doesn't get rid of these mechanics within a generation

Mega Evolution was pervasive through gen 6 and Z moves through Gen 7 (not counting let's go)

so I don't think they'll get rid of Dynamax/Gigantamax unti Gen 9, if they choose to do so

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

I expect Dynamax and Gigantamax to be in the DP remakes, however I don't think Dialga and Palkia's new forms will be Gigantamax forms, but something that functions pretty much the same, similar to the Primal forms for Kyogre and Groudon. Giritina on the other hand could maybe get a Gigantamax form, similar to Rayquaza getting a Mega.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Still annoyed they basically gave up on this idea

The regional forms are kinda following through on it at least but poor Arbok, even the Pokédex entries still reference which makes it even more annoying

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
I expect Dynamax and Gigantamax to be in the DP remakes, however I don't think Dialga and Palkia's new forms will be Gigantamax forms, but something that functions pretty much the same, similar to the Primal forms for Kyogre and Groudon. Giritina on the other hand could maybe get a Gigantamax form, similar to Rayquaza getting a Mega.
yeah it will probably be an off brand Gigantamax