• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Still annoyed they basically gave up on this idea

The regional forms are kinda following through on it at least but poor Arbok, even the Pokédex entries still reference which makes it even more annoying

Hoenn and Johto shared a similar pattern while Kanto and Sinnoh shared another. But yeah they dropped it by Gen 5, and I really don't get why. Hopefully there is a Galarian Arbok and perhaps an evo called Adnocana.

Heitzu

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hoenn and Johto shared a similar pattern while Kanto and Sinnoh shared another. But yeah they dropped it by Gen 5, and I really don't get why. Hopefully there is a Galarian Arbok and perhaps an evo called Adnocana.

Yeah I love seeing old art work concepts like this, it would be great if they were too ever implement these and perhaps even rework scrapped Pokemon from the Gold/Silver beta, and if all information in that leak is true then perhaps we will at least get a version of that Farfetch'd evolution.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
They can repurpose Megas as Gigas with the explination that Gigas are the true form of megas. I don't see them bringing back Megas or Z-Moves at all in the future, nor as a postgame feature for competitive, so they have to do SOMETHING with them. For example the moves changing to something else depending on type and if its attack or status is already Z-Moves in all but name, so why not megas becoming Giga Forms? Mega Gardevoir for example becomes G-Gardevoir, Mega Pidgeot G-Pidgeot and so on so forth.

I mean, they can do whatever they want at this point, but I still don't think they would use an existing form, which is even trademarked, interchangeably with a new concept. Especially since megas will still exist in Masters and other media, Pokken, Super Smash, probably the TCG and so on.

This is not like Clefairy or Snubbull changing types forever, this is simply a case where Mega evolutions won't be possible in SwSh, but it doesn't mean they're forever gone. So they can't just repurpose those designs for other things. It's as if they said that now Mewtwo will be the Gigantamax form of Mew, or that Rhyperior will be the Gigantamax form of Rhydon so they can still incorporate its design without adding an extra Pokémon. Or if they suddenly said Mega Mawile is a new Pokémon, a proper evolution of Mawile (I wouldn't mind, but that would be just weird). Things, especially Pokémon and their alternative forms, I don't think they can be recycled like that. Especially for that consistency they like to keep as Serebii explained a few pages ago.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
thank god these fuckers are finally giving farfetch'd an evolution

i hope it's still named madame

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
On Mega Evolutions - why not just reintroduce them as permanent forms?

This is Pokemon so you could justify that in a hundred different ways, but off the top of my head: would saying that the power to Mega Evolve came from the Anistar Sundial conflict with the existing lore too much? Because if not, just mention that it was destroyed in an accident and now the shards of it can be used to change those Pokemon into weaker versions of the Mega forms. Done.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

This is Pokemon so you could justify that in a hundred different ways, but off the top of my head: would saying that the power to Mega Evolve came from the Anistar Sundial conflict with the existing lore too much? Because if not, just mention that it was destroyed in an accident and now the shards of it can be used to change those Pokemon into weaker versions of the Mega forms. Done.
Permanant Megas would potentially be op even if they were weaker.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA

Mega Evolution's already been retconned in the OR/AS timeline as coming from Mega Rayquaza shattering the meteor, and in S/M it's some dubious "trust and friendship power" that piggybacks off of the Z-Ring. They've already sort of established that it can come from anywhere, so they don't even need to justify any specific way to make it permanent.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Permanant Megas would potentially be op even if they were weaker.

Please, it's not like the main games themselves are that balanced as is.

I'm actually curious if they are going to revert Gengar's nerf from Levitate to Cursed Body now that the Mega Evolution is gone (Maybe let both be an option?)

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Game Freak has broken "rules" quite often in recent years, part of me feels like we're not far from a 4 stage evolution line.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Balance changes wouldn't be impossible if Megas were retooled into permanent evolutions. Though some like M-Garchomp would still be a complete downgrade unless regular Garchomp was nerfed.

I think the bigger issue is that quite a few megas look way too similar too their original forms. Some could definitely pass, like M-Mawile.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Megas are designed as temporary changes anyways. They're not like regular evolutions, aesthetically.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Please, it's not like the main games themselves are that balanced as is.

I'm actually curious if they are going to revert Gengar's nerf from Levitate to Cursed Body now that the Mega Evolution is gone (Maybe let both be an option?)
If you feel that way I don't know why would want them to make it worse.

The Gengar change has it's benefits.

In this hypothetical, GF would have complete control over their stats and abilities.

They'd have just as much chance to be OP as any other Pokemon.
They would still have to be better than their original forms, which would still be enough to be OP in certain cases and making them like other pokemon means removing the restrictions Mega Pokemon have.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, for Pokemon that are already crazy strong, like Pseudo Legendaries, turning them into evolutions wouldn't work, but for Pokemon like Mawile it would be totally fine.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, for Pokemon that are already crazy strong, like Pseudo Legendaries, turning them into evolutions wouldn't work, but for Pokemon like Mawile it would be totally fine.
If you're only going to do it for some Pokemon with Megas and change stats + abilities you might as well just make new evolutions instead that better fit the mold of the typical evolution.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would just implement Mega's as permanent player optional evolutions as is with no changes.

A late game optional quest to unlock the optional Mega Evolutions.

In the single player game who cares? Everyone should be playing however they want to play the games.

In the multiplayer part of it just limit the items the Mega can hold. Like all the Berries and only specially made items specially made for a pacific Mega.

Make things like Eviolite no compatible with say Slowbro and other pre Mega but final forms as the Mega's wouldn't be traditional evolutions but final optional final evolutions.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
They would still have to be better than their original forms, which would still be enough to be OP in certain cases and making them like other pokemon means removing the restrictions Mega Pokemon have.
I was thinking of it more like a Lycanroc situation. They wouldn't necessarily need to have drastically better stats. Some of them would probably end up better due to typing and abilities of course, but they wouldn't always be OP.
Yeah it could be a case by case thing. Mawile could remain reasonably strong in comparison to the base form, while others would be side steps. I just think it's a shame to throw those designs in the bin.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
So, if we get something at Worlds, when will they announce it? At the finals?

Nov 14, 2017
Maybe the third form / pseudo / legendary megas could just be alt forms with different typings/abilities, but their stats remain the same to make them less broken?

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
the reveal that the original 151 are all in the game and all have their own unique Gigantamax forms!!!

EFkgjT7.gif

Gamefreak wouldn't do that to me, right?

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
So what we thinking?
Galarian Form with cross Gen evolution tomorrow? Brand new Pokémon? New Gigantimax?
In a surprise twist the reveal matches this years thematics and after the first gen since Johto not featuring Fossils, Galar will not feature 2 but 3 new Fossils and they are also the Minor Legendary Trio.
I mean

half of it is absolutely going to be true. The Legendary Birds will show up in the wild area creating storms and Mewtwo will be hiding in a raid den.
Kalos is down south if you want this dribble.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
They are going to reveal that Charizard has 3 new Gigantamax forms AND will be the very first 3rd stage pokemon to get an evolution which will get 4 unique Gigantamax forms

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I remember for X and Y's marketing, all they revealed was Mega Kangaskhan that day and nothing else.

seeds

Jun 25, 2019
Yeah, at past Worlds they've only revealed one pokemon, although Crabrawler's reveal in 2016 was quickly followed by a trailer that also revealed Sandyghast to the west if I remember correctly

I'm curious if we're also going to get a new pokemon reveal at Gamescom. They did it for OR/AS and Sun/Moon, so I think there's a decent chance it'll happen again

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I agree that some megas should just become actual evos.

Mega Banette as an actual evo would be a slam dunk. It makes perfect sense.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to swing for the fences and predict a Jynx regional evolution that looks like a wagner opera valkyrie that's ice/rock with bad stats so gamefreak can offend as many people as possible.